Display Tablets

What does /g know about display tablets? I'm looking at some different tablets right now (both the Wacom 22HD and the Yiynova mvp22u (v3)) for getting back into environment design and for use with ZBrush sculpting.
The reviews for the Yiynova alternative are all pretty good but there's no way to tell if they're just paid Chinese shills.
Wacom is crazy expensive for what it is though. They seem to be the Apple of tablets; you pay for the name, not the device.
The main thing putting me off on the Yiynova is the display cable is directly soldered into the device.
What do you all think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6EK2PVzt_Wk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i don't know what display tablets do.

noted.

nothing, i prefer this kind by far.

I have a super old bamboo but the disconnect between what I'm drawing on and what I'm looking at is super disorienting to me even years after using it regularly.
I wound up just binning it a couple years ago and haven't had time to get back into art.
I also need a second monitor since the one I had took a shit so that's a secondary bonus with the display tablet.

Display tablets are annoying as fuck because youll constantly be checking the colors with your actual monitor

Just get a regular tab desu senpai

Why wouldn't you have calibrated your monitor and tablet?

About to pull the trigger on the Yiynova mvp22u.
Here's hoping the shills can be trusted and it's not actually a big steaming pile of shit.

Been there done that, if you're going to get a non Wacom, at least get something with EMR like the Bravod TM-19.

Fucking Yiynova has god awful color accuracy, and even worse color shift, even using a colormeter you can only get it to barely tolerable. The battery makes the pen top heavy too, but you'll only notice that if you've used Wacoms.

ACCU Super Painting 22 uses EMR and is 1080P

youtube.com/watch?v=6EK2PVzt_Wk

I have the 22HD. I'm a video editor & motion graphics artist which means I don't use it as in-depth as others would, I use it mostly for sketching out storyboards in PS that become animatics, and making basic tweaks to shit I get from graphic designers because they usually don't know how to prepare their work for animation properly.

I'm slowly venturing deeper into 3D and that's when it'll get heavier use in sculpting and texture work.

Anyway, aside from a couple bugs, it's pretty fuckin' rad. It's on all the time as my main monitor. The color gamut isn't the highest-end you can go (the 24HD has a wider gamut if you need pinpoint high bit-depth color accuracy) ... honestly irrelevant unless you're doing huge national/international projects, everyone else doesn't know the fucking difference, and wouldn't get it if you tried to show them. At all.

The screen feels really great to draw on.

Cons:
-The buttons are unlabeled and with no lights, have to hit the button that displays what I set them to semi-frequently until I'm "in the zone."

-There's a backlight bleed in the corners which is only really noticeable when the screen is all-black (booting), but that's kinda lame for a $2k display.

-Sometimes the touch/pen will just stop working, I gotta turn the monitor off & on and it's back. This seems to only happen when I haven't been using touch/draw for a long time so I encounter it RIGHT when I go to draw sometimes.

-I've had the custom buttons go blank and not be bound to anything, guessing firmware/driver thing.

You calibrate all of your displays, genius. Commonly with a little X-Rite or Spyder sensor. If you're working in creative visuals you should be doing this anyway every month (at minimum, some people calibrate daily) to counter the natural aging of the displays.

IPS glow and some bleeding is a problem with almost all IPS displays.

I wish I could afford a 27QHD that thing is a beast.

Yeah, I'm not trippin' about it. Eventually I'm gonna replace the monitor on the right with a dedicated, self-calibrating color grading monitor. One of the pricey ones, like $3-8k range. Then that'll be my beast for squaring away color.

I shoulda got one, but instead got an intuos Art Medium. It lacks an eraser, but not that bad overall.

>EMR
I'm not sure what that is as the only results coming up on google is Electronic Medical Record and I can't read Mandarin.
From what I've read, old Yiynova models were absolute trash and, as you say, had horrendous color accuracy among other issues. People are saying version 3 of the mvp22u fixes all of these issues though.

I really don't need super ultra wide color gamuts for the stuff I'm doing. I'm just creating concepts and sculpts for molds to make resin casts for figures along with some asset work for levels in some really old game engines as a hobby.
Having to turn the monitor on/off sounds like a major annoyance. Do you know if this is an issue with all of the 22HDs? If not, have you tried getting it replaced by Wacom?
I'm ok with unlabeled buttons - I don't look at any of my keys to begin with and go by texture mainly. Kind of falls apart when I'm wearing gloves though.
Are you using your 22HD with Windows? If so, have you tried using it with Windows 10?

The off/on thing really isn't a "major annoyance" at all, since it never happens when I'm actually drawing. It's just sometimes when I first go to draw. So I just take the pen and wave it in front of the screen to check before I start drawing. It's a "bummer" but doesn't get me pissed off or anything. I don't know if it's a common problem, like I said it doesn't bother me much, so I haven't researched it.

Yeah, I'm on Windows 10.

This picture arouses me.

EMR is electro-magnetic resonance. Which means battery-less pen, used by Wacom and Wacom clones.

V3 Yiynovas don't fix the issues, they are just less noticeable compared to the older versions.

Lots of artists blogging about their 27QHD on twitter and other places. It's the holy grail to have.

Wacom is essentially all there is.
Excluding them, all you have are no-name ripoffs.
It's because they're a disgusting, monopolizing company that has no real intention of pushing innovation. A few years ago, Microsoft shafted them for N-Trig because Wacom wouldn't get their shit together and make their digitizer bezels smaller.

They're allowed to do this because of their patents. If you've noticed, all Wacom Penabled PC tablets are shit (except for the Microsoft Surface, which is exceptional Wacom or not), because those can technically compete directly with their Cintiq line.

Essentially, if you wanted a Cintiq but couldn't afford one, I would buy a Microsoft Surface, because of how exceptional its digitizer, pen, and drivers are. It's still quite expensive though.

Those leg rest so you can put your legs on top of the desk while masturbating

hnnnnnnnnng

and how you prevent scratches, i already scratched my cintiq 13 4 times already

Would be a shame if you scratched it with a sharp nib

Yeah, it's the holy grail... just make sure you got room for it - 27" plus the fat border space. That's part of the reason I got the 22HD, wanted to save a little space on my desk, hoped to have room to get some Avid Artist controllers for editing/mixing/grading.

As you can see in the pic that's pretty much a nope unless I do a little clever reorganizing. The left area is for the client to chill with their laptop/script/whatever. The right area occumulates over time with my random bullshit, my phone, wallet, drinks, hard drives and cards people bring over, etc.

So I mean, size is a thing.

I have a couple surface tablets which were given to me at a trade show a couple years back. They're dog shit though and I keep them on a shelf in my closet.
Plus they don't work as a second monitor.

Believe me or not, Thinkpad tablets work great for drawing. My problems with them are fan noise, screen size, surface gets hot.

I'm looking into wacom cintiq 13hd now, but read some bad reviews about it. So, I'm not sure...

First gen?
The only legitimate complaint I can see people making about the tablets in general is the input lag when you write too fast, and nothing can really prevent that.

Surface Pro 2 I think.
Hate the pen. Really really dislike Windows 8. Hate the ultra glossy screen.

>Surface Pro 2
Hell, that's even Wacom.
>Windows 8
Well what can you do.
>ultra glossy
All touch screens are ultra glossy but whatever.

I suppose it wouldn't kill a manufacturer to think of adding those reflection minimizing coatings that you find on wristwatch glass domes.

Adobe Max, by any chance? My friend got one there and it's been collecting dust for ages.

There's nothing wrong with them except the gian cable that sticks out on the side, if you bump it or hit you will fuck it up for good

I kind of want to try grabbing a 9.7in lcd panel that they used in ipads and rigging it to my intuos large to make a ghetto cintiq. Some guy did it with an older intuos and it would only cost ~150$ to do it.

You can't ever completely disable windows 10 telemetry.
Microsoft is actively pushing towards making this ever harder to do as well - see the recent group policy change for example.
Even if you yourself are not concerned about the data collection, you still expose information about your friends and family via Microsoft's aggressive surveillance methods.
You should not use, support or endorse this operating system.

The spyware has been backported to Windows 7 and 8.1 as well.
You can much more easily remove it though - all it takes is uninstalling the related updates.
You can find out which via a quick google search for 'telemetry updates for windows 7 and 8.1', and then hiding them in Windows Update.
Don't forget to check for these every month or so, as Microsoft can push out new updates anytime that can reinstall the spyware.

any kind of coating will rub off or scratch when you run a pen on it repeatedly resulting in people complaining even more.

Wacom had a textured paper feel coating on the Intuos 4 at the beginning but people complained about it wearing off repeatedly so Wacom did away with it.

>even wacom
What do you mean?
It's got fuck all for pressure sensitivity which is really important to me and something I really notice a difference in.
Pen tilt is something that would be nice to have but I can live without...
>what can you do
I use Windows 7. A display tablet such as a wacom, yiynova, or whatever that is simply a peripheral runs on top of whatever OS I have installed. I wouldn't even be considering a Wacom if it shipped with its own OS and couldn't be used with other systems.
>all touch screens are ultra glossy
The cintiqs have matte screens from what I'm reading.

I know. I use Windows 7 still. My work is trying to make me upgrade to Windows 10 but I told them to eat my ass.
Work is recompiling all of the programs I've written on Windows 10 using the new C++ runtime libraries that ship with Visual Studio 2015 even though the production version of the programs run solely on debian systems and I originally developed them on debian using clang to compile them. VS 2015 has been found to just ninja-insert telemetry code into binaries it compiles.

They make screen protectors for it, there's rumor or a tempered glass one too but I couldn't find it.

POSRUS makes antiglare screen protectors.

I mean that the Surface Pro 2 is Wacom Penabled. Wacom is known for gimping PC tablets, but not the Surface, since they can't actually get away with gimping it to the same degree as other PC tablets. It's still odd though, the Surface should have pen tilt.

I tried it on my friend's Surface Pro 3, which used N-Trig. Really the only difference should have been the active digitizer, which makes the pen fat.

maybe I'll wind up hating the cintiq too then if you're saying the surface pro is basically a cintiq.
...shit. Why does life have to be so hard

Anyone have any experience regarding the xp pen 22 hd or huion gt-220 cintiq clones?
They are practically the same display , and they are around ~ 550$

I'm sure you can gain access and try out a Cintiq by going to your local university.
They occasionally have them in the most unusual places, if you can't access the ones in the art studios.

There's a Cintiq 27" in my university's newest science building lecture hall.

Every experience ive had with a non wacom tablet/pen has been shit in comparison - accuracy, pens and batteries/wires, calibration problems(drivers), pen drawing before it touches the surface and drawing upto the edges.
It's expensive but get a wacom. They are pretty hard wearing so getting a second hand one ain't so bad.
(if your going to get a second hand last gen wacom monitor, ask to check the pen if nibs need replacing and check the visual cable isn't vent/fucked. (my 13HD visual cable always felt a bit loose/wonky, always had never paranoid)

*always had me paranoid
Sorry phone posting

I guess this is as good a time as any to get a credit card then instead of just ripping $2k out of my account. I normally pay in full for everything so that I only make purchases when I can afford to do so but a 2k spike is a little hard to swallow.

Bright blacks, prone to subpixel errors, uneven backlight, massive cursor misalignment towards the edges regardless of how well you calibrate it.

- Sent from my Wacom Cintiq 13 HD

Surface Pro 1 and 2 are neutered Wacoms, only 1024 pressure vs the 2048 on the cintiq, Surface 3 and 4 are NTRIG.

1024 pressure neutered wacoms don't have pen tilt.

They aren't cintiq clones if they aren't EMR batteryless, only alternatives.

That's the problem with IPS, you get good color accuracy, but IPS glow and the problems that come with it with black backgrounds.

That new incoming samshit tablet better have AMOLED screen now that it also is confirmed to have the s pen

Android is shit for real drawing though.