There's absolutely nothing wrong with globbing on thermal paste and letting it drip over the side of the CPU

There's absolutely nothing wrong with globbing on thermal paste and letting it drip over the side of the CPU.
Applying autismally tiny beads of thermal paste only reduces the heatsink's ability to conduct heat.

Why do people get so autistic about thermal paste?
Is it because it's the only part of the computer building process that they have any control over?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kvxoGy4_kmk
usnews.com/news/articles/2015/11/03/canada-is-the-freest-nation-in-the-world-legatum-study-says
youtube.com/watch?v=IZkzxWZETds
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good luck with thermal paste that conducts energy as well as heat.

It makes cleaning it easier when you want to reapply.

Too much thermal paste actually insulate the heat instead of transferring it to the heatsink.

You realize heat is energy, right? Please take basic science courses

Some thermal paste conducts electricity which will be an issue if you spill.

>buying electrically conductive material to spread on sensitive electronics

kys

you actually don't even need the shitty paste, after a few months it dries out and does nothing for cooling unless you live in a humid climate

Only if you use shit paste.

Because thermal paste is not only thermally conductive, it's also electrically conductive. Having your paste ooze all over the chipset and onto your motherboard is a defs nono

Although there is non-electrically conductive TP out there.

You haven't done this very much, have you.

>Because thermal paste is not only thermally conductive, it's also electrically conductive
entirely depends on the paste. paste with bits of silver is. ceramic or silicone-based paste isn't.

still, it's tidier to have just enough paste to cover the heatsink without much spillage

>Why do people get so autistic about thermal paste?
why are you so autistic about neatness? do you never wash the cumstains off your bed, clothes and face?

When to smear: Naked die
When to use rice corn size: IHS over die

/Thread

I recently took apart my machine with a 4790K in it and the MX-4 I applied almost two years prior was still as gooey as the day it was applied. Don't buy shit paste.

You can't /thread your own post, newfag.

>newfag.
Irony.

"people"

lurking this thread as a physics grad student is pure torture
what the fuck guys read a book instead of playing video games

Books are for nerds you fucking nerd.

so is Sup Forums

>There's absolutely nothing wrong with globbing on thermal paste and letting it drip over the side of the CPU.
Yes there is. Please end your stupid life and do us all a favor.

don't use gifted thermal paste, it's actually cum

BAIT THREAD EVERYONE!
THANKS FOR TAKING THE BAIT!

I just use the small pea in the center method. It just werks. If your method just werks too, use it. But to me, globbing it all over the place like you haven't yet mastered how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is the true autism.

ideally you want as little as necessary on there and not one molecule more. the heatsink contact is usually mirror-polished and and cpu lid is not. thermal paste conducts heat better than air, so you want to use it to fill the tiny microscopic imperfections on the cpu lid to allow it to make perfect contact with the heatsink. while thermal paste conducts heat better than air, it conducts heat worse than direct contact, so you don't want to glob it on and have your heatsink sitting on thermal paste rather than cpu heat spreader.

thanks

How do i apply thermal paste to these? a line?

I really hope you died in the past two hours

Two small peas equidistant from each other and the edges of the die.

kek

Theirs a gallium blend that cones in a syringe, you use the needle to spread via surface tension, lust leave a 1.5-2.5mm boarder for when you put the heat spreader back on.

Note* don't use gallium if toy're applying the heat sink directly to the die.

>There's absolutely nothing wrong with globbing on thermal paste and letting it drip over the side of the CPU.
It's a bitch to clean up, and if it gets inside the CPU socket then you might as well throw the mobo in the trash.
>Applying autismally tiny beads of thermal paste only reduces the heatsink's ability to conduct heat.
There only needs to be a thin layer covering the part of the IHS directly over the die. Covering the entire IHS is pointless and does little to improve heat transfer, as well as possibly resulting in insulation if too much paste is used because it isn't super conductive in the first place.

This is all assuming that you're using a nonconductive paste, which many people are not doing because metal conducts heat well and conductive pastes like AS5 are very popular.

I'm an apple technician
I put a small amount of the apple generic paste on my mid tier mbr 2015, and observed. Then I put in a liberal amount, and observed.
Generally:
smaller amount of paste got hot faster, but had a lower base temperature, and cooled down slower after processor intense events.

larger amounts had a high base temperature, but I found in my case, was able to bring down the temperature slightly faster.

base temperature in this case being 75-100 F for small amount, 85-115 F generous paste
processor heavy event being a game, lots of tabs and streaming, etc

>applying the heat sink directly to the die
That's a mobile CPU, more specifically 2720qm so yeah.

My thinkpad has been slowly turning really hot over the course of this year.
Should I replace the thermal paste?
I've read about temps actually being worse after replacing the stock paste.

Yes. Often they over use paste as a means of planned obsolescence, it'll seep out all over your shit.

Open up and have a look. you'll find either too much, or it's dry.

What do you meen seep?
They'll use too much and it shorts out your shit?

I'm kinda squeamish about opening up my thinkpad, this specific model (X200) requires me to take everything out and take the motherboard out because the CPU and heat pipe is upside down.

Also, how can I be sure it's the thermal paste that requires replacing?
The fan output is really hot, so surely the heatpipe must still be working?

>They'll use too much and it shorts out your shit?
yes.
>I'm kinda squeamish about opening up my thinkpad, this specific model (X200) requires me to take everything out and take the motherboard out because the CPU and heat pipe is upside down.

A Thinkpad is usually fine, But I dare say if you haven't done it in a repaste from the time it was new, the paste will be dry.
>The fan output is really hot, so surely the heatpipe must still be working

Just because it's outputting heat, that doesn't mean it's working correctly.
Heat will vent form where it can.

I say just do it, You have to learn sometime, unless you'll be trapped into a cycle of buying shit just because you're afraid to loosen a few screws.
If it's a problem now, try to fix it while you still can. Because not doing so will just make it more likely to break later on causing you to spend another $300, to replace it, rather than $5 for a tube of goo.

>buying electricity-conducting thermal paste

you really are a nigger

I did literally this a month ago. Pastes was dried up and super crusty. Improved temps by ~10 C afterwards.

>10C

So does that mean your cpu is now cooler than room temperature now?

i'm doing 123F right now

youtube.com/watch?v=kvxoGy4_kmk

nutella is basically just nougat flavoured thermal paste right?

It means it went from idling at 50 C to idling at 40 C.

>123F
>F
haha

>using Communism degrees
>not using glorious Freedom degrees

stay cucked euros

>euros
Not even close.

>using a temperature scale loosely based off of the temperature of some guys' girlfriend's armpit
or
>using a temperature based precisely on the freezing and boiling points of the earth's most commonly found substance at sea level (water)

which one seems more scientific and logical?

>euroNEETs are this jellymad that Fahrenheit had a gf while they are still khv at 30

Kelvin desu, even celcius is retarded.

Im canadian, and I've probably banged more girls than you've ever talked to.

oh also, usnews.com/news/articles/2015/11/03/canada-is-the-freest-nation-in-the-world-legatum-study-says

Sure it may be a little colder here, but that's a small price to pay for all this freedom

stay mad

a bb or booger size glob is thew correct amount. the chip itself is nowhere near the size of the heat spreader. as long as it reaches almost to the edge it's fine and may be thinner allowing almost metal to metal contact. faggot.

>DUDE WEED LMAO

Lurking this thread and as a former scientist from r/Science. You are an idiot

Just got to this thread and of course there is a fucking retard Canadian

I didn't think it was possible for this board to get any worse.

What if you're applying it right to the die and not a heat spreader?

then you install gentoo

>gallium

Doesnt it react with aluminum? You trolling?

youtube.com/watch?v=IZkzxWZETds

Seems kind of edgy to use it near a bunch of aluminium components.

>put small pea sized in middle of a 3470
>decide to change motherboards
>paste managed to spread all over the cpu die anyway
If you have to use more than that amount and still get shit temps, then you didn't mount the heatsink properly. Doesn't matter how pro you think you are.

Yes.
>Seems kind of edgy to use it near a bunch of aluminium components.

Near, not on.

Seems kind of edgy to use it near a bunch of aluminium components.

I've not used it yet. Once I'be burned in my 8350, I'll be de lidding it, and using it under the heat spreader.
(by burned in, I mean. Made sure it's not gonna crap out on me soon. Because returning a delidded cpu is impossible)

Their's a few reviews on youtube. you can get around 5c cooler, even more on some botched cpu's where the heat spreader wan't placed on correctly. (but that's just because it's not making full contact from factory)

5c aint much, but it's more headroom.

You got a degree in shitposting.

Sauce? Why is this allowed?