Interesting computers thread

I'll start. This is RAD750 - a single-card computer that was manufactured by BAE Systems. The processor can endure radiation doses that are a million times more extreme than what is considered fatal to humans. Juno runs on it.

Other urls found in this thread:

nepp.nasa.gov/workshops/etw2013/talks/Wed_June12_2013/1140_LaBel_ AMD Processor Radiation Test Results.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Relevant
nepp.nasa.gov/workshops/etw2013/talks/Wed_June12_2013/1140_LaBel_ AMD Processor Radiation Test Results.pdf

For reference, some radiation hardened chips can withstand 1-4mrad.
The Trinity APU, off the shelf consumer chip, withstands 17mrad before it has any failures, and after that point it continues to function normally with a simple reboot.

GloFo's 32nm PD-SOI process produces chipps a full magnitude more radiation resistant than specialized rad hardened chips.

AND HOW MUCH DOES THE ONE IN OP WITHSTAND YOU FUCKING SHIT

>implying we all will not die from cancer

Probably just 1mrad. Its really nothing special, and its based on pretty dated IBM hardware.

Nice tard post btw.

While looking up error correction I remember reading somewhere that an unprotected system with no error correction will produce upwards of 30% errors on all processing as soon as the computer leaves the atmosphere. Your typical desktop computer would be completely unusable in the vacuum of space as it would crash due to corrupt memory before it even managed to boot.

all silicon chips enjoy a large innate resistance to radiation and electromagnetic interference. there's nothing particularly useful or groundbreaking here.

thx I caps locked it as good as I can

I figured, shit they send into space is fucking gabage
>800mhz chips eveywhere

give me a million dollarrs I'll put a fucking i3 in space and have the most powerful satellite up there

>all silicon chips enjoy a large innate resistance to radiation

A few hundred rads will shut down any unshielded chip fabbed on bulk.

>put ziplock bag over my chip
>protected from all elements

ez

Most processors used in space things tend to be pretty goddamn old. Low power, weak, but at the very least they've had ample time for reliability testing, and all their bugs to be fleshed out and documented. Can't have unknown hardware faults influencing software on mission critical systems.

Good luck with that.

>I'll put a fucking i3 in space and have the most powerful satellite up there
why the fuck would you need an i3 for basic physics, data collection and instrument control? all "real" computational work is done planet-side in the first place

Enjoy shit reliability, even in LEO.

All computers are interesting.

Did they run out of solder? Why are all parts kept on with hot glue?

The whole board is coated in resin for additional resilience, this is standard practice for military and space equipment. It's easier for them to replace the whole board instead of bothering with repairs anyway.

It looks like a load of jizz.

The way they coated this in resin triggers me.

>being this autistic

more threads like this please
was reading this week that the apollo 11 computer
input unit isn't the computer

>RAD750
The RAD750 system has a price that is comparable to the RAD6000 which is US$200,000 per board

Why is everything on that board coated in cum?

It's still pretty damn small, though.

so many logic cards. Just to think all that shit can be done on a single chip these days at a much faster rate.

I don't even think the AGC was that good at the time to begin with.

Can't shit on discrete cards though, it feels so... technological.

True, but at the same time multiple discrete cards results in increased power consumption and weight, both of which are commodities on any spacecraft.

The way the AGC was built though I think they built it like that so that between missions they could configure the flight software for that mission by simply swapping in and out pre-built cards.

Nowadays though with the processing and storage options available to us, it would be easier and faster to make it a single board computer with 2-4GB SLC flash storage, 1GB of ram (depending on flight ops needs), and dual-redundant rad-hardened flight computer.

The huge and rather heavy block of computing hardware used for the AGCs could be replaced with a Raspberry Pi's worth of compute hardware, and it would save a huge amount of resources.

Don't forget about serviceability too.

space computers don't need much processing power, they do most processing on the ground

Obviously you skipped over the bit about it being radiation-insensitive. Component density is a prime exposure for radiation.

True, but then again there were more fuckups due to PEBCAK than there was due to cosmic ray strikes, or in 13's case, their oxygen going boom and fucking up everything.

And for modern flight computers, they're usually double or triple redundant and are constantly checking each other for errors. IIRC the Space Shuttle was triple redundant with 2 backups on top of that on the flight computers.

Looks like it's covered in semen

That is not RAD750

RAD750 is a radiation hardened PowerPC 750 processor

what you have pictured is not a processor

Not pictured: MIPS flavor.
A pandora's box of odd hardware and rage inducing software choices.

>PPC 750
Can I run OS9 on it?

Not without a proper Gestalt ID

>dat PowerPC logo

the fuckin nostalgia

Well you might want to play Chrysis on high settings with it too, or maybe mine for bitcoins. I mean taking pictures of moon rocks, and trying to prove Jesus isn't the son of God and personal savior of mankind is only so useful in the real world, and all these darwinists at NASA know that. So might as well make the thing useful for something, right?

Why not? Cum is great for heat transfer.

I've always wanted one of the R5K versions of these, maybe as an aesthetic SSHv1-v2 bridge system so I can check my email on my primary server from shitboxes without opening it up to v1 vulnerabilities.

>than there was due to cosmic ray strikes
It's not really a matter of "it could happen" it's that it will happen. There's a reason there are more PEBCAK-related fuckups than hardware fuckups, after all.

Now this is what I call technology.