What are home servers used for?

What are home servers used for?
What do you use them for?

I use mine to store video games, movies and music I pirate, then stream it to the HTPC in my living room.

>video games

kill yourself and get the fuck out

Sup Forums ->

>ztop laikin wut i dont liek!! plz!!1
fuck off faggot if he likes video games what the fuck is your problem

Sup Forums needs more posts like this

I host a Plex server for my media. Does anyone know of any better alternatives that are 100% free? I like how Plex works on my smart TV, ps4 and phone but I hate how I'm expected to pay just to download my own fucking files

I'm moving Exchange, Sharepoint, and Lync back on-prem from Office 365.

So that's what I use mine for...

>disregarding an entire medium of entertainment because of some association to something you don't like that's basically just a contrived internet meme

Go be an insufferable neckbeard somewhere else

this looks really comfy

>tfw no CRTs and Plasma displays with the original green and orange phosphors
>tfw no attic, especially wooden

I use mine for
* plex
* owncloud
* plexrequests
* plexpy
* windows server for visual studio (I use Linux as main os)
* adblocking dns
* a couple of small websites
That's all I can remember now

Everything.

1. Centralised storage/backup
2. Torrent server
3. PLEX
4. Diskless systems

I used to use one ot host a website, but I found that opening the images in a seperate tab would reveal the websites ip address rather than use the domain name and wasn't willing to have such shoddy craftsmenship to my name so I took it down

- Local DNS with pogo blacklist
- BT
- FTP and mail for me and my friends
- VPN for when i'm at a public wlan
- storing my music, movies and backups in an encrypted but easily accessible spot
- ZNC for shitposting

I used to use mine as a mail server to conduct my work-related and personal business. I didn't really have any clue how it worked and didn't install security software, though. I had some sensitive stuff on it and the people I work for got pissed so I shut it down.

Haven't used a home server since. I figured that it's just not worth the trouble.

wat

Everything.
plex, owncloud, plexrequests, plexpy, auto updating adblocking dns for auto adblock for every device that connects to my network, torrent server, a couple of sites, nas server, media server, emulation station a backup computer vs vs as the same time

Webserver and fileserver for my laptop for me. Laptop only has a 120GB SSD, so I can't store my music and stuff on it.

I use my file server to store Chinese cartoons.

Reason #1 you don't need a home server.

Why not just use your HTPC to store files?

Reason #2 you don't need a home server.

Exchange Sharepoint and Lync at home? Go kill yourself microfag.

Reason #3 you don't need a home server.

What the fuck m8, your IP is revealed from an A record lookup anyways. If its using the direct IP to embed your images, you're a shitty web guy and are actually probably not a guy if I think about it.

who /hillary/ here?

dev branch, dev branch and maybe the dev branch

>Go kill yourself microfag.
Maybe, but I'm taking you with me, and it will be very slow and very painful...

Reason #4 you don't need a home server.

At home? What are your whole family programmers? Why store dev branch on central server and not your workstation? Faggot

get out more

you are a creepy one paj

>you are a creepy one
Everyone's gotta have a hobby.

Only legit home server use is if you have a shit computer and you can't run a hypervisor on it and need to practice for work.

Because I'm self employed and hate remote servers for personal reasons and my workstation is the home server.

gmmm

emby

>thinks the only use for home servers is video games
lol

shit/10 bait

I used mine as a seedbox

File server, VPN, Emby, TS3, Subsonic, rtorrent + rutorrent, safe(r) data storage with RAID

That's pretty much it, but it's incredibly useful for me.

I generally use mine as a NAS, torrent server and experimental sandbox. It's only a raspi with some storage attached so it's not a big deal

cringe

You tell 'em, tough guy

What's BT?

Remote access.

But it doesn't protect you from your ISP, does it?

cinema: sound + image
video game: sound + image + interaction

inb4 you are using raspberry as your password

I can access and stream my many GBs of lolicon material right to my phone/laptop while in the shitter.

Ctrl+F ssh

no ssh

SSH

NFS requires SSH already

Use mine for the following:
DNS
DHCP
VPN
FTP
WEB (Internal)
Media Streaming
Centralized file storage
Storing backups of my portable computers.

Server itself is backed up to a NAS. Server also runs MS Security Essentials and I've got the Windows Firewall and my Router's ports locked down to just what I need open. The VPN login uses a special user account which if in the unlikely event was hacked, the hacker couldn't do anything, ie, delete files, cause I've got it locked down as well.

Bitlbee
I defeat NAT with tor hidden services.

>- BT
bitTorrent?

Hosting a shit plain HTML website/public software archive
Accessing my email and notes from anywhere/anything
Slowlaris experimentation
Dick-waving uptime in blog threads like it means anything

Aha, guess so. Thanks

so I never learn about this htpc,nas,fileserver, whatever stuff.

Now, I want to build something that would allow me to seed stuff 24/7, store my media, access it from my pc and phone laptop, connect it to my tv to watch movies and be as low power as possible.
What do I need?

Attitude x effort x ability

question your motive; ask yourself that question instead of having someone decide what you should do

No. My ISP is Comcast and they have never said anything yet I torrent on iPT. I mostly use it so I don't have to have it on my desktop

Do raspberry pis count? Because I've got cluster of them doing my backups, streaming and all sorts.

How much power do rasp pies consume?

>he doesn't use kerberos

It's like you don't want to share files with your VAX

This. gaymen manchildren should die.

Go back to your containment board, Sup Forums is and has always been Sup Forumsaming.

No, Sup Forums is for Sup Forumsijutsu, Sup Forums is for Sup Forumsirgins.

Fuck off.