Is it worth converting FLAC to ALAC?

Is it worth converting FLAC to ALAC?

what have you got to lose exactly???

FLAC is best lossless codec in terms of compression and overhead.
Google it.

Is it worth converting from hetero to homosexual?

audio checksum metadata, disk space, decoding performance...

Stop using Apple products so you don't have to.

What's a decent media player where I can just fucking drop music and add it to a library?

I remember a time when the file system was the only library we needed.

You don't need anything more than V0

Yeah, I also remember a time when I used a resolution of 800x600 on 98SE like it was no big deal

Hell no.

Huh, isn't ALAC smaller in filesize?

Open the location/device that will play the music, drag&drop the flac, play it.

How hard can it be?

That's how I do it now, since it's the best way.

absolutely

alac has best compatibility with beats audio headphones of all formats because of the apple co-operation

Yes. The superior tag system and ability to embed cover art in the file makes a difference.

It's not hard, it's less convenient. If you have your music properly organized, just opening folders and clicking on flac files is stupid.

If you use iTunes, absolutely. Most of my collection is ALAC. There's no difference to FLAC except smaller filesize and artwork metadata for easy exporting.

No. And FLAC compression got even better with the last updates. Though the differences are very small.

There's nothing superior about the tag system and you can embed covers in FLAC just fine.

I add album covers and have well tagged all my FLACs

Convert your flacs to alac only if you gonna use apple ecosystem without third party players

.m4a > .flac + vorbis abomination

If I have music organized, which I have (sorted by Music\Artist\Album\Songs on my PC), I can just drag the artist I want anywhere on my phone and it will play if I add the location I dragged it to, or simply drag it into Phone\Sdcard\Music\HERE which is a folder that is created by default when you format the sdcard.
The internal memory already have a PHONE\Music location by default as well.

Not really. Alac is locked to itunes and is pretty unreliable in comparison to flac.

Flac is the recommended standard for archiving music and is It's future proof due to it's open sourcecode, while alac is bound to Apple.

convert what you need for listening and keep the flac as backups

i did that but i felt incredibly dirty afterwards

If you're using itunes? Sure. Both are lossless, it's not like you're converting to mp3 and then back again. Convert the files back and forth between lossless as needed.
If you already have a large FLAC collection, it may be more worth it to see if there are other itunes alternatives that will do what you need.

Depends on what you do with your music. It was the best choice for me since I didn't like Rockbox on my iPod

iPod Classic with SSD mod

>ALAC is locked to iTunes

BULL FUCKING SHIT - ALAC IS AN OPEN SOURCE CODEC NOW AND HAS BEEN FOR SEVERAL YEARS.

>The Apple Lossless Encoder (and decoder) were released as open source software under the Apache License version 2.0 on October 27, 2011

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

FLAC is not worth it at all unless you're archiving shit for future generations.
Don't fall for the FLAC meme.

What was that really retarded encoding Sup Forums was shilling about forever ago? its size was 96kbps and i think it was usually in a .ogg container. it's supposedly the best lossy format

Fiio X1

your post is awful, but i don't know why

>future generations
Can be burned to 10/10 audio cd.
Can be transcoded to appropriate bitrate/codec for multiple target devices.

Best lossy would be opus at 64 kbps, 96 of you are autistic.