Other urls found in this thread:

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/
youtube.com/watch?v=rRbY3TMUcgQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_Programming_Language
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

Java is.

.0005 poos deposited in your loo account, Pajeet

Really man? Why you trying to start shit? Stop baiting.

Deny it if it makes you feel better. That won't change the fact that Java is currently the most popular programming language out there.

tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

This is the future. If that rustles your buttons then do something about it vs plugging your ears.

People were saying that same shit 7 years ago. Java was fucking awful then and it's awful now but things -are- possible in it and the JVM makes it sort of portable so it has a shitty justification for CS degrees to teach it and it's easy as fuck to be a brain dead collection of objects implementer and member-function auto-complete tapper in your hand-hold IDE thereby learning OO.
So there it came and here it stays. Just like shitty pop music: plays on every radio validly well, everyone can appreciate it.

It is
youtube.com/watch?v=rRbY3TMUcgQ

What does Erlang have going for it that would make it a contender for such a title?

looks like someone just fucking dropped their alphabet

I'm not the one you have to convince. At any rate, it's better to have a few languages under your belt vs just one.

yes unreadable clusterfuck is obviously the fucking future

python babby detected

so it was the future, and it still is
good post

>python
I hate that piece of shit

if your language of choice doesn't read like pretty much like english, then it's complete shit and will never attain significant status

So why not program in English?

Phtn, _, bad:{too}

Hello, Mike.

No, but I do love the actor model

>slow
>garbage collected
>VM
>only recently got proper parallelism
>esoteric syntax
Gno.

Rust is the future.

Rust will be forgotten in a year

>unreadable code
>no mutable variables
>no real strings
I have no respect for a language that pretends threads are a new and innovative feature when that's been a core feature of C for half a century.

>if your language of choice doesn't read like pretty much like english, then it's complete shit and will never attain significant status
I have your solution

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare_Programming_Language

Golang

I can't really think of any situations where Erlang would legitimately be the best choice. Maybe if there was actually a decent Erlang virtual machine that could actually manage decent performance, but there's not.

I guess it's academically interesting, at least.

Actually, is there ANY real company that uses it outside academia?

Thinks Erlang processes are threads.

They're not OS-level processes user, but they are processes within the VM, not threads. They do not share memory or the other sorts of resources that threads typically share. They are also typically much smaller than either OS processes or even OS threads.

WTF? Java's been in decline for at least 5 years, maybe 10. And good riddance.

I don't like any language where I can't tell 90% of what's going on at first glance

and it's not just lack of familiarity either, Lisp, Python and Haskell are all much more readable than that

so unless you have some actual real world advantages to using Erlang, it's just going to be another dead language on the pile

Any company that uses CouchDB, or Riak, or RabbitMQ. There's some intrusion detection software by Alert Logic that uses it heavily. Just off the top of my head...

A bunch, including whatsapp.

Then how do you account for the fact that SQL is a complete clusterfuck?

You have to be clinically retarded to believe this.

Java is going to be the COBOL of the future.
There's billions and billions of lines of Java in production today. I would say the vast majority of it is >10 years old.
Very few companies are producing NEW Java applications; they are just hiring Java developers to maintain their current infrastructure.

A small handful of companies are using Scala for their new applications because it integrates directly into their existing Java infrastructure, but, from what I've seen, most are moving to C# / .NET.

You're forgetting Android apps.

Oh god. I threw up a little in my mouth reading that ugly ass code. If that's the future I'll an hero right fucking now

>threads are a core feature of c
you clearly know nothing about c or erlang you retarded fuck