Humorous ashtray memes aside, it's still incredible how compact they were able to make a dual-GPU workstation desktop

Humorous ashtray memes aside, it's still incredible how compact they were able to make a dual-GPU workstation desktop.

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013/14
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

...which still does a so-so job at cooling the darn thing, leading to all the components being on a strict TDP limit.
It wasn't bad enough that many of the components weren't especially high-end even by 2013 standards, but they also had to throttle them on top of that. Literally the only impressive thing was their exclusive 1TB m.2 SSDs, which are only starting to come out en-mass just now.

Are trash cans the coolest new meme in tech?

No such thing as an Apple turd that other companies wouldn't want to copy.

wtf are you talking about. Each test made with the trashcan confirmed that the cooling was incredible. You can't get this thing to go over 60 degrees, even with rendering 4k files

Literally the only way to make the trashcan run into any thermal limits is running furmark and prime95 at the same time, which is not a realistic workload.
For actual real life workloads it has more than enough cooling

>Doesn't actually copy the thermal design
>Only copies outer shape
>Still ruins it with edgy gamer design
>$4000
possibly the worst computer ever made

Inside, it's just a motherboard cut in three that forms a triangular prism. I wouldn't call that amazing.

You must have missed some tests then.

The fully specced 12 core trashcan overheats and throttles at full load.

you forgot that those tests run under windows lel
If they did one thing right it was the cooling

better link those tests.
inb4 furmark+prime95

That's not how it works. A properly designed computer is supposed to handle every software stress test without going to 100 C.

Because you don't really know what a "real life workload" will be. At best you can just speculate that it will never go that far.

Another fun fact: that Anand test was done in the the middle of winter.

so a normal workload is buying a 3000 dollar OS X machine to load up windows and use furmark and prime95
ok buddy

The Mac Pro moved the PSU to the top? Why?

>inb4 furmark+prime95
Yes, because that's somehow not valid, right?
Dumbass faggot. What should they do? Load it to just 50%? 80%?

You're making all Applefags look bad with your blind fanboyism. Just admit that the cooling is bad and move on.

> I have to work pretty hard to get the fan to spin up under OS X, but in Windows it’s a lot easier since I can just toss a single multi-GPU workload at the problem.
Great reviewing, Anandtech. Good stuff. Thank goodness I don't frequent this retarded site
Sup Forums is getting dumber day by day. I thought this was nerdy stuff but it's just autist with no clue spouting nonsense

lol at this macfag getting mad over FACTS

go suck steve jobs dead dick you faggot

you're not going to get good discussion about a workstation computer from a board that revels in screenfetch threads and endless bait

To line up with the optical drives so the covers look nice.

And possibly also because the later G5s with water cooling quite often leaked right onto the PSU killing it.

>liquid cooled workstation
what was Apple thinking?

>And possibly also because the later G5s with water cooling quite often leaked right onto the PSU killing it.
But there's never been a liquid-cooled Mac Pro

Silence

You know you're doing something right when the only thing they can complain about is how it looks like a trash can.

Apple is amazing at design regardless of what people think. Yes, I know about THAT picture, but all of that has a purpose. Mouse is like that because they want people using it as a wireless instead of wired mouse. More shekels and such.

Anyways, instead of just having a big boring box and adding more fans to it, Apple took a risk.

It makes a lot of sense and it works really well. Look up the videos on it. It's such a smart efficient design. And it's not a manbaby machine so it doesn't have to be a big box with shining lights nor does it need any of the functionality that comes with said box.

It's a Mac. It just works. Now their design just works too. Also saves a ton of space in design offices and such as they often use iMacs and having computers in offices does take up space quickly.

Apple is designing perfectly for the field they're in. All praise the trash can you jelly freetards.

:^)

Blame IBM for making the 970MP housefire CPUs, nearly 200W peak each.

They never needed to, intel kept power reasonable with the core 2 family, and with the Nehalem models, apple put in much bigger heatsinks.

>They never needed to
I never said they did need to, I'm saying that the LCS isn't a reason for the PSU at the top because liquid cooled Mac Pros are nonexistent.

wtf are you talking about shithead. The fact is that this thing DOESN'T throttle under any load in OS X
sigh. The amount of graphic cards threads gives it away. What's a tech discussion board which isn't filled with silly gaymurs?

They might have wanted to keep it as a possible option.

But yeah, it was most likely done for aesthetic reasons.

Exactly the point dipshit, it's throttling and won't go over 60C, no matter what load you put on it.

Humorous ashtray memes aside, it's still incredible how compact they were able to make a portable incinerator.

No, it throttles when it reaches around 100 degrees.

Also someone said it doesn't happen at "normal" loads. Well, scroll down to the bottom and see that it comes really really close, probably over 90 degrees:
anandtech.com/show/7603/mac-pro-review-late-2013/14

tl;dr: the cooling is pretty bad for a workstation that is supposed to be a 100% reliable machine.
The PSU is most likely underspecced as well.

I think it's actually due to how the fans are arranged.

mactoddler needing a small computer because his apartment is too small due to spending all his money on computers

>Benches run under Windows
>When Apple is known to write shitty Windows drivers that cause hot running and low performance
I expected more from Anandtech... Then again people who bash apple do tend to be of the barely computer literate gay-murr types.

If OSX doesn't load the CPU and GPU to the maximum _when required_ it's not a good thing, quite the opposite. Power saving at idle is irrelevant here.
But probably Windows was used simply because more tests like this are available.
Anyway, it doesn't matter, it shows what the cooling system can do.

Also, Anand is an Apple fanboy that literally works at Apple now.