Programming old

Is it ever too late to start programming? I'm 25 and keep hearing about 9 year olds coding and it makes me feel like there's no hope.

Nope. Stop shitposting and start learning. learn-c.org or codeacademy is a good start

>falling for the "learning is more difficult the older you are" meme

python for total beginners?

Not OP.
Asking for something a bit more advanced, as I know python basic, javascript basic, c# basic, but my code looks very different (and under-engineered) from the useful things i browse on github.

>49▶
>CODEACADEMY

xD NICE MEME FRIENDO

what if you're 53? is that too late, or should one one of that age just keep shit-posting?

If I go for a software engineering degree now at 25, i'll be 29 when I graduate. Why would people employ a 29 year old when 22 year olds are available?

They wouldn't, at 29 you're supposed to have at least 10 years of experience. Nobody is going to hire a 30 year old for a junior position.

Pick some other field like burger flipping or floor cleaning, friendo.

>Why would people employ a 29 year old when 22 year olds are available?
22 year olds are idiots.
I should know, I used to be one.

This. It usually only applies to basic shit such as language

>but my code looks very different (and under-engineered) from the useful things i browse on github.
Obviously. The techniques you need to use change as the order of magnitude of lines of code increases. Eg
20 lines: all in ine function is ok
200 lines: need to have multiple functions
2000 lines: need multiple files
Etc. it breaks down into depending on the language and environment here.

It's not too late but it will be much harder for you. Imagine learning abstract algebra at 40 instead of 20, after having been out of the game of 20 years.

Funny. I've seen people double that age hired for junior positions at several companies I've worked for.

Is it ever too late to start French? I'm 25 and keep hearing about 3 year olds speaking French and it makes me feel like there's no hope.

I could come over to your house and give you a full course lesson about programming everyday. All I want in return is a blowjob

>I've seen people double that age hired for junior positions at several companies I've worked for.
>shit that I pulled out of my ass: the post

It's not that hard. You must first start with the pre-requisites to abstract algebra then work your way up to abstract algebra.

Believe what you want. There's little reason not to if the salary is the same and the ability is there.

Who are you quoting?

why wouldnt they? most people switch companies every 2-4 years, so why would they care about your age?

when i started i got a job offer which included a clause to not be able to fuck off after 2 years in the contract.

I'm not saying its hard. I'm saying its harder at 40 after having been out of school for such a long time relative to being 20 and fresh off a lower div lin algebra course.

The reason not to is to hire much younger personnel who would work for much less and who also don't have a family, unless the 30 yo in question is an autistic virgin.

That's actually not legal in the US. Better yet, that one clause would render the entire contract void.

Why does it matter if the salary and expectations are the same? Also FYI it's illegal to discriminate on things like age/family. It definitely happens but if you get laid off and replaced by a younger employee you often have a good case.

I'm not murrican, so there's that.

But my point still stands, Companies invest a lot of money in Training new Employees, so they dont want to be a part of a hit & run.

Expectations for a 30 yo are not the same as the ones for the fresh out of college 20 year olds.
>it's illegal to discriminate on things like age/family
Nobody really cares if it's illegal, they don't have to justify their rejecting of your applications.

So do linear algebra first. Problem solved.

What do you mean? Us CA bad?

You are not too old; you are a big fat baby.

Pinhead.

The expectations are what the paygrade is.

programming is pretty easy and doesn't take very long to learn. programmers are mostly just average intelligence people who think they are smart for having a learned skill most people don't. if you are intelligent you will pick it up fast and actually stand out as well in no time

>what if you're 53? is that too late, or should one one of that age just keep shit-posting?
At the birth of any field, there are plenty of people from diverse ages and backgrounds coming in to contribute.

At the birth of digital computing, there were probably people that old taking it up.

It's only too late if you're dead, and maybe medical science will even break down that barrier one day. #NoLivesMatter #Deathversity #BreakGlassTombstones

The expectations for a 20 year old are to work full time, not having to support a family and completely concentrate on the job. The expectations for a 30 year old are to have 10 years of experience, a family and other responsibilities, family can be offset with experience. A 30 year old has neither, so he's on the losing side of it. Personally I would never hire a 30 year old for a junior position, that simply means the person has no idea what they want by trying different things until their turn 30 just to realize they've never had a steady career. Such people are irresponsible and don't belong in any respectable company, I'm sorry if the truth hurts your feelings.

What a sad world we live in.

your post is a huge exaggeration of reality

If you don't want to get PTSD, never leave your mommy's basement and stick to watching anime and MLP.

>the expectations of 30 year old are...

Stopped reading. Kill yourself.

>buttblasted 30-yo
top kek

Some courses are premium only. They have a cheeky way of putting unacessable lessons into the free courses so you're limmited to what you can learn.

You have a shitty personality and outlook on a world. Keep projecting though.

>You have a shitty personality and outlook on a world
That's not shitty, it's called being real. The real world is harsh, again I'm sorry if it hurts your feelings, but nobody cares about them.

You're indoctrinated from the whole corporate and compartmentalized thought process, I used to think like this but got fortunately into retirement grade cash before the age of 30 and it blew my mind because of how meaningless everything was, only experience counts.

As long as you do whatever you're doing with dedication and not just for the pay, it's worth doing; as for coding, it's the language of a new industrial revolution, industry 4.0; it's fair to say, it's a per-requisite of our generation.

This is going to sound cliché, but try doing what you love and success will follow in someway. Work hard, have faith in yourself and don't get distracted. God helps those who help themselves.

Best post.

Is 25 too old to advance as a person and learn new things?

Demand, a great interview , better qualifications.

Youre an idiot.

It's still relative to the person. Not everyone that's not in school sits in their ass watching TV. Some self teach to a lesser or further extent.

I started seriously programming at 23. I'm 25 now. During rankings for layoffs, I was ranked #1 most valuable employee.

Wow, are you really this stupid? You really think it's a bad thing to try different paths? That's the best way to find what you are a best fit for. Many people who are in the same careers since early twenties are miserable and want to do something else but can't because of family and mortgage.

I noticed young guys like you who wear their youth on their sleeves are usually losers with youth being their only benefit.

You keep saying its "real " but it's not. I speak from experience. It's called changing career paths idiot. People do it all the time. Then you keep saying sorry if it hurts like you actually know what the fuck you're talking about.

>basic shit such as language
I.e. programming language

Nice arguments, dumbass.

Top kek, nobody is going to care about your 10+ years of experience as a burger flipping monkey or a welder even if you're applying to a tech job where experience is everything, this might work for a web dev monkey, but no the systems stuff, not even usual desktop development.

he looks like snoke

it's not too late. I know several people that started around that age and they are better than several people that started when they were like 12, even after only 1 year of programming.

Still a good starting point though.

you only list when you started degree and ended
they would never know your age

you can't tell a 22 year old or 29 year old apart anyway

keep projecting pal, i'm sure it feels very gud

If you have not mastered machine code by the time you are 12 weeks in the womb, there is no hope for you.

false
most programming languages have a handful of keywords

Nobody is going to hire a 30-year old junior developer in any capacity.

Developers are forcefully aged out of the industry by age 40 because middle management just assumes that nobody enjoys programming and everyone aspires to join management.
If you're 35+ and you haven't become a project lead dev or a manager, you're the first to go when layoffs come around.

somewhat true, especially evident in Switzerland where most job ads literally outline "the expected age of an applicant for this position is 20-45"

Will it hurt your feelings to say you are truly retarded?

>projecting
You keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
If you provide arguments as to why I am retarded.

>12 weeks in the womb

only if you are a looser :^)
normal people do it in 6 weeks

Pros learn programming while their daddies are still inside their granddaddies.

>G.W. Leibniz is generally considered, along with Isaac Newton, as a cofounder of the differential and integral Calculus. For this reason Leibniz's achievements are often compared to that of his subsequent rival from England. It can be said with almost complete certainty that he did not have the raw mathematical skill that Newton possessed. Furthermore, Leibniz, who was a few years younger than Newton, had very little formal education or experience in the subject. In fact he had virtually no background in Algebra or Geometry when he arrived in Paris on a diplomatic post at the relatively developed age of 24.
>In fact he had virtually no background in Algebra or Geometry when he arrived in Paris on a diplomatic post at the relatively developed age of 24.

If he can co-invent Calculus after being ignorant of Algebra for 24 years of his life, you can learn how to write a few "IF DIS.... DO DIS..." statements with slight jargon.

yea if you start later than 12 years old there is no way you'll ever fill the gap. There are 21 year olds right now finishing college that have 10 years of experience under their belt. What are you gonna do gramps?

Previous anons have already done so. You outed yourself as being a shut-in autist claiming to know how the world works when people make career changes constantly, even in coding. Whether it be a startup, a company in transition, or just being short up on programmers, there are always reasons to hire more programmers, especially in this kind of industry where results and the code speak for everythjng, regardless of the programmer's age etc

>21 year olds right now finishing college that have 10 years of experience
l m a o
where? what experience? making geocities pages or designing their tumblrs with premade css?

>career changes constantly, even in coding
I never said anything about career changes in the IT industry, that's logical and acceptable to have experience in IT and transition into some other IT position, but that's still within the industry, nobody is going to hire a 30 yo Joe off the street with no programming experience for a junior position, there are of course exceptions, but they can only happen if the company is heavily understaffed and doesn't have a shitload of job applications with every 20-yo knowing all mainstream languages and frameworks with maybe even internship somewhere competing for the job.

Do you really think an employer would rather hire a 30-yo nobody with 0 experience in IT rather than a 20-yo with 2 years of experience, having a shitload of personal projects and who has exhibited the same and even better programming ability as the 30-yo nobody by solving all the interview tests?

it's terrible.

This. There is no bias if an individual's output speaks for itself. Anybody who believes otherwise probably has been sold on going to school and it guaranteeing a job. It doesn't at all, as we see in countless shitposts. And honestly, if your softskills that you display in the interview process don't work with the company then move on.

>Geocities
Lol, nah man MySpace themes.

>do you really think

Not him but often my super will go along on the interviews for older guys to see if they get along/learn more about their previous careers to see if they will bring something different to whatever team they are hiring for.

There are advantages to not just hiring assembly-lined 20 year olds who are all more or less the same.

But all of this is likely to fall in deaf ears because you have shown that you do not change your opinions, nor even entertain foreign ones when presented with rational discourse. Sorry if it hurts your feelings but you are the exact type of person that does not make it here

I'll let you in on a secret: most programmers suck.

I'm a sysadmin, but I have to support code/services written by our programming department - they're mostly terrible. I even have to write my own software to check that they're working and restart them until they do.

im not sure where you live that either there are so little companys hiring for these positions or so many qualified graduates freely available that the market would overflow with them.

and this is not meant as a snide remark, cause where I'm based the opposite is true. I hold two masters degrees, one in a non technical field, which I completed first, and one in a technical field and I didn't have any issue picking a job around where I live finishing school at 28.

yeah but he was literally like 200 iq

This is shit thinking. If you believe that any benefits given to you by being young will last you forever then you're as bad as a typical Stacey turn roastie. There will be a day when you're no longer young and in demand and your experience will be shit. Just like actionscript in 2016.

>There are advantages to not just hiring assembly-lined 20 year olds
Only if the 30-yo in question knows the domain and can provide insight into particular non-programming issues, the obvious advantage to hiring a 20-yo is because he's younger and can thus work much longer, because by the time the younger one retires, the older one will be long dead.

>Stacey turn roastie
What?

are we talking a 30 year age difference or a 5 year age difference at this point? Cause I feel you can't just claim it's all the same.

We're talking 7-10 year difference.

Once you're 30, nobody will hire you because they think your knowledge is obsolete.

They don't ever stay longer than 10 years anyway. Besides the initial cost to get the employee working productively is offset by the employees effectiveness within a month so who cares. Keep the system well documented and there is no problem

My point is that we have hired 50 year olds with 5 years experience and regularly hire 30 year olds over high school grads

A hot girl who ages like milk.

I was an unemployed, 27 years old fatass with no CS degree, and now I am a Senior Dynamics Ax programmer. I know is not 'real haxxor programming', but I thought I would never know how to even work with objects, and now I am better than many engineers in my company. Shit now I'm a project leader.

Instead of failing to learn again and again, search a motivation. Ideas, money... Whatever.

What alternatives are there? For example, wheres a good place to learn web development?

coding bootcamp

Stop asking questions tgat make you procrastinate. Just do it. If you want to become a code monkey at 50, just do it. If you want to become an MD, just do it. If you want to learn how to tie your shoelaces, start learning. Do it.

I know its a terrible meme, but with everything coding related the best advice I ever got was to find something you want to build and then try to dig up how to. I know this is the cookie cutter shit tier advice everyone and their mother hands out, but there is some truth to it, cause it gives you direction beyond the absolute basics and those are easy to come by.

I started out with some really basic stuff on how to program, writing the usual hello world and basic loops and what not. My biggest step afterwards was actually going through algorithm books and online courseware / videos to learn how shit gets done and how you think algorithmically.

From there on got a good idea of what I wanna try out and just went right into trying something I wanted to build and digging through tutorials for specific libraries in the language of my choice to help me along the way.

I started in October last year and I'm honest to god amazed at how much progress I made in a short amount of time.

yes. it is too late for you. go kill yourself.

Never too late, but being a pure programmer nowadays is getting harder -- you'll need another skill you can leverage along with your programming knowledge.

Look up Derek Banas on you tube.

He has decent tutorials on various languages and software development.

Well either you watch him or guys from Mumbai.

How would you define that other skill alongside? Being a pure code monkey is indeed shit, but I'm curious how you'd define that extra skill.

I got into programming coming from a Linguistics background and work in natural language processing and information retrieval now. I'd say I got super lucky getting into a narrower field from the start, cause it helped me get some direction on what to work on.

I think he meant something like being able to manage a decent size project by yourself.

So if you start a database manager program which manages multiple databases inside its database, so an item of the program's database is actually an off site database where you can run different operations, you won't just finish but making serious design plans for it.

Or just be very hyped about studying new things.

I work at a large company and we hire a ton of new college graduates in their late 20's through mid 30's for software dev positions. Typically starting 60-65k (Phoenix, AZ).

Not everyone lives in America, famalam.

Programming is far more like math than a real language since it's all just variables and functions.