Okay, i'm sick of windows 10. I want to try linux in Vmware, which distro should i use for a beefy pc...

Okay, i'm sick of windows 10. I want to try linux in Vmware, which distro should i use for a beefy pc? I have an i7 4770k and gtx 1070. Please give reasons why that distro is the best.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxveda.com/2015/12/30/how-to-install-arch-linux-on-uefi-systems/3/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions
hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html
epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=72185&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_10-64
youtube.com/watch?v=g7cQK8jFPzo
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

consider lubuntu, will be snapy even on a virtual machine (except maybe incredible bloated software like firefox or chrome/chromium)

it also has a pretty windows-like interface. not the best, but the one a recommend to start with.
oh, and nvidia has drivers for linux so don't worry about that 1070. the only hardware that could not be supported are some wireless cards

but you can also try lubuntu an pretty much every distro without installing them to the HDD

Thanks for the tip, i dont use wireless so that wouldn't be a problem

>which distro should i use for a beefy pc?
Any of the *buntus, Xubuntu imo.

>Please give reasons why that distro is the best
Biggest userbase and more known thus if you end up with a problem it's easier to troubleshoot.

Install ubuntu for the great range of software and install cinnamon on top of it (its a desktop environment) because it looks okay with a bit of tweaking (my favourite is minty desktop with adapta window borders and buttons and paper icons and global dark theme in gnome tweak tool)

>beefy
>VM
Just no

i7 4770k is a good cpu? im trying some buntu distros on my virtual machine with a ssd and 32gb ram. its very snappy

>
So why not just install Mint if you're going to run ubuntu + cinnamon?

Install Ubuntu MATE or Ubuntu GNOME

A ubuntu variant.

don't be a pussy, just install it on your bare metal

I would rather not, still testing out. Dont want to lose 8tb of my data you know?

are you so incompetent that you don't know how to partition properly?

OP just wants to try it in a VM. Try reading.

Ubuntu comes with a bloated DesktopEnvironment but if your PC is beefy it shouldn't matter.
Still, you'll get better use out of your hardware with less bloat and a careful configuration.

If I were you OP, trying Linux for the first time, I'd start with Ubuntu and switch to Arch when you get comfy with command line interfaces.

The Gentoo argument seems fishy. Installing from source seems error prone and unneccessary. But I haven't tried it yet and could be wrong.

>switch to Arch
oh boy here we go

I just really hate the ubuntu package management system.
A combination of pacman and yaourt gets you everything you'll ever need and keeps it simple (stupid).

chill out, man. It "just works"

...wait, is that apple? Now I'm all mixed up.

Yeah i noticed that arch was a really good OS, i might install it with a tutorial if i'm more advanced with linux.

Yeah, i fucked up the partitioning on my mediaserver so i lost like 2tb of my data. I still need to know how to partition. I might install linux on a native laptop, i have an i3 4010u laptop which i got for free, it's just sitting around, it has no use

Arch is not for newbies actually. I'd suggest antergos

The disk management tool in Windows is a safe place to partition. There should never be a reason to fuck up your disk just because you're dual booting or resizing partitions.

>Ubuntu comes with a bloated DesktopEnvironment but if your PC is beefy it shouldn't matter.
>Still, you'll get better use out of your hardware with less bloat and a careful configuration.

You hardware doing less is not getting better use of it

No need to get that extreme. Sure it drops you at a terminal, but there really isn't that much to the installation process. You're basically taking a 'build-it-yourself' distro and making it build-it-itself.

Why do you have 8TB on your workstation and not on a server ?

You sir, are an asshole.

>You hardware doing less
You have control of your CPU usage, rather than wasting it on shitty animated launch bars. Kill yourself.

I have a server too, i bought 4x6TB hdd's on my workstation for 4k raw editing

install gentoo

Why the fuck would you ever use any windows tools for partitioning when things like gparted live cd exist?

There is a minimum at how low your cpu frequency can go. Letting your CPU doing tons of NOOPs surely is a good use of your hardware.

You can't install Arch without knowing nano and partitioning. You also gotta know some bash

Wat now

put a weeaboo wallpaper and you're set for desktop threads

I don't like anime

I didn't say anything about filling it with NOOPs.
You honestly think you have to have a bloated DE to get high usage? Why am I talking to you?

Pretty sure you don't need to know nano

Linux Mint doesnt have as much software and support as Ubuntu. Linux Mint also has a few problems that other distros don't like much slower security updates.

use it?

No you don't.
linuxveda.com/2015/12/30/how-to-install-arch-linux-on-uefi-systems/3/

Thanks swapnil

Nano literally prints the usage instructions and hotkeys at the bottom of the console.

What? You want to tell me you regularly max out your CPU? That's even more ridiculous than trying to minimize load.

Swapnil is cool, but I don't think he wastes time on Sup Forums. I used one of his older guides on my first install, and beside a few tweaks and arch user guide consults it was pretty much gold.

Hardcoded guides like this are dangerous to novices. You shouldn't suggest that.

This guy has never run a brute force program in his life

Installing a distro on bare metal is fucking stupid because most new users churn through MANY distros while learning.

Bare metal installs made sense ten years ago, not anymore.

Ignore distro zealots and visit real Linux forums instead of chinese propaganda poster art forums.

Start with Ubuntu, but since disk space is cheap you can run a variety of distros and not care.

Well, obviously, why would I?

That's why VMs are beautiful to learn on.

Fuck bare metal except for gayming, and Linux isn't for gayming.

That's why I suggested starting with newbuntu and switching to something less bloated when he's comfy.

Distrohopping is fucking stupid as well

this guy thinks p=np apparently

BTW Linux isn't for printing either since all Linux printer drivers suck except those for ancient era HP Laserjets.

Make your host Windows and you can work on Linux while using Windows as an external peripheral interface. Copy to and from a shared folder as needed.

>Distrohopping is fucking stupid as well

Agreed, but people DO it and VMs make it easy. Without SAMPLING other distros one cannot make an informed choice.

lolwut
Never had a problem with CUPS and I have like 6 different printers

What? HP Printer/scanners work fine in Linux.

And if your printer has android client, you can run android apps in Linux as well

slackware for programmers

He probably heard some ancient rant about printers on Linux from the pre-cups era.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/arch_compared_to_other_distributions

I have a hp envy 4500 it works well?

Well Epson CX5600 is not supported on Windows 10 and even with Windows 8.1 drivers doesn't work.

Yeah, pretty much. you can set up shared folders with your host to transfer files. Then just try using the guest as your main machine and see if it fits your needs. Bear in mind that VMs can be a little laggy and if you have any problems try google first then post in sqt if you can't resolve it.

Hopefully linux will work out for you but if not just delete the VM and forget all about it.

hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install_wizard/index.html

Yes i used this

>epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=72185&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_10-64

Can you read user? That one is CX5000, doesn't work either.

Have anyone tried yet to run Windows 7 or 8.1 with Skylake cpus?

Yeah it's hard to say whether people will like it more than Windows when you don't know what they're trying to do with their computer.

I really don't like virtualizing unless I'm doing something that needs to be sandboxed. It's good for kali and other potentially dangerous program testing.

>beefy PC
>lists a "gaming graphics card"

hah

What do you mean with "try"? Do you think it wouldn't work or something?

I use cuda cores for editing.

Just try Linux Mint since you're a noob

You can edit video with any mid range card without difference in performance.

youtube.com/watch?v=g7cQK8jFPzo

Gentoo

you have the processing power support it and it's extremely customizable. Debian or minimal Gentoo is also good too, but yum isn't as good as portage IMHO.

Whatever you do don't go with a distro that has X preinstalled as you're just wasting your time in the long run

>*minimal Ubuntu

Fedora has yum, Debian has apt-get.

yum isn't ubuntu. it actually doesn't even exist anymore. It was so shit that Fedora got rid of it and replaced it with dnf.

right.

You should go for Gentoo
It has a steeper learning curve, but once you get around it you can build your own system fine tuned to your needs and you also compile your packages optimized for your own boxen