Cheap hosting scam?

Anyone ever used a Contabo VPS? Is it legit? 6/12G RAM for 7/9 euro looks too cheap, it feels like a scam.
contabo.com/

Never heard of them. Give it a try OP

Thank you for your work. 0.01 BTC was sent to your account.

100 Mbit/s bandwidth is one reason. Most VPS providers offer 1-2 Gbps for all VPSes.

I think the bandwidth is shared for most of the popular vps providers.

Do you realize how much money that is? You'd be giving blowjobs to strangers with a smile in your face for that money kid. Stupid summerfag.

I've used their dedicated servers and their VPSes.
One of my buddies dedicated server's hard drives died on him and Contabo did not replace the hard drives and continued to bill him.
Another one of my friends was billed for a server that he never bought.
They're great, but their support sucks ass and make *SURE* you don't allow have them authorized on your Paypal account, and do not pay with credit card.
I use them for seedboxes since they ignore DMCA.

Not all of us are dirt poor, Rajish. 6€isn't really very much if you live in a civilized country.

Also I forgot to mention that while I've had this feedback about them from my friends, I have never experienced any issues with them myself.

They do not have DDoS protection, and they will also nullroute your IP if it gets attacked for more than 60 seconds which is standard practice but may be something new for people who are coming from OVH for example.

Scam? No, but you get what you pay for.

I wonder how can they give you a Windows Server VPS with 12GB RAM for 14€/m

Easy.
They buy off-lease out of warranty servers.

For example, I bought a 1U HP ProLiant DL360 G6 with 72GB RAM and 2x Intel Xeon L5520s for $120.

At their rates, I'd make 93.84 per month from this server assuming I don't over sell.
I'd make my money back on the second month.

>his hobby isn't sucking dicks for cents using the excuse that the financial crisis has hit you hard

I guess I should just constantly backup my shit from their servers and I am safe then.

They aren't stupid, they use RAID. Your VPS won't randomly go offline or have any failures that will ever affect you since there is redundancy.

My buddies dedicated server on the other hand was not configured with RAID, that's his own fault and not Contabos.

>lease used servers
Would it be possible to offer seedboxes on these if i add redundancy ? Isn't this kind of not clean to offer services from used hardware (asume hard drives are new) ?

And you think this provider doesn't?

Any hardware from any datacenter is used.
Just because they weren't the ones who contracted with the OEM doesn't mean the server isn't good.
Motherboards, CPUs, RAM, and PSUs don't go bad if used in a good environment.
Most servers have dual redundant power supplies, too.
On top of that I am pretty sure the hard drives are new as well.

Redundancy is already done by Contabo in regards to storage, which is standard practice for any VPS company. Most if not all VPS companies use RAID1 at the very least and are notified immediately if hardware fails to replace it.
Most of the hardware can be replaced while the server is running except for CPUs and RAM and other core parts that aren't prone to failing.

Oops meant to quote this comment.

The important part is not that it's used hardware because that really does not matter, but the fact that it is out of warranty meaning Contabo gets no support for the machines by the OEM and they must replace all of the parts themselves out of pocket if they do fail.

Thanks for the answer. I was thinking about to offer some online services (seedboxes, wordpress... but on my own hardware) to have some income as a student. This idea sounds risky if shit goes down. Do you have any experience in that field ?

On your own hardware, or a rented dedicated server/VPS?
If your own hardware, are you colocating it in a datacenter or otherwise hosting it in an improper environment?

No, this is shared as well, I think.

> no paypal
> no credit card
Bitcoins aside, what other options are there?

Going rented first to test the waters. Not sure about colocating, there is probably a data center near me. Of course i won't put a rack into my basement or small room. But if there is no center i'll have to create my own location.

Contact Contabo about that, not me.

Using a cheap VPS like Contabo would be fine for these purposes. There's really no risk involved here except for the risk that you won't make any money from your endeavors, but business is not my forte.

Do not host in a "your own location" because you probably don't have good enough internet. 100Mbit down AND up is the bare minimum for any hosting.
On top of that you probably can't provide a good uptime.
An extension to that is that you probably don't have multiple power sources which are also expected for any hosting business.
An extension to that is that you also probably don't have multiple internet uplinks from different ISPs, also expected.
These are all things that datacenters almost *ALL* have, but would cost you thousands if not millions of dollars to do.

Of course you could be a cock and host people's stuff on your own shit tier internet and power.

Thanks for the answer. I already understood that hosting in my room is a stupid idea.

>Sucking dicks for cents.
>Not letting hobos gangbang you for a cigar every friday night at the park.

I paid for a 12€ hosting, after the paypal payment all I get is an email saying that after one to three days, they will complete the setup and send me an email with the data.