/wut?/ - Windows Update Thread

This is the end! It’s the final countdown. All of Sup Forums rejoice at the coming silence!

Windows upgrades are not getting extended. Once again, you DO NOT HAVE TO KEEP 10 on your computer to keep the LICENSE. Once you upgrade it never expires. If you don’t know what to do just get the damn license and go back to 7 or 8. Problem solved.

It’s all over tommorow. So ask your questions! Rant and rave! Bitch and moan! Install gentoo! Anything goes! Let’s burn this thread to the ground!

Other questions answered:

>How do I get a free W10 license for the future but keep using 7/8 now?
>How do I stop the Windows 10 update from happening?
>How do I install W10 if it keeps messing up when I try?
>Can I go back to 7/8 if I’ve upgraded?
>How do I downgrade if my computer came with W10?
>How do I get Windows 7 to update after a clean install?
>How would I reinstall W10 in the future?
>Should I switch to Linux?

Full Expanded Post: pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Official Windows Install discs:
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

>Do you like windows 10?

No. Fuck the store. Fuck the layout. Fuck the botnet. Also fuck micrsoft for shoving it down our throats all year like they believe only cortana's shiny blue ass could save our souls from eternal torment in the fiery pits of hell.

>So why would I ever want it?

As the last separate version of windows, more and more programs will begin to require it or its (goddamn) app store, including games that require DX12 and the Xbone crossovers. Infection rates tend to be a lot lower in newer OSes, and that’s even before Windows 7 stops receiving security updates in 2020 (like that shit that went down with XP a while back), so you might want to keep your options open.

Other urls found in this thread:

majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/58464-Windows-Loader-Download
reddit.com/r/Piracy/comments/3fey8i/upgrading_from_daz_loader_222_windows_7_to/
pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html
howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/
strawpoll.me/10856181
microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>So how do I get a license without upgrading?

You upgrade. But then you just undo it. That’s the loophole: you don't have to KEEP W10 on your computer. If you install it once, say for 5 minutes, the microsoft servers note your PC’s hardware as eligible for Windows 10 going forward, so you have a permanent "Digital Entitlement" on that computer, even if you go back to your old windows immediately.

There's 4 ways to do this…

1) The easiest method is to just upgrade to W10, then downgrade using the “Go Back” button in settings (available for 30 days).

2) If you’re specifically worried about windows messing up the install, you can make a system backup image instead with Macrium Reflect or similar, do the upgrade, then use a recovery disk to restore the image.

3) Or upgrade then clean install your old OS

4) Install W10 to a blank drive or partition then activate with your 7/8 key. Or backup/restore like option #2. Good choice for linux users who have a 7/8 key they want upgraded.

If you choose #2, make a recovery disk & a backup of your system drive. Otherwise there’s no prep, just accept the W10 upgrade. You could also download the W10 install disk if you’re having trouble with windows updater. Just click "Download tool now" to make a DVD or USB, then run it within windows. Skip downloading updates. Once W10 is installed, make sure it’s activated itself online by clicking Start> Settings> Update & Security> Activation. Make sure it says “Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement"

With W10 activated it’s time to restore your old OS. For option #1 use the 30 day "Go Back" setting in W10 to recover your old copy of windows (stored in C:\Windows.old). To find it, click Start> Settings> Update & Security> Recovery, then hit the “Get started” button under Go back to Windows 7(or 8.1). For options 2-4 either restore your backup or reinstall your old OS. Mission accomplished.

Frequently Asked Questions:

>Digital Entitlement? What is this BS? Where's my damn key?

"KEYS? Where we're going we don't need KEYS." Most copies of W10 don’t have keys at all. A "digital entitlement" means Windows 10 is paired to your PC automatically by a digital fingerprint of its hardware. So whenever you reinstall W10 after that, even if it’s a clean install, windows will reactivate itself online by validating that fingerprint automatically.

You should probably keep a copy of the key you got with your ORIGINAL windows 7/8.1 install (usually stuck to your system case anyway), because major hardware changes can sometimes disrupt the automatic activation. In that case you would call the microsoft activation hotline and explain the situation to them. They usually correct things pretty easily, and the old key can often help with the process, which hasn't changed much since Windows 7. You might also need the old key if you decide to reinstall your original windows later on and you don't have any backups or recovery media with it pre-activated.

>If I upgrade do I lose my windows 7/8.1 license?

No, you can go back and forth as much as you want, as long as you have your old installer and key (or a backup/recovery). You're not officially allowed to have both versions of windows installed at the same time, like a dual boot or VM. The downgrade rights last until 2020 for windows 7 and 2023 for windows 8, when official support ends for the OSes.

>W10 won’t install. Something always goes wrong. How do I make it work?

Try running the install disk (above) instead.

>How do clean reinstalls work in windows 10?

All you need is that free install disk from microsoft’s site. No keys, no HP/Dell recovery partitions taking up disk space. Just run and done. No activation required (if asked for a key hit skip and it will activate automatically over the internet).

>How do I downgrade to windows 7/8.1 if my computer came with 10?

Windows 7/8.1 are available as free downgrades IF you have W10 PRO, otherwise you’re supposed to buy a copy. You’d also need to check that your core hardware has drivers for that version of windows. It's a bit complicated but here's instructions:

groovypost.com/howto/downgrade-windows-10-to-windows-7-windows-81/2/

>I'm staying on windows 7/8. How do I make the update notifications go away?

The easiest way is to use GWX Control Panel:
majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

If you would rather block the update manually through windows instead, you can download and install update 3065987 on Windows 7, or 3065988 on Windows 8. Then save-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\GWX]
"DisableGWX"=dword:00000001

-to a text document on your desktop named DisableOSUpgrade.reg and run it as administrator.

>I’ve reinstalled Windows 7 recently and I can’t get it to update.

When microsoft put out a new Window 7 update client, they fucked over any copy of 7 that doesn’t have it yet, including clean installs. To fix this, manually download and install updates 3102810 and 3138612 to get the ball rolling:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3138612

>Should I just start using Linux instead?

Maybe! There’s a lot to learn at first, but it can be a very rewarding experience. Linux has a knack for running very smoothly until some weird problem comes up, then it’s off to the forums. Luckily you don’t have to dive in all at once. Try running Ubuntu in Virtualbox, and if you’re still interested you can step it up to a dual boot. Backing up with Macrium Reflect is a good way to minimize risk. And after installing linux, I recommend the PPA ‘Timeshift’ as an equivalent to Windows Restore, for undoing small mistakes. Good luck!

Please help

any answers here would be great.

>had windows 8 on this laptop
>didnt like it, force install windows 7 pirate copy
>get "computer isnt lisenced" notifications
>no crack works, kmspico or mstoolkit all do nothing
>windows 7 home premium 64-bit on a UEFI bios
>not sure what to do to get windows 10

The upgrade has to be done on an internal drive, doesn't matter if it's your primary or a secondary. It's pretty easy to shrink your windows partition to make temporary space if you want to do it that way. But unless you happen to have an extra internal drive the easiest way to do it is option #2 in You just image your system drive so when you are done you can come back with no changes whatsoever.

Do you have a sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a windows key?

its a windows 8 foil sticker and thats it

I upgraded few days ago and it's really great operating system and I say this as long time 7 user.

Well if that sticker has a product key on that you can use it to upgrade

i will repeat myself

its a windows 8 foil sticker and thats it

Ah right, so I don't need an external physical media or anything to use Option #2, I can just download the image tool and use that?

Yup. Be sure and make a recovery disk too, so you can boot to that when you are restoring your old os

Then you might be able to reinstall windows 8 and then upgrade it to 10. Sometimes windows 8 will reactivate automatically, either if the manufacturer put the key in the bios or if that license was set to auto activate over the internet.

Otherwise I would try daz loader 2.2.2

on your 7 install and then upgrade that. People claim you get a legit 10 entitlement that way. Here's a thread talking about it

Microsoft toolkit doesn't actually activate windows. It just signs you up for a 180 day trial and then keeps signing you up for more trials when that ends. It runs constantly in your system checking the status till the end of time. If microsoft ever changes their trial system or even flags MS toolkit/kmspico etc as malware then windows wont be activated anymore. The only way to get a reliable license is to upgrade from another version of windows with either a legit copy or one of the good windows 7 pirating methods.

Why not upgrade when w10 is so comfy.
It is like no need for debian no more when I can enable bash into my Windows os, life couldn't be better desu.

btw for anyone who wants the wallpaper

uh, you can already get bash

and this is running natively, not through the ubuntu thing

Because it's a botnet and will most likely become a subscription service in the future.

But what if I am using a pirate Windows 7 AND plan on building a new PC soon but not by tomorrow?

is there anything i should look out for after reverting post-upgrade? like would I want to/have to remove the download tool or what

No, it's not going to be a subscription service. Forbes just spouts FUD everywhere. They only introduced subscription pricing options for enterprise businesses and it's a great deal for them. Used to be a small business would damn near go bankrupt trying to license windows. It's confirmed that all private devices that are already licensed will never have to pay a subscription.

For enterprise operations, maybe. Charging personal users would be suicide for Windows

> No, it's not going to be a subscription service.
How much did Microsoft pay you to say that?

You might want to block it from upgrading again using

I don't like how Microsoft is taking control away from users (telemetry, forced updated, now forced cortana, etc.) Also not really a fan of the new UWP model. Will keep my Win7 as long as possible.

I have a license but use GNU/Linux. Sometimes I miss gaming but then I remember that gaming isn't as fun as it used to be. Also forced cortana is kind of scary.

damn is that definite? pain in the ass cos i had shit set-up that got discontinued but i'll keep that in mind

if I upgraded a win7pro system to win10pro, can i downgrade to win8.1pro?

This is only tangentially related to the thread, but what the fuck is wrong with the Windows Update server? Every time it runs it uses up 10% of my CPU.

Is what definite?

I doubt it. Downgrade rights are intended for devices sold by third party manufacturers.

because it's not comfy at all and looks like butt

Staying on 7. Free upgrade was tempting, but no.

I meant if the upgrade prompt would start pestering me again after reverting.

I ran some tool back when I installed win7 on this newish PC to cut out all their bullshit. The thought crossed my mind but I'm just unsure if upgrading and then reverting back to how things currently are may or may not also bring back the ''Please update to 10'' prompt and all the other fuckery

I like netflix on windows 10. browser sucks

Whatever your system is like now, that is exactly how it will be after reverting. Updating doesn't change a thing.

But it doesn't matter anyway. Just follow those instructions. They're super easy. Really. Just download the update and run the text in the white box. Takes like 2 minutes

Who doesn't love butt?

How exactly is Cortana being "forced" now?

I know Cortana is Microsofts's Siri equivalent that will go search Bing for you, but I'm not sure what people mean when they say that it's being forced now and if that's something I should consider when I think about upgrading.

Does it just always listen for you to say "Cortana" now if you have a microphone connected?

That is reassuring user thanks, considering I'm at about 85% of the download now I'll be doing just that.

Windows is alright.

You used to be bale to disable both cortana and online search results. Now they're getting rid of that option because they're dicks.

They're talking about the anniversary update where cortana is being integrated into windows search. You can still pretty much use other apps and shut off here access to data, but she's not an independent process anymore.

pcworld.com/article/3100358/windows/you-cant-turn-off-cortana-in-the-windows-10-anniversary-update.html

I imagine all the 3rd party privacy tools will get upgraded with settings to cut her off from anything important.

Is there anything I need to do to make sure I can downgrade to 7 again before I install 10?

Thanks!

That seems annoying more than anything, I'm not a big fan of voice commands and she doesn't seem to do anything useful beyond that

Hopefully there will be something I can install to make her go away again

There shouldn't be if you are using the revert option. But it's always a good idea to find your old key just in case. If it's not printed on a sticker on the device then you can use one of several programs to tell you what it is.

>one of several programs

Can you recommend one that won't steal my precious Windows 7 key?

howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

I'm so happy that after today I won't ever have to see another "should I update" thread again.

Yup. Tomorrow begins the era of "Should I have upgraded?" threads ;^)

>hundreds of threads of people shouting "I FUCKING MISSED MY CHANCE FUCK"

i used prodkey or something, forget the name exactly, it may give your anti-virus a false positive but if you use the right site you should be fine

I used that too and it worked just fine

Apparently Internet Explorer has a product key too

I put it into Google but I had trouble deciding which program was most trustworthy

Those timings

Why bother with all this? Why not just download Win10 from Microsoft when you want it and just activate with MS toolkit?

see

>or one of the good Windows 7 pirating methods.
Elaborate please?

>downgrading my full Windows 7 Ultimate x64 to some shitty OEM Windows 10 Pro.

No, I keep my >pro version that I can install on every new piece of hardware I get.

Thank you kind user

Pro is just a name. There is no 10 ultimate, every feature that would have come with ultimate just got rolled into pro. And you don't lose your 7 retail license when you upgrade.

>hopefully a third-party application will come along and let me use my computer the way I want to
Why do you choose to let Microsoft treat you this way?

Why do you sell your information to their botnet in exchange for a software suite that actively works against you?

i hope you like crime prison cause that's where you're going buddy

I found the ltsb n iso from a shady site and an almost dead torrent (an Italian seeding it). Both of the isos have the same sha-1 as the official one on msdn: DBE728416545EA3E47FBA05575E81AD0F595871F

I know sha-1 is theoretically breakable but is it alright to a least test this in a vm on an unused laptop?

>caring about license
Not going to give ms the number to boast about.

>It's a crime to keep my old legit W7U disc
Aren't you a retarded Microshit shill

Because there is no good alternative.

No, Linux is not a good alternative.

>NT6.1 and newer do not show available memory in winver
>NT6.1 and newer do not have OS/license screensaver
>NT6.1 have unremovable 'show desktop' -button
>NT6.1 and newer have castrated file explorer compared o 6.0 and older (to 4.0)
Why they do this.

>comparing kernel to complete operating system

>>NT6.1 have unremovable 'show desktop' -button

What's your problem with that?

Does upgrading & then reverting fuck anything up? Asking for the sake of my custom theme & registry edits. Also a bit conerned about having to read through & uninstall a bunch of updates.

See

To be sure, use an external backup utility such as Macrium Reflect. It'll take 1-2 hours to backup and 15min to restore.

(You should do backups regardless of this)

What does Windows provide you that Debian wouldn't?

Play your video games on a Windows box and do everything else on a better OS.

You have to ask that? It wastes 8% of taskbar space and looks fugly without using the new themes. I have no use for it, especially since that action is behind key shortcut by default.
Previously it was non-default quickstart object. Have Redmond heard about having an option?

>tfw got a Win7 key from Play Asia
>get genuine, all set
>starts installing
>gets to 10% on the proper installation
>pic related happens
>reboots
>goes right back to pic related
>reboots, restores Win7 installation
What the fuck

>what can Windows do that neckbeard operating system can't
>video games
>office
>countless of other applications and programs

>what can neckbeard operating system do that Windows can't
>...

When do the free upgrades stop? I might upgrade if it's needed by osu.

I have the product key from a copy of win7 that came preinstalled on another laptop (now broken). Does that mean that key is forever unusable to me on my new laptop?

Clean install with the windows 10 disk then enter your 7 key

Microsoft said tomorrow, I'm guessing at the end of the day

Probably

Do a clean install. You can use your W7 key for it

So, I only have my Linux partition on my laptop.
If I ever need to install Windows in this for whaterver reason. I'm pretty much fucked right?

10 Enterprise LTSB + 7 key = good time

Did your laptop come with windows on it? If there's a microsoft key sticker on the device you can still get the entitlement

What's the windows 10 countdown to deadline at now?

Right now you really only have to worry about usage of sha1 that insecurely depends on collision resistance property, as in TLS/SSL or for digital signatures. Altering content in a way that preserves a given hash is still computationally infeasible, even for governments.

Mind posting a magnet link to your seed?

1 day, 3 hours and 56 minutes

My T430 has a W8 sticker and I have the key, yes. But I won't install Windows 8 anytime today just to get the W10 license.

That's great news. Really exceeded my expectations. Thanks.

I've been meaning to do these but haven't since I don't really know anything about it. Unfortunately I don't have an external drive to backup to, but I do have two internal drives (SSD/HDD). Would I be able to backup to my secondary drive, which basically just holds some games and personal files, and restore from there? By making a partition or something?

Im planning on building a pc in the future and am stuck with a shitty old macbook for now, I plan on using win7 on the desktop but want to have the option to upgrade or use win10 on a separate partition just in case. what would be the best way of doing this thing now to have the option of using win10 on a future computer for free?

that is if I install win7 with bootcamp or whatever first and upgrade it, will it ``pair'' or remember what key I used when it connects to the servers or whatever, would it matter if I did this or tried to install win10 from the start and used the win7 key I already have and would have the same effect? or would neither method work and it wouldnt run on new hardware?

Thanks.

Future of Windows 10 upgrade. What do you think guys?
strawpoll.me/10856181

Look at option #4 in the extended pastebin. It doesn't take long to image your installation and as a bonus you have a system backup when you're done.

Maybe it depends on the timezone. I'm getting 1 day 15 hr.

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Either way, it's going to be all over either tomorrow or saturday.

>Do a clean install of 8 by removing 7 since I was dumb enough to install a 32 bit version.
>Immediately upgrade to 10 to see the fuss is all about
>At first I was ok with it
>Installed games via steam such as Dark Souls
>It doesn't work at all
Welp, I guess I'll just go back to 8.1. It's okay right? I mean when I had it before I fucked it up.

It's over here in Poo in the Loo land.

Yeah you can back up to the second internal. You don't have to worry about partitions or anything, Macrium just makes a big file with everything in it. Just make sure you have all the partitions from the main drive checked when you click image disk.

howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/