Moar cores

>Games are starting to use more cores
>6 core CPU is $600, 8 core $1000 and 10 core $1800
>Also need a 3x more expensive motherboard

As if high end GPUs weren't expensive enough, now you also need an i7 extreme CPU to go with them. Playing newest AAA games is ridiculously expensive if you want more than 60 FPS.

First, . Second, i5s will do just fine, especially when devs will start using dx12/vulcan. Third, most of the AAA is garbage. I'd rather play indie garbage than that.

>if you want more than 60 FPS.

tell me about it, the next logical upgrade I want out of a monitor is 1440p/144hz/g|freesync but it'd easily end up being >£1.2k~ on just the gpu(s) and monitor alone

>playing AAA titles
also

>mfw bought 8350 on launch with a mobo combo that made it a great deal
>mfw within spitting distance of the i5-6600k with my 4.7ghz OC

kek

Intel is so jew that the next "extreme" CPUs will start from 4 cores. Regular 4 cores will use different socket and can't be overclocked.

So we are actually going backwards.

I spend 1100 Euro for my WQHD 144Hz Freesync monitor. Worth it though. Eizo's stuff is fucking sweet.

the FX 8xxx series was always great value, bought cpu + cooler + mobo + ram for the same price as a mid ranged i5 cpu.

>needs 8 cores to almost match 4 intel cores in multithreaded software
>their new zen CPUs will be 40% faster, but 0.5*1.4 is still only 0.7

Are you retarded?

Enjoy that 225Watt TDP :^)
I have an 8350 too and I love that thing to death but I sold it.
That thing hit 5.2GHz under water at like, 1.42V
It was a monster but power usage was abmysal

I love how people disregard price, and the fact that there was a generation or two after vishera that got boosts that were only in laptops, I bought the CPU and mobo at $210 on launch day, now its significantly cheaper.
People have already calculated the single core performance to be on the intel i 4th generation speed, and if i recall, the 6th generation actually DROPPED IPC from the 5th generation.
AMD has also stated that Zen is exceeding expectations and is surpassing 40%.

>AMD has also stated that Zen is exceeding expectations and is surpassing 40%.
[citation needed]

>what is taking 5 seconds to google something

It would need 100% faster IPC to achieve that

Even if they managed that, it's already too late. 2014 performance in 2017.

I've heard AMD's baseline will be 4 core 8 thread with zen, and their middle-of-the-road will be 8core/16thread

With server options at 16core/32 thread and 32 core/64 thread

>no official sources

>within spitting distance
>has to overclock
>compared to base clock of a multiplier unlocked CPU
k

+40% are not in relation to Vishera but Excavator. Reports from engineering samples say Haswell-like IPC.
Go spread your misinformation somewhere else.

this is true. Retards on here(incl OP) always posting benchmarks for utterly garbage ass games like crysis 3. The game is terribly optimized and boring as fuck. stop this shit fags.

oh tell me about it, I'd probably wait until 1440p/144hz ulmb monitors become more common and it's very likely a >£500 gpu on top of that

my last gpu was ~£200 that dropped to ~£110 after a few months so I may be waiting a while though :)

what game is this?

Ain't that cool, maybe my 12 core CPU isn't a paperweight in games after all.

WoW is the only game you need.
Everything else is garbage.

I doubt you are close to a 6600k

>220W FX9590 sitting below 65W Core i5

with touhous

You can build a 32 core x7560 for like $300 so if games actually become multithreaded it's an easy problem to solve.

>x7560
Yea you're not gonna be using that server board for anything. Server boards are BAD.

People have benched them for gaming. They perform fine, but there aren't any get that can actually utilize that kind of monster so you don't see the performance gains that you do in something like file compression, where it completely and ruthlessly slaughters any desktop PC. Which is why I added the qualifier "if get actually become multithreaded"

Had one and hated it, bad minimum framerates and anything that wasn't optimized to take advantage of all 8 cores (read: 75% of games) just didn't run that well. Getting 40fps at 1080p in half the areas in Dark Souls 3 with an overclocked 8350 and 390 feels so fucking bad. I got a 4670k from a friend for dirt cheap and at 4.4 GHz it murders it and I regret not upgrading sooner.

I could stomach the Crysis games having such astronomical requirements if the game wasn't so shit.

I didn't talk about the performance, it just has shit features. Not even onboard sound. Usually a stupid proprietary layout and the sockets don't usually fit decent coolers.

Why is it in every one of these threads the only people holding on to the idea that AMD is even still competitive are the absolutely retarded ones?

I'm actually about to do a 8350 build...can't wait Fuck Intel.

Onboard sound is shit and if you're building a 32-core brick shit house you may as well watercool it, which will work fine on a server board.

Looks like my fx6350 will have aged much better than my friends i5 3220 if this is the case :')

If you have enough money to buy shit like external DACs and custom watercooling, I think you automatically defeat the argument that buying some shitty 4 CPU server board for obsolete processors is a good idea because it's cheap.

You don't even need an external DAC. Even a used Xonar is leagues better than onboard sound. Also, custom watercool in isn't much more expensive than buying a decent heatsink.

As for it being cheap, it's not only cheap, but it's in its own league for anything that actually takes advantage of 64 fucking threads

Xonar is marginally better than a good onboard audio solution.
The coolest thing about Xonar pci cards is that they support 4/6/8 channel audio.
A good external DAC is leagues above onboard solutions.
I have an ifi iDAC2 and the Asus xonar DG and I can confirm.

It won't become more common because it's a resolution that barely has support. Even new games need updates for it. And Media almost doesn't even recognize it. If you have the money got for it but it won't ever be the norm unfortunately.

Xonar is a turd. My friend has it and it's a horrible card with horrible drivers for what is a marginal upgrade from decent onboard. You do need an external DAC.

You also get surround simulation with sound cards that no external DAC will do AFAIK. Dolby Headphone, CMSS-3D, etc are actually really nice for gaymen.

agreed. crysis 3 benchmark meme needs to die.

Zen soon fellow Stalker

scarlet curiosity

>it's a resolution that barely has support

What? Properly made anything doesn't need "support".

I've played hundreds of games at 1440p with no issues.

the cryengine shipped with crysis 3 was pretty good, you really can't argue that (atleast the version i played which was some time later than release). it ran perfectly fine on most max details on my machine (texture memory being the bottleneck due to 1.5GB gpuram), while most games released to date have shittier graphics but perform even worse.

>scarlet curiosity
thank you, user.

This is honestly pretty fucking exciting, it's probably the most excited i've been in years.

Vulkan/DX12 are doing great things, stuff that seemed stupid a year ago. I mean just look at Doom results, it's great.

Just did an 8320 and love it

Pull the trigger nigger it costs nothing

Don't. Wait for Zen.

Yes, the 8350 is pretty good with DX12 and Vulkan but it's still a really old CPU

So is it feasible to build a used xeon pc gayman machine? I feel kind of tempted because it seems like it be faster for everything else. Not only for gayming.

>2500k is still good they said
>2500k will be able to handle any game for the next 10 years they said

FUCK THIS SHITTY CPU I CAN'T WAIT TO UPGRADE.

>bought a i7 4790k for $350
>couple months later i7 6700k comes out
fucking hang me kek

>amd

>2500k beating a 9590
yeah why don't I believe this?

>9590
>220W
>barely matches i3 3.5GHz

>amd
>gayming cpu

>yeah why don't I believe this?
because you're clueless retard? AMD cpus are a fucking joke. Especially after faildozer.

AMD will save us all with Zen.

but I already knew that, I just didn't think it was this bad.

>tfw muh hexacore i7 980x is still not that obsolete after 6 years.

$1000 well spent.