Cinnamon vs MATE?

What is the difference between Linux Mint Cinnamon and MATE?

I am switching from Windows and need to find a good Linux distro.

there is only one way to find out

Install Arch

I had MATE and it was pretty good, wouldn't know about cinnamon. My next mint will be i3 tho, I love that they have that as a distro cuz everytime I install i3 I'm missing all the network manager shit.

good specs OR care for eye-candy ==> cinnamon
weak specs OR care for efficiency ==> mate

Mate is stable. Cinnamon is a shitty unstable hack that tries to make something usable out of shit (gnome 3). I think it's probably the only DE that crashed on me on multiple occasions in my ~9 year of linux use.
I use neither.

If you've used linux around 9 years, I'd like to know what your current setup looks like

>tries to make something usable out of shit (gnome 3)
I agree with earlier versions, but it's getting better now
Cinnamon is not that bad too, MATE is just deprecated Gnome 2

Cinnamon > XFCE > KDE > MATE > Unity > GNOME

Arch xfce. I wouldn't recommend it as a first distro.
Maybe, honestly I haven't tried Mint in years, don't see much reason to.

>Arch xfce. I wouldn't recommend it as a first distro.
Sorry, I wasn't OP. I use ubuntu xfce currently, and xfce is pretty sweet. I'm wondering if Arch might still be programmer-friendly in terms of what its package manager provides compared to apt

>MATE
is a fork of GNOME2.
In a sense it is revival / continuum of software from March 3, 1999
it doesn't need functional GPU drivers to work
it doesn't need 2D / 3D acceleration to run fast
it is from times when RAM was expensive
so in all it is your "windows like" DE which is very conservative, still customizable, hasn't changed in like 10 years significantly.

>Cinnamon
Is a "fork" of GNOME3 and Unity.
Is fucking new, which means it crashes.
It needs GPU to be fast and somewhat newer CPU.
It looks 5% more fancy.
In a sence of customisation, they are getting there, but it is still in "active" development, adding new functions and possibly breaking old stuff.
Also good luck on finding themes for GTK3.X which are compatible with this.

>I'm wondering if Arch might still be programmer-friendly in terms of what its package manager provides compared to apt

I don't think I have ever had problems with Arch repos lacking in anything. There is less packages overall when compared to debian or ubuntu but on the other hand there is less shitty packages no one uses and more packages that are actually useful. Plus there is also aur. You can search arch repos directly on their website anyway so check that if you want to know if everything you need is there.

>What is the difference between Linux Mint Cinnamon and MATE?
MATE is for nostalgiafags who think Gnome 2 was the greatest thing ever, your typical old school looking DE that feels like a million smaller components cobbled together/
Cinnamon tries to make a Windows like UI and expand upon that, but it's far from perfect and has its own share of problems.
Both have their pros and cons but I genuinely enjoy Cinnamon more than I do Windows, it is very well thought out and everything is in its place.

thanks for the info, I'll give it a try since it seems like it might eventually be up my alley

Looks like I will try out MATE first.

Thanks for the clear, detailed info.

Don't fall for it. Cinnamon is so much better if you aren't using a toaster. I have never had it crash, not even once.

Every Windows user I have shown Mate and Cinnamon have always wanted to go with Cinnamon.

I'd go Mate on lower end machine or laptop. cinnamon on desktop. but MATE is probably more stable etc since it is gnome 2 fork. but cinnamon much nicer imo

Cinnamon is sweet.
Mate is same-sex.
There's a reason everybody uses cinnamon mint.

What do you all think system resources with cinnamon are compared to windows 10?

also gnome 3 compared to windows 10

>be kde fan
>be lmde fan
>fall into the solydk meme
>break everything
>go back to lmde | sed 's/mate/kde/g'
>break less things but still break things
fuck everything, i'm going back to debian

ew. using LMDE. forgot that even existed. so pointless. no offense

none taken, i am going back to debian after all
also nice dubsinglesingledubdubs

Audio never works out of the box for me on XFCE, there's always a problem with ALSA and PulseAudio

>sudo apt-get install NetworkManager

I like KDE more.
but from these two I guess cinnamon.

mint is outdated shit
get ubuntu MATE 16.04 x64. You'll love it.

You can choose the Redmond look in MATE Tweak and it will look exactly like Cinnamon on Mint, which is exactly like Windows 7. Or the Cuppertino look in case you're a homosexual.

Hell you can even make it look like Unity, not like anyone would actually want that.