CPU thread

discuss Xeon

Why the fuck would anyone get this:
ark.intel.com/products/88177/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1275-v5-8M-Cache-3_60-GHz
over this:
ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JJJordynjones
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory
ark.intel.com/m/products/92981/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v4-25M-Cache-2_20-GHz#@product/specifications
ark.intel.com/m/products/91766/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2683-v4-40M-Cache-2_10-GHz#@product/specifications
overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers
anandtech.com/show/4847/looking-at-sandy-bridge-e-overclocking
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've got an i7 920 at 3.8 right now, don't want to spend alot of money for an upgrade.

My mobo should be compatible with an x5650 and I'm going to overclock the shit out of it, think it should be doable for a few more years?

Can any attest to any single threaded improvements?

I either buy a x5650 for 60 bucks and a PCIE USB3.0 + Sata6 card to keep my 1366 build alive.

Or I wait for Zen and hope its good.

>Xeon
Are you building a server or a special-purpose machine that has computational requirements close to a server?

If no, don't get a fucking Xeon. That's it.

>special-purpose
like what? the stats seem identical except the xeon is slower.

Which cpu is that in the op?

THAT'S MY DAUGHTER YOU PERV!

>Xeon is only for servers
you fell for that meme and bought an i7 insted of a cheaper Xeon with less than 5% performance difference

please answer wtf is the difference? there seems to be none

isnt the only differece the lack of igpu on xenon?

check'd

no, even the xeon has bloat

ECC (Error-correcting code) memory support

Wait xeons have a gpu wat

>Lower power draw
>Better iGPU
>Intel vPro
>Intel Trustes Execution

>>Intel vPro
>>Intel Trustes Execution
huh?

>better igpu
no u retard the p530 is clocked 100mhz lower. both r shit though

security features you mostly won't use and can't use if you don't have a server grade mobo

Delicious ECC memory.

What else would provide signal to the server's VGA port?

also if the xeon is cheaper than the i7 and you mobo support it then get Xeon

it's actually more expensive than the i7

Good goy

I think this is singularly the most attractive human being I've ever set eyes on.

?

I said IF shops in some countries blow i7 prices way up a that hyper-threaded 4 core Xeons becomes a better choice

who cares about ECC?

see

Anyone who gives a shit about system stability and data integrity.

>19 replies
>only one mentions the girl

That's how I know this board is 90% homosexual

who is the erection inception?

>19 replies
>only two mentions the girl
>no one even knows her name
why are you guys all a bunch of homosexual plebs?

seems more like placebo

The consumer market isn't the only market that exists. If you have thousands of processors running 24/7, then things like a difference of a few watts per processor adds up (so, energy costs and cooling solutions). Same with ECC's.

If you only care about personal computing, there's no real reason for you to get a xeon over an i7. Which is the whole fucking point. They're different products meant for different markets.

>beautiful Swedish/Nordic looking girl
>immigrants with her
tfw cucked to the core

twitter.com/JJJordynjones

> literally 16 years old.
> illegal where i'm at
> tfw

>trips
check'd. maybe you should move a first world country, like in western Europe where it's legal.

>Swedish/Nordic
her bloodline has nigger mixed in it. are you just baiting?

>Why the fuck would anyone get this
ECC
VPRO
Trusted Execution

I'm deploying about two dozen Dell Precision T3640's w/ Xeon 1270 v5's and 32GB ECC RAM at work. Some of the modeling and calculations require ECC.

I'm also deploying two T3640's at home. Again, Xeon 1270 V5's, 64GB ECC and 512G NVME drives. These will be general purpose workstations.

I'd hit that. Y'all some gay motherfuckers you didn't notice the hot ass girl in thumbnail. Seems right in this board tho

what's the benefit of ECC really?

Error correction. When you can't risk bad data.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECC_memory

Memory errors can cause a system to become unstable or crash, and soft memory errors can cause trouble if they contain data that gets written to disk. These errors are rare, but the risk is high enough for server and workstation tasks that it's worth the small price premium to go ECC. In some cases it's required for memory-intensive calculations, because enough work is being done in memory that the small chances of soft errors in memory become near-certainties.

Another benefit of ECC is that it can defend against rowhammer attacks.

That's Jordyn Jones. She lives in LA and is like 14 years old

I love my amd 8350. That is all.

16 apparently. there are lots of places where 16 is legal.

>is like 14 years old
fuck off you cuck. get with the times already.

fuck. I have a t-shirt older than her

You won't find ECC amd multi socket support on i7s. Also xeons make more sense if you need more cores, you can get two 10 core broadwell ep xeons for less than the price of a 6950x.

ark.intel.com/m/products/92981/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2630-v4-25M-Cache-2_20-GHz#@product/specifications

fuck I just realized... babies who were only 1 year old during the inside job, are now legal in Europe..

okay so it only makes sense if your motherboard has multiple cpu sockets

meant for

>clock determines gpu performance
no

Xeons are enterprise hardware.
What does that mean? It means they have enterprise features, and are validated for enterprise reliability. They in effect have a little guarantee that says this part has guaranteed 99.999% uptime. Consumer hardware does not, even though they may be based on the same silicon. Enterprise hardware is always a cut above in reliability and generally in binning as well.

looking at older men who date much younger women (e.g. donald and melania) really grosses me the fuck out. he was 24 when she was born. i'm only a few years older than that (26).

i honestly think it's just creepy to be dating/in a relationship with anyone if either of you hit puberty before the other one was born. like maybe just fuck her a few times, but a lasting relationship? how can you escape that thought?

say that to pascal. it's just a higher clocked maxwell

Only some lower end xeons (E3s) have iGPUs. Normally, server motherboards have an onboard GPU for VGA output.

>t. insecure cuck or old unwanted woman

Well in OP's pic she certainly looks Nordic, and in black and white you can't even see her brown eyes. Even the most hardcore Nazi wouldn't probably mind tapping that.

As if that makes her less hot

Since it's CPU thread I might as well ask this.

Where can I get a broken i7 6700k for a cheap price?

>broken
for what purpose?

why would you want a broken CPU?

I bet for a scam

>weirdnutdaily posting

Trade it in for a new one, so that I would get a i7 for a cheap price.

>only makes sense if your motherboard has multiple cpu sockets

Not really, they make more sense if you need more cores in general. Even if you buy a new one (second hand xeons on ebay are really cheap, i.e. 8 core xeon for $60) you can get a 16 core chip with cache bigger than the 6950x's by 15M for $100 more than the 6950x's price.
ark.intel.com/m/products/91766/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2683-v4-40M-Cache-2_10-GHz#@product/specifications

Also you forgot ECC memory support, which is important for workstations and server. The only intel chips that support it are some i3s and xeons. I think it's obvious why someone might choose a xeon over an i3.

Not really.

you mean RMA? if that's possible, why wouldn't the person with the broken 6700 do it?

You buy a new CPU from Walmart and trade in the old one and say it's broken.

>hurr ECC isn't important durr
>computers can only be used as toys

It's bedtime

did I fuck up for going with LGA 2011?

Natalie Lind was also 14 when these pictures were taken. Now she's 16 and posting her isn't half as lulzy

Wew

ugly as fuck tbqh fampai

Does walmart sell CPUs where you live?

Probably, not sure.

Do you mean the V3 one or one of the two others? Either way I wouldn't call it a fuck up as you can get second hand xeons for dirt cheap on ebay, even 20 core ones.

I mean LGA 2011. not 2011-3.

currently on Intel Core i7-3930K

I'm only coding for a firm who doesn't regularly update their computers, and there doesn't seem to be a need.
Why speed up your stuff if you're not a gamer or manage loads of data continuously. Are requirements for common applications really going up so fast?

I think there are worse ways to spend your time than her

>you can get second hand xeons for dirt cheap on ebay, even 20 core ones.
like which ones? all the ones I see are at about 2.0GHz

wtf does that even mean?

That's an overclockable 6 core CPU which has nearly the same performance as a 6700k(both on stock clocks). Sounds pretty good to me considering you have a huge list of available upgrades and you can oc the shit out of it.

It is an engineering sample. It is not compatible with some motherboards that block them.

>and you can oc the shit out of it.
can you please send me somewhere I can learn how to OC a cpu properly? (the 3930K to be specific)

>It is not compatible with some motherboards that block them.
wtf? how do I know which ones block them? mine's an Asus P9X79 WS

The ones that aren't old are mostly 8 or 8+ core chips which usually have lower clocks due to the core count. A 12 core 2.2ghz xeon for $202 sounds good to me. You shouldn't be getting a xeon if higer clocks are more important than core count.

I found these, there are plenty of guides available and overclocking is usually done the same way when a modern chip is the subject.

overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers

anandtech.com/show/4847/looking-at-sandy-bridge-e-overclocking

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2z07sFM2I

Good luck

absolutely nothing and don't bother being baited otherwise
plebs with linus-caliber box-reading-level information will say it's "necessary to protect against memory errors" but in reality memory errors are almost always detected anyway and cause zero problem, and for cases where there is a SERIOUS memory error, ECC will not be enough to save you.
It's just a way to jew companies into paying three times as much for "peace of mind", and a way for intel to control the amount of people buying used server ram instead of New Intel Approved(tm) DDR4(R) Fast(C) Ram.

pure bullshit user, you're welcome
nobody else will admit this to you.

featureset

thanks fampai

great buzzword mate.

>4790k masterrace

thanks a lot

I didn't click on your links in particular, but let me just throw in 2 cents on the whole “enterprise branding” thing.

When people buy an “enterprise” version of a hardware product (like a xeon vs desktop CPU, SCSI/SAS vs SATA disk, ECC vs non-ECC memory, etc.), a big part of what you're paying for is a higher priority in the QC binning.

Even within the same hardware line, different devices come out with different levels of quality (stability, longevity, whatever) - and the more valuable chips/disks/whatever get thrown into the more expensive enterprise bins - partly because that's where the big money is, and also because enterprise customers tend to buy whatever is the most reliable (rather than the fastest).

Enterprise customers are usually the “#1 priority” to a company, in terms of everything from drivers to support to performance, and this reflects itself across virtually every type of hardware.

So without looking at the exact specs of the CPUs you're asking me to compare, I can tell you right off the bat that the Xeon will probably perform better and be more reliable under long-term constant load than the i7.

>seems more like placebo
Bit flips happen.

In fact, the last one on our production server was not too long ago.

[Jul25 18:48] [Hardware Error]: MC4 Error (node 0): DRAM ECC error detected on the NB.
[ +0.000124] EDAC MC0: 1 CE on mc#0csrow#0channel#0 (csrow:0 channel:0 page:0x1a573b offset:0xb0 grain:0 syndrome:0x9054)
[ +0.000010] [Hardware Error]: Error Status: Corrected error, no action required.
[ +0.000038] [Hardware Error]: CPU:0 (f:21:2) MC4_STATUS[-|CE|-|-|AddrV|CECC]: 0x942a410090080a13
[ +0.000049] [Hardware Error]: MC4_ADDR: 0x00000001a573b0b0
[ +0.000027] [Hardware Error]: cache level: L3/GEN, mem/io: MEM, mem-tx: RD, part-proc: RES (no timeout)
[ +0.000058] mce: [Hardware Error]: Machine check events logged

I got an 1231v3 over 4790K because it was 100$ cheaper.

>tfw bought a 6600k and a CLC and haven't touched clock speeds

IOMMU and shit

No problem, have fun. Just make sure to set the voltage too high and keep an eye on the temps.

Engineering samples are pre-production processors used for testing and systems integration. They are not supported by any server motherboards. They may be supported by consumer motherboards. Or they may not be, who the fuck knows because nobody is gonna list ES processor support.

They do not get microcode updates either. As you can see, this Xeon ES chip I have supports TSX despite being Haslel - TSX is broken and Intel has it disabled on Haslel through a microcode update.

Xeons have higher requirements for power consumption, stability, and durability.

It means it belongs to Intel and you shouldn't buy it if you can't afford to throw the cash away if they decide they want the unit back.

the K series do IOMMU now though

> if you can't afford to throw the cash away if they decide they want the unit back.

Nigger, the chinks are selling these 10 times cheaper directly from the factory. Intel doesn't even know these bootleg units exist.

...Yes they do. They're engineering samples. Intel sends them to OEMs so they can integrate new architectures into their products.

Then how do chinks on aliexpress manage to sell them in tens of thousands?