/tpg/ Thinkpad General

/tpg/ Thinkpad General

Boner-inducing dedication edition

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.it/itm/New-for-lenovo-IBM-Thinkpad-X230-T430-T530-Original-Backlit-Laptop-Keyboard-UK-/161406087860?hash=item25948d72b4:g:yX8AAOSwQItT~eWK
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X250-Intel-Core-i5-5200U-8GB-500GB-12-5-FHD-Win8-1Pro-Warranty-/302023704463
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L520-i5-2-5ghz-16GB-320GB-Windows-7-Webcam-15-6-Warranty-/251283007314?hash=item3a81a26752:g:FwoAAMXQYwFRh9Gj
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>tfw dad let me borrow the keys to his ultimate business machine™

My x200 has started getting really hot lately.

I can't tell if it's a new chrome update, or if the thermal compound is decaying.
The fan is running nearly at 100% at all times, and using thinkfan only slows down the fan and makes the keyboard warm to the touch.
I can smell the wood veneer of my desk getting toasted underneath.

Should I reapply thermal paste?

Has it been a slow ramp up to running hot, or is it just doing it all of a sudden? Have you checked your processes for suspicious/excessive use?

it's been getting worse over a period of 4 months, yes.

the only active process is chrome and it's threads, which don't go past 0.35 cpu usage anyway

hmm it's more like 40-47 for me, but the ambient temperature is pretty high.

>chrome
found the problem
don't use chrome on a laptop, or even a weeker desktop.
only use crhome on a fairly decent machine with at least 8 gigs of ram

Hi guys, just a question
I fucked up the keyboard ribbon connector of my X230 Tablet and i'm going to replace it. Is it equal to the X230 (non tablet) one?
I want to buy this ebay.it/itm/New-for-lenovo-IBM-Thinkpad-X230-T430-T530-Original-Backlit-Laptop-Keyboard-UK-/161406087860?hash=item25948d72b4:g:yX8AAOSwQItT~eWK but i'm not sure

Yes, all mechanically and electronically the same. Someone even came up with a modded BIOS that allows you to use an X220 keyboard (praise the Lord), but a small amount of dremelling is required.

T430
i7 -3520M
6 GB DDR3L
500GB HDD
NVIDIA NVS 5400M

340€ shipped

Did I do good?

>he's a spec whore that thinks he needs Sandy/Ivy Bridge in his 12" shitposting machine
>he doesn't own the single greatest X series and possibly the only X series Thinkpad worth owning
>1440x900 screen standard on all models
>superior *60/*61/**00 keyboard layout
>low-voltage i7 provides sufficient shitposting power without burning down the house
>has real locking latches and physical trackpad buttons
>can even remove trackpad entirely with an X200s palmrest swap for the patrician Thinkpad experience
What's your excuse, /tpg/?

I'm poor.

Those are rare as hen's teeth. How'd you land one?

I completely agree with you that it's the best non-square x-series. Do that palmrest swap, btw.

Hey guys so you know the latch on the T420 that you push to lift the screen? Well it jammed on mine to be permanently in the open position. Would it be possible to take apart the laptop to fix it? How hard would it be?

>i7
>thinkpad
those are house fire tier user

Because the seller won't respond ;_;

>Including stupid vape shit in the OP
Someone make a new thread

Remove the screws around the screen and check it out. Most of them are under annoying black stickers. Check out some disassembly video or guide.

>Should I reapply thermal paste?
but it's an soc. where would you apply paste?

Managed to actually find a listing on ebay and fought like a motherfucker for it. Some cunt tried to snipe me at the end but my max bid was high enough to stop him. $450+$36 shipping in the end, worth every penny

Why would I need to disassemble the screen?? The issue is with the switch that you push.

you can pull the fan assembly off and get at the CPU

>with a modded BIOS that allows you to use an X220 keyboard
you're shitting me? You can't use it with stock BIOS?

because I didn't find one when they weren't priced to cater to the hobbyist market

oh, from the bottom. I see now. Haven't had heat issues on my X200/X200T yet fortunately

Would people move over to it?

>you're shitting me? You can't use it with stock BIOS?

No shit retard, all the key mapping are different

oh fuck. I completely didn't think about that

I only started using the newer Gookobo """"""Thinkpads""""" recently

Installing win 10 ltsb on a t420. Any
Anything I should know to look out for?

Fun fact: Lenovo was making ThinkPads BEFORE IBM sold off the division

Somebody sell me their fucking x240, i cant find them anywhere for sub 700 usd

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X250-Intel-Core-i5-5200U-8GB-500GB-12-5-FHD-Win8-1Pro-Warranty-/302023704463

why would you do that to the poor thinkpad

I'm not even comparing them to IBM era laptops. When they acquired the brand from IBM they continued producing decent quality laptops for a while. All they had to do was keep the same formula and add options and internal improvements to the battery, screen etc. No, they had to return to their Chinese nature and start gimping on quality and slapping the logo on any consumer piece of shit with a black matte finish

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L520-i5-2-5ghz-16GB-320GB-Windows-7-Webcam-15-6-Warranty-/251283007314?hash=item3a81a26752:g:FwoAAMXQYwFRh9Gj

Why the fuck is this L model so expensive? Is there anything that makes this L520 worth money? I can get a bunch of them for cheap

I know nothing about the L line besides that I should avoid it as it's basically a cheaper T

Opening images by default is broken. Can be fixed by running:
reg add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open" /v "MuiVerb" /t REG_SZ /d "@photoviewer.dll,-3043" /f
reg add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\command" /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\rundll32.exe \"%%ProgramFiles%%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll\", ImageView_Fullscreen %%1" /f
reg add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget" /v "Clsid" /t REG_SZ /d "{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}" /f
reg add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\command" /ve /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\rundll32.exe \"%%ProgramFiles%%\Windows Photo Viewer\PhotoViewer.dll\", ImageView_Fullscreen %%1" /f
reg add "HKCR\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\print\DropTarget" /v "Clsid" /t REG_SZ /d "{60fd46de-f830-4894-a628-6fa81bc0190d}" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.bmp" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.gif" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.ico" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.jpeg" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.jpg" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.png" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.tiff" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "PhotoViewer.FileAssoc.Tiff" /f[/code[

maybe someone will take the bait

Looks like some greedy jew fuck thinks he can get away with selling a used laptop for its new price. Also looks like some retard already enabled him. $800 is way too much for even a top-spec W520, never mind a poorly-specced budget laptop.

looks like one person that can't into research already fell for it

what do you think is the right price for an L520 with about those specs (i5, 4gb ram, 15'' screen)? I don't even see many for sale to get an idea of the pricing for these

>a top-spec W520
yeah, I was thinking the same since I pay attention to the W520 market

The same people still design ThinkPads.

under a new company that thinks the only market type for laptops in this world is macbook and macbook clones

Awesome, thanks. Any driver issues?

I have a quad core i7 (OP pic related)

Haven't burned up yet

sup /tpg/.

I have a cracked palmrest on my t430s

the seller on ebay provided an additional palmrest assembly with a fucked up touchpad.

Is there any way to debond the touchpad from the palmrest so I can replace it?

>implying "designers" have choices

>modded BIOS
don't confuse people.
The BIOS has nothing to do with keyboard handling. All the hardwork of scanning the keyboard matrix is done by the Embedded Controller(EC).
The Fn/Ctrl swap is done by the EC itself and controlled by the BIOS

Damn, son. I fully understand why though. She's a beaut. Enjoy it.

I've been wanting to do an x200/1 with the IPS mod. I secretly love glossy panels anyway.

because it throttles itself to prevent that.
And I can't tolerate throttling.

>I can't tell if it's a new chrome update
kek

Shut down the X200 and repaste immediately

I ran it fine on my x200, albeit not for long.

Just found out i could change the splash screen.
I think it came out nicely

I've had my X220 for a few days now and I have a question

Why the fuck does this thing seem to perform better when it's not plugged in? Seriously, what the fuck? Everything is snappy as fuck when I'm just using the battery, but when I'm plugged in everything is slow as fuck.

I've noticed I can play high bitrate animu when I'm unplugged, but when it's plugged in MPC shits itself

Thinking of getting an x220. How bad is the low resolution though? Does it bother you?

Power options > high performance powerplan
if neccesary change plan settings > processor power management > maximum processor state to 100%

>I've had my X220 for a few days now and I have a question

did you do clean os install? if not then check power settings either in windows or in bios

>maximum processor state to 100%

Whoa where do you see this option?
I'm on Windows 8.1

What BIOS settings?
I've taken a look there but there doesn't seem to be anything relevant for this

system performance on ac and on battery
turbo and maximum turbo are obvious, balanced means full power but no turbo and low means perma downclock to 800MHz

if the option isnt there you could be missing important drivers.
Also upgrade to windows 10

All right, will mess with those settings and report back

>Windows 10
>upgrade

No.
Also I found that setting. It was already on 100% max so that's not it

>downgrading to windows 10
good joke

It bothered me enough to seek out the mythical X201s, but only because my main machine is a 4:3 UXGA T601F. If you're coming from 16:9 or even 16:10, it'll probably be fine.

run powercfg -restoredefaultschemes in an elevated (administrator) cmd window

It's not like windows 7/8 is any better with the recent telemetry updates
Besides i blocked fucking everything Microsoft related in my pfsense router.

thinkpad p50s or Xiaomi Mi notebook?

>recent telemetry updates
Who the fuck installs anything else than Security Updates?

I need a sleeve for my thinkpad t430, the Lenovo 14" sleeve got horrible reviews saying it was too big, I need recommendations on a good sleeve

If price isn't a factor definitely the p50s

Either way I'd wait for reviews on the mi laptop.

here

Okay fug, changing the BIOS power settings didn't help either.

It still runs better on the battery

Anybody that doesn't care or is too dumb to know.

You'll be moving to windows 10 around 2020 anyway. Might as well get it for """"""""""""free""""""""""" while you can.

If people really cared about their privacy 2020 will be the year of the GNU/Linux desktop, but i don't see that happen.

Is undervolting your CPU harmful?

>Might as well get it for """"""""""""free""""""""""" while you can
but every version of windows is gratis with ms toolkit :^)

maybe by 2020 they fix the shitty ui

So the ExpressCard SD card reader in my T420s stopped working awhile ago. I happened to get another one the other day and I just tried it and it also does nothing.

It shows up when I do lspci. But when I put an SD card in nothing happens. The SD card doesn't even show up in disks.

What could be causing this? I'm running Fedora 23.

All this does is reset the power schemes, right? Already tried that but still no change in AC performance.

Also this.
It baffles my mind people actually pay money to use Microshit's shitty OSs

I need a good Thinkpad that I can run Windows 7 on through 2020. After that I'm switching to Mac. What model under $1000 will best hold me over until then?

Does no one use a sleeve for their thinkpad? I know they're durable or whatever but I have a bag without a built in laptop compartment

did it work on windows

>I have a bag without a built in laptop compartment
Mine does so i can't help you m8.

Don't have windows installed.

Out of curiosity do you guys look at the recommended models, skip that and proceed to ask anyways
T420 is the baseline for price to acceptable performance due to age

If your budget is 1000$ you should be looking at newer thinkpad models, you can get a modern one such as the T460

what do you think is a fair price for an X230T with a regular HDD, 8GB ram in an almost new condition (touch/stylus combo panel)? The prices online vary too largely to make a judgement

>I'm running Fedora 23.
there is your problem
fedora is testing corporate garbage
use a good distro

>Fall for thinkpad meme
>buy a t420 for $225CAD
>overheats to 98C and freezes up with basic usage (browser, spreedsheet, text editor)
>Have to set system performance to low for it to be usable with normal temps (55C).
>a-aleast the battery life is good

So now I have to spend $10 on thermal paste plus some air duster and hope to god it improves temps. With a new SSD ($120) and another 4GB RAM ($30) I'll have spent nearly $400.

Why didn't I just buy a new fucking laptop?

It's not like you could've gotten a decent laptop for that price anyway.

Absolutely badass.

>He bought a five year old laptop and is upset about having to repaste

Stop being a wiener

you don't need a sandy/ivy bridge for shitposting, but you really want it if you want to use the battery saving features to get good battery AND have the web browser not run at 10 fps.

>overheats up to 98c
that's not overheating.
that's running hot, but 105c is overheating.
and your fan/thermal paste is probably fucked
$20 if you give it to me :^)

Do not all X220 have a webcam? I just got one on Monday and it has the rectangular cutout where it is on all of my other ThinkPads, but unless I'm retarded (I feel like it right now), it seems like it's opaque.

Not in the slightest. It just may not be stable til you work the voltages out.

Sup /tpg/

I'm headed back to school for my master's this fall. I plan on using my x220 as my main class machine, but I need to upgrade the battery.

I'm looking at getting an official lenovo slice battery, but I'm wondering if anyone has bought one used and had a decent experience. Is there any reason not to buy one used?

Are any of the chink batteries good? Or should I go lenovo for the 9 cell as well?

Stay away from the shitty cheap batteries.

so my replacement screen and hinges for my t430 just arrived.
im gonna put them in later.
my t430 was driven over by a semi, lel.
still works though but i can turn it on since the keyboard is busted, the screen is and part of the left hinge broke off. i know it still workes since i used the keyboard from a friend for diagnostics.
never htought that little baby would survive being run over.
the screen is the matte 1600x900 screen from the dell alienware laptops which i got off amazon for 30 bucks.
hinges are from a mom and pop hardware-store and from what i can tell theyre actually genuine lenovo hinges.
ill take that opportunity to also clean out the fans and probably reapply thermal compounds since i got some arctic silver 5 lying around.
the only issue is getting a suitable keyboard. i have found them in the right layout but none of em seem to have backlighting i really love that backlight.
any idea where i can find them? im going into the city tomorrow to check some hardware stores for them since i didnt find them on amazon. if i wont find any can i order them directly off lenovo?
where woudl eb a good place to get them (in the eu)?

not all have them
not sure why all of them don't because it has to be dirt cheap to add them in, and every once in a while they're useful.

>Do not all X220 have a webcam?
nope
it depends on the config the company wants

Cameras aren't allowed in some offices, mostly government agencies.

>don't because it has to be dirt cheap to add them in
think about how costs scale for contract orders for large companies
the us gubmind wouldn't use a chink computer anyway

>the us gubmind wouldn't use a chink computer anyway

yeah i guess they're using those made in usa laptops

>Mi Notebook Air
Thinkpad killer? Also X220 resolution is utterly abysmal, I regret falling for this meme.

>yeah i guess they're using those made in usa laptops
I do wonder what happened to the mass of IBM gubmint contracts after Gookovo bought their consumer line

xps 15 is very decent.
the keyboard is weird though.