It's time to get rid of my XFX Radeon 7970 graphics card and find a replacement...

It's time to get rid of my XFX Radeon 7970 graphics card and find a replacement. What card should I go for with a budget of about 400 bucks?

Pic related. It's my current card.

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/2015/11/24/amd-kills-gpu/
neowin.net/news/nvidia-ends-full-driver-support-for-legacy-gpus-older-than-the-gtx-400
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wait for Vega or some shit, or shill out another 100$ for a 1070

Make sure to only buy premium Nvidia quality my friend. You have a chance to remove poo from your GPU so please don't waste it. My personal recommendation would be to up your budget and buy the GTX 1080, the most powerful graphics card on the market and superior to any poo in loo AMD offering.

Spend another 100 and get a 1070.

A 1070 can be had for around 400-450. I got an EVGA SC 1070 for 440.

>Radeon HD 7000 Series Released: January 9, 2012
Considering you are on 4 years old GPU, you either want something expensive for another 4 years:
GTX1070
RX480 (depends on which is your favorite team)

Or when you are cheapskate:
GTX980 from older generation, prices are dropping crazy.
Never EVER go for 970, unless they give it to you for free.

Remember to get custom models (better prices, cooling, OC) and maybe pick up producers with 3 years warranty like EVGA or Sapphire.

Look around the corner for Fury. That thing was going for $300 last couple of days new.

You might be able to get 980ti for around $350, which is a good deal.

the rx 490

this desu

>480
no
if you want something thats gonna last you another 4 years get a 1070,I heard that theyr actually selling for a little above the MSRP now.

Remember how long your card lasted in your next purchase. My 760 is already shit and I hate nvidia for it

I'm upgrading from 7850 to an rx 480, but with that budget you could probably get a gtx 1070.

if are buying gpus every 4 years id wait for the 490 and make a decision. 1070 is a solid choice but AMD cards tend to improve more over time so theres a good chance it will be priced lower initially and then eventually beat the 1070.
On the other hand if you want to buy a new card every year and sell last years card before it loses too much value, then i would just get the 1070. non founders oc

OP here. I was actually looking into the RX 480. It seems like a good card for that price.

Its the best perf / dollar card you can get atm and has a good potential to get better with increasing prevalence of low level apis, and will be good for 1080p for a long time. It's what i would choose in your position as long as you're on 1080p

Buy a Fury, they are going cheap for like 350

I just got a 960 and am lovin it bro.
But where at? I've only seen fury x as low as 400 on newegg

It's decent. The 1060 offers pretty much the same Price/Performance ratio, though it looks better when you compare AIB cooler cards vs. ref blowers.

If you're not going to drop cash on a G-Sync monitor, a 480 is the way to go, though. Freesync is a lot cheaper to get into.

>Novidya
>last you another 4 years

LMAO pick one

microcenter.com/product/458976/Radeon_NITRO_R9_Fury_4GB_HBM_Overclocked_Video_Card

Yeah but that's just a walk-in store only isn't it?

Calm down fanboy,dosent matter what memes you shill a 1070 is still going to be a better card down the line.

It is 299 on newegg but they are sold out right now.

Just got a Fury X at $352

reeee
yeah I just bought a 960 at bbuy to play doom lol
getting shit on by these hoes:
(ch-checked)
I really want to get one but that 4GB tho. Plus I'd have to shell out for a 1440p if I rolled that big. It's a big card!

Can't you return it?

Of course.
I'm getting sick of going in though. My 2nd monitor and 3rd PSU from there. I was just looking at parts last time and saw a couple yellow shirts laughing. Saw one of them walking out with my mom today and actually laughed out loud.

15-day return policy FTW

it goes like this

>waiting for HBM options?
get a rx470/480 and sell it when the new standard drops

>need it now?
gtx 1070 and pray nvidia wont screw you over with their HBM cards.

A 7970 is still a really good card, just over clock it a little more for your gaming. It's been developed for the whole time as amd released 3 gens of the same archeticure. Your card holds up better than just about any other graphics card over time so unless you have money to just throw away money for the latest and greatest, you should wait until the 490 is released and then decide from there.

The 480 isn't a major performance upgrade and the 1070 won't add enough for you to be satisfied either.

If you are planning to upgrade I must ask what your CPU is, as upgrading too far from either team can cause some serious bottlenecking. Anything under a 2500k that's been over clocked will cause problems in this gen.

Personally I have a dual 7970 GHz edition setup and a 3570k, so I'm nice and comfy for another gen of waiting before any upgrade is really worth anything. I'd suggest looking for a cheap 7970 if you can find one, and you have enough airflow for the second card.

The card I have is already overclocked a bit. It's a black edition. Recently upgraded to a Intel Core i5-4690K processor with 3,50 Ghz, so that is all good.

>wait

>1080
>most powerful

I have a 7950 and 3570K myself. Would the Fury X and 6600K be a good upgrade?

Buy another 7970 and xfire

Yeah, but I'm not even sure you need to update that processor tho.

Xfire is and old game chat client.
You mean crossfire, and crossfire is still shit.
He'll get more performance with the Fury X

This is seriously terrible advice.

This waiting game is fairly stupid, don't buy old shit a month before the new things are coming out, obviously, but other than that just go ahead and get the best you can afford.

I don't understand how people who are waiting for some immense performance boost are unhappy with Pascal either, it's literally the biggest jump we've had in over half a decade and apparently it's still underwhelming. What exactly is expected of HBM2? That it's going to be some magical 150% performance jump? It's not. We'll be lucky to see another jump as big as Pascal in the near future.

X = cross

I know

Wow, a 3+ year old card isn't good anymore. What a surprise.

Wait for Vega and if they're not that good go for 1080.

When will vega be announced?

I bought a 980Ti for €300

Just buy a 750ti and OC the shit out of it

If your monitor is only 1080p 60hz you don't have any real reason to upgrade before you buy a 4k display

or buy an RX 480 with a 1080p 144hz display

Sell your 7970 for more of a budget, miners love them

Wait for Vega if you want another card that lasts that long
or get a GTX 1070 and have it become legacy by 2017

Always buy the best video card that you can afford at the time you are shopping unless there is a new card being released in the next couple of weeks.

That would be the 1070.

That's all AMDrones know how to do

>AMD

LOL

It lasted him 4 years while you Nvidiots have to spend a yearly 800 like buying a new phone

It lasted him four years because AMD didn't have the R&D bucks to make new cards and kept rebranding the 7970. Remind me again how long AMD supported non-GCN cards after GCN 1.0 launched?

No, it lasted him 4 years because AMD doesnt consider a card to be "legacy" after only 1 year

>after only 1 year
Really now? How long did AMD support non-GCN cards after they launched GCN1.0 or more specifically the Radeon 6000 series after the 7000 series launched? Also four years? Or closer to four months?

save $150 and get a 1060. literally twice as powerful with over 4x better performance per watt.

if you're really keen on futureproofing, wait for Vega or get a 1070, you can usually find them for around 440

no fuckin idea why i quoted that bait reply

The 6000 series was launched in October 2010 and mainline driver support ended for it in November 2015. I'm not exactly sure what your point is here, friend.

betanews.com/2015/11/24/amd-kills-gpu/

And all they've done is correctly move them to legacy status, meaning they're not kidding people into thinking that they're still working on performance updates for TeraScale. Whilst Nvidia are quite happy to fool gullible Fermi and Kepler owners into thinking that they're still hard at work optimising the latest gaymes to run on their fucking GTX 460.

AMD made a switch to a new architecture that they only keep improving year after year. Meanwhile planned obsolescence is Nvidia's business model

>mainline driver support
If we are going by driver support then Nvidia is even longer lasting in support. The 200 series cards had their latest update March 2016 so that would make them "non-legacy" by AMD standards for eight years now?

>AMD made a switch to a new architecture that they only keep improving year after year.
How far back did they incorporate new technology into older architectures, most notably non-GCN cards? I bring it up as I recall when CUDA was launched Nvidia included support for it with cards two generations back. IIRC, PhysX went even further. But I don't recall AMD ever doing anything like that most notably when they pretty much dropped any development for VLIW after they launched the GCN cards.

Uh, no. Nvidia's mainline driver supports back to the 400 series only. The 200 series and prior uses a much older branch (34x.xx) that's over two years old at its core. It's been well over two years since Nvidia ditched everything prior to the 400 series and moved it to legacy status, i.e. not pretending to update performance for it any more.

neowin.net/news/nvidia-ends-full-driver-support-for-legacy-gpus-older-than-the-gtx-400

Literally the only thing the March driver for Tesla cards did was fix a security hole in the driver. Thank you based Nvidia for releasing a driver with a serious security issue and then patching it.

And, incidentally, that was the final patch it'll be getting, as ALL support for everything prior to the 400 series ended on April 1st of this year.

>Uh, no.
Um, yes. See pic.

>mainline driver supports
Mainline? What's the difference between Nvidia "mainline" driver support and AMD "mainline" driver support?

>that's over two years old at its core
So Nvidia is lying when they state that the release date for 341.95 was 2016 they really mean it was 2014? Even if what you say is true that still makes Nvidia's support six years long on the 200 series which is STILL longer than AMD's support based upon drivers.