Death of Radio?

What killed the radio? I hardly ever hear any new developments in radio technologies or people talking about what music they've heard on the radio, and there's almost 0 radio programs now other than music, its dead as a doorknob

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9G9Fi_OSFdw
opendigitalradio.org/
shoutcast.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is there any hope for the radio?

Video killed radio star

HD radio.

It's called podcasts grandpa, get with the times

It was already perfected with the Hacker radios made in the UK back in the 70s, there's nowhere else to go now. Even back then consumers gravitated to the cheapest possible portable radios so innovation died from no one wanting anything better except richfags.

riot on the radio.

the information superhighway

Sirius XM?

Radio has a given range for frequency, power and height. While repeater stations are used at a different frequency, the receivers don't perform handoffs. It's a poor technology for mobile as the scale of the antennas are orders of magnitude smaller than what even a modern automobile antenna can offer in gain. It makes much more sense to put the radio program onto a more pervasive medium--the internet--and use the superior cell networks to handle the physical broadcast layer.

There's still a lot of value in radio stations, especially illegally run ones promoting some new genres of music.

youtube.com/watch?v=9G9Fi_OSFdw

Yeah you could download a podcast but there's something about tapping into something live and intimate with a smaller audience that people still try to replicate to this day. I think the more people turn to the internet for everything the more people look for things off the beaten track like hidden radio stations for something new.

>I think the more people turn to the internet for everything the more people look for things off the beaten track

Sure, those people are generally known as hipsters. The first thing they do with those rare pepes is run and make a video about them on YT.

>I kid
>true iconoclasts are a good thing

because there's nothing else to do with it, op, radio is still huge here in England.

>Death of Radio?
It's not dead. Companies are constantly working on improving equipment designed to send and receive information via radio waves. You can now get a vehicle with one of those new fancy car botnets that can connect to the cell network and stream music by connecting to the botnet, and it can do so because it uses an incredibly advanced radio to send and receive that data. As for whether the traditional radio people think of in vehicles will ever receive an upgrade, it's unlikely as it would require updating all the radio stations and the radios in people's vehicles while the previously mentioned streaming over the cell network uses existing infrastructure.

Damn, that's beautiful.

Would love to get me one of those.

Does anyone on this fucking site know what a botnet is?

CD's, Internet... blabla

Radio killed radio.
>Same fucking songs over and over and over again (like 2 times an hour)
>So many commercials
>The presenters have 2 brain cells, because radio hosts are paid jack shit in Finland and anyone with any brain activity will do something else
I listened radio in my car but got fed up and now I transmit my own FM which I listen to.
I got to hand it to radio rock for nights. There are playlists playing and hardly any commercials.

I'm assuming you mean, specifically, broadcast radio. Broadcast FM and AM have been hindered mostly by improvements coming with hefty licensing, royalty and general capital expenditures. There are stations that broadcast digital and analog streams in tandem with one another. There are even digital stations on AM, right now, and with the proper receiver you could listen to them. Sounds great. Some people even find these on shortwave from time to time.

However, that's just it. You can't find the equipment because the licensing behind all these digital options is so stupid none of the broadcast companies want to use it. Additionally many of them have been purchased up by bigger conglomerates which shove specific formats down their throats. Private broadcast companies tend to have better local programming and more control over their time slots, including experimental programs to make things interesting.

Another note on tech: Many, but not all transmitters used these days are moving to solid state setups. However, many choose to remain with multi-phase tube amplifier systems because they don't break down as catastrophically as solid state systems do and will take more abuse. What has definitely improved is the array of processors that provides the feed for the transmitters, what with new digital options, fiber to site, etc.

But how else will I listen to the news in the car?

radio still exists today only because of cars

Another reason is EAS, which due to the stability of broadcast FM setups some stations are chosen as the primary source of information for other EAS-enabled stations to re-transmit.

Sites that have direct wireless links of some sort to the studio are especially useful for that purpose since internet connectivity won't necessarily prevent EAS data from reaching the transmitter and being broadcast out.

Why are statists so evil?

I just got a BRAND NEW GE Superadio II! In original box and everything. I was able to listen to AM stations over 1500 miles away and that's from here in town. Can't wait to take that sucker to the woods.

Many people think it's one of the finest AM DXing rigs available at any price. Has good sound too.

I am a ham radio dude too but when I was a little kid I'd AMDX on the family Superadio I.

Nigga how do you think your wifi works? Radio, son. They just replaced analog with digital.

Radio has yet to have it's finest hour.

Podcasts + radio stations that only play the same 15 songs over and over everyday and never have any interesting to litsen too.

Whats good is that pretty much anyone can have a radio station today and stream it live with an audio only stream link for very low bandwidth.

Thinking about buying a Wi-Fi radio even if I don't need one, anyone who know any that is nice and easy to set up with an app or something? Preferly chink.

depends what country you are in m8

make own fm radio station

I turned down the offer to buy a 50W FM transmitter a while back because it's illegal to own without the proper licenses and permissions.
Really starting to regret it.

been wanting to build a am broadcast band transmitter

It's called podcasting grandpa, get with the times

Thought you were describing America.

What killed radio for me is every fucking station being owned by the same 2 companies and all of them switching to the top 40 format.

Some of them don't even have real hosts, they're running on a loop between commercials, idents and pop music.

>What killed the radio?
Commercials and lack of control over what you can play.

It depends on where you live and which 'broadcast paradigm' your country has adopted.
The European paradigm of having Tax or Licence funded broadcasters ensures that there is plenty of non-music (as well as music) programming on the air.

The UK, Australia, Germany, France, Sweden, China, etc all have massive broadcasters (the BBC, the ABC, Deutschlandfunk, SR, etc) which are dedicated to actual radio programmes.

The BBC is probably the best IMO. Radio 4 is literally amazing.
Soap operas, dramas, sitcoms, panel shows, etc. It's like television on the radio.
Radio National in Australia is another pretty good station.
They have documentaries and other goodies.

In places like the US, there still is public radio, but it is a lot smaller because there is little money in radio that isn't WANK TOP40FM or KUNT CONSERVATIVE TALKBACK SPONSORED BY SWEATY PALMS RETIREMENT HOME.

>no new developments in radio

DAB+, the semi-open digital radio standard used in Europe, Australia and the UK is growing slowly.

But what makes it interesting is how there is now a completely free software SDR implementation of both reciever and transmitter.
opendigitalradio.org/

You can literally start an unlicenced DAB Mux (which can hold 5-10 digital radio stations) in European countries (incl au/uk) using the opendigitalradiotools set for like 2000 dollars and a few weeks worth of work.

It's amazing news if you live in a country where transmitter licencing is poorly enforced, or if you have a ship out at sea.

I've actually set one up for shits and giggles up to the point of transmission (so like, mixing, encoding, multiplexing) and it only took like a day's worth of work.
If I was to buy the SDR transmitter, it could theoretically have been a real broadcast.

Ham radio? Another ham on Sup Forums?! Holy shit!

>AM
>2016
>almost 2017

Make a FM one.

Half hour of ads after Evey two songs and long boring bullshit shows

shoutcast.com/

i would be saddened if i had nothing to listen to while at work.

Sony makes some nice ones. Not nearly as nice looking as those, but they're mostly well-designed and sometimes have neat features. With pic related, the tuning dial indicator turns and switches the scale with a nice heavy *chunk* when you switch bands. Sound quality is pretty good too.

>I hardly ever hear any new developments in radio technologies
Technologists rarely talk but I can assure you that development takes place.

Just look up "SDR" or "Software Defined Radio" and you will see some. Amateur radio is active, also much happens there.

As for broadcasting programmes, well, the lowest common denominator is low. Very low.

SKYKING SKYKING SKYKING
DISREGARD LAST TRANSMISSION
DO NOT REPLY

Hell no, drops out all the time. Even some trees can kill it. Sometimes it even drops out on the highway.

how do I start my own pirate station?

Radio won't go much further in North America.

They've adopted a proprietary digital standard (HD Radio), which means that all digital stations will require continual royalties to one company.

The European standard is already patent-free, with multiple free implementations for both broadcaster and reciever.

Unlike the European standard though, because it's coding is protected as a trade secret, its protection won't lapse like a patent until it is reverse engineered, which is a mamoth task, particularly in the US which is notoriously 'litegaton happy'.

Does most militaries use radio for communication?

What do they use?

>What killed the radio?

jews pandering to niggers in attempts to sell them something

see: online journalism is really advertisement

It's encrypted radio.

Might not be depending on what country he is in.