ITT: post your programmer's bookshelf

ITT: post your programmer's bookshelf

you DO have physical copies of your books, right?

I've found reading programming books tends to be a horrible distraction from actually producing anything.

How old are you, what do you guys do for a living, and what projects are you working on. Did yall have a formal education in computer science?

I am 30 years of age, I work for the Government of Alberta. I am working on a compiler in my downtime.

>2016
>still wasting money on a physical book about programming

It's basically outdated the minute it's published.

i have a copy of the C89 ansi standard, but that's it.

i only use it when i feel like making autistic posts in /dpt/.

wew a grandad

thats why you use books to learn fundamentals

>unix isn't relevant

kek

Textbooks and guides yes.
Fun reading no.

Good books here :)

What book would be the best to begin with networking / TCP/IP

yeah but what a stupid way to stack them. like how would you grab one on the bottom?

This is pretty old

Why would you need so many Python books for beginners?

they're all pdfs. i move often so not many physical books

I'm messy. I like reading cs books because you won't find cohesive information that you really learn from for some things on the net.

>all those unread books without creased spines
who are you trying to fool?

ok

Not everyone works in a meme field like web dev that is all about what happens to be trendy right now

Why else would I own an iPad tho?

>you DO have physical copies of your books, right?
Nope. Scanned the last couple of physical books I had that didn't already have digital copies available last year. I'm all digital now and it's great.

I actually just sold 3 older computer science books I don't need anymore (computer engineering stuff), but I mostly keep the books about software engineering. I'm currently reading some books about design patterns and test driven development in Java (Inb4 pajeet)

Gonna ask here:

What's the best Python-for-absolute-beginners/females book?

what's wrong with python books for men?

nothing wrong with the usual books, I'm just trying to help a woman learn, and they're usually dumber so something that explains things very simply in dumbo language would be perfect. She even suggested Python for Dummies and I said no because I always hated the Dummies series because it was made for retards but now I'm thinking she had a point.

why are you doing this?
she's not going to date you after this

I don't want to date her, but she's one of the only people I talk to and have any social connection with and I want to help her since she asked me about this (she only took an interest because I'm a programmer and because she likes anime and tech stuff)

>paper
>can't search through your books
>not as comfy as just using a PDF reader on whatever you're using at the moment
>having to get another copy if anything changes in the book
I could go on. There's no point in having anything on paper for me.

I /tg/ in addition to Sup Forums

>mein kampf

>C++

Kek

>physical copies
I can't control + f real life.

>control f
>not grep

>grep pdf
Okay

>extract text with ghostscript
>grep through it
>???
>profit

>waste time
>somehow profit
>???
>autism

>write a script/alias
Wow, it's like you want to make your life harder.

Begin with networking, I would say Stevens or TCP/IP guide. Prepared to be bored.

ttp://www.tcpipguide.com/ if you're a poorfag

If you actually want to do shit most vendor cert training literature will force you to learn most of the relevant shit.

>current year
>physical books
I graduated from college in '89 and even I don't have nostalgia for that shit. Young people are fucking idiots to waste time, money, and space on books. A $50 or less tablet with a $20 SD card can hold more books than an average office book-shelf could possibly store.

Academics who think having physical books equals intelligence and sophistication are the worst form of cancer and need to be physically removed, so to speak.

>opening a pdf in document viewer is a challenge
wew

>he doesn't use Google Chrome (or Google Drive on Android) to read PDFs

You learn better from a good and a nice big text page is better for displaying technical info than some shitty tablet.

>yall
I have a library about half the size of OPs and have read about half of my books. Currently in year 3/7 for my BS in CS. 21 years old working at a Taco Bell. Still cannot program my way out of a paper bag.

"Women are normally dumber..."
Perhaps this is why you have very little social connections.

>he enjoys the botnet

>You learn better from a good and a nice big text page
[Citation Needed]

That kind of muh paper autism is a popular meme among unproductive academic turds fishing for tenure, but in the real world your results-driven environment isn't going to make space for muh book collection and wasting time trying to find the right leaf of antique advice.

is that a dildo disguised as a statue or a statue disguised as a dildo?

>Implying he's wrong

he's very right tho

Google it you lazy shit. There has been multiple studies on it.

>paper autism
Yep, confirmed for retarded memester

>he still has any hope that there are women worth talking to somewhere

>Google it you lazy shit. There has been multiple studies on it.
So many that you can't provide a single one. I rest my case.

But hey, at least you can signal to your hipster friends how enlightened you are by rejecting technology like a fucking luddite because you read a buzzfeed article about muh paper superiority.

You graduated college 27 years ago and you're on Sup Forums. What have you done in your life? I ask because I'd like to avoid whatever it is that brings you here at ~49 years old.

Kek

this is the list of things you do not know. things you know, you do not need to store on external memory.

ps. most of the books detailing technologies are outdated in 6m, so that's just an antique store there.

fag, selling yourself short... as any beta IT guy around, available to teach anyone willing to listen

did you ever see any accountant, medic or architect teach anyone anything? this cheap altruism in IT only makes us selling our skins short. we never get the respect the other jobs have, we are just geeks.