Hello Sup Forums, I have something I'd like to discuss/ask all of you

Hello Sup Forums, I have something I'd like to discuss/ask all of you.
I'll just go ahead and spit it right out - is knowledge of programming and coding necessary for a career in IT?
Please mind the difference in wording, I am asking about a career rather than a job.

Will post my personal blog below.

Not at all. There are plenty of successful startup CEOs who cucked gullible autists into being the "technical cofounders" and lived social lives full of wine, women, and dance with investors while said autistic slaved away for 18 hours a day writing code.

I am enrolled in an online Associate's program, some of the classes I have taken so far are Intro to Programming Concepts, Operating Systems, an actual class based around Microsoft Office, and a Networking class.

Well, the harsh reality has hit that I am not adept at programming, and I do not seek to be either. It simply isn't for me, I do not have the mind for it. Do mind I am not downplaying the significance of programmers and code monkeys by any means - again, it simply isn't for me.
Like many people on Sup Forums I was a kid on Sup Forums and Sup Forums who did nothing but play video games. I grew up without worry, thinking my liking for technology (put my own computer together and similar shit) would translate to a job in IT. I am not failing college or anything of that sort, it just has made me realize that this isn't my strong point. I am not a programmer, and thankfully I've realized this now while just at the community college level rather than having invested into a bachelor's at a real school or anything.

What I would like to know now is if there are any alternatives to IT besides database/systems work (networking), programming/coding, and low level tech support.
I am not so foolish as to put myself somewhere where I do not belong. I don't want to be that guy who is incapable of doing his job yet doesn't try to change anything or feel any shame over it. I will not embarrass myself in that way, and of course I am willing to look into other fields.

>tl;dr
baby starts college, realizes he isn't the hot shit he thinks he was. I am not a programmer.

Are there possible paths in IT that do not involve programming, or should I start looking for a different field to study for before I head off to a university?

forgot to put OP into name field

Basically, I don't want to even touch programming. I realize I'm not smart enough to handle it, or rather it isn't where my smarts lie. That is okay with me - everyone is good at something different.

But no joke, I want to know if I should try to salvage what I have already invested my time and tuition into or if I should drop it all together and start something different once I finish this shitty online school from which I've learned very very little. It guess will be good to have gotten my gen eds out of the way.

When I look through my universities degrees available under the school of computing, I saw a Bachelors of Science in Informatics. I read that it is based more on sociology/psychology and how people interact with machines. Is informatics a viable option?
Can you work in the IT field without a lick of programming or code?

This is really important to me, as I'm not just looking for a job, I've had plenty of shitty jobs already. I need something that will sustain me, an actual career mind you. i'm not going to make all these years of college be worthless.

please respond to my personal blog, I am in genuine need of advice and have no competent friends

>any alternatives to IT besides database/systems work (networking), programming/coding, and low level tech support.

This + the fact that you don't want to program anything leaves you with the option of somehow falling into an IT manager who knows fuck all about the projects/people he's managing and will get fired.

actually scratch that, you could also land a job in the mindless career of laying cable. something any monkey can be trained to do.

this is what I fear, fugg

this isn't about
>i'm too "good" to do that kind of work!
this is about
>i'm stuck doing something I don't want/don't know how to do

Should I just an hero??
What does a guy with no interests/hobbies go get a degree in?

does no aspect of what you're learning interest you? networking? security? hardware? Not every IT career is software developer or programmer.

the point of a general IT degree is that you're exposed to everything and can figure out what you like or don't like as you look for work.

>I am enrolled in an online Associate's program
I'm just going to stop you right there.
Whatever you're doing is stupid.

Well, again do remember I am in online school while working shitty retail job, so my learning from it is limited

but I have learned some things. When I do the busy work I am of course forced to read the book, and right now I am in the networking class. I feel like if I go into IT I would be very lonely, probably end up drinking. The only things I've really totally understood so far are networking and basic PC component repair/servicing.

I dabbled in HTML and pseudocode a little and even got a perfect score on my website, but shit anyone could have done that and I definitely don't want to go into programming now that I realize how high the skillcap is.
I was planning on going and getting A+ and Networking+ certs but I don't even know if I should now. I'm fucking confused.

If you have no interests or hobbies you pursue a skill. If you have no skills you develop some or prepare for an illustrious career at MICKEY D's. Welcome to the real world, princess. Oh, and by the way, saying your "smarts don't lie in programming" just means you're too lazy to learn and does not bode well for you. Deny it all you like but unless you're mentally defective you could do it.

>whatever you're doing is stupid

are you referring to my being in online school as stupid, what I am learning from it as stupid, or both?

if any of those, I am already aware of that I just don't know where to go from here to correct that.
Also, I went into the online school because I had just moved from a different state in my last semester of high school and I got out nearly a year early too. My parents were putting pressure on me and I didn't have in state tuition eligibility since hadn't been here for a year, the only school that didn't charge based on residency was inner-city ghetto, so this was my only option and then I got shitty retail job to kill the rest of my time.

i don't know what to do with myself.

>his smarts lie in programming

>he gets perfect html scores and dabbles in pseudocode

I wasn't going to reveal this because it sort of removes the user aspect, but might as well spit it out

due to certain circumstances regarding my background, I am eligible for 4 years of totally free tuition in my state, the catch is I pay for housing and books, and it has to be a public university. The 4 years of free tuition are applicable to any program whether it be in Medicine, law, or IT. The free tuition is not affected by what the cost WOULD be if I were a normal student.

In addition to that, I am also eligible for 45,000 dollars, as well as not having had to pay for my online school in any way whatsoever.
I am born into privilege.

I don't know what to do to hold up to the standards that privilege holds.
Knowing I could go into any field without the burden of student debt and loans makes me feel even more confused - what the fuck do i do?

Also I am not required to use my benefits in any certain order. For example, i could pay for an undergraduate with the 45k and then use the free tuition for the more burdensome graduate school degree.

Does that put things into perspective? Yes, currently I am working a shit-tier manual labor job - I am not limited by it by any means whatsoever.

Can't imagine you have NO interests. OP, so what other things are you interested in? What about videogames?

Can I have your 45,000 dollars. I will put it to good use, promise.

See

I am OP, and am sorry but I am not going to give up my 45k.

I'm not going to bullshit it anymore, should I just take this thread to /biz/?

I was an average slacker student. School was effortless for me, and I never did any clubs or extracurricular activities - didn't develop any hobbies or interests at all. All I did was jack off and play video games.
Well, high school was 2 years ago now and my fake online degree is almost up. I don't feel like learning programming so I'm saying fuck it. No reason to lie about it I suppose.

I guess I'll take this thread to /biz/ then

>is knowledge of programming and coding necessary for a career in IT?
Actual software development? No. But some automation scripting will be as you progress.

>dabbled in HTML and pseudocode a little
>perfect score on my website

No.

See: many career paths in Testing, or management.

Can you post your website?

can't delete my post so I'm taking this to /biz/ and saging

I don't understand what you guys are giving me shit for?

the HTML was done in a different class from when I did pseudocode.
I'm just saying, my only experiences are that I made a shitty HTML site, and played with pseudocode. I know pseudocode is not an actual language. Anybody could have done either of those things as they are require no effort.

That you Steve?

Because "dabbling" in html, especially when its required in a class, is NOT programming.