-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>FAQ and headphone buying guides
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Good and cheap 7.1 headphones?

>7.1

no such thing, dont waste your money on those gimmick headphones.
The speakers in the headphone are too close to make any difference, it sounds more like a DSP effect than 'surround sound'

Buy a pair of good quality headphones OR a proper 5.1 / 7.1 setup.

Listen to Don't be a tool who got a Kraken for the 7.1 meme.
If you absolutely want "7.1", you should consider getting yourself one of those Creative sound card (DAC) which will do virtual 7.1.
It does work for those in-ear earbuds, but I think you should just get a good set of headphones instead.

what are some good earbuds under $50?
Should i get the yuin pk2?

AKG K702, Philips Fidelio X2, Hifiman HE400S (I've , MDR-1R or something else? Thanks Sup Forumsoyim.

>Budget
>Location
US

>Source
Yulong U100 headphone desktop amp/dac

>Preferred type of headphone
full-sized

>Open or closed
either is fine

>Comfort level
no preference

>Preferred tonal balance
*forward mids and a decent amount of bass (I usually use speakers primarily because my studio monitors + Polk DSW550wi sub have better dynamic range)
*primarily listen to hardstyle, some hardcore, some dubstep, and some metal
*I found the Audio-Technica AD2000X and AKG K551 (what I was able to demo at my local best buy back when I got the HD558) to be a bit boring for my liking

>Past headphones
*fell for the Beats Studio meme (got them in middle school, looking back at them they were complete shit, 14 year old me got them because they sounded quite good and I had never heard any decent headphones before, I was also a retarded basshead) [stolen by niggers]
*Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 (heavy bass, treble was screechy af, 15 year old me fell for the basshead meme) [sold]
*KEF M500 (overall quite pleased with sound signature, highs are crisp, muh A E S T H E T I C, portable)
*Sennheiser HD558 (desktop, bass has presence and deep extension but a bit lacking, excellent sound stage, only open back headphones)

>Budget
under $250

*was trying to say "(I've heard planar magnetic drivers are bretty gud)"

>*forward mids and a decent amount of bass
DT880?

Looking for comfy on/over ears that won't have to touch the top of my head. I use product in my hair and the last thing I need is that shit getting on the band.

Haven't heard any of these in person

>fell for basshead meme
>I was a retarded basshead
>I want a decent amount of bass

>Was a retarded basshead
>WAS

>Yulong U100

So you went from retarded basshead to lying hipster?

Why do people think that no bass + deadly highs = neutral

Looking for some advice:

>Budget
up to $150, willing to be a little flexible if some cans hit slightly above that
>Location
US
>Source
Aux, no amp or dac
Looking for over-ear
>Open or closed
Closed, I want that isolation
>Comfort level
This is a priority, I'll be wearing them for spans up to 5 hours.
>Preferred tonal balance
I really don't know my preference, so balanced all around is okay.
>Past headphones
Ultrasound HFI-2400 (open full)

Nah, I simply realized that "muh maximum bass" wasn't everything and that random bass notes isn't music. I'm 20 now to put into perspective.

Give me neutral IEMs for

X2 might be nearest to what you want. Watch out for the highs.
>(I've heard planar magnetic drivers are bretty gud)"
Don't just get something different for the sake of being different. Get it because it works.
The HE-400S bass is very lacking.

An odd request. Most pads are designed with oval openings. People who do that often ask for in-ears or clips ons and such. May be worth considering earphones.
On ears are rarely comfortable, but some can be worn that way.
I might have been able to wear the DT880 Pro that way, but I haven't tried that in years.
That's all I can offer.

Etymotic MK5.

>I might have been able to wear the DT880 Pro that way, but I haven't tried that in years.
I can, I took my DT880 Pro out of storage just to try this. The clamp is so strong you can wear it this way if the headband leans on your upper back close to the neck area.

Can't be done with the Premium DT880.

That sounds kinda shite though. Like wearing a vicegrip on your head.

You could just bend the headband but I'm autistic, don't wanna mess with the sound. Besides, I've got two DT880s ;)

is the HD800/S "punchy?" i'm trying to find an elear in the seattle area to listen to because of their supposed super visceral punchy response, but i also want the commonly praised detailed and airy treble characteristics of the 800. man it's hard to find a lot of the $1000+ headphones locally. this hobby is going to lead me down a dark path.

It's not punchy, but the treble is quite airy, I've got a vanilla HD800. Bass response is typical of open backed models.

The 7KHz is the only thing that you should watch out for with the 800. I used an equalizer to deal with it.

the choice between a fun "cinematic" and "explosive" response vs a overall more hifi signature is tough. hopefully one or both of them will pop up somewhere nearby.

>Budget
$120
>Location
US
>Source
Phone, IPod, PC
IEM
>Comfort level
Silicon tips or foam for longer use.
>Preferred tonal balance
Anything

>Etymotic MK5.
Different poster, this really ticks all the boxes for me as my new IEM, except for the impedance and sensitivity, how loud does it really get with smartphones?

MA750?

Whoa never seen this before. Thanks man.

One question, an user also recommended me se215 in the past. Is the se215 good?

>Is the se215 good?
No.

I'd only suggest the SE215 if you have to have detachable cables and cannot get the IM70.

And to be honest, I don't really see the appeal in detachable cables when you get IEMs with a three year warranty.

>is the HD800/S "punchy?"

That really depends on what you'd consider punchy. Before I have the HD800S, I used to have an HD800 modified with the SD resonator and their bass packed a lot of punch for sure compared to say, the HD600.

>Budget
Under $350
>Location
US
>Source
Desktop
Over the Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Extremely comfortable. There might be periods where I use them upwards of 8 hours at a time.
>Preferred tonal balance
Mid-centric
>Past headphones
Sony Wireless Headphones (comfortable but apparently shared a frequency with my phone causing frequent interruption)
ATH-M50x (incredibly uncomfortable as they don't fit over my ears, although sound quality isn't particularly bad)

PM3 if you can pop the budget or HP50?

Raising the budget a bit isn't too much a problem. But will the PM3 actually fit someone with a head that's above average in size?

I can only comment on my normal sized head. You might try reading the reviews on Amazon or various forums to see if anyone with a big head posted about it.

>Budget
$1000
>Location
US/Canada
>Source
Desktop
over ear
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
Real comfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
Mid forward good treble
>Past headphones
X2, Noble 4U IEM

(listened to EQ'd HD800 and T1, liked those. Didn't hate LCD-2 but those are fucking heavy)

>found a set of mdr-7520's that were way under priced on ebay
>go for it becuase I sold some headphones I had that I wasn't really using

I don't think I've had a pair of headphones that sound this good that I can drive with just my phone

You already tried and liked the HD800, so might as well go for it.

what do you think about these?

I have my Sony MDR-7506's and replaced the muffs with the beyerdnamic valor ones
Did I make the right choice?
Haven't tested it too much yet except it is way more comfy but some people said it's at the sacrifice of audio quality is that true?

Good in-ear head phones for under £100, for listening to music when walking or travelling

I had MDR-V6's with the Beyer pads, I didnt think it changed the sound that much.

See

Something something fill out the form but my go to recommendations are RE400 and HF5.

Yeah but that's with EQ. I had to dial the spike down.
Some people really insist on tubes. I don't. Never fell for that warmth meme.

What's the problem with using EQ? Every headphone needs it in some way, no matter the pricepoint.

The real meme is
>tubes are warm
Not all tubes are warm/rolled off in treble. Bright and """neutral""" tubes exist.

>Every headphone needs it in some way
not really

I know everyone here hates to admit that they're a basshead. And this is my stupid suggestion but you will be presently happy - Anyone who has a K7XX put bass boost on your primary listening device for windows and listen to... well you know what - some bass heavy song.

It gives you that punchy bass that's still so satisfying.

It's fun.

There is nothing wrong with being a bass head. I listened to M-100 for one. It puts a smile to my face and I feel slightly dirty but I don't care.

anything better around the price of evo681 or not?really want to get the best thing for that price

Just bought MSR7 how much did I fuck up?

Pretty decent if you don't mind the small pads.

nobody?

SHP9500?

I'm going to ignore the template because my needs are specific and pic-related.

Long story short, I can't stand earbuds. They're uncomfortable, too small and/or too big, itchy, and annoying to work out with. I've been using these for at least a decade. They're literally the only thing I've found comfortable. Let alone for hours on end.

Anyways, with the seemingly inevitable demise of 3.5 jacks, and the discontinuation of these, I was wondering if Sup Forums is aware of anything similar (an all plastic, wrapped, sport design) that are Bluetooth.

Specifically the in-ear part is what I like most about these, but also, they fit so perfectly I can sleep in them.

Death of 3.5mm is fucking grossly exaggerated. You should look for a separate bluetooth DAC instead.
Long story short, I too, have a problem with old earbuds. I've switched over to IEM instead, but I am not (You)

uterus headphones

How do you into listening to 0s and 1s

I tried a few sets of IEM, specifically Jaybird brands, and most recently their X2. ( I used to work for a company that shared a business complex with them, they literally throw away returns and excess, no wonder they're so expensive) None were comfortable. If anything, they were worse than earbuds.

Let's try this again.

Is he right ? Are digital headphones the future

they are not even close to the price of evo and dont even have them in my country

Retarded. SINE uses lightning to connect to bypass the iPhone's DAC to the DAC/amp built into the cable which, amazingly, makes it analog.

philips shp-2000
i use it and I am satisfied
anything above this is pseudoscience

>not even close to the price of evo
You should fly over to those United states of America and buy them here.
>my country
You never clarified that.

You are real easy to please. Are you running these out of your phone? I can't believe that you consider plastic band around your head to be comfy, but I don't think you care.

>You never clarified that.
Because we have almost all headphones here just not this model.

Etymotic E6 for 50 euros, good deal?

Isn't ER6 really old and discontinued?
And Sup Forumsirls, don't even try to talk sense into Sup Forums

Accuracy

It's second hand- I'm lowballing him at 35 for an initial bid.

Maybe get it at around 40-45.

bump

Low but flat impedance. It's not low enough to be a problem on most devices.
Sensitivity is not nearly as high as balanced armatures, and lower than most other moving coil in-ears. Sensitivity is fairly average among headphones overall (rated at 115 dB/1 V).

It's good from my Galaxy S4, usually leaves some margin on the volume slider. Maybe not enough for large EQ boosts on some tracks.
I can't really say for you, I don't know your devices, how you listen, or what music.

Stay out of my way, best all around headphones coming through

>2016
>still using closed cans

Why do you post HD650 for all around when you know damn well that 600 is better?

not this again.

Look theyre more similar than different. But you know deep down in your heart the HD650 is superior. They charge more for a reason. They have a little more bass which is what the HD600 is lacking in. I do think the 650 is more resolving at bringing out tiny details in music as well. The HD600 may be more neutral by a tad, sure, but also more boring sounding.

>dimmed treble
>mid bass hump
>superior

ayy lmao

>HD650 has clearer treble and extends higher than HD600 in both directions
>Mid bass gives you more power in kick drum and rhythm, I prefer this
>It is superior

Ayy Lmao? I guess we can see what kind of man children are buying the 600. Good one.

I have a really stupid question

So these takstar have a design that's good whether you decide to wear them normally or in reverse. as you can see the cable is on the right speaker.

However, is there any reason not to reverse channels and wear them in reverse if you find it annoying that the cable is on your left side?

Forgot pic related

And the fact that the cable is not on the right speaker but on the left one. God what is wrong with my life today

I was thinking of buying AKG K702s, but some people say that they are very thin-sounding and that they lack bass. Does anyone have any experience with them to confirm that if these are true?

cmon i need to order something today so i dont get it 4 days later

I have them. Their sound signature drastically changes according the seal on your head and if they're powered enough. If the seal is correct and you're listening to them at the right volume on a good amp, they're excellent and far from being bass-thin.

>HD 800
Punchy? It's got a broad bass boost. Most people seem to whine about the 6kHz treble peak instead.
>I'm trying to find an elear in the seattle area
Why don't you use Focal's website to help you do that?
This new product launch has been one big clusterfuck. Is the Elear even for sale yet?
The murmurs and rumors I've heard claim mid-August or so.

>because of their supposed super visceral punchy response
Elear looks kinda V-shaped.

>man it's hard to find a lot of the $1000+ headphones locally
Best Buy carries the HD800. They sell it higher than the typical market price on it, last I checked.

The bass boost isn't painful to bear, but the treble bores into your skull.

Like other headphones, if it has only a little bass boost and treble peaks, people focus on treble spikes instead. They aren't even that large.

K701 is not lacking bass, it's somewhat boosted. Maybe not enough.
Some people have mention sealing issues in these threads, this has limited applicability to the 701. It isn't particularly leak dependent, even if it more prone than some other open backed headphones.

>Elear looks kinda V-shaped.
get your eyes checked

Sup

I have the 600 and I also think it's better than the 650. I guess the 650 is a good option if you really need more bass.

See, were not all gay.

I want headphones in the $150 range that are comfortable, have decent quality, and durable enough to last a long time.

I was looking at these, Sennheiser HD 598. Would they fit the bill?

Slightly unrelated but what microphone would work well in tandem with those if I got them?

They're pretty good for the money.

I don't know the details but there's a tidy looking mic that people here use that you can stick anywhere on the cups of your headphone. I'm sure someone will mention it.

Question. How big of an upgrade is the Fidelio X2 to the HD 595/598? I'd like to know what am I getting if I step to the $200 realm.

They are literally the same fucking headphone with a slightly different driver, the HD650 has more bass. That is all.

Well, they have more bass and slightly less detail in the treble. Both are great, but the 600 is the better option for non nigga bass people.

HORRIBLE BUILD QUALITY
AVOID

Sup, man.
I'd get the HD558, it's much cheaper, offers about the same quality, same drivers and if you absolutelly need the same sound you can do the easely reversible foam mod (even though some people actually seem to preffer the HD558 stock sound).
For 150 bucks you can also go for the DT770 which is very durable and also very comfortable, but closed-back and v-shapped signature or the AD900X which is mid-centric/bright and extremely light.