BSD

What are the Pros and Cons of each OS? How good is the amount of packages? I want it to install on a X220 any recommends?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits
freebsd.org/doc/handbook/security-resourcelimits.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FreeBSD has tons of packages and can run some linux exclusive stuff though a compatibility layer(which you have to enable).

OpenBSD doesn't have as many packages but the main focus on OpenBSD is security, and correctness. Misbehaving software will generally just crash on OpenBSD so the selection of software is going to be smaller but there's still thousands of packages in the repos.

Try either and see what works for you OpenBSD supports Thinkpads pretty well as long as they don't have Nvidia graphics

Is there anything that BSD does better than linux?

Code quality
ZFS
Jails
Not being a sloppy mess of bullshit slapped together like a mud castle.

inspiring shill threads on chinese cartoon boards.

Security that is about it

Haha nice guys:D

i think 1 and 4 are the same reason.. ZFS is a point. but you need to explain Jails...

BSD Jails are worse than linux container (lxc)
Atleast, linux container support freeze (suspend), resume and live migration.

>i think 1 and 4 are the same reason.

Not really. Code quality is strictly enforced in BSD-land. Especially so in OpenBSD.

This is different from the userspace ecosystem. BSD develops that mostly all in unison. Linux attempts to put together a bunch of different packages from different organizations.

Not that guy but Jails are basically an alternate userland that runs with fewer privileges than the main one.

You designate a directory on the filesystem as the root directory of the jail and essentially run an entire other instance of the OS inside that directory much like you can do with chroot. Unlike with chroot though the jail is completely locked down by the kernel, you cannot simply become root and the go up one level to escape the jail the OS will tell the jail that there's nothing there so it has no idea if its running as a jail or if its running as the main userland. A jail also has its own root user and you can even create unprivileged user accounts but none of these accounts can see what is going on in the outside world. The non-jailed userland can see *into* the jail however. You can copy stuff into it much like you can with any other directory.

Jails are a very useful security feature.

And if something using 100% CPU, memory or disk I/O inside Jails, it will brought down the whole server to crawl.

OTOH, lxc have user defined memory, cpu an i/o limit, so no matter how bad container misbehave, host'll run fine.

I love how OpenBSD comes with best windows manager CWM. Isn't OpenBSD getting it's own version of FreeBSD jails soon?

I completely forgot to mention that you can also limit how much resources a jail can use.

wiki.freebsd.org/JailResourceLimits

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/security-resourcelimits.html

I see.
Oh well, it's still missing the disk i/o limitter.

You can set disk quotas as well, it should work for jailed directories same as any other directory but another option is to make a separate disklabel partition for the jail's root directory.

Bhyve

No, disk quotas are for reserving space.
I/O (rate) limit values are defined in bytes per seconds.
No process could read/write from the disk exceeding that speed limit.
It's to avoid any process hogging HDD/SSD/SATA/SAS at max bandwidth.

Oh I misunderstood you mean limiting read/writes, that I'm not sure about. I haven't seen anything anywhere about it.

>Bhyve
That one is a hosted hypervisor, similar to VirtualBox or linux kvm.
lxc similar to jails, like a sandbox.
No need to boot another kernels.

Use a separate ZFS dataset for the jail root and limit I/O within the filesystem

Alongside the other benefits mentioned, BSDs are much simpler and classic Unix implementations. Less magic and fewer idiosyncrasies (e.g. no systemd).

>getting it's own version
eventually it always does

>Isn't OpenBSD getting it's own version of FreeBSD jails soon?
Not that I'm aware of. It is getting a hypervisor analogous to KVM and Bhyve called vmd/vmm though.

How do I make a bootable usb with freebsd on it? I have the iso file and a 32 gb flash drive. I'm on Windows 8.1. What do?

>Linux attempts to put together a bunch of different packages from different organizations.

So true. But Debian really does a great job.

>cuck license vs. cuck license
lads...

Just switch to Linux already

Don't most of the OpenBSD devs use X220's or am I wrong?

Well meme'd my memeing friend.

i feel so fucking crippled when i use a linux distro that doesn't have cwm

>BSD Jails are worse than linux container (lxc)
no, jails are clearly superior to lxc's

jails are virtually zero cost, but do the same thing. it's elegance

well freebsd is more desktop friendly than openbsd, openbsd only has access to 2 desktop environments in the main repositories (gnome 3 and xfeces) where as freebsd can run most others (mate, cinnamon, lxde etc). openbsd has way better security and far fewer bugs though and is really good as a firewall/router os. both of them are pretty good for server use too.

That was actually put me off FreeBSD the last time I tried it, the init system seemed really dated (I couldn't work out how to start multiple daemons synchronously, so startup took ages)