Why would someone own a dumbphone and not real technology like a smartphone in the year 2016...

Why would someone own a dumbphone and not real technology like a smartphone in the year 2016? You look like a hipster and a poorfag not using a smartphone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=utw90V0metY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I keep a Nokia 3310 around as a backup emergency phone

I'm talking their everyday use phone, their primary phone.

Nice try NSA.

Who am I kidding, all cell phones are personal tracking devices.

Because all I need to do is make phone calls sometimes. I don't text, I'd rather not be someone who gets glued to their smart phone apps like its a necessity.

>I'm a faggot with no self control

Well in that case I would make the argument that using an old dumbphone doesn't make you look like a hipster, but actually operator as fuck.

>implying I use any kind of cell phone
Millennials

Grandpa! I didn't know you used Sup Forums!

You're too retarded to use real technology. Stick to your lock down hipster phone loser.

>I feel insecure about the way I'm constantly glued to my smart phone
>I know! I'll make a post bashing people who aren't like me to help me feel better about myself.

>I have no self control

You just answered your own question user.

That battery life

>You look like a hipster and a poorfag not using a smartphone.

You can call me whatever I want. I could care less what you think of me. It's a shame you still care about what people think of you. I bet you use an iphone too.

You are literally a cuck.

>dumbphone
>smartphone
How do i know if my cellphone is smart or dumb?

It's dumb if it can't play pokemon go

How does playing pokemon go makes it smart?

I have the exact phone in the pic
>signal everywhere
>battery lasts for days
>durable

As far as calls go its great, the only thing stopping me from making it my main is the lack of a qwerty keyboard.

>battery life
>no expensive data plan
>so cheap that if you break it you could pretty much buy one with pocket change
>service is widely supported anywhere where 3g/4g is required for most smartphone functionality
>software is optimized and dedicated to a few tasks that are required
>no bloatware bullshit you can't remove without rooting

Besides, everyone knows at this point that the phones are one aspect of privacy violations. The network service infrastructure is a whole other rabbit hole.

Beautiful.
I'm off a service plan right now but I'm basically gonna get some jitterbug-tier shit when I cave and go back on one. Probably after I get done uni this fall and start a job search.

Straight talk is basically fucking poo in loo and they jew'd me on data my last month of a year prepaid. Can anyone recommend a non-kike carrier? I suppose I would go back to them for $30/month, though.

Time to go back into your coffin grandpa!

Smartphone: last a day or two at most
Dumbphone: last a week and a half

Because it cost me $15 for the phone, and the plan is ~$8 a month. All I need it for is to occasionally make/take calls and text messages.

Unlike most people under 40, I won't forget how to breathe if I can't google it or ask my friends how to do it on facebook.

>smartphone: actually use it
>dumbphone: keep in pocket because you have no friends who call you

>projection

And this is a problem?
I'm getting my life together so I'm nofriends anyways.

>you have no friends who call you
Joke on you I talk to my friends in person

>Joke on you I talk to my friends in person
I remember high school, too.

Luddites, people who don't ever do anything on the internet ever, people who don't actually know what they're missing by not having one, and people too lazy to upgrade their old dumbphone. I like dumbphone for their aesthetics, I love most things with a clamshell design, but I would never use it as a primary phone because of how ubiquitous smart phones are

If you can afford data plans, prepaid or subscription based, you can afford a smartphone. Being poor isn't a reason not to have one.

I hate using a phone to talk to people. Even texts. I just use it to write music when I'm pooping and so I can always get the internet. Pretty sweet. I send like 50 texts a month and use 5-10 minutes. A dumbphone would make no sense.

>Millennials dont know that phones used to last for weeks rather hours
>Uses phone as a Wealth symbol rather the an utility

some people just don't give a shit about it and don't feel compelled to be attached to the internet wherever they go, I don't think I could live without my smartphone just because of the camera, but if someone shipped a nice dumbphone that was capable of looking up shit on google/ebay and taking really good pictures, I would probably use it instead, the only application I use that isn't pre-loaded on my device is Spotify anyway.

>you look like a hipster or a poorfag
who gives a fuck you consumerist child

It costs me $20 every three months to keep the phone activated with more than enough minutes than I need or use.

I don't see a reason to get a smartphone when a dumbphone does everything I need it to for a fraction of the cost.

Almost three quarters of my time is spent on fishing vessels, I'd be silly to take a smartphone into that environment

TIN

FOIL

One punch man made it look cool

Simple, dumbphones don't require me to find a model with good community support and flash a custom rom in order to keep them from datamining all the information I have on my phone and to get timely security updates. Also software on smartphones is bloated and runs like shit compared to an old netbook running a lightweight Linux distro, and I found things as simple as shitposting in more than 1 thread at a time to be a chore on a smartphone. There's no reason for the extra hassle involved in securing a smartphone when I use a different, superior device to accomplish everything a dumbphone can't do.

what are some Sup Forums approved dumbphones?

I have a Galaxy S6 and pay $16 CAD a month because I don't need a data plan.

Iphone 6 Plus

Galaxy S7

Not the person you replied to, but that means it has the ability to run real software, and not, "baby software," as Steve Jobs called it.

lower emissions of emf.

I'm a millenial, and I remember a time when I was very young that my friend wanted a cell phone more than anything else but wasn't allowed to get one unless it was broken because only the adults were allowes to use cell phones. My mom had one and she was born in the '60s.

I value my privacy and ont like being a zombie dependent on a fucking smartphone. That shit is deplorable, all my friends are glued to their smarphone

A laptop and tablet is all i need beside a dumb phone

I'm not that person but I clearly regret to have a smartphone now because i'm too addicted to internet and have no self control. My sleep is even worse than before since I have a smartphone

>Sup Forums
>having a cellphone

Smartphones are for singles. Dumbphones are for doubles.

>weeaboo shit
>making anything look cool
Kys

Also, for those of you saying smartphone software is too, "bloated," I remember the software on my feature phones looking like primitive knockoff shit in comparison to smartphone software. And on smartphones I not just can actually afford to install new software, but I can install software with functionality that just wasn't available on feature phones and dumbphones.

I thought this, then I got a life

>this looks interesting
>oh gee i should research this product before buying it
>should i walk off to a quiet spot and google NOPE DRIVE HOME THAT'S WHERE THE THINKPAD IS

>i should make an appointment to get a haircut
>HEY BRO DO YOU HAVE A PHONE BOOK

>solve problems like this as they come along
>end up carrying a notebook of phone numbers, research shit online before ever buying it
>and then
>Professional correspondence
>"Please use email, and try to respond promptly, thanks"
>fffffffffff

Japanese flip phones are actually smartphones despite not looking like apple knockoffs

A huge barrier on Sup Forums is probably not knowing which piece of garbage consumer tech can compare to the ease of use, maintenance, and freedom of a laptop running a decent OS

(the answer is none of them)

faggot

Should I start calling old computers dumbcomputers now?
Holy shit Steve Jobs was a faggot.

Hipsters all use iPhones though.

>Japanese flip phones are actually smartphones despite not looking like apple knockoffs

Not true.

They are more capable than dumb phones (they do e-mail, directions, dictionaries, tethering, etc) but do not run a smart phone OS (i.e.-android, ios, bbos, symbian etc.)

Most people use smartphones now anyway.

>>this looks interesting
>>oh gee i should research this product before buying it
>go out to car, grab netbook from my bag (if I'm not carrying it at the time), and research the shit quicker than I could ever do on a smartphone

>i should make an appointment to get a haircut
>HEY BRO DO YOU HAVE A PHONE BOOK
>implying I don't have a phonebook in my car
>implying I didn't have a phonebook in my car even when I did have a smartphone
Seriously, there's no reason not to.

>solve problems like this as they come along
>end up carrying a notebook of phone numbers, research shit online before ever buying it
>and then
>Professional correspondence
>"Please use email, and try to respond promptly, thanks"
>implying my netbook can't do all that

This one was cool
youtube.com/watch?v=utw90V0metY

I use a smartphone but I miss a near week-long battery life of a good flip phone along with their quiantness. I sometimes judge people for using them but in most ways I envy. If I never had a smartphone I'd be just as happy, maybe more so

more like
>i'm at a restaurant, time to take pictures and send them to social media
>i'm in the toilet of the said restaurant, time to take pictures and send them to social media
>they brought my food to the table at the said restaurant, time to take pictures and send them to social media
>they brought me the bill at the said restaurant, time to take pictures and send them to social media
and so on
ad infinitum

If you ever lay your hand on 1 of those flipphone (or to be more specific, garakei), you wouldnt say that really.
I got the luxury to try a shf31 which is said to run android os, but that OS is not true smartphone OS. Its configured to run on dumb phone and thus has no smart features (such as downloading extra apps to extend its use). Its like symbian os but looks fancier.
I only give those garakei/keitais points for being simple, reliable and durable but by all means you will get bored of them very soon if you came from smartphones.
It's not out of nowhere that majority of japs are moving on and switch to smartphones

Pretty sure you can sideload apps if you really need them, but the point of even smart flipphones is to keep it basic.

Whenever I see a person without a smartphone I immediately think they are poor or socially retarded.

drugs

because they about that trap life

Or just want a reliable phone or simply don't give a shit about tech.

You can't shitpost on you're dumbphone

> (OP)
>Because all I need to do is make phone calls sometimes. I don't text, I'd rather not be someone who gets glued to their smart phone apps like its a necessity.

Just letting you know, you are a burden to friends and family if you actually have any.

all of these things are true and its been a few hours since you posted so its doubtfull you'll even see this, but here goes

>I can't carry a 4-5 pound laptop with me
Have you ever actually held a T4 or X series thinkpad before? Our laptops today are more portable than they've ever been before, even to the point that they lose structural integrity now because everyone is trying to mimic apple. I'll give you that it would be annoying to have to find a private enough place to sit in public to pull out the laptop. That is something you'd do athte library or the mcdonalds right, as you wouldn't do it on a subway train full of people. But beyond that, there is no reason you shouldn't or cannot already have that on your person.

>he doesn't just walk into a barber shop on an early morning and get it done instantly
????
besides that, I do realize what you refer to regarding appointments though. It can get overwhelming to the point where you need to note it down. Either have a very small notebook or do it on your laptop. Neither of these options should affect you as they are likely things you would already have had on your person. If not, you can find very small notebooks at the dollar stores.

>email
again, use the laptop
yes it would be a pain constantly having to stop and constantly check, but I wouldn't trust connecting to my email anyways using the phone, as its not the same level of control as when you use the laptop

besides
>having a job that pesters outside of your working hours

very good bait though, i bit off a huge chunk

>I could care less
I know you can.

>virgin neckbeard on Sup Forums things I look like a hipster!

MY LIFE IS RUINED!

1. Hipsters
2. That special type of retard who thinks that only smartphones are "tracking devices" and dumb phones somehow aren't.
3. Special snowflakes (see 1)
4. Ham fisted losers who defend dropping their phone every 10 minutes who think that because they are that stupid, it must happen to everyone else.

Even the Amish use smartphones and Facebook now as long as it's to make money, neo-luddite shits are much worse than real luddites because it's all about butt diddling in Starbucks thinking that anyone gives half a shit about your shitty "lifestyle choice" or whatever the fuck you call it. Nobody, nobody fucking cares.

>2. That special type of retard who thinks that only smartphones are "tracking devices" and dumb phones somehow aren't.
Proof that companies have datamining software on dumbphones that anons are complaining about them having on smartphones?

Too expensive for me and not "on the go" all the time, I mean I do leave the house but I don't need to be on the internet at those times.

I've never had any problems with Net10, and their pricing is okay.