W10 Anniversary Update comes out soon

> W10 Anniversary Update comes out soon
> W10 Enterprise now requires a subscription
> Cortana can't be disabled at all
> Group Policy Editor is now disabled/removed from W10 Pro

Is this pretty much the end? Should I move back to W7?

Other urls found in this thread:

zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-will-require-more-ram/
github.com/dfkt/win10-unfuck
ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/
youtube.com/watch?v=1HLWe4-GI9k
youtube.com/watch?v=bwZUQP3oc6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i learned from buying vista that upgrading to the next biggest thing is a HORRIBLE mistake, and to always wait until it's clear how good or bad it is. Blind consumerism allowed this to happen, and folks like me who use win 7 or 8.1 that knew better find it fucking hilarious.

seriously vista left such a bad taste in my mouth i ended up using xp until 2014.

Group policy editor isn't going away, but some policies will not be enforced on Home/Pro.

It is pretty bullshit, though. I imagine they will reneg on the changes once business and work complains.

As far as I can tell, Cortana was never really "Disabled" anyway, it just didn't say the word "Cortana" in some places, and it only allowed basic file seraches.

> Group Policy Editor is now disabled/removed from W10 Pro
You could still do the edits through regedit. Until they fucking remove that too.
Guess I'm going to overuse my preactivated w7 iso for another few years.

Windows 10 was a mistake since the very beginning.

> Cortana
Probably even less used than Siri and Ok Google.

>You could still do the edits through regedit. Until they fucking remove that too.
They already are. The registry settings do nothing on Home/Pro. They are just ignored by the OS.

What's the point of a os that doesn't allow us to use our """personal computer"""

It also allowed web searches.

Also higher system requirements:
zdnet.com/article/windows-10-anniversary-update-will-require-more-ram/

get wimtweak
@echo off
cd /d "%~dp0"
echo Uninstalling Microsoft-Advertising...
CLS
install_wim_tweak.exe /o /l
install_wim_tweak.exe /o /c Microsoft-Advertising-xaml /r
install_wim_tweak.exe /h /o /l
echo Microsoft-Advertising should be uninstalled. Please reboot Windows 10.
pause

Is this the update with bash?

the only time i've used cortana is the xbox one preview version. everything she can do on there can be accomplished faster using the controller or a usb keyboard

2020 year of linux desktop

I don't know, I still think you could get away with the 32-bit version on 1 GB RAM if you disabled absolutely everything and powershell-wiped all the crapps.

The thing is, a lot of people DID wait, and after almost a year of other people shilling it, they thought it was the best Windows iteration yet.

And then Microsoft started doing this out of nowhere.

Good question, why don't you ask MS? It was hard enough giving away Win 10 for free. They are in for a rude awakening if they really think people are going to pay for the priviledge of losing control over basic aspects of their computer.

2016 has been an amazing Linux desktop year for me. Made the switch in November and have not regretted it since.

but muh games?

I don't play games on my desktop, and never have, so it hasn't affected me.

do not upgrade to win10. security updates for win7 last until 2020.

why would want an operating system that can tell microsoft whether or not you have pirated games on your system? why would you want to be part of the information collection botnet? who the fuck needs all that dumb shit in the start menu? why do you want your data stored on external cloud servers beyond your control? why do you want to use an operating system that turns its telemetry back on after updates - updates that you can't even choose whether or not to receive? why would you want to have an os that doesn't let you actually control anything?

(that being said, you can actually just get win10, make installation media for it, and then revert using the rollback tool or a system image, and then that machine is entitled to win10 in the future at any time for free)

I mean, uh, RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

>tfw linux is a largely inferior experience for me and it's pointless to switch unless I want to torture myself

setting your connection to metered enables you do defer updates (equivalent to the old "notify but let me choose when" setting)
The option only exists for wifi connections though, but there is a reg hack you can use to enable it on ethernet

Linux has improved immensely in the last year. I use a rolling release distro, and never experience any problems. I remember having issues all of the time even in LTS distros a few years back.Life is great.

K, it enjoy it more than Windows. Here's your (you)

I don't have that crapp on my Win 10 install. How does it get on there?

I'm glad you enjoy it.
I'm just saying that switching to linux is not an option for a bit of users.

It's time to move back to GNU/LINUX.

ubuntu you shitty memeboi

its on every w10 except enterprise

Enterprise doesn't require a subscription. That is optional.

start a cmd or powershell, run the Get-AppxPackage -allusers command, you should find it there somewhere

I just dumped that to a text file and searched for it, no results.

I know it's not, I'm just happy that it's been amazing for me personally. I finally have control over my computer again. Every problem I had with Windows is gone. I had no idea what I was missing out on all these years. Now it would be perfect if things like Photoshop and Visual Studio would come to Linux (some of the alternatives are butt). But nothing is ever perfect, I'm afraid.

which version of w10? did you run any privacy programs since you installed it? some of the bats and scripts posted over the last year included the removal commands

>I imagine they will reneg on the changes once business and work complains.
sure they will.

I did not run the "Nuke everything" script because I wanted to keep the store app intact. Other than that I use O&O ShutUp 10 and Spybot Antibeacon. Those don't remove any apps, they only change registry settings and add shit to the hosts file.

>"Nuke everything" script
where can I get this?

its here somewhere github.com/dfkt/win10-unfuck

>Group Policy Editor is now disabled/removed from W10 Pro
Wincucks getting C U C K E D

Is windows 10 better than 7 in any way?
No, i'm not talking about the botnet.

is it the win7/8 unfuck tool? the crap updates check and uninstall?

>Is windows 10 better than 7 in any way?
I would say "Only if you're a gaymer (DX12)" but if Vulkan takes off (and it should) there is no advantage left.

Stay at 7.

slightly faster boot times, slightly lower ram usage, and dx12.

that's about it, really.

>spying
>Source
Your ass.

>W10 Enterprise now requires a subscription

It doesnt, it is optional alternative pament model for bussines.

>Cortana can't be disabled at all

She can, by Group Policy editor. Also, a lot of language versions (that still comes with English or can simply get installed proper language pack) comes without Cortana in first place.

>Group Policy Editor is now disabled/removed from W10 Pro

It is not, gpedit is still there, only few policies change to "Enterprise/Edu only". This include Win 10 tips or lock screen disable option, but not critical ones like telemetry control, updates delivery options or web searching/recommended sites.

Holy shit, you guys now need to blantly lie in order to get those replies?

Here is some for you, if you want them so badly.

t. Rajesh Kumar

>only few policies change to "Enterprise/Edu only". This include Win 10 tips or lock screen disable option
But what if i want to disable the lock screen.

>> Group Policy Editor is now disabled/removed from W10 Pro
Is that true? Jesus Christ.

>I d-dont have any argument, b-b-better call him Indian, t-that always work!

More sad than funny, honestly.

Im from Poland, not India, if you are so curious.

Then yes, thats a problem. I dont see a reason to remove lock screen but still.

No, OP wants those sweet replies to feel better.

ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

>Can be disabled from the group policy editor
>The same group policy editor that's being restricted for pro and under users
>Even though MS released news a few days ago saying that she can't be disabled at all.
You're a terrible shill. Seriously, you're blatantly lying. Fuck you

Thanks.
I'll stay on 7 then.

I already moved back to 7

Sorry curry niggers, I need GPE

You can check the list of affected policies yourself. Shouldnt be hard, there are four, you dont even need more than one hand, another can remain in pants.

Everything else stays as it was. GP editor is still there, providing its functionality, not going anywhere.

>Even though MS released news a few days ago saying that she can't be disabled at all.

Yes, she cant be disabled in Settings "app"... but policy related to disabling Cortana is not blocked on Pro and will remain here after next update. In other words, you can still disable her.

What they said was true, from certain point of view. What I said is also true. It all depends on how you provide the info.

you should still have a win10-ready machine though, in case you want to take advantage of dx12. see also here's a decent vid on dx12 youtube.com/watch?v=1HLWe4-GI9k

let me guess. wuauserv will not be stoppable anymore

fucking kikes

correct, mr. quads.

do you think they'd really be pulling this shit if they weren't so certain hillary would be getting elected?

maybe but what's going to happen next?
Fix the hole and make the user unable to bypass all that shit
force a subcription for update and features?
more ads?
M$ taking full control of your computer?

if I dual boot Windows 10 with Linux will I be affected by the MS botnet?

You forgot to add that MS will make your computer explode, if you will try install Linux distro. Surely they will!

>will I be affected by the MS botnet?
only every time you boot into 10. but you can just unplug your ethernet before booting into 10 every time, in order to disable all that shit again.

So i downloaded the win10 isos before the free offer ended, did i do good or will the spying never be removed from that OS?

so if I understood you correctly there is no way to avoid the botnet with w10 on your computer even if you mostly use linux.

well except for going out of your way and unplugging the ethernet cable?

you can avoid it, you just have to put in effort. every time it restarts after updates, a lot of telemetry points will be reactivated. you just have to go through and disable them again before connecting to the internet.

but yes, it's ridiculous.

Haven't heard anything about that. Even the "unstoppable" Windows services like the ones that update live tiles can still be disabled by registry changes.

what the fuck, all the basic telemetry settings reset after each update?

not all, but some. and it changes depending on the update. I have a friend who's been making a list of which ones were reactivated after every update, after about 10 updates it basically runs through the whole list, so if you aren't checking regularly you'll end up with almost all of the shit back on.

>can still be disabled by registry changes.
for now.

Yes, every single time you update they reset. Fucking hate Microshit.

>Is that true?
No, it's just crippled. They are removing options in it so you can't use it to do shit like disable ads.

>I have a friend who's been making a list of which ones were reactivated after every update, after about 10 updates it basically runs through the whole list, so if you aren't checking regularly you'll end up with almost all of the shit back on.
God damnit that is so shady. What a bunch of sleezoids that make this shit.

>I don't see a reason to remove lock screen
I don't know dude, maybe because some people are using a fucking desktop? Desktops don't need lockscreen.

As far as I can tell, only major updates re-enable parts of the OS because it's basically a full replacement of Windows kernal, like an upgrade from one version of Windows to another (8->8.1)

>and then revert using the rollback tool or a system image, and then that machine is entitled to win10 in the future at any time for free

You say this, but both a rollback and ssytem image caused my video drivers to constantly crash after that, almost as if the video card was dying.

Then I went back to W10 and it works smoothly again.

thanks microsoft

yeah, a lot of people were saying it basically ruined their hardware. some people even said it "broke their ram." fucking win10 man, ridiculous.

I-if I curl up in a corner and hug my pillow do you think they won't see me, or will they still notice me and demand I drink another verification can?

The stupid consumer base
> but it`s free and it just werks
Microsoft execs
> fish on, lets bag`em and tag`em, time to profit.

Win 10 cucks squealing about the changes Microsoft is making makes me face palm. You stupid fucks gave them complete control over your OS, now stfu and deal with it. Should have read your terms of use agreement before you installed or bought the newest greatest thing since sliced bread. Lmfao.

Wait so even if I make a clone disk using Macrium Reflect or whatever and restore my W7 it can still brick my shit?

skymeme support

literally cucked by the good old intel microshaft combo

probably zen will require it too..

There are some things about it that are better. It doesn't really improve on the Windows formula though. It's still a clunky pleb OS.

20hrs b4 the deadline, should i upgrade for free or can you pirate that shit?

people worried by this kind of shit will be laughed at in a century, as much as those retards thinking Halley's comet would hit the earth in 1910.

you seem to be unable to judge the proportion of simple things: those tiny changes in win10 are pretty much irrelevant.

you must expect tons of this stuff in the next years and decades, and nobody will be affected by that in the least.

hello pajeet

(You)
youtube.com/watch?v=bwZUQP3oc6E

The smell of curry is over 9000

Yo guys need some help. So I just reset my PC to finish installing something. I turn it back on and I've come to a login screen, I've never had to log into this thing before, its always just gone straight to desktop. The account it's asking me to log into has a stupidly long password that I have saved in a password manager. Obviously I can't get to it because I'm locked out of my fucking computer. My email address that is the recovery email also has one of these stupidly long passwords. Is there anyway to bypass the login screen? Also feel free to berate me for being a fucking idiot

>do you think they'd really be pulling this shit if they weren't so certain hillary would be getting elected?

Hillary will go to jail, Trump will win the election, but he will be assassinated shortly after. Screencap this post.

>but he will be assassinated shortly after
pls no, just let hillary die

>upgrade to win10 on the last possible day
>wait until it says "this device has a digital entitlement" and revert to win7
>nothing is broken, no problems, telemetry is easy to remove
>no programs uninstalled, no games are glitchy
I am the luckiest man on the planet.

>> W10 Enterprise now requires a subscription

The original payment system is still there you parroting fuck

>Group Policy is still here on 14393, some rules were removed...

>take old HDD
>plug that old slut in
>install windows 7 on it
>let windows 7 update and all that shit
>get win10 prompt
>"upgrade" to windows 10
>Check that its genuine, it is.
>reboot Recheck, still good
>unplug old hdd
>plug regular drives and ssd back in
>chuck Old drive into drawer in antistatic shit
>????
>Walk the dinosaur

yeah, would be nice if I had an extra drive.

Anyone have a guide to disabling telemetry on W7?

What if you're too clueless to even install w7?

Have to cloud do it for you, of course!

>out of nowhere.

Just pirate Enterprise and run KMSPICO then the group policy editor is there

>out of nowhere.
>of nowhere.
>nowhere.
>.
>And then Microsoft started doing this out of nowhere.