Gtx 1060 or Amd rx 480?

Yo, i dont know which one i should buy. I need it for streaming. The 1060 has more power, but if i want to upgrade in future i cant go for sli/crossfire.
Which one would u take?

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta/5
wccftech.com/async-shaders-give-amd-big-advantage-dx12-performance-oxide-games/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not price range

if you've money : 1060

FOSS drivers.

I'd probably get a 1060. rx480 is better in some games, but it draws more power and is worse at pretty much every dx11 game

I like amd, but amd has nothing as good as shadowplay for streaming. Get the 1060

Nvidia is good for streaming, but if the rumors are true then DX12 will make AMD godly for multi-GPU.

>implying plays.tv is any worse or better than shadowplay

Shadowplay is not a valid reason to buy/not buy any brand over another.

>i cant go for sli/crossfire.
Nothing of value was lost.

>Which one would u take?

Amd is like a kebab rotisserie, hot. But will keep going and just get better as it keeps going drivers get better as time goes on. Nvidia is like the 5 star restaurant main dish. Looks really good, tastes good. But won't keep for very long, it will be gimped very quickly.
If you were to look at benchmarks for 780ti vs 7970 now you would see the 7970 be faster and compatible with newer games.

>gimped
AMDrone detected. Bias necessitates opinion being trashed.

This board needs more AMD fans.

I'm biased am i? Stating facts makes me bias?

>Stating facts makes me bias?
Fact? Then I expect you can provide a citation that supports this claim of "facts?" Though I expect the best you can do is support your biased opinion with more biased opinion.

>async
>dx12
>vulkan
>the future
easy

I hope this computer is in a low earthquake zone.

>SLI/CF
>ever
No op. You always get the single strongest card. SLI / CFon high-mid cards is bad, SLI / CF in mid range is even worse. Not to mention you may never see any benefit whatsoever as SLI / CF always sucks dick. Don't ever fall for the meme.

Get the 1060.

anandtech.com/show/10067/ashes-of-the-singularity-revisited-beta/5

Here you go.

I'm looking but I don't see anything that states there is "gimping" involved. What passage in specific are you citing? Or am I free to conclude you're just linking some random page?

Are you keeping the card for more than a year and intend on playing new games?
RX 480

Only want to play older games?
gtx 1060

They each have their pros and cons

the 1060 is superior for DX11 games, and the 480 can go right up your ass if you're a faggot ass AMD cuck

Amd drivers being so shit that two years after a card comes out they have managed to make it work 20% better than at release /= nvidia gimps their drivers for older models.

The worst part about this is the HD 7970 was a GTX 680 competitor.

Regretting giving my brother my 7970 and upgrading to a 780ti.

Never again Nvidia.

wccftech.com/async-shaders-give-amd-big-advantage-dx12-performance-oxide-games/

Put the money into savings.

GTX 1080 fag here.

Get a 1070.

The 1060 isn't very powerful and doesn't have dx12 support.
It doesn't matter with the 1070/80 because they are so damn fast.

But the 1060 is a bit overpriced

I think you should give me your 1080, you don't seem to be knowledgeable enough about computers to use it.

Horseshit
My old 780ti still kicked the shit out of r9 390s.

Ur 7970 isn't faster
I owned a 7970 after all

>The 1060 . . . doesn't have dx12 support.
Source?

>doesn't have dx12 support
pretty sure it does or else it wouldn't run a dx12 game at all. it's the same thing with early dx11 cards like the gtx 460 having shitty performance in dx11 games.

>780ti beats a 390
>what.jpg

0/7 ign
Try again

He probably didn't upgrade to the latest i7 processor, so AMD GPU was bottlenecked by the asynchronous compute taking 99% of CPU performance.

Every dx12 and Vulkan game disables Async when it detects a Nvidia card.

Nvidia has Zero support with pascal.

???

>Every dx12 and Vulkan game disables Async when it detects a Nvidia card.
I'm supposed to believe the word of a complete stranger on the internet, let alone a complete stranger on the internet posting on Sup Forums?

Are you truly this stupid to believe anyone is going to believe you without a source? Well, there are AMDrones. . .

Dx12 wasn't really a thing when I sold my 7970.
That 780ti came stock with a 1,236mhz boost clock

Also, a 2600K at 5.1ghz isn't a bottleneck even for my 1080 as my benchmarks are identical to 6700k/1080 numbers.

No one cares about DX12 anyway, since DX12 implies you are on Windows 10, and if you're on Windows 10, well, it might be time for some torches and pitchforks to come out.

Vulkan is great, but it will be years before Vulkan really takes over. All the shit worth playing right now works just fine on DX11 or OpenGL.

AMD cards do not equal nvidia cards. Nvidia cards run fine on shit processors like yours.

DX11 games, 1080-1440p, gameworks backed games, short update cycles (1-2 1/2 years)? = 1060

DX12/Vulkan games, 1080-1440p maybe even some 2160 due to 2 extragb, medium update cycle (2-4 years)? = 480

Im in the same dilema, will probably end up buying the 480 because is $100 usd cheaper than the 1060 where i live, i dont care about DX12/Vulkan until 2 more generations and by that time Nvidia will maybe have Volta with their Async hardware fixed and AMD with better TDP due to a better hardware scheduler on their async hardware.

Yes, this is an unbiased, unshilled comment.

Why do you dislike windows 10? Should I have 8?

True dis.
It brute forces at anything now. 1070 only gets overtaken by Fury X in Doom and AotS and these 2 games indicate the future. If small Vega is a more efficient Fury X at a lower price than 1070 then we have winner in our hands.

7 or bust my friend. When it becomes impossible to use 7 anymore, it's time to move to Linux.

If 480 is 100 dollars cheaper you'd be retarded not to buy it. Assuming you're not talking about the trash reference model.

DX12 has no games

Get a 1080

>14% better in DX11
>20 - 30% more money
The cards will be equal in DX12 games.

Correct

>single strongest card
Sounds like you know understand the price/performance metric

1070 is a good card, as is the 1060. 480 is also a good card. 1080 is a ridiculous purchase

No.

No, im talking about the Nitro pre-orders.

Reference 480 is $270 usd
Nitro costs $293 usd

Zotac 1060 cost $384usd
Strixx is $393 usd.
Gigabyte is $375 usd.

1070 costs $700 usd.
1080 costs $854 usd.

rx 460

not OP

but where i live the 1060 cost about 270-300€ while a 1070 cost 450-500€

i guess OP (as iam) just dont want or cant pay that amount

It's ultimately down to price. You can listen to everyone blab on about muh performance and muh business ethics but if one card is 50 euro, dollar, pound etc then the cheapest one is the obvious choice. In America I think the 480 is slightly cheaper but in europe and especially the uk where I am the 1060 is slightly cheaper by about 10%. The cheapest board partner 1060 is £230 whereas the cheapest board partner 480 is £250. I would NEVER recommend getting a reference card unless it's like £100 cheaper than everything else. If it's only £20/30 less than an aib then get the aib instead, it's a worthy investment.

I ordered a Gigabyte 1060 from Newegg when sales opened, but it went out of stock right as I was making my order, so here I sit waiting for them to get more and ship me my card. The prices went up to an outrageous degree, so I'm glad I locked in at $250. If they attempt to cancel my order, I'll probably get a 480 and send Newegg a very insulting email, then send another one to Nvidia about how they need to rein in their distributors or risk losing customers.

1060 is way faster and by far the best value at $249.

Those prices are totally wrong

pic related

post link

Those were the prices on opening day. These are the prices today.

You can't ever completely disable windows 10 telemetry.
Microsoft is actively pushing towards making this ever harder to do as well - see the recent group policy change for example.
Even if you yourself are not concerned about the data collection, you still expose information about your friends and family via Microsoft's aggressive surveillance methods.
You should not use, support or endorse this operating system.

The spyware has been backported to Windows 7 and 8.1 as well.
You can much more easily remove it though - all it takes is uninstalling the related updates.
You can find out which via a quick google search for 'telemetry updates for windows 7 and 8.1', and then hiding them in Windows Update.
Don't forget to check for these every month or so, as Microsoft can push out new updates anytime that can reinstall the spyware.