>he returns it, buys another used motherboard and a used i5 2500k
>one or the other is DOA
>returns both of them, buys a brand new motherboard and i5- 6600k from newegg
>both work
>starts having severe driver issues
>returns both
>buys yet another used motherboard and i5 2500k
>both DOA

how can someone literally go through 5 motherboards and 3 cpus and STILL not get it running?

The only time he got the computer running was when he purchased brand new shit

I keep telling him it's because he's buying used shit but he doesn't fucking listen.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with my same build from 2011.

Is he using the case standoffs?

case has pre-installed stand offs - i thought this was the problem, but just to be safe i tried installing stand offs just for the fuck of it, on top of those, and when I put the first one on, I realized the back ports wont come out of the I/O shield

Everything powers on, but the display just never pops up. Tried VGA/ HDMI/ DVI/ Display port, everything.

Tried using onboard/ gpu connections

Tried multiple monitors and cables

He bought new ram and power supply too. Again, when he bought the NEW mobo + cpu it actually started working until that mobo started shitting out on him after he was installing drivers.

What kind of retard bullshit is this. Why return the new parts anyway?

the only "new" parts were the ones he bought from newegg - and the motherboard is known to have terrible issues with drivers.

once he started installing drivers from the CD that came with it, errors started popping up like crazy.

he also doesn't do research before buying parts, then blames me that it doesn't work.

sounds like your "brother" doesn't know what he is doing, rather than the parts being broken.

Sounds like he doesn't want you spoon feeding him.
Let him waste his money and time, my mother is the same. He'll come around eventually.

Did the genius think to assemble the build outside the case to eliminate it as a possible cause before buying enough components for 3 builds?

this is not a tech support board, pls leave

The thread was dead, then you bumped it you silly cunt. You know better, user

>how can someone literally go through 5 motherboards and 3 cpus and STILL not get it running?
Probably because those aren't the fucking problem.

User error

He's not setting it up right. Retards do this shit all the time and then return perfectly working parts.

>it was the ram all along

Good thing this isn't a tech support thread, retard

Did he ever try reseting the CMOS?

>From CD
You fucking retard, you install the newer drivers from the manufaturers website

i'd say power supply

So can this be a tech support thread? Because I just had to set up a new prebuilt for my mother and it was such a hassle.
>get a call about two weeks back from my mother, complaining that the computer won't turn on
>go to look at it
>plugged in properly
>ask about what happened
>she got the automatic upgrade to Win10 without wanting it, and just shut the PC off 15% of the way through the installation
>take it home
>can't get it to turn on at all, even after swapping out most parts
>she fried SOMETHING
>eventually give up and go buy her a $200 prebuilt with Windows 8.1
>take it over
>2 minutes to hook it up
>literally 2 hours to set up her email account on it because she insisted on doing it herself but I had to walk her through every step
>never used Windows 8 so I don't even know where anything is on it
>finally get everything set up
>as I'm leaving she asks me to look at her laptop because it's slow
>run superantispyware
>2000+ pieces of malware, ranging from cookies up to fake AV programs and such
The worst part was trying to figure out how she checks the email she signed up for the MS account with.
>ask which email she used
>her Cogeco one
>ask if there's a site where she signs into that email address or what
>"I picked the Cogeco email for the Microsoft account."
>doesn't answer my question
>takes 10 minutes to get a straight answer
>spend half an hour walking through every possible password she might have because she can't remember 6 digits
Just fucking kill me.

Write down all the info somewhere safe and keep it to yourself. She will have to never tell you ger shit ever again.

Also, did you try reseting the CMOS?, startup without HDD, looking through traces on mobo and such.

Yes she will. She used to have her info written down, but apparently it just disappeared on its own. She's going to have ten thousand viruses in a month anyway.
Nope. This was easier. I did forget to add that I pulled the stuff she wanted off her old HDD. I'm not going to waste my week off work because she doesn't understand not to shut off a computer when it's doing something fucking important.

You know what that sounds like? A broken PSU frying components.

Ah yeah, I have one customer where he thinks replacing a HDD with a SSD in a pc with a Core 2 Duo, that the computer will be as powerfull as an i7 970

My mother isn't even at that level. She just doesn't know anything, and that's it. She's had computers for 20+ years and used them regularly, but all she knows how to do is read Facebook. And she uses Internet Explorer.

That dude also doesn't know shit too. I told him that this replacement will make it responsive and have really fast tranfer speeds, but he aa an idiot thinks it is going to change anything. Also he works on a PC at work but doesn't know the website their email server works at and had to fish it out somehow somewhere. Holy shit he is a dense one.

My problem is that I could tell my mother that an SSD would give her faster transfer speeds and she would have no idea what any of that means. It's frustrating trying to explain the most basic things to her.

>5 motherboards and 3 CPUs
Keep the 2500Ks and the motherboards, those are all fine. Return your brother, he is the broken part.

> not replacing the PSU in the first place

I had issues similar to this, once.

Sold every component that wasn't working individually and bought a 100%, entirely new part build.

Not a single person who bought the old parts had a fucking problem. I can only assume it was the case, as i threw that in the bin.