Ram speed doesn't matter they said

>ram speed doesn't matter they said

eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Other urls found in this thread:

techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sandy Bridge c u c k s can rot with their outdated 32nm inefficient planar CPU

Everyone else can enjoy power efficient, highest performance 14nm FINFET CPUs

According to that graph it also matters for skylake you aspie

I'm not knowledgeable about cpu but is sandybridge really that good? I'm about to get a thinkpad with one because I heard it was great.

>I'm not knowledgeable about cpu but is sandybridge really that good?

It was the last big leap in CPU performance we saw in a single generation.

Coupled with the fact that it's a great overclocker, better than many that came after it and yes it is/was really that good.

Performance upgrades since then have been marginal, 5-8% per generation clock for clock, energy efficiency has improved.

Sandy bridge is legendary because overclocked and paired with fast ram it can still duke it out with cpu's that came 4-5 years after it.

It's very rare for a cpu component to stay relevant that long.

Do keep in mind that CPU's in laptops are always less powerful than their desktop equivalents, because of the lack of active cooling they have to make them that way.

Let me guess you are one of those retards that runs a 6700k but a gtx 960 or something equivalent

Sup Forums wrong about something again
Why am I not surprised

>sandy bridge still holding strong

Fuck yeah

>listening to the retards on here
>ever

What gpu?

2500K was like 60$ more expensive than 3570K when it came out so i went with that instead. :^)

techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/

I got mine cheap as fuck 2nd hand.

CPU's will last 10 years easily unless people have run idiotic high voltages through them or some shit

>cas latency 19
sheeeeeiiittt

THERE
IS
NO
REASON
TO
UPGRADE

You do know actual latency is measured by frequency AND CAS timings.

When you have 4000MHz frequency CAS 19 is going to have quicker latency than DDR3 1600MHz CAS 9.

>tfw just bought these babies
>2x 8GB
>2133 mhz over my old 1333 mhz ram
>CAS latency only 9

What is the formula exactly?

I also heard that isn't entirely true and that some games benefit more from extra bandwidth while others benefit more from tight latency timings

>very rare for a cpu component to stay relevant for that long

Is there any precedent really?

I mean I knew 2500k was good when I bought it over 5 years ago, but this was/is ridiculous. When combined with the right gpu, it'll have good 2 years left playing AAA games on high settings. That is fucking absurd.

Divide your CAS by your frequency in MHz

So 9/1600 is 0.0056
19/4000 is 0.0047

So DDR4 4000MHz CAS 19 is not only MUCH higher bandwidth than DDR3 1600MHz CAS9, but it's got better latency too.

It's all because AMD's cpu's suck such horsecock.

There is no competition so Intel can milk the market.

Hopefuly that changes with Zen

Cool, so my
Have better latency

and judging from

2133 mhz will be enough to max out my single 980ti

You will have better latency than DDR4 4000MHz CAS19 but just barely. 0.0042 vs 0.0045.

But you will have significantly reduced bandwidth.

>2133 mhz will be enough to max out my single 980ti
Depends on the game. There are certainly some where you'll be held back, like The Witcher 3, which loves memory bandwidth.

I understand that, but as you can see from this pic extra bandwidth doesn't help a 980ti (which is my gpu) at 1440p over 2133 mhz.

And, to get DDR4 I'd have to scrap my whole system for a skylake one, which I'm not ready to do, these sticks will ofer a very nice bump over my old 1333 mhz set.

>hurr durr an upgraded CPU performs betters than a 5 year old CPU!
well i'll be danmed who woulda thunk it

CL timings can be extremely important dependant on task. hence why DDR2 was so fucking expensive for so long.

the people who needed good timings were being gauged by those asshole retailers.

thats going to depend entirely on the game, some games love more bandwidth.

You didn't actualy read the article did you?

It was more to show that a 2500k can still be remarkably powerful when paired with fast ram

Actual latency is your frequency divided by your CAS.

CAS 4 with 200MHz frequency would be shit compared to CAS18 and 3200MHz.

Yes like Witcher 3, which you said here
And in that screenshot Witcher 3 was tested.

You can see it doesn't really help, even in games that like extra bandwidth, unless you run something insane like sli 980ti's

Kind of ironic the 2500k was probably a big part why cpu development has stalled. It killed AMD and scared Intel corporate suits that in a few generations at that pace their r&d costs would bankrupt them. Their lucky break was AMD's Bulldozer disaster.

>CPU power is only used for gayming

not him

will 3200Mhz/18CL perform the same as 2666Mhz/15CL?

>gay-ming
Epic xD

Not in bandwidth related situations, it will in latencie dependant situations, or at least how I understand it

This is exactly why I never got into DDR overclocking, shits confusing.

I just got 2x16 gb of 2400MHz CL14 so 0.0058 nanosecond is it?

I wanted to get more than 2133MHz while staying at 1.2v and the best possible CL, but maybe I should have gone for 3600MHz CL17 and such at 1.35v?

I haven't bought RAM in a long time.

Read 'em and weep boi.

>660ti
Yup I called it

So what 660Ti is a pussy slayer. Waiting for Nvidia to come out with hardware async because they'll invariably do it better than AMD.

>tfw i5 6600 and 2133mhz ram

It's a pleb card, I don't know why you didn't get something better when you have the money to get a 6700k

>i5 2500k bought in 2011
>still havent overclocked

I cant even imagine things being any faster honestly. My computer is faster than a lot of others Ive used.

>buying a K cpu
>not overclocking it

You're throwing away free performance.

It will be faster when you OC it

It was, in its time. Somehow, it is still a good CPU (if you already have it), despite being obsolete as a purchase ~4 generations ago.

I'll probably upgrade to an i5 6600 in the fall and actually go for the high clocked memory instead of jewing out like usual; for now I've overclocked my 2500k to 4.5Ghz to hold me over (I actually fucking undervolted it and the OC is stable, go figure). When the time to upgrade comes, I'll pass this down to my poor mother who is still using my old Core2Duo e6750 with 4GB of DDR2 to play Facebook flash games.

explain further about voltages, i don't understand wtf you're one about

I said why, Nvidia doesn't have a hardware async offering. Nvidia will invariably do hardware async better than AMD so there's no point getting the 480.

That wasnt me not sure why you think it was

Why?

Because with a 660ti you obviously can't run new games on high/ultra settings.

Man you could pick up a used 970 dirt cheap and it would be a huge upgrade.

Why the fuck would you wait for async compute when it only matters for a handful of games that nobody plays anyway

Doesn't matter, the point still stands, you can see that even in games that like extra memory bandwidth, 2133 mhz is enough to max out a 980ti on 1440p

tfw gamers make me cringe at bar-graphs.

user stop lying to yourself. DDR4 is going to be better no matter how good your DDR3 is. Of course it's not worth it for you to upgrade JUST for DDR4. but don't pretend your DDR3 is just as good, it isn't.

So now it's not enough that I have to buy a powerful pricey K CPU, I now have to buy 4000MHz ram modules too.

Fuck yes, even more money wasted.

Show me a situation on 1440p where 2133 mhz, lower latency memory will not be enough for my 980ti and I will agree

No. Nehalem was the big leap and it was the predecessor to Sandy Bridge.

Why are you lying? Is it fun for you to lie?

>nehalem to sandy bridge wasn't a big leap

The graph you posted earlier is 2133mhz DDR4 NOT DDR3. Show me anywhere that DDR3 2133 performs that well

who the fuck said anything about ram speed not mattering for video games? memory access is THE thing slowing down any game not developed by idiots

Right, so that DDR4 will likely have even higher CAS latency than my DDR3 module, the only other difference being it will consume less power. My modules will perform even better.

Obviously in the long run as GPU's get more powerful, the higher bandwidth of DDR4 will be superior but right now, this is more than enough to feed my 980ti, as evidenced by the benchmarks we've seen.

>660Ti
brother
i've had mine since 2012, she's a beast

>as evidence by the benchmarks we've seen
I'd hardly call one or two games a definitive assessment of games and how they're effected by latency/bandwidth

But hey whatever makes you feel better about your outdated system.

I'm playing the long game my friend.

A weak i3 paired with good ram is better than a weak i7 with slow ram.

1 game is better evidence than zero games, what you are offering.

nigga i was looking at these TODAY. Should i?

Fuck I've really been gimping my system with 1333 mhz memory

What are you upgrading from, what resolution do you game at, what gpu/cpu do you use?

jews made Sup Forums this bad. people do this faggotry and think it's funny

Already have 8gb of 1600mhz ddr3 at 2133mhz on my i5 2500k that I bought 4 years ago for like $70.

Just because you fags just randomly choose RAM to buy and run it at stock speed instead of researching what chips are used and their capability, doesn't mean there's a reason to upgrade.

People on Sup Forums also don't bother setting timings or use the right memory slots. Cas11 single channel for max performance right guys?

You're just burrying your head in the sand pretending your RAM won't bottleneck you at all compared to DDR4 just because there haven't been enough properly documented testing to prove it.

Itd be nice if there were more thorough testing but you can't pretend it doesn't exist just because testing hasn't been done.

>the right memory slots

I have 4 slots, I was gonna use the two that do not conflict with my cpu cooler because of heatspreaders.

How do I know which ones I should use?

>You're just burrying your head in the sand pretending your RAM won't bottleneck you at all compared to DDR4 just because there haven't been enough properly documented testing to prove it.

It has been tested, in a bandwidth hungry game, at 1440p with my GPU, and anything above 2133 mhz was useless in that test.

I'll take that as evidence over your baseless claim, trying to justify your purchase of DDR4 with huge CAS latencies

In a single bandwidth heavy game. Well thank the Lord all games utilize bandwidth in the same manner and there couldn't possibly exist a game that could take advantage of more bandwidth.

Thank you for enlightening me

your ram sticks shouldn't be adjacent, at least that's how it works on 90+% of mobos.
check your mobo manual for "dual channel configuration" or something

Well thanks for the heads up, looks like I need to put my ram in alternating slots, would not have thought about that otherwise.

How do I check if dual channel mode is properly enabled?

>huge CAS latencies
You're saying that like CAS is independent from frequency. A low CAS or high CAS is meaningless without also knowing the frequency.

Chill the fuck out already, why are you so fucking bent on 'hurrr muh DDR4 sticks are so much better'.

I haven't seen any evidence to show my rig benefits from faster memory, and I already said I'm not gonna scrap my whole system just for DDR4.

Seeing as the tests that have been done so far suggest 2133 mhz is fine, and will be a big upgrade over my 1333 mhz setup I'm content with that

bios, cpu-z, any kind of cpu/memory info software

As I said earlier if you'd bother to comprehend what I've been typing, you have no reason to upgrade to DDR4, nor should you. BUT you're having a giggle if you think DDR4 wouldn't be better and give better FPS in certain situations.

So would it be worth upgrading the memory on my z68 board from pc1600 to pc2133?

Got an i5 2400 + 380 4gb btw

>you have no reason to upgrade to DDR4
Exactly
>BUT you're having a giggle if you think DDR4 wouldn't be better and give better FPS in certain situations.

Yes and I've seen those certain situations, when running 980ti sli's, or some other extreme setup that requires a shitton of bandwidth.

I'm not running such a setup.

The correct ones differ motherboard to motherboard. Sometimes slot 1/2 and 3/4, sometimes 1/3 and 2/4. Should be color coded, use same color and check with a program.

Signal wise, the best slots are the pair closest to the CPU. Heat wise it's further pair. It doesn't matter much.

Speccy or cpu-z or whatever can tell you if you're using single channel or not. I see people using single channel with 8gb or 16gb RAM all the time in speccy threads.

If I was you I would be directing my money towards a better gpu, you will see a bigger improvement

No, your GPU is the bottleneck, upgrade that first.

You'd see a slight improvement in minimum FPS. But you'd see bigger gains from a new GPU

ddr4 3200 with the average 13~15 Cas actually have lower latency than ddr3.

And then there's the obvious bandwidth difference.

x99 imc can hit 3200 easily and skylake does 3800 with a few tweaks, up to 4200.

Yes, DDR4 is better, the question is, do you benefit from all that bandwidth?

Awesome, thanks, I looked it up, all slots are colored the same but I need to use alternate slots.

I never would have guessed so thanks for mentioning it.

>Signal wise, the best slots are the pair closest to the CPU. Heat wise it's further pair. It doesn't matter much.

Shit why do you need to make it more complicated, care to elaborate?

Generally it will improve the minimum FPS and make your framerates more consistent even if it doesn't improve peak FPS

ddr4 is better so I guess I do benefit

2500k is rated for 1333 mhz, any danger in running it with 2133 mhz?

In what situation?

Zen = meme and it will only make AMD more MAD with debt

It poses a danger to the quality of threads when you inevitably shitposts about sandyvag like all the other faggots

try overvolting and getting 5ghz?

In situations where ddr4 is objectively better than ddr3

So you don't know any concrete situation?

ddr4 better than ddr3 isn't concrete?

Dodging the question leads me to believe you have no clue about what you actualy purchased and whether or not you personaly benefit from it with what you use it for