I have a thinkpad if that matters

Other urls found in this thread:

nanami-tan.info/
tracerneo.eu.org/cyb/textfiles/Linux_for_Beginners.txt
linuxnewbieguide.org/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page
ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk/raw
ghostbin.com/paste/zf6af/raw
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-customize-your-bash-prompt-on-a-linux-vps
dotshare.it/
terminal.sexy/
box-look.org
gnome-look.org
omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/06/arc-gtk-theme
noobslab.com/search/label/macbuntu
ghostbin.com/paste/atb7t
github.com/ubuntufag/System6-theme
darkdoomer.deviantart.com/art/da-motherfuckin-irix-icon-set-179568520
gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298
snwh.org/paper/icons/
ghostbin.com/paste/nsdkf
howtogeek.com/167674/how-to-enable-and-tweak-ubuntus-flashy-graphical-effects/
webupd8.org/2013/07/conky-manager-gui-for-managing-conky.html
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1518
pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201109/page09.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Judging by that question, yes.

>Judging by that question, yes.
but I got a thinkpad because people from here said it was easy to get into linux with one

and I don't wanna use windows anyone because Sup Forums people said it's bad

i have to get into linux now

What is your problem?

>What is your problem?
I am scared of trying out linux

how do i start

will it break the touchscreen on my laptop? do i need to be a programmer to use it

> I am scared of trying out linux
You can try it in a Virtual Machine
> how do i start
1. If you really want to use it, decide if you want to dual-boot it with Windows (in case you need some software which is not working although PlayOnLinux is pretty good) or as a standalone
2. Download a Linux-distribution (Mint, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, the decision is with you, although I would recommend to download something user-friendly) and put it either on a DVD or USB-stick
3. Install it
4. ???
5. Profit

> will it break the touchscreen on my laptop? do i need to be a programmer to use it
no, it shouldn't
no

umm only smart people use it as their main os for anime ricing and play games on windows
so to answer your question no

The Wacom panel on my x61t works with no additional config on Ubuntu. I just need to fuck with it to switch orientations.

>bunch of weebs spend every day adding anime girls to their linux desktops
>is linux hard

stop doing things just because Sup Forums said

>dual-boot it with Windows
this

ok see the reason I think I might be too stupid is because the last time I tried to use linux was when I was 14 years old, and I downloaded linux to my laptop and tried to get it set up and the internet wouldn't work no matter what I did

(I think the issue might have been internet card drivers or something idk)

so I had to fucking get a new laptop lmao, I didn't have any recovery media or anything

and I think I am just as stupid now as I was then so if I fuck something up I will be very sad
but I have multiple laptops now so it will be easier to recover

but Sup Forums is filled with smart cool dudes, I respect them and their opinions

things have changed. Its easy to use linux now. just install ubuntu you can't go wrong. install numix theme if you want it to look nice without having to do work

ok I will try to partition my drive and install open suse

i do not know how but i will look up some tutorials online

all I want to do is make my desktop look cute with a bunch of super cute anime girls desu ;_; is there any tutorials for doing just that? I don't want to mess with all the other linux stuff

why open SUSE? i use arch/gentoo myself but if you are new it can be a ballache.
Desktop threads have been purged but if you are serious you might want to look into what Window manager or if you want Display manager you are going to use. e.g. i3, dwm, awesomeWM, openbox etc. Ranger file manager is pretty a e s t h e t i c too, oh and MPD/NCMPCPP for music but it is a bitch to set up

this is i3wm with conkyrc for the bottom bar. the filemanager is ranger

>Desktop threads have been purged
why did they do this again

because the people in them are cancer afaik

Because of mods and fights to prove that their shit is better than others aka compensating their cock's length

nanami-tan.info/
windows ricing guide

>why open SUSE?

best website, very nice design

mint website looks like dogshit designed by high schoolers in 1999 and ubuntu website looks dumb

also I found a guide for installing it which explains how to make the touchscreen work

hello another stupid user here, this is /stupid/ thread now

how do I partition my hard drive? if I downloaded linux will it do this for me?

this sucks desu

dual booter right here

wait so I have to use a USB? can it not just install if I have to iso, is there any way to do that?

how to find out which ports on my computer are bootable

ok I have the iso but there's no instructions on the website on what to do from here

I've put Mint on my X200s just yesterday and it was literally *too easy* - everything worked out of the box, even the stuff I didn't expect to work w/o fiddling around in the settings. Like scrolling with the clit while holding down the middle button, or the OSD for volume/brightness. And the UI is a good mix of Windows and OSX, so nobody should have any problems with it whatsoever. I'd fully recommend it as "babbys first linux" distro but there's actually too much hand-holding for my taste, so there's that, too.

Here you go, friend.

tracerneo.eu.org/cyb/textfiles/Linux_for_Beginners.txt

linuxnewbieguide.org/

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Main_Page

Can you use minor logic? Are you able to learn the functionality of the underlying components in an operating system? Are you able to accept that sometimes even when you swear shit should be working, it will be user error and you will be frustrated? Are you able to use the command line frequently without getting tired? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, you'll be decent at using the operating system in a matter of weeks.

>Are you able to learn
my life experience so far points towards "no"

of course it does with that attitude

Don't bother with it. Thinkpads have some of the best support for linux distros and it still runs like shit. You'll spend more time trying to diagnos and fix issues than actually using the damn thing. Linux is fun for messing with as a big puzzle, but you'll be floating without a paddle if you rely on it.

Unless you do actual Sup Forums work, in which case it's the exact opposite for Linux and Windows will leave you in the dust.

ok I have the ISO, do I need to do anything special to dual boot?

can I just throw it onto a USB and plug it in, will I be prompted to dual boot from there?

>...you're hard drive will be
erased, so back all of your files up before installing any distro.

I would rather it not do this

You have to install Linux to the HDD, and then isntall GRUB bootloader

Is the anime worth?

i gave it a 3.
but if you're looking for internet points then watch it. [spoiler]a very deep show.[/spoiler]

3 out of 5? or 3 out of 10?

don't listen to the other moron it's good

don't listen to that idiot it's shit

Don't do this to me anons, I might collapse.
>animereaction_collapse.jpg

If you're looking to rice your desktop you can achieve the exact same thing on windows that you can on linux. ( Cygwin, BlackBox/Any other WM ).

No, just install Linux Mint (Cinnamon).

How are you guys not treating this as bait?

user, there are stupider threads on the board right now that aren't being treated as bait

this boards population has either heavily degraded or is just much more accepting to non-tech people than before, probably the latter

"""""no"""""

I think summer and raids from other boards are happening quite often, and population in here is just getting used to it.

The first two episodes are fantastic.
The rest of the show isn't.
But I would recommend watching the beginning at least.

The animation looks pretty good, I'll give it a try. I don't know what to expect though.

I guess you are right by the looks of it. But come on "lolxd I need Linux for mah anime background"? OP succesfully baited me I guess even if it isn't ironicly meant.

A base install of win7 is a minimalist's dream

>you can achieve the exact same thing on windows that you can on linux
So deluded. If you keep repeating it you'll believe it.

out of 10

what show is this?

you are masoochistic or something?
so people want to use arch so nothing works and when u spend hour trying to make it works you consider yourself an hacker ?

Look up a guide. If you use a beginner friendly distro it will guide you through it. Other distros like Gentoo or Arch leave it up to you to partition it the way you like it

>the internet wouldn't work no matter what I did
sudo apt-get install internet

Mandatory:

Ricing GNU/Linux is not made by only choosing themes and colors, but what software goes in your computer. "Display Managers" are the login screens, "Window Managers" are the part drawing the borders, colors, etc, and "File Managers" are what handles how you browse your machine. More info:

>Window Manager Reviews. To decide the main look and feel.
ghostbin.com/paste/tfnhk/raw

>GNU/Linux Software Big List. For options on many more stuff.
ghostbin.com/paste/zf6af/raw

>How to Customize your Bash Prompt
digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-customize-your-bash-prompt-on-a-linux-vps
dotshare.it/
terminal.sexy/

>Where to get some themes and icons
box-look.org
gnome-look.org

Arc, a GTK Theme: omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/06/arc-gtk-theme
Mac OS X (MacBuntu) Transformation pack for Ubuntu: noobslab.com/search/label/macbuntu
How to have a Win 95 theme on Lubuntu: ghostbin.com/paste/atb7t
Macintosh System 6 XFCE4 Theme: github.com/ubuntufag/System6-theme

IRIX icons: darkdoomer.deviantart.com/art/da-motherfuckin-irix-icon-set-179568520
Win95 icons: gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Classic95?content=157298
Paper Icon Set: snwh.org/paper/icons/

>Starting x without DM or Login Manager
ghostbin.com/paste/nsdkf

>How to Enable and Tweak Flashy Graphical Effects.
howtogeek.com/167674/how-to-enable-and-tweak-ubuntus-flashy-graphical-effects/

>Desktop application to show various info on CPU, battery power, e-mail inboxes, many popular music players, etc.
webupd8.org/2013/07/conky-manager-gui-for-managing-conky.html

>How to make your own theme
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1518
pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201109/page09.html

Why so low?

ITOKO

dankest*

because i thought it was terrible
that's probably the lowest I ever gave a show without dropping it

Why did you think it was terrible? Why didn't you drop it if it was so terrible?

Z O R I N
O
R
I
N

because i wanted to see what other people saw in it
never did because too dumb

I used Arch because I have an intense hatred of every single Linux DE. They're all worthless fucking trash, every single one of them. Compared to the rest of the distros Arch is actually the easiest and simplest to install without some piece of shit bloatware DE included.

Debian netinst proves that's wrong, though.

>the internet wouldn't work no matter what I did
Oh let me guess, wireless? That was the one thing with using Linux on random laptops that weren't ThinkPads a couple of years ago, their fucking wireless chips where a pain to get to work.

>I got a thinkpad
I hope you got one of the old non Lenovo models because they've been malwareing it up with their shit for a while now.

>Numix theme
my nigga