PC building thread

Let's have a PC building thread since all other related threads are just AMD vs. Nvidia memes.

What do you think about my first draft? I'll admit that I don't know much about current PC hardware, this is more or less adapted from Logical Increments.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/bMtskT
pcpartpicker.com/list/vcXZf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/vFJwVY
pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/
pcpartpicker.com/list/gpZvWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/r7B4nn
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Buy a cheaper cpu and buy a better gpu

The 1070 is almost 200€ more expensive though, I don't wanna spend more that 1k in total.

You dont have to get a 1070 you can get an older gpus or even amd one.

How much is the CPU overhead of AMD?

Im thinking of getting rx 480 but only going to buy a i5 6600

how much difference is the difference between i5 6600 + rx480 against a i7 6700k + rx480?

So I've had this build for a while but now I desperately need an upgrade. Can't even play the latest games with this. All I want is to play all the latest games at 1080p 60 fps. What would you guys recommend? Been thinking about getting a 480

Rate me.
Aim is for no SATA, minimal case cabling, and VR readiness in conjunction with racing simulators in a small form factor.

Why would you get a Z board without a K CPU?

>BOTNET 10
>Also your Blu-Ray drive is SATA

Should be a negligible difference. The driver overhead is only apparenapwith mid-low end CPUs or lower.

I've been wanting to build a new PC for about 5 months now but I can't decide on a case. Literally the only thing holding me back. I guess I'm too autistic in my wants.

Well fuck. Forgot about the goddam Blu-Ray.
Ill just load the OS via usb then.

If you intend on OC, why not just 6400 instead and save couple bucks

thanks gonna get sapphire next month

pcpartpicker.com/list/bMtskT

how I do guys? I'm probably gonna build it soon

Who /priceperformance/ here?
pcpartpicker.com/list/vcXZf8

pcpartpicker.com/list/vFJwVY is this a decent build? Should I change something?

>150$ powersupply
>32gb ram at minimum speed

Older ones are weaker than the 1060 though.

Because I don't know anything about motherboards. What's the difference?

>Because I don't know anything

pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170---What-is-the-Difference-635/

in other words, if you dont overclock you would buy either H170 or H110

>dont need fucking 620W PSU, take 500W, or 550W if u put like 100LEDs on it
>Asus h170 pro gaming mb is a bit cheaper/ dont need z board
>16gb ram? 8gb is enough but u have to decide what you do
>i5 6500 is 20€ cheaper still good
>ekl ben nevis 20€ is 15€ cheaper

Total (after mail-in rebates): 795 US DOLLARS

I think this is the best I am going to do for price and performance. Had to switch some items because they fuck with windows 7 a bit

Need the 480 to come back in stock though.

i think this is decent

I feel like I could do better than this if I better understood what makes a good NAS box.

new to building

how does this look? I need a motherboard too, any good ones to choose from? and if the parts aren't good, what would you replace them with? i'd like to keep the cost around 1k or lower if possible.

Buy a used 8350 for that AM3+ socket and an RX470. Will be decent for DX11, beast in DX12.

Get something with dust filters

gg

r8

Don't buy a SeaGate. EVER.

They have a horrible track record of failing drives.

Hell, I finished my system about a month ago and the drive already has shit write speeds (around 10MB/s on average)

Buy a WD so you don't regret it down the line.

I never really had any problems with my seagate hdd because i made sure to read the reviews it had. People have to start reading reviews of stuff before they buy it.

At least wait a few days for the RX470. Better than 380 for less moolah

Get an SSD, and wait on that 950 until it drops further in price or get the 3GB Pascal card

i7 isn't worth it unless you do encoding or something or you just really want to try to future proof.

Fury isn't worth it unless you're at 4K

It was either the fury, rx 480 or gtx 1060 at this price range. Since the fury was on sale for $300(+20 tax) I went ahead and bought it since it tends to beat the rx 480/1060 in most benchmarks. Also i'll be playing at 1440p.

Forgot to add that im talking about the AIB 1060/480 not the reference one.

Tech reviews?

Personal reviews?

Most tech sites were favorable about it.

As for reviews from customers it seemed to get 4/5 rating average on most sites

I just upgraded my PC and installed Windows. Graphics drivers wouldn't install. Thought it might be because I need Windows updates first.

Windows "checking for updates" didn't work while I was out for 5 hours. Please help.

I actually do a lot of video editing / encoding, which is mainly why I choose the i7. But I also plan to do a lot of gaming / streaming.

How would you say the build is?

It's my first build. It's gone through a lot of revisions but I feel pretty good about what I have picked out. Would still very much appreciate advice though.

Current price is $1340 without rebate and code by the way.

get a ~500 watt psu
you dont need that much

Getting a lower PSU seems to be the only advice I ever get so I probably will do that, but does that mean there's no real complaints with the rest of the build.

I also tend to get
>corsair PSU
but people never elaborate beyond that.

what will you use it for?
get i5 instead, and maaaybe a better gpu if you do gaymen

any other comments to this build, and suggestions for a mobo? the i7 is needed for video editing / encoding, but not sure if the other parts I have are too expensive and shitty compared to other parts

what's wrong with the GPU? from the benchmarks I saw the 1060 was up there as a top card. of course the 1070 was better, but I was hoping to spend only $300 or so on a video card

machine will be used for encoding / video editing, streaming, and pc gayming

okay about the cpu then
okay about gpu too
just get an average mobo around 100$

werd

I'm planning on getting a ssd later, I have to buy it within the next 2 weeks so, waiting is not an option

what about potential SLI in the future?

I went ahead and bought my case first after having the same situation. It's a Phanteks P400S going around for 79 euro. I can assure you that you'll like the build quality and features, for it is mostly toolless and has noise cancelling foam.

There were 3 or 4 things I didn't like about that case. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is the non open front.

here's my current setup

not totally new, just the one I've been upgrading for the last however many years.

Get i5-6400
Get B150 mobo, you dont need Z170.

Get GTX1070.

Very well then, where would I get a 470?

Interesting proposal, but won't having a slower processor hurt performance?

idiots buying i7 or generaly k versions
if you dont render or have intense shit and just gayming then enjoy your money wasting buying this expensive stuff

Maybe they do motion graphics? Maybe they want to maximize gaming performance? Maybe they're not poor and don't give a fuck? Maybe they have a small cock and they buy big components for their epeen?

Who really gives a flying fuck how other ppl spend their money?

Pea sized drop and smush or spread with credit card??

I bought a 6700k and a 1070 to play WoW and csgo so yeah, Who cares what other people do.

OP you'd be better off buying a K processor and a 1060. CPU's won't be gaining much performance for another few years and the 1060 is a good card for 1080/1440p.

Switched things around a bit to cut on unnecessary costs, thoughts? Is it necessary to get an aftermarket cooler or can I use the stock one?

I'm going for an all white build, and I'll most likely switch to an aftermarket gpu with better fans that is hopefully white or gray. Anything that should be replaced?

>founders edition
Lmao

I see that this thread isn't uptodate.

Get i5 6400 the get a z170 mobo. And do a bit of search and update your BIOS. Then over clock that shit upto 4.5 GHz and enjoy it.

Go Mini-ITX, Nano S. mATX is a waste of space if you are going to use no drives and 1 gpu.

6600 isn't worth buy 6500 you also have a z170 which is for oc so

Any difference between the 6700 and 6700k if you're not going to overclock?

Are the stock speeds between the two the exact same?

Bot can over clock with a z170 mobo. Oc-ing nonk CPU require BIOS update

Better off having it and not needing it then to needing it and not having it.

Not sure how to lower the price from here.

Not sure how to lower the price from here. Keeping the i7 for video editing. Is 550W PSU fine for this?

Craigslist/eBay that desktop isntead.. You'll find a much decent comp for under $100.

Not 100% sold on this build, I still have some wiggle room in my budget. But I'll prolly order sometime this weekend. For web browsing/email and light gaming like solitaire.

pcpartpicker.com/list/gpZvWX

>pcpartpicker.com/list/gpZvWX
Are you actually serious? 22k for gaming?

>win 10 32 bit

Stopped reading there

anidees AI8 ATX Full Tower Gaming Computer Case

case i like, it just looks good, any problems?
pcpartpicker.com/list/r7B4nn

AMD driver is single threaded, so as long as you can get really good single thread performance you're fine. Like if you overclock the i5 6600 to 4.5GHz, you'll get the performance that hardware reviewers do, since they usually use i7 6700k at 4.5GHz.

Buy used. All the parts in there are trash.

Thoughts?

I've settled on these parts to replace my ancient Optiplex 745.

FX 8350
Gigabyte 990FX Gamng
32GB Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB 1866mhz
1TB WD10EZEX 7200rpm
Cooler Master 212 Evo
Rosewill Challenger case
Corsair CX750 psu

I'm reusing my HD7750 card for now, everything would cost $673 dollars.

anyone?

Looks good.

If I were buying a 1080 rn I'd buy EVGA in case 1080ti launches for step up. But unlikely in that time frame anyway.

I have that keyboard too and love it. Case too. And PSU.

550w PSu is plenty for that rig, $1089 is about right for an intel rig, those things aint cheap unless you go AMD.

Do you need an optical drive?

And is it just a video editing PC or is it also for gaming?

Any other opinions on this build or is the overkill PSU the only gripe?

Got a spare optical drive. And it's for editing as well as gaming / streaming.

>am3+
are you getting it for dirt cheap or for free at least?

what res are you at? 1070 probably better, but if can't fit in budget now you could go evga 1060 so you can step up to 1070 if you ever wanted to. (within the next 3 months I think it is).

at 1080p 1060 should be alright for mostly everything tho. I think.

and what do you do that uses an optical drive? can install OS from flash drives easily now.

Stock cooler is just fine. I'd recommend the 480 over the 1060 because it performs better in DX12/vulkan.

>$170 gaming keyboard

wew lad

I'm getting a high end gigabyte one, things looks pretty sweet, and it's way cheaper than a 6700k and will be a massive boost in speed, I wont bottleneck the card while running GTA V and that's more than I can ask for.

1920 x 1080p res right now.

budget is a little tight so thats why I went with the 1060, but I'll get the evga version over MSI

I never actually use the optical drive anymore, just a habit of connecting one to my desktop

-200$ because I found the parts cheaper. I'm thinking the cooler and case are overkill

just looked up at step up is 90 days, so if you don't see any way you'd upgrade in that time period it doesn't really matter.

at 1080p the 1060 should be really good except for the demanding titles at ultra and shit. If you had a 1070 you'd prolly just render game at high res and downsample to improve quality.

I wouldn't worry about going bigger than 1060 until you've upgraded your monitor. Just my .02

I'll tell you the hard truth, AMD fx 8350 would lose to i3 in most case scenario. Gaming/browsing/etc

Only time the 8350 would win might be when you're using video encoding, then it might be tiny bit faster.

If you want performance/price, go for i5 6400. It's around 170 USD. Then get a good compatible z170 mobo that allows OC on non-k CPU. You might have to download and flash the BIOS to do that.

Even without overclocking, the 6400 would be better than an overclocked 8350, guaranteed.

Need my advice, as it's good for you.

Cooler is actually one of the better things in your build, and Fractal makes great cases.

Forgot pic

>video encoding
I'm a big Vegas pro user, the 8350 and 32 gigs for RAM previewing 1080p would be perfect, it's my ideal system at a bargin price.

>non overclockable cpu
>z series mainboard

why are people this deluded...

I5 6400 + 3000 MHz ddr4

It will smoke 8350 and 1866 mhz RAM.

RAM speed is a huge boon for video encoding

Your build is even worse
>AMD
>ASRock mobo
>WD BLUE hard drive
>Phanteks case
>1000W PSU when you're not using even half that

It is better, but I am on a really tight budget and it will smoke the Q6600 I'm on.

Because z170 mobo can over clock nonK cpus.