Best Uni Laptop

Hey, Sup Forums. Lurker here, I was curious if any of you had chromebooks that you felt were worth the purchase. I need a small laptop for uni classes, so I can write/read documents and program in class. I've got somewhere from 200 to 400 dollars that I could spend on it but obviously cheaper is better, I don't really see the need to spend a lot of money. I need a thin and light one, which is why I don't want a better laptop

Are chromebooks just a meme? I was going to install debian or mint on one. Should I just buy a thin laptop instead?

What happened to using a notebook and a pen? You can't go to school without a laptop anymore these days?

What happened to using a scroll and a quill? you can't go to school without a notebook and a pen anymore these days?

I do that already. I can't program with that though, and my heavy broken laptop that I am using to post this is on its last legs. 8 years, I think we've been together. Sad days.

i am waiting until google merges android & chromeOS then i am buying a chromebook with a touchscreen and then i can install any of the apps at google-playstore

What happened to using a stone and a hammer?You can't go to school without a scroll and a quill anymore these days?

You want to program with a chromebook?

Don't lie, you're majoring in poetry

with scroll and quill can you post comments on your facebook wall? No? Then it is not fit.

What happened to memorizing and retelling? You can't go to school without a stone and hammer anymore these days?

>in the library
pen and paper, your books, and all the books around you. use your smartphone for quick searches to look things up. use the library's desktop computers if necessary, e.g. you need to print.

>in lectures
NO note taking. if you're busy writing down what was said 5 seconds ago, you're not fully focused on what's being said right now. totally unproductive.
actively do nothing but listen and absorb. record the audio with your smartphone or a dictaphone. re-listen later and transcribe or take notes from that if you need to.

>in your room
desktop with a big monitor at eye level. laptops are horrible for posture and your eyes (small text, causes unnecessary strain)

Anyone who argues with this is a total faggot and/or a product shill.

Is an Alienware 15 laptop any good for a mechanical engineering student?

Do you want me to pull out my tower in class and make my group members lug it around or something

Sounds good, in theory. Can anyone vouch for it in practice.

>Alienware
As a general rule of thumb, stay away from Alienware. Overpriced because they're popular with the gaming community.

What major are you? I only ask because that essentially determines the functions you'll need from it

Computer Engineering, in the US. I also have another computer that isn't mobile so hardware isn't really an issue if I'm not in class or at a friend's place

That lecture shit doesn't work if you go to a nigger-tier Uni where the faggots won't stop talking, and every second on the second you ask yourself why your parents had to jew out over college anyway

All that other stuff is legit though

The c300 is good, you're getting x86 ( celeron ) so full compatibility with crouton ( 4 loonix )

Honestly I would look into getting a Chromebook. They're super compact, lightweight, and have awesome battery. You'lre pretty much guaranteed to have WiFi anywhere on campus or, if you really have to, a coffee place with wifi. Like you said, you have a desktop or other computer with the necessary hardware. The only thing you'll be doing for this is note taking, writing papers, and doing homework online. If need be just carry around a flash drive with whatever programs you need to complete programming homework on the go, as well as files for movies, music and games for down time away from home.

You'll spend around $200 on a decent one which, for what you get, is a great deal. Plus most come with a year or so of Google Drive, which is an added bonus

Things that laptops are useful for other than notes:
>Lecture slides
>Pirated textbooks
>Calendar
>Email
>Programming
>Online quizzes (school ones, not FB shit)
>Avoiding the smelly Sup Forumsmen in the computer labs

Chromebooks are great. I had an Acer c720 that I bought for $140, it was light, quick and the battery lasted for 6 hours easily.

I used Crouton to run Ubuntu alongside chromeos and I was really impressed at how adequate it was. Would recommend

I'll probably get this one
amazon link
/Lenovo-80SF0001US-11-6-N3050-16GB/dp/B01CVKKZ60/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

See

Chromebook. Done

Yeah I decided to get one. I'll probably get a tiny 64 GB dongle as well
see my post

The official joke for chromebook users is to pronounce Chrome OS "Chrome-ee-ohs" I don't know what it is, but me and like 5 other people in my school all did this without talking about it beforehand

>notebook and pen
What ever happened to using a stone and chisel? You can't write a memo without a notebook and pen these days?

IdeaPad 100s

>stone and chisel
Whatever happened to oral traditions passed down through generations around cooking fires? you fags can't relate information to your children and your children's children through storytelling anymore?

Fuck off, no student is ever going to NEED a laptop of any kind. Just loosen up your wimpshit wrist and get to writing everything out on paper. For assignments and shit, just use the damn library or your home desktop. However, if you're insistent on having something for mobile computing get a Chromebook and install a Linux distribution on it. It's the cheapest and most effective solution to your shitter problem

Pirated Textbooks and watching movies since my apartment doesn't have a TV

You do realize technology is made to make life easier. Throwing a tantrum over using a laptop to take notes doesn't make you the slightest bit superior. You're just another gear in the "back in my day..." machine.

Actually, the act of physically writing the notes has been shown to increase retention. So, you are right there.

Chromebooks are shit, though.

Since this is a college rec thread I'll just ask
I'm going to study Mech.Engineering undergrad soon, what laptop would you recommend? I don't expect to do much heavy lifting from the thing if what the older students tell me holds
why are you so mad, gramps? connectivity is extremely helpful to any kind of student

Lenovo T420.

If you want a brand new laptop just got for a mac because everything else has fucking win 10 cancer on it
If you don't mind second handed, Thinkpad T240

Get a Chromebook and use Crouton to install Ubuntu. I have an Asus C200 and it's easily the best laptop I've owned. 12 hour battery and cheap enough that if it breaks, it won't break the bank to replace it.

Already can on some Chromebooks

MacBook Air (Mid 2012)

Whatever you do don't waste hundreds on this shit

I use a Asus Chromebook Flip for uni, I recommend it. Rock solid build quality, great keyboard, smooth performance. Only issue I've had is the odd random reboot.

Hands down a Chromebook. Made me extremely productive. Forces you to be an adult against your will. MacBook later on as an upgrade.

MBP

dude, take notes in class, dont just "listen"

the rest is true, dont bring a laptop to class, unless for programming.
note taking only with pen + paper.

study with your notes + book. Use your laptop or tower at home to search things you dont understand. no need to take a laptop with you, in most cases.

cheap laptop + good monitor is the best combination imho.

grow some balls and tell the people to shut the fuck up or get out.
your professor will also be thankful for that

>not just wiping whatever shit comes preinstalled
But yeah, T420 is the patrician choice. You can even run OS X flawlessly on it if you ever feel so inclined

Jokes on you i have the immunity cat

Can vouch: does work, although I used a laptop hooked up to a monitor and keyboard (comp-sci, so some classes did actually require you to bring your computer along). However, you will be made fun of in the beginning as nearly everyone brings their laptop or a tablet to every class, mostly to play angry birds or to die a slow mental death on social media.

Just graduated as a bsme. We used solidworks, matlab, and office as far as software went. It's not completely necessary but a laptop with a quadro/firepro chip would be ideal. The thinkpad 430 should fit the bill.

This guy studies!

Its proven writing things down greatly improves memory retention as opposed to just listening or typing. Stop memeing

Yeah but if your goal is to take your notes in the way that will allow you to retain information as best as possible writing notes is proven vastly superior to typing them. I've been in college for years now and I used to use my laptop in class, before I realized it was fucking pointless and all anyone ever uses them for is facebooking in between typing notes. Nine times out of ten a student who says they need a laptop to take notes is bullshitting themselves and wants it for other reasons than note taking in class.

>Anyone who argues with this is a total faggot and/or a product shill.

There is nowhere in my house that I can study productively, so I have to type my papers and do my research on my laptop in the school library to get anything done.

Also, for note taking the mistake most people make is trying to write everything down verbatim. Summarize on the fly, increases memory retention more than simply listening and writing it down improves retention even further.

Otherwise I agree with your post. Its literally been proven writing notes is better than typing them on a laptop in class.

No thanks I'm not going to waste that money

a laptop seems overkill. a tablet is more discreet. a laptop makes you seem like "that guy". also the typing on the keys can piss the professor off.

does the OS matter for computer science classes?

>a laptop makes you seem like "that guy"

Where the fuck do you live where bringing a laptop to a lecture is weird?

when classroom, the physical room, is tiny its very annoying to hear the keys click. pen and paper or tablet isnt annoying.

A chromebook is usually a good choice because they do standard stuff well enough while having good battery life and being relatively lightweight.

It all boils down to what are you going to actually use it for.

If he's going into his first year, which it sounds like he is, odds are his lectures are going to have 400 people anyways

BEST UNI LAPTOP WILL ALWAYS BE MACBOOK AIR

OR PRO FOR ENGINEERING STUDENTS

ANYTHING ELSE IS IGNORED AND REPORTED. RRRREEEEEEEEEE

I have used a chromeobook in college for multiple years.

First of all you can definitely write documents in it with ms word online.

Second of all you can definitely program on it if you rent a computer and ssh into it with the ssh extension in chrome.

So nobody in this thread whine about not having ms office or not being able to program.

Is the ASUS ZenBook UX305CA any good?

>listening to an entire lecture without taking notes just to listen to the entire lecture just to find the parts that are worth taking notes for
you've never been a college student have you? no college student actually wastes their time like that unless they are retarded and need to

year of linux desktop

>storytelling
What's wrong with this generation? Can't you just leave cave paintings on rocks for people to learn from?

>implying a human can handwrite as fast as a professor teaches

>actually taking notes when you can just download the lecture slides or read the relevant part of the textbook
>not using SRS software to memorise everything you need to
>actually using a laptop in class

You mean paying attention instead of playing with your electronic devices?
I don't think millennials are capable of that.

Learning from cave paintings?Are you stupid?

You already knew everything back in the Garden of Eden, why the hell would you need anything else?

>tfw muh handwriting is completely unreadable by me or by others

>nobody mentions the surface

it's expensive as shit, but worth it 100%

I use both. You're a fucking pleb if you don't have a laptop

get a mac unless you're poor. people will laugh at you if you bring a lenovo to a normie degree

What happened to reeds and clay tablets? You can't go to school without a notebook and a pen anymore?

Asus x205ta is what I got, £150, can run Microsoft office fine, not too small, 11.6 inch screen, 1366x768, 2gbram, 32gb emmc, weighs just under a kilo, 10-12 hour battery life using it for web browsing and word documents.

I just charge it and take it with me anywhere so I have a windows device incase a need it, don't notice it in my bag and the battery life is insane, also pretty cheap for a poorfag like me