Nuclear

What's your favourite type of nuclear reactor (fission)?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBMK
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor
atlasobscura.com/articles/the-famous-photo-of-chernobyls-most-dangerous-radioactive-material-was-a-selfie
atomicinsights.com/advances-high-temperature-nuclear-reactor-fuel-triso-integrity-1800-c/
fhr.nuc.berkeley.edu/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

this one
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RBMK

i fuck your mom lmao

Pwr

E D G Y
D
G
Y

Pressurized water is the only way to go in my opinion, but I'm HEAVILY biased because I was a Nuke in the US Navy. That said I'm pretty excited about Lockheed''s new truck-sized fusion reactor.

Cold fusion is best fission

>boiling
>pressurized
>steam
>gas cooled
>high-temperature

It's almost like they WANT nuclear disasters.

Pressurized water reactors are practically self-regulating. US Navy has been using them since the very beginning and has never had a single reactor accident in the history of the program, which is more than I can say for the Soviets and their retarded liquid metal reactors.

is it true the story that americans ditched thorium reactors for more dangerous classic reactors because torium couldn't yeld any plutonium? also, are thorium reactors a meme or they are actually good and safer?

soviet had balls to make those nuclear plans without containment building
they didn't even have plan if something goes really shit

>are thorium reactors a meme or they are actually good and safer
after 50 years we will know

MSR or bust

Rose approves.

This is true, if we had safe breeder reactors, the second you built an old style design, the world would know you're making weapons. Fuck Jimmy Carter.

FBR is decent as well

>was actually a thing
It could be a thing if you have the R&D money to cover it.

The one is running on Gentoo

STANDING
T
A
N
D
I
N
G

Will a desktop computer sized fusion be available in the future? Enough to power a house for life/10-20 years?

O N T H E M E M E
N

T
H
E

M
E
M
E

>fusion

What boat? My dad was a reactor operator on the Francis Scott key.

THORIUM BREEDER

Bill Gates will make the dream real or China

Artur Korneyev is that you?

Polywell

Soviet naval reactors never had any problems either. Whatever accidents you heard of are American propaganda.

what about the soviet boats that cooked off under the ice cap in 82? the ones that are still hot, and will be basically forever?

20 years away every day.
I like the concept though.

this

some of their reactors in the south didn't even have a closed primary water loop, the rivers there were simply contaminated

Post proof or stop spreading lies, CIA niggers.

Wait isn't that the elephant foot? why is there a person there?

the one boat was in april 82, and since it was using advanced slav crewmen, and assembly methods, it went pop and all slavs aboard were drowned.

no great loss. the other one had that pump design flaw that cavitated like hell, and would go pop once it got hot enough. also slav metallurgy.

I thought a person would die right there. Probably fake.

IFR was a pretty cool dude. Too bad Kerry/Clinton/Gore killed it off just a couple years before the project was completed.

Past that I like the future prospects of MSR or DMSR designs. I would also love for Lockheed to make fusion a thing instead of perpetually 20 years away.

Aqueous homogeneous reactor

I believe the radiation affected the film, causing photos to overlay like that. The people you see are from another photo. Bright lights in the photos are caused by that too I believe.

this isn't fake

these guys are very dead

Cool, didn't know about this Design, seems to solve Many Problems.

This was actual film and likely a long exposure due to low light. Streaks are moving lights the worker was wearing/carrying and the ghostly images are due to the worker moving around while the picture is being taken.

I heard they built a rig to wheel the camera in for that photo? If not, those fucks had a horrific ending.

They may have for later photos but about 50 people died horrible deaths as part of that early exploration and cleanup crew.

is it me or is there a face on the right

it's just you - where are you seeing it?

I'm pretty sure that's a reflection froma mirror they used to take a picture from round a corner

I would say the reflection of the light on the water points to the light source being on the far side of the elephants foot.

But either way, its not radiation causing that light like somebody claimed.

Not really my favorite, but it is very cool.

>is it true the story that americans ditched thorium reactors for more dangerous classic reactors because torium couldn't yeld any plutonium?

Yes.

>also, are thorium reactors a meme or they are actually good and safer?

Not a meme, but still needs a lot of research to make an economically viable plant.
People who pretend we could just switch to thorium overnight are meme'ing.

The first generation of PWRs and GCRs weren't economically viable, either. Most of the costs were externalized, this remains true today.

> I was a Nuke in the US Navy

the one homer works in

my favorite is the Fast Breeder Reactor because it goes into the right direction in terms of better fuel utilization and less radioactive waste.

What do you guys think about the news of those guys who figured out how to extract uranium from seawater?

Will nuclear finally become THE environmentally friendly renewable energy source?

Possibly, but the waste problem is still a bigger issue today than the mining is; there is still enough uranium to extract, while the waste glows forever.

The seawater extraction is a cool thing for the future, though.

thorium or gtfo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor

nice OPSEC lad

These photos were taken 10 years after, so the radiation levels have dropped considerably (the foot is still toxic as hell though).

Artur Korneyev has visited the site multiple times to document the foot with his camera. He's been exposed to more radiation than anyone on the planet and is still kicking.

atlasobscura.com/articles/the-famous-photo-of-chernobyls-most-dangerous-radioactive-material-was-a-selfie

Glorious Pebble Bed Master Race reporting

Looks almost organic

Not that user, nor am I even certain this is what he's talking about, but the circled area in the photo has what looks kind of like a small head looking towards the guy in a radiation suit.

Ones designed to power Nuclear ramjet cruise missiles of course

>and is still kicking.

Quoting your article
>Remarkably, he’s probably still alive.
>probably

okay

What security-critical information is he revealing? The boat's been decommissioned for decades, and even if someone could track down a list of reactor personnel on the USS Francis Scott Key and narrow it down to several possible people that he might be talking about, he's still not revealing any new information. The ONLY security issue might be that user is opening himself up to being doxxed by giving people a list of potential last names (if someone looks up a list of reactor personnel on that boat), but there isn't much you can do with that information without having other additional info.

post yfw you figured out they lie and it's the other way round, they put the uranium into the seawater to silently and cheaply get rid of it

>feeling hipster tonight

Why would anyone care? That's a neat party trick at best.

nice vagina

do you really expect more vaginas in the world to solve problems?

>Mazda invented the sun

do the fuel elements break down and fall out of the bottom?
Seems like a serious criticality hazard.

Not break down, just get removed to replace the fissile material in the core.

These reactors would use a fuel like this:
atomicinsights.com/advances-high-temperature-nuclear-reactor-fuel-triso-integrity-1800-c/

Each fuel pellet is its own moderator and containment unit.

Interestingly enough I have heard of a molten salt reactor that would use this type of fuel and just use the salt as a coolant.
fhr.nuc.berkeley.edu/

>waste
Someone enlighten me. Why is this an issue? Why can't we just turn old uranium mines into waste facilities? It's not like the depleted uranium is any more dangerous than the uranium that was harvested from the mine in the first place.

>What is K-19

Waste is an issue because many countries have banned fuel recycling, like the US. So instead of pulling the actual waste out of "spent" nuclear fuel rods and then reusing the over 95% remaining good fuel we try to find some geological repository that will keep them safe for the 100k years that it takes a fuel rod to return down to background radiation levels.

Of course if you pull out the true waste, the intensely radioactive bits that also poison the reaction process in the reactor, you end up with stuff that returns down to background levels in about 300 years. All the other moderately radioactive bits can be thrown back into recycled fuels rods and reused in a number of different designs. Fast reactors are especially good at working with nasty fuels and achieving very good burnup.

So its really a political issue of our own creation and not a actual physical issue with the reactors.

well, it's both. Recycling is still not perfect today, the thing France does is a first step.

Looks like something out of a 90s sci-fi anime

This is why we should have allowed the IFR to finish its planned testing instead of killing it 3 years early. It had a way of pyroprocessing the fuel instead of chemically dissolving it that was easier and required less steps and avoided making pure plutonium as one of the steps like current chemical processing does.

Of course the proliferation reasons we claimed to have banned chemical processing for are kinda dumb, the US was going to keep the US from getting/making nuclear weapons by recycling? If it was under any sort of proper control why would we worry about other countries getting it from our reprocessing?

One perfectly valid reason for not reprocessing everything is currently it is a lot cheaper to just mine new uranium and enrich it than it is to reprocess fuel. Also with most current lightwater reactors we use they don't take well to too much recycled fuel content and would still need a lot of new material anyways.

But planning ahead for better recycling makes a whole lot more sense than the massive fiasco that was Yucca Mountain that we spent $12 Billion so we could throw away fuel that was 5% used. Our best bet now is to just have some temporary storage for current "spent" fuel and then start seriously looking into an IFR of various MSR or DSMR designs to use that. We seriously have more than 100 years of energy already mined and waiting to be used if it could just be reprocessed.