Vanished phone features

>tfw IR blasters are all but gone

What phone features you liked have dissappeared?

That hover touch thing on the galaxy S4 which did shit when your finger was just above the screen. That could have so much potential

actual buttons
decent battery life
being able to drop them without worrying about breaking them
not being part of a botnet

>tfw no physical camera buttons

Expandable memory.

removable battery

3.5mm audio jack

What do you mean? Both chinkphones I was considering when I bought mine had an ir blaster.
>redmi 3 pro
>leagoo elite 5

I miss really powerful vibration motors. My first phone was a nokia brick, and when it would get a call, it would shake the entire table. When my new phone vibrates in my pocket, I can barely feel it.

Which phone?

Only had that problem with my iPhone 5 so far, but I haven't tried every phone so I'm curious

IR
actual buttons
decent batteries
actual good build quality
3.5mm (i'll miss you)
actual vibration motors

London?

Android eliminating (not sure if all devices) physical bottom buttons was terrible.
This trend of expandable memory is fucking cancer

Also apple setting the trend to eliminate audio jacks is kinda fucking lame.

I have noticed vibrate function in post 2012 is nearly unnoticeable if its in anything but pressed tightly against you in your pocket.

At least decent battery life is gonna come back again.

Can't fit proper motors and weights inside these paper thin phones senpai.

>nearly unnoticeable if its in anything but pressed tightly against you in your pocket.
optimized for skinny jeans

>removable battery
>easily removable sim card
>sd card slot
These are all straight downgrades

>Also apple setting the trend to eliminate audio jacks is kinda fucking lame.
Rumors. That's all. Some Android makers will fall for it and will be the pioneers.
Pioneers get the arrows.

These are commonplace in new phones, stop buying apple products

removable battery is on life support
dedicated camera button
soon to be 3.5mm headphone jack, fuck you apple

good thing micro sd slot is making a comeback

the nexus series never has good battery life which is stupid

My V10 still has one and anything else I could need. Hope the V20 keeps it.

Physical keyboard
Doesn't look like a generic glass slate
Method of input other than touchscreen

At least the Q10 and Classic are decently new, I should be able to get another 4+ years before I drop phones altogether or move on to whatever bullshit is out then

How is battery life, famalam?
Thinking about buying one to replace my G Pro 2.

Except LG's current flagship, the G5, has an IR blaster.

I agree, but there are literally a couple of phones with removable batteries nowadays. That's definitely a downgrade.

being able to drop your phone and not break it
not having the battery degrade over four years
being able to jailbreak my phone

I miss the days where you could use a phone as an alarm.
They had a keyboard so you could easily write long texts on it.
They had a hardware button so you could answer a call every time.

I never missed an alarm before, never missed calls or spent 5 minutes writing a text before smartphones.

I mean they are better gaming devices but worse in every regard that matters.

>I miss the days where you could use a phone as an alarm.
What? "Timely"?

> They had a keyboard so you could easily write long texts on it.
Bluetooth keyboard? Swiftkey?

> They had a hardware button so you could answer a call every time.
Any Samsung can do this. HTC, Sony too.

Samsung

Sony.

Samsung Xcover3.

FM radio transmitter.
Used to have it on my old Nokia, shit was cash i could play music from my phone on any stereo back then.

Press F to pay respect to Symbian OS

> literally 1$ on ebay.

> Snapdildo news
Well, that's a gay move.
Just like when Sony removed the fingerprint scanner from the US models.

Mechanical lock switch.

>literally

Why do you use that word?

>not having the battery degrade over four years

That never happened.

Replacing the battery after a few years was very common.
In fact: many manufacturers now solder the battery on just to make you buy a new phone.

literally

I remember on my old nokias I could set an alarm and then turn off the phone, it would turn on and trigger the alarm

They are about $12

But yeah, that "literally $1" in Millennial talk.

Xperia devices have a dedicated shutter button.

And some of the best cameras on the market.

Whaaat?
Nigga I have one because my old van had no AUX input, it was 1$ or so. What the fug

the pre smartphone era had phones which could turn the phone on when the alarm went off.
This meant that you could always rely on the alarm.
Modern alarms are software based, which means the software must be running for the alarm to work.
So you can't get home, plug your phone in and go to sleep, you have to wait for it to charge, unplug it, wait a few seconds, turn it on, plug it back in.

Blootooth keyboards (even usb ones) all suffer from the fatal flaw that they are big clunky and external.
I don't want a laptop, I want a damn phone.

it is true samsung phones have a button for these things, but google wants to remove all buttons for some reason.

So my choices are between a phone that doesn't get updates or a phone with physical buttons.

>Rumors
it's literally confirmed u faggot. leave Sup Forums once in a while

This. FM radio transmitters going is a huge loss. I can't find a single modern phone with one, and I would buy it immediately if I could. My car stereo is FM/AM/CDs, and the CD player seems to have no shock or vibration resistance. Every third party FM transmitter I've had requires batteries, which is a pain in the ass, or microusb charging while in use, which means my phone dies.

So I'm stuck listening to radio one. fuck that shit.

>Every third party FM transmitter I've had requires batteries
just about every one i see go into the cigarette lighter socket

ITT: consumerist murrican problems

FM radio is almost mandatory here since it's a deal breaker for normies, they just will not buy a phone if it doesnt have it. The feature was only removed in models aimed at markets where subscription radio is a thing

The 3,5" jack isn't going anywhere, the iphone is not that relevant as you think

Even phones with non-removable batteries can get a new one in their neirest tech repair shop

Source:
My mom is still roking her S3 and has no intention to replace it and my sister got the battery of her Moto g3 replaced because it was draining, and doesn't want to do a factory reset or even root the thing

>So you can't get home, plug your phone in and go to sleep, you have to wait for it to charge, unplug it, wait a few seconds, turn it on, plug it back in.

The fuck are you talking about? You don't turn your phone off, you plug your phone in and that's it. That's the only step before you go to bed. You don't need to fully charge the phone, unplug it, turn it on and then set the alarm. What the fuck phone do you use?

Ha!

Noobs.

The droid incredible had an optical camera for scrolling that also served as a button. It was really nice for moving the cursor around inside text fields. Wish something like it would make a comeback.

a lot of smartphones allow you to trigger the camera with the volume keys

Fuck this shit about FM Radios, every phone with a Wi-Fi chip can receive FM Radio, but for some reason only 30% of phones have this feature, you'd have to settle on a crappy $50 Android phone if you want FM, but on flagships, it's almost nowhere to be found. I'm sure removing 2 traces on the motherboard really saves that much space and a couple of cents over the whole production of the phone.

Camera buttons usually are 2 stage buttons. Half press for holding focus and exposure, full press for taking the picture.
Touch to focus isn't good on most phones and locking is very fucky compared to just having a button.

Even flagships when built for latin america have FM radio enabled, of course, not all of them are available

Yes, which then means I can't charge my phone. That's the issue.

Samshit S7 Active

Does the active have an IR blaster?

>Expandable memory.
>3.5mm audio jack
>dedicated camera button
>use a phone as an alarm.
>Mechanical lock switch.
Didn't even know about all these things being phased out. Glad I still didn't fall for the smartphone meme.

I have this on my samsung brick, but desu no reason to use it because the battery lasts a month anyway.

>literally 3 of the 4 in the picture have usb charging ports on them

Doesnt mean it delivers enough power to charge his phone. my stupid s6 takes literally 6 hours to fully charge if I dont use the "fast charger"

even the cheapest on there do 2.1A, that should be plenty

Lumia phones have 2-stage camera buttons. Too bad Windows Phones have literally no apps.

>dedicated camera button
This is sort of a thing on some androids. I think you can enable power button to take a picture, as well as double pressing the power button to launch the camera.

Get a second fast charge adapter for when you forget to charge your shit first. The fm receiver should keep it at the same level at least.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my xiaomi redmi 3 does this. It even mentions what time it'll turn back on when you tap the power off option.

Landscape keyboards. Slider ones.

I will kill an entire family for one on a decent modern phone.

Back when I first got an mp3 player I imagined / drawn what wonderful things you could do with a larger device.

I put on there a large touch screen , speakers on both sides + a dedicated speakers on the back for lower frequencies , 1 usb port on either side , micro sd slot , 3.5mm jack and an additional silding screen that acts as a slide out keyboard.

At first I wanted an actual keyboard then thought that having a customizable layout would be pretty neat. Now , is there anything out there remotely close to that concept ?

Normal sized, non shit Android phones. Would it kill Samsung to shrink S7 Edge to 4"-4'3", have the same hardware with 720p screen and smaller battery to deal with it and sell it for 400-500 bucks?

Motorola already did it.

>android phone without a removable battery
How do you save it when it completely locks up and doesn't respond to buttons?