Why does no one mention that you can install alternative DEs or "Shells" in windows like you can on Linux?

Why does no one mention that you can install alternative DEs or "Shells" in windows like you can on Linux?

Isn't one of the main reasons Linux gets promoted here so much the availability of choice and desktops and shit? You can do most of that on windows too apparently.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alternative_shells_for_Windows

Because they all look like they where made by edgy teens.

bblean was pretty cool last time I tried it

Dumb phoneposter

phoneposted*

That's not true, and even if it was it doesn't mean they don't exist.

Customization does not only entail aesthetic ricing.

Because literally almost all of them have been abandoned by the developers.

The only ones still being maintained are the niche ones like the one designed for a car.

So I can install whatever "shell" I want from a command line right?

>Isn't one of the main reasons Linux gets promoted here so much the availability of choice and desktops and shit?
Full retard

Idk man, if he learnt about Linux from Sup Forums...

Is this the new desktop thread?

Most of them look like shit, or are broken, or require Aero to be turned off (which introduces screen tearing).

IF IT'S NOT KDE, XFCE, MATE, CINNAMON, OR LXDE IT CAN GO FUCK ITSELF. SAME TO YOU OP.

Also these.

>premade DEs
>not a WM like OpenBox

>use the OpenBox meme
>spend hours ricing
>still looks like shit
>still doesn't have great built in features like KDE connect
Piss off.

Windows doesn't need 16 DE's because the one it comes with as default works well enough for hundreds of millions of users.

If you use a hacked up and bastardised server OS using 1980's era design being worked on by people with severe mental health issues than obviously it's going to be fucked up and you'll need all the DE's GNU/Linux has.

This. They are all so so 2002.

Why does my thought go immediately to loss?

>tfw you haven't been able to go back to Sup Forums for 3 years now

what happened to this place? I know everyone says it was always bad, but it seems so much worse now.

>2002
I miss that era of design for PCs...

Pre-Vista era was the best when it came to software and OS design.

Everything nowadays tries to look so minimalist, modern and "professional".