/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/b6gpb

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GNU_packages
gnu.org/manual/blurbs.html
libreboot.org/docs/install/x60tablet_unbrick.html
repo.archlinux.fr/$arch
aur.archlinux.org/package-query.git
aur.archlinux.org/yaourt.git
goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4556
twitter.com/AnonBabble

did any of you try refind instead of GRUB? how is it?

B U R G
U
R
G

get back there. I want a friendly thread, not your trollfest.
how does it compare to GRUB and refind?

Looks like mods are being faggots and deleted the other thread. You win this round, freetard.
>still calling me a troll
user, just because you don't like what somebody is doing does not make them a troll. I wouldn't be surprised if GNUless threads started getting started for autism research, you guys reach new levels of sperg every time I make one.

lol just got here but
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GNU_packages

Neat?

Thanks

MODS=GODS has been true ever since i first used the internet.
your input is not friendly and seems like you only do it to make the free software crowd and the open source crowd hate each other. this makes no sense. GNU/Linux is neutral, nobody asks you to call it just GNU.
and even if you don't use GNU (and i still doubt it because you never proved it) using just Linux in the OP doesn't make a lot of sense.
the more complete and detailed one is on gnu.org/manual/blurbs.html

Anyway...............
What's the deal with those DEs, huh?
Why are they all trying to be like Windows/OS X?
And why aren't you using a low-resource WM?
>inb4 GNU/Linux vs. Linux starts up again

Well, DEs are bundles of software that aim to be consistent with each other and share a few common things, if you don't have the time and experience to know what you want and do it they are a good choice.
dwm user here.

>wake up
>need to click through 2,1 threads
These threads have high speed lately.

That's mostly my fault. I've been shitposting like crazy for the last two days. The last 4 threads have been like 30% my posts.

>your input is not friendly
It was till the shitstains in the last thread started it. I simply created a new thread then I was getting insulted and called a troll.
>and seems like you only do it to make the free software crowd and the open source crowd hate each other
I do it because GNU/Linux is an unfair and inappropriate term.
>GNU/Linux is neutral
No it fucking isn't, are you daft? Linux would be the neutral term, you just call it what it's always been called.
>and i still doubt it because you never proved it
Nobody ever asked me to. I don't just go around proving things in case somebody asks for proof, you fucking dipshit.
>using just Linux in the OP doesn't make a lot of sense.
Yes it does, because to 99.99% of the people who know what Linux is knows it means Linux based operating systems. You know it too, you're just being a twat about it.

Hellooooo X60T.

Is there a retard friendly, /fglt/ approved step by step guide or infographic for double booting?

Oh, X61T given the license sticker.

Anyway...............
What's the deal with those WMs, huh?
Why are they all trying to be like special snowflake hacker interfaces?
And why aren't you using a low-resource DE?
>inb4 Arch vs. Debian starts up again

You're right, it's from here: libreboot.org/docs/install/x60tablet_unbrick.html

I was searching for libreboot tutorials. Seems it's a lot of work.

How do I batch rotate videos? I've got a folder of videos that need rotating clockwise, so far I know I want to do

ffmpeg -i in.mov -vf "transpose=1" out.mov

But this requires putting in the input name and output name of every file. Is there a way I can avoid this?

I was looking at it but am a nub so can't work out how to put it on a usb to try it out, also interested though

the debian install guide covers it nicely. but basically install windows, open the disk manager in windows, shrink the biggest partition you have by the amount you want for GNU/Linux, make an installer-usb using win32diskimager or cp/dd, start the installer, install GNU/Linux to the empty space, make sure grub is installed and configured. (grub because if you need help you should stick with the defaults)

You can do a for loop, I prefer using find. Have a example (replace with your settings):
find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*.flac' -exec bash -c 'f={}; ffmpeg -c:a libopus -b:a 192k -i "${f}" "${f%.*}.opus"' ';'

loop version

for i in *mov; do
ffmpeg -i "$i" -vf "transpose=1" "$i"_converted.mov
done

F5 F5 F5 F5 DID ANYONE RESPOND?
Better post a clarification in case they haven't seen it yet!

>trying not to waste this post since people seem to be getting pissed
So I've been using aircrack-ng to play with my horrible neighbor. Anyone have any idea which one of these is the most retarded wifi name, because he is the most tech-illiterate person there has ever been.
>uses iphone to play music through his boombox
>constantly hear message alerts while volume goes down for about 2 seconds.

Also guess my wifi name and I'll give you +1 internets.

Sorry but pretty new to this so I want to try and understand what I'm doing

For the first one you're basically specifying your files using 'find' to regular files in this folder of a certain file type. I don't quite understand the next bit, using the -exec bash -c tag followed by the part in quotes...

man exec

So i have just installed Arch for the first time, is there something that i need to install after installation? something important?

base-devel
yaourt or pacaur

>inb4 debian

>yaourt
i tried via repo.archlinux.fr/$arch
but i get errors

>repo.archlinux.fr/$arch
What?
Did you not install anything at all yet?
You need X.
You have pacman... right?
You have to choose a mirror.

sudo pacman -S yaourt

REALLY? No1 wants +1 internets, REALLY?

I'm baiting.

DE's (only) make sense if you're using GNU/Linux and have a life, or simply want a preconfigured Desktop.

WM's (only) make sense when you are in love with your computer, have no life, or you're using GNU/Linux for such a long time, that you already have your favorite programs and know how to configure your system yourself. At this point, the stuff a DE provides just feels useless (why having 2 terminals, 2 file managers, etc).
Maybe that's why WM desktops usually may look like used by a hacker, because the users are usually oldfags.

Then you can use a DE with a different WM combined, like KDE or GNOME with i3, because you're curious about other WMs, or you just like the look and feel of, as example, openbox while keeping your DE.

tl;dr All programs fill some needs of some people, there is no golden rule for "this is the best program" or "best way of using a computer".

>pacman.conf
[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

>sudo pacman -S yaourt
error: target not found: yaourt

Here this guy is always easy to follow and pretty explanatory. Just skip to wherever you are in the install (after you've made sure you didn't skip anything)
Should take you about 10 minutes to get up and running

oops no link
www.muktware.io/arch-linux-guiade-the-always-up-to-date-arch-linux-tutorial/
>listening to the guy who can't even ctrl+v

You need to update first

sudo pacman -Sy

Anyone else having problems with the new vbox 5.1.*?

Resizing is broken, and I've already seen a lot of bug reports about it, may be tied with the new QT gui, but the real problem for me is that 3d accel (on windows guests) doesn't work, programs that use it freeze and crash, and I've only seen a single ignored bugreport on the tracker.

I had to compile 5.0.26 (which works perfectly fine)

Also another problem, after the last update of nvidia drivers, whenever I login and start an X server, I get a black screen. If I switch to another tty and back it fixes itself, but it's an annoyance.

> -exec bash -c 'f={}; ffmpeg -c:a libopus -b:a 192k -i "${f}" "${f%.*}.opus"' ';'
- exec executes a command on every result find comes up with
- bash -c starts a shell, needed for this goodie here: "${f%.*}.opus" - it's a parameter expansion, which removes the old file extension so you don't end up with file.flac.opus
- f={} usually, when you use fine, the result is in the variable {}, which is redefined here, so you can use parameter expansion, a normal exec command with a normal variable looks like this:
find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*.flac' -exec echo {} ';'
this will simply echo every search result or
find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name '*.flac' -exec mv {} new_{} ';'
this will rename every result to new_result

sorry, I'm full of misinformation

git clone aur.archlinux.org/package-query.git
cd package-query
makepkg -si
cd ..
git clone aur.archlinux.org/yaourt.git
cd yaourt
makepkg -si
cd ..

>You need to update first
that is what im talking about, archlinux.fr is not working, i cant connect there, like url is wrong

follow spawnil's guide.
should be fine.
I can't remember the whole install process anymore

Someone should write a AUR wrapper for us Debian fags. Shouldn't be difficult, right? git clone, checkinstall, done Am I missing something?

Did you enable dhcpcd?

dependencies on debian sometimes have different package names, not that easy
just do it manually

is it really worth even writing one? there are so many packages in main i have a hard time finding stuff that is not in the repos or easily compilable. also

How do i check? Cant find command

sudo systemctl status dhcpcd.service

Cracking your neighbors wifi is
a) illegal
b) boring

Do something more complex, legal and useful. Here's an idea: Set up a local DNS spoof hosts file for your network, whitelist your own devices and route every other unknown device (someone who cracked YOUR wifi) to tips.fbi.

I didn't say I was cracking anything.
>inb4 tips.fbi ohnotoolate
Surely there's nothing wrong with sending deauth messages to random bssid's with random mac addresses
>it's 3am and he's blasting bass up through my spine again
He's doing illegal shit. I'm just learning how to scan available SSIDs.

● dhcpcd.service - dhcpcd on all interfaces
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dhcpcd.service; disabled; vendor pres
Active: inactive (dead)

Yeah it says disabled and inactive (dead).
That means its not enabled and not running.
systemctl start dhcpcd.service
systemctl enable dhcpcd.service
You should now have ethernet activity.
You can check with

still haven't figured out Sup Forums code tags
one more try...
ping -c 3 www.google.com

Have you tried:
sudo iw dev scan
Benefit: No need for monitor mode.

cool, I've just been exploring some tools is all.
Never really got into burpsuite or aircrack-ng or anything so I thought I'd lash out a little
Monitor mode definitely sucks cocks

I can ping without enabling it, im on wifi

>myths and memes: the post

>www.google.com
Why not say hello to rms?
nudge() {
ping -c 3 "${1:-stallman.org}"

The downside is: You only get APs, no devices connected to them.

+ }

>partial upgrades

The whole reply chain is just one idiotic thing after another.

Hey, I said I'm full of misinformation.
That's a legally valid disclaimer.
>sudo pacman -Syyu

>who is this guy knocking on my door all the time?

Also it's 3:30 and I've had bass blasting through my spine for 5.5 hrs
Let me drink and shitpost in peace.
At least my system is working

>3:30
Where do you life? Also: cheers.

West coast americuh-land

This is my neighbor.
goducks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4556
Gets away with whatever he wants apparently because he plays football

Not your personal army.

not looking for one.
Just realized he played football just 2 seconds ago

What aliases should I have in .bashrc?
I already have
alias dir='ls'
alias cls='clear'
Anything else useful or did I nail it?

you are retard

Trying to install xubuntu. Get this a few seconds after reaching the "try/install/etc" screen, every time.

What's the go?

>you are retard
>Me fail grammar? Unpossible.

GFX=fried

Nvm I'm retard, the USB I have the install media on is formatted as NTFS which caused this error.

>you are retard
>Me fail grammar? Unpossible
Jeбeм ти мaтep, пpвo нopмaлнo a oндa y пичкy. фyцк гooглe тpaнcлaтe битцх acc ниггa

Not technically an alias, but I can't live without
setxkbmap -option ctrl:nocaps

to change capslock into another control key. Much easier on the pinky.

May I ask why you chose Xubuntu?
It's not google translate's fault that you're overdependent on it.

bcuz it just werks™ and it's fairly lightweight

fair enough.

i'm not, i was just showing you that i'm not gamberuger and english is not my first language.

dear /fglt/,
i'm trying to install mint 18 cinnamon to escape windows but i'm too stupid to make it work

i downloaded the iso and burned it to dvd (i also tried booting from USB stick) and from what i've read i have to be booted from one of these first to install it to my hard drive partition.
However the boot (even in safe mode) does not complete and at some point i get stuck with a black screen. What do i do now?

Did you used Rufus?

What are you using to write the image to bootable media?
Rufus is the only tool I trust, just make sure it completes successfully, and if it jumps during install you know something went wrong.

>However the boot (even in safe mode) does not complete
Set your USB drive as the first device device to boot in your BIOS.

What's the best looking distro in your opinion?

So, I want to try one of these tiling wm that are all the cool kids are using
What are my options?
Is there a babby mode wm I should try first?
Are there good tutorials or should I just read the manpages?

Yeah, my bad. My system is UEFI even; just called it the BIOS for so long.

mine

For learning programing should I try out Linux?

>learning programing
what

You don't learn how to program by using Linux. That's like learning how to assemble a car by driving it.

deleted my post. BIOS is colloqial for motherboard firmware, a subset of firmware in general. I'm just like the GNU/Linux fanboys.

i'll try it now
used universal usb installer for usb and infrarecorder/windows context menu for cd
i hope it'll be as simple as that
it does start from the DVD/USB drive and i can choose between verifying the drive, OEM install, booting and booting in safe mode

none of the options however seemed to actually work (three different ISO files from different mirrors (official mint page DL, torrent and sourceforge) all seemed to have 5 corrupt files

Sorry not good at English. I was wondering if Linux is good for programming compared to windows?

Despite what these other grammar nazi's have said: the short answer is yes.
Try compiling C/C++ from Windows or OS X.
LLVM is a horrible piece of shit and Windows requires 200 lines just to spawn a window. And don't mention cygwin or someone will spit on you (not me, I prefer cygwin to anything but Linux itself)

anyone know of something i can use for mass conversion to mp3?

Lots of my files are flac and others which my phone and car stereo does not support