Nodejs. Love it? Hate it? Use it?

Nodejs. Love it? Hate it? Use it?

Been working with Node for around a year now, my team might be switching to Golang.

Just wanted to know you're opinion on Node.

Other urls found in this thread:

rubyonrails.org/
redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004
github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25640
github.com/blog/2039-adopting-the-open-code-of-conduct
todogroup.org/opencodeofconduct/
theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>finally get way to dev everything in js
>switch to go
Now why would you do that...

My company is now making a big push to write EVERYTHING in node. I think I performed Django and python, but they want to have "cross platform" for Web and mobile. So node and Cordova it is. All hail javascript, your new overlord

I tried node.js.
Really wanted something simple, ended with a clusterfuck.

On the opposite golang is so clean.

Because golang isn't js.

i nearly fucking died when that kid cracked the shits and removed his left-pad-a-string "library" and it broke the entire nodejs universe

shit is the embodiment of bay area startup cancer, every cunt and his macbook wants to have a "library" to his name so they're publishing the dumbest, most trivial shit and every other faggot laps it up

allowing webfags to involve themselves with things they shouldn't (backend, desktop, mobile) is a terrible idea

tl;dr i really don't like node.js

>i nearly fucking died when that kid cracked the shits and removed his left-pad-a-string "library" and it broke the entire nodejs universe
This. Webshits are terrible and need to be kept away from everything in general.

Amazing performance considering what it is. I really like the callbacks too, they force you to write asynchronously. The ecosystem and standard library are pretty awful though. I like Express.

Node.js is cancer.

rubyonrails.org/

Ours is the opposite. We were doing golang but we are now in the process of maybe switching to nodejs.

Did your team get memed by the shiftless Google employees on Hacker News?

I used node.js to make a webrtc signaling server for my master's thesis.

>Callback hell
>Library hell
>Someone removes a function from library

>Entire fucking application doesn't work.

Welcome to Js.

>Rails

Literally a framework made by social justice warriors, built with a language used by social justice warriors

While I really don't like the creator of Rails he's not a SJW by any means..

Also it's kinda unfair the Ruby team (which are cool guys) for the shit discussions with SJWs they had.

It's pretty much impossible to create a new langauge without some b*tches trying to rage about wordings and inventing a stupid "code of conduct", just see i.e. Rust..

Just look at the people using Rails....

A lot of them are SJW.

>redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004

Yes but if the fucking retards went with node they knew what was coming and only good reason to use it would be to have one language for front and back end.

Now they just look like retards who jump to the next hipster thing to do.

My web applications are 90% client side and 10% server side.
So I might as well use Node.js for simplicity and to re-use some "client" code on the server.

What are you guys doing that is so server heavy?

If you read the whole thread (I knew it before) you'll find that this cunt gets also a lot of flak.

I think it's pretty cool how Matsu reacted, they got their stupid CoC, but it's not the "hurr, muh womyn manifesto!!" they intended.

Also my point still stands, all modern langauges have this kind of attention whoring.

They tried it at Rust:
>github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25640

Thery tried it at GitHub:
>github.com/blog/2039-adopting-the-open-code-of-conduct
>todogroup.org/opencodeofconduct/

you should have never learned node

you'll wish you never learned node after web assembly 1.0's

The fat arch guy is also in the "n" in the node logo. I suppose arch and node are both equally shitty and thats the kind of person it attracts...

> kid cracked the shits and removed his left-pad-a-string "library" and it broke the entire nodejs universe
sauce ?

I find it interesting. It's actually more than just a web dev tool, but freetards here can't comprehend.

You don't have to use it for a website. You can do pretty much anything with it, use it as a local server, run scripts with it, use its package manager, etc. There are many ways of using Node, which is not limited to website stuff.

It's kind of an interesting paradigm. It links an OS to a console, it has I/O operations bindings, it implements the newest version of JS which adds some interesting features, it has a gorillion of modules for pretty much anything.

So, overall, I think it's useful to know Node, even if it's probably useful only for very particular types of backends, with don't need much computation.

Heck, you can create a chat app in Node using Electron, so you can also do some kind of desktop "apps" that work on any platform.

Node itself is great, the community as a whole and especially most well known members of it are cancer.

I don't like JavaScript's standard library. I wish JS had a type system that would warn me when I mis-spell something or call the wrong method.

Typescript on node is pretty good, I guess, especially since Typescript 2, which has non-nullable types. I'm into that.

>How one developer just broke Node, Babel and thousands of projects in 11 lines of JavaScript
>theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/

thanks user-san

The point stands, Ruby is an SJW technology and anyone using it is certain to be SJW