Will you allow your child to bring non-free software into your home as long as it lives under your roof?

Will you allow your child to bring non-free software into your home as long as it lives under your roof?

they will have to use a linux based os that has to be compiled from source.

if my children want a pc, i will only buy them the parts. they will have to assemble it themselves, if they break something during the process, they will have to do chores to earn a replacement part.

then they will have to compile and install their operating system. i will print out all the necessary man pages, but they won't get google or some shit.

after everything is up and running, i will teach them some C or python. once they're able to write small cli based programs, i will buy them a macbook or gaymen windows pc if they want. after that i won't give a shit what they do with their hardware, but i think it's important that they learn how things work before getting to the good stuff.

I won't allow it to bring free software in my home. I don't grow commies

I can't control something that will never exist

>mfw when you can't use anything tech related because even apple and microsoft use BSD licensed software in critical components of their OS

This. I would also some them how to vape. If they're gonna smoke, they have to do it the health way.

Having children is for dickweeds that enjoy being a wageslave to satisfy other people's opinion on how you should live your life. That and nigger that can't into birth control.

Yeah because I'm not a complete autist

as long as I pay for it it's ok.

I like it. Having the children build a healthy respect for the core of computing before enjoying some of the time-wasting activities that are the end result is a good way to keep them far away from Sup Forums.

After all, it's all about giving them a better life then I had and keeping them non-autistic is a good part of that.

Then again I doubt I will ever have kids unless my personality changes substantially for some reason

Autism

this, im 22 and i love sex but am opposed to ever having a child. the amount of responsibility and investment that would take... No... Just no. I don't care about having a legacy in any form, I can't even be bothered to donate to a sperm bank.

I can sell you a professional edition of ubuntu for just $100

It won't have enough money to buy its own technology, and the family computer will obviously run a free as in freedom OS.

I'll explain the importance of not spreading your personal info on the internet and judging carefully what software is safe to run. However, I don't expect them to conform to that 100%, especially when they hit puberty (muh rebellion). I myself was raised with the dogma of not putting your name etc online but when I turned 16 I thought "everyone's doing it, who cares anyway" and happily gave google and twitter and facebook et al. all of my data. Now I'm fucked because unless I completely cut all the ties to my previous life, I can be found and linked to the old profiles again.

So I'll keep proprietary software out of their hands until they can decide for themselves whether or not to stick with free software.

I listened to Linus Torvalds talk at Defcon, and he seemed to imply that he unironically did this.

He made his wife and kids use Linux and didn't even give them the sudo password

I've had this talk with my wife's son. When he's 18 and moves out, he can have any software he wants. Until then, this is a GNU/Home.

>being a cuck

Good autism.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called ``Linux'', and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called ``Linux'' distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

i won't even let them bring non-free hardware inside the house

>taking the bait

Cool. I'll just get them MacBooks.