github.com/freebsd/freebsd
man.openbsd.org/radeon.4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just switch to Linux already

linux is trash

Linux virtualisation >> FreeBSD virtualisation

this painting is badass

is this a bot?

kek I don't get this, OP. If you are fighting with Linux not even Sup Forums will take your browser OS seriously

pretty sure he made this thread to trigger you

or maybe you're actually OP too

OP here, I'm just here to troll Linux users.

You do realise everytime you try your whole thread gets rekt and you convince no one to install BSD

all you do is convince people that you're insane though, that's why these threads exist

I made a few BSD threads myself. Either they got derailed or went dead within 20 posts

we used to have somewhat ok threads until that fucker came along and spent his days derailing them, scaring everyone away

Maybe because you want to fight Linux in a Linux/windows board?

Is anyone able to download the source code for 11-CURRENT in the installation phase?

don't justify shitposting

install from the CD instead, hell you should probably use CVS instead to get the latest and greatest

Why should i use bsd over linux?

No, You are shitposting. I make both Linux and BSD threads. Making a thread to "troll Linux users" won't convince people at all.

You are the part of the problem

When are they going to switch to git?

fucking cvs is gay

1. actually useful manpages
2. well separated base and third party programs
3. overall simplicity, upgrading it and accidentally breaking it is hard since everything is neatly bundled together
4. openbsd has great programs that all use a very similar configuration syntax that's sane and understandable
5. generally sane defaults
6. they don't answer to the guy who wrote this
forum.quartertothree.com/t/richard-stallman-su-and-the-wheel-group/10448

what? im not that guy

pretty sure freebsd has done it, but yeah i fucking CAN'T stand CVS, openbsd devs are probably less willing since they've been developing their own CVS tools

For FreeBSD, it has really easy-to-follow wiki. It does lack contents but the system is actually simpler than Linux.

FreeBSD is a better and simpler DIY OS than Linux. That being said, I'm not sure it replaces Linux completely.

can confirm freeBSD has NOT switched to Git

github.com/freebsd/freebsd
what's this then

freeBSD for server
Linux distro for desktop

That being said, I wouldn't mind if Linux was more like bsd.

Hardcore Arch fan here. I agree specially to >2. well separated base and third party programs

Just because Arch is shit doesn't mean every GNU/Linux distro is.

:^)

freebsd stopped being good after version 7

fuck you bitch

>implying that most of us BSD users don't use Linux too, or that we never have.

The only BSD users (if most of them can rightfully be considered that) you'll find who aren't very likely to be very familiar with Linux are OSX users, and PS4 owners. Most of us who haven't been around since the 386BSD days or earlier, came to the BSDs from Linux, and a lot of us, perhaps even the majority of us, use both regularly. So this is not the either/or situation Linux fanboys like to present it as. Furthermore, contrary to what you may misguidedly believe, we use what we use because we find it useful for whatever reason, and not merely to spite people like you.

Arch easily is one of the best distros. ABS and pkgbuild is heavily inspired by the ports system

Alpine is definitely my favorite linux distro, it's the most BSD out of all of them in my opinion. The installer is even lifted from OpenBSD.

Shame about the complete lack of support.

Serious question:

I was never able to successfully install *BSD OS because my graphics card is not supported. So what should I do to make it work?

What is compatibility like on BSDs? No compatibility with Linux based packages? I swear I see them bundled together sometimes. Pretty sure I can just google about the ports system here.

How is *BSD for software development? I don't need IDEs or anything but good documentation built in would be nice I guess, most Linux man pages are like a map of the cells of a human body when all I wanted was a first name

Depends, what do you have and which BSD?

I heard SPARC64 gained full disk encryption support in OpenBSD. Is it just SPARC64 and x86(_64) now? Or have any other platforms gotten support?
>tfw no full disk encrypted PowerBook

If it's open source, it'll likely run on BSD unless the programmer was completely retarded.

>How is *BSD for software development?
Pretty good. They all ship with dev tools out of the box. No need to get the headers from the package manager or anything. I like how some of the OpenBSD manpages have examples for C functions, really helped me to understand getopt.

nah man. arch is a headache. can't use it as your default os that you can count on everyday for work. if arch is your only os, you are most likely severely unemployed and/or masochistic.

Sweet. I installed BSD when I was young once on a shitbox but never touched it. Think I'll install again after work tomorrow

>For FreeBSD, it has really easy-to-follow wiki. It does lack contents but the system is actually simpler than Linux.
this is the result of BSD being designed by educated people who want to make something great. Linux is the result of semi-educated people who have a chip on their shoulder and want to think they are outsmarting other people. really, they are like problem children compared to the BSD community

Currently AMD HD 8570D. I have dedicated Nvidia graphics cards (like the 640) but my motherboard has a custom BIOS so I can't change the fraphics card from the motherboard one to the dedicated one.

Either OpenBSD and FreeBSD will be fine. I tried installing both but it had a same result. I assume there must an option where you can install something incase your graphics card isn't supported, but I wasn't able to find such alternative.

Try PC-BSD

man.openbsd.org/radeon.4
According to this, it supports it, but I don't trust the X manpages.

The OBSD devs should really get around to trying to fix them.

Alright, thanks

Also keep in mind that on the first boot, OpenBSD downloads firmwares.

This confused the shit out of me the first time when I installed it on this PC, since that meant I didn't have any video until I rebooted the machine, then it worked perfectly.

Which fibre channel HBA works best in freebsd? qla24xx or qla25xx?
Is NPIV supported?

I don't know what you're asking, but chances are your answer is in the pci manpage or even usb manpage if it's USB based

How to dual boot freebsd with win10?

you stop talking about it and just do it

don't know about freebsd or even win10 since i used 7, but for openbsd it was literally as simple as dd'ing the first 512 mb's of the boot partition to a file and adding it to the windows bootmgr

???
I can't do it if I don't know how. That's the whole point of my post.

rEFInd

my God ur dumb

it's not much different than dual booting any other OS.

so how good is the ixsystems stuff?

i want to throw money at a BSD and what better way to do that than actually buying hardware?

By donating directly to OpenBSD

you're not wrong to be honest

what is theo looking at

We have lost sight of the tenets of UNIX. Yes, I realize we are in the modern era, and UNIX is over 40 years old, but the tenets that made UNIX great are still valid to this day.

The tenet I wanted to touch on is the tenet of UNIX that suggests we "keep it simple". Complexity is not only the enemy of this tenet, it's also the enemy of security and common sense.

I have, in the last year, begun a move of my critical machines to BSD variants, namely FreeBSD and OpenBSD. OpenBSD in particular, exemplifies the tenets of UNIX better than any other OS that is in use. Theo and team correctly understand the issues of complexity and security and their product reflects the care they take. I liken their work to that of a gardener and his bonsai trees.

FreeBSD is rapidly becoming the "go to" OS for those who are disillusioned with what Linux as become -- namely bloated, complicated, and difficult to deal with. Linux, while intentionally what it is in terms of choices, has become fractured internally what with respected long-standing developers leaving for this or that reasons. Some of this is because of systemd, some of it for other reasons.

Let's be honest for a minute. Linux is not a bad ecosystem. It's has become a difficult maze of kernel, weird and varied frameworks, too many user land utilities and DE/WMs, and the legacy stuff that Windows and Apple were accused of is there for all who have eyes to see. Nothing is perfect, obviously, but the creep is evident and obvious. I'm severely disappointed with the notion of binary blobs, something OpenBSD correctly rejects out of hand.

For me and my IT shop, we are headed towards the BSD camp because of the above and because I value stability and engineering above all else. BSD has always cared more about being "correct" than cool. BSD is engineered, while Linux seems haphazard. My .02.

this slashdot post is right, you know

I hadn't touched the BSDs (with the exception of Mac) in nearly a decade but recently had reason to dig into FreeBSD and OpenBSD. I installed both, played around and dug into some work related to my goals. This will sound funny, but I almost wept. They were both so straight forward and HELPFUL!! The errors suggested paths for getting it right the next time. The documentation was up to date and made perfect sense. Everything was where and what the documentation said it would be and where I intuitively wanted to look for it. The config files had nice big comments and helpful examples you could uncomment and use. There was just no noise.

I started out with Linux a little late. In 1996 I bought that Gray Box with the Red Hat on it when it started selling at Fry's. That box came with a book. I was a Windows admin at the time and the mix of dlls, config files and registry entries was just getting annoying. I was playing the the pre-release of NT 4.0 and worrying about all the shit they moved out of userland and into the kernel. I remember going through the Red Hat book that came with that box, reading man pages and falling in love. It made sense. I got excited about knowing where to look and having pretty much ONE set of things to know for all the configuration files and shell work. I felt like if I did my homework and took an action, it wouldn't betray me.

FreeBSD made me feel that way again but MORE. It's an operating system you can master with the necessary services to do anything.

As the opportunities arise I'll be switching to one of the BSDs. I'm already running some of my cloud services on FreeBSD 10.1. There are more services in the cloud for Linux but it's worth the extra bits of work to me. And I'm constantly pleasantly surprised that the work I prepare for has already been done somewhere or is easier than I thought it would be.

If you feel like Linux is getting too complex. There's and alternative *NIX out there worth a good hard look.

I switched to BSD because I've never tried a good Linux distro before: distro makers should be shot.
And every time I think "let me try Linux again" I find the distros still come half-baked with the oddest assemblage of packages.
They don't even come with the compilers pre-installed.

yeah, can't believe i used them for so long

the only good one was debian and they fucked that up, gentoo is alright too i guess but its still kind of a mess

>inb4 this is a slashdot post

How good is PC-BSD? Will it run well in virtualbox?

My post wasn't slashdot. One day I decided to learn Unix, having only used Windows before, and tried multiple GNU/Linuxes before trying FreeBSD.

BSDs are made for bare metal, so they're slow in VMs. To be fair Linux in a VM is slow as balls too.

But yeah, it'll run.

I have regular FreeBSD in Virtualbox on Windows right now, since while I normally use OpenBSD on metal, I have to be on Windows for a couple weeks right now.
FreeBSD seems to be working fine so far, but I haven't and won't be installing X on it.

Is it true OpenBSD is as stable and secure out of the box as they say it is?

I've not had it crash, and I've not had security issues, but I just use it as a desktop. It only also serves one website that not many people visit.
But I'd say yes.

The defaults are pretty sane and secure, yeah.

You'll find that most services are turned off by default. Definitely requires less tinkering than FreeBSD.

I actually think people overrate OpenBSD's security quite a bit in comparison to the other positive things about it.

Bsd doesn't replace linux.

Cool, provide details.

They don't do the same things, they have different uses.

Details please.
By the way, in Debian/kFreeBSD the FreeBSD kernel replaces Linux.

Linux has larger support from hardware vendors, is better suited for desktop and has more software. Bsd isnt bad either but i wouldnt uae it as a desktop os.

OpenBSD is my daily desktop OS though.

Yeag its not bad but needing to run everything through a compatibility layer is a pain. Bsd also depend on porting their drivers from the linux kernel because driver sypport is just that bad. Bsd as a system is great, i liked the documentation, helpful community etc but it just isn't ready for desktops.

1. Because you want to run non-free BIOS software. (You can't run BSD on Libreboot)

>Yeag its not bad but needing to run everything through a compatibility layer is a pain.
I can count the software I need to run on a compatibility on one hand and one finger even.

That would be Steam for Linux, which is awful so I don't want to run it.

I think you're doing something incredibly wrong if you REALLY need it, but that's just my opinion. It's really a last resort solution.

Whose fault could that possibly be?

I didn't assign any blame because I don't care who is to blame

What difference is there between BSD and Linux when it comes to daily use and general system admin? I'm guessing BSD is more old school with plaintext logs and cron jobs?

>cuck license
no thanks

>arch is a headache.
Nah, you can use a LTS Kernel and avoid all problems. I do this on a laptop of mine because of spotty hardware support which can lead to some shitty suprises using the regular kernel.

Support probably hasn't increased any since the last time you tried BSD, prepare to be under-whelmed.

KEK LICENSE
U
C
K

L
I
C
E
N
S
E

the only cuck license is the GPL

>cuck me guise
please

>he wants to have his work stolen and used in non-free software
You are the definition of a cuck.

GPL
>You want to release my software and take away the user's freedoms? I won't stand for it! I'm going to fight you to give my users the freedom they deserve!
vs. BSD/MIT
>Y-you want to release my software and t-take away the user's freedoms? O-okay, I won't stop you...
How is BSD not a cuck license?

Linux > BSD

>BSD
You mean the plagerized works of OS X/Linux?

I fell for the meme.
BSD is the worst shit there is.
Never again.

>gives no reasons

Because you can't make money off communism

Thank you for the actually useful writeup.

BSD is the license for the white man, GPL is communism jewry.

Noob here. I wanna try BSD. I have three important questions though.

1) What's the difference between FreeBSD and OpenBSD?

2) Can I dual boot with GNU/Linux using GRUB bootloader? I currently have Kubuntu installed. If I make a FreeBSD live USB will I have to manually update GRUB or does the installer give me an option to install GRUB?

3) Can I used the KDE desktop environment with it? What are the limitations/restrictions on using the DEs commonly used with GNU/Linux distributions?

trust me when i say it's a waste of time. It's fun for wasting time and checking out a slightly different system but eventually you won't use it and will go back to linux

it's not worth the hassle, just get better at linux. that will pay off more.

If you know so much could you answer my questions?

>Yeag its not bad but needing to run everything through a compatibility layer is a pain
OpenBSD doesn't even have a Linux compat layer anymore. The only thing that I ever used it for anyway was Opera 12.