Your Pirate Code? (rev up those VPNs big brother MAFIAA is watching)

What's your personal pirate code, Sup Forums? What's fair game to pirate or otherwise infringe copyright, and what's not? Is there a line you wouldn't cross?

100% A-OK, and fuck greedy Jews who say otherwise:
>stripping ebook DRM with Calibre
>backing up digital goods that you own
>burning your own copies of purchased media for personal, noncommercial use
>ripping optical media (DVD, Blu-Ray) to digitize your home movie collection
>pirating/emulating games you legally purchased
>Adblocking ad-supported websites, as long as you follow Rules 1 and 2 of fight club and don't promote the extension to friends

Maybe a little shaky, but OK in moderation:
>unauthorized digital resale
>"pirating" goods and services you can't obtain legally in your country with VPN/proxies
>region-unlocking smuggled/imported DVDs you bought cheaply abroad
>grey market Russian Steam keys
>sharing digital accounts with close friends and family
>pirating old versions of Windows to test out VMs
>sticking it to the man when a product has really Draconian DRM that punishes paying customers (think Simcity 2013 or Sony CD Rootkits)

pirate everything xdd

I'm willing to pirate anything that has drm.

Tantamount to theft but I still do it occasionally:
>Jailbroken smartphone apps that modify memory in F2P scam games to bypass microtransactions
>Sideloaded pirated paid Android apps
>Pirated AAA games by companies you hate (Activision, EA, etc.)
>Pirated movies to hate-watch out of Morbid curiosity (Star Wars Prequels, Hollywood garbage like Battleship or The Expendable 2/3)
>Pirating stuff you can legally, cheaply obtain but choose not to
>Pirating proprietary software when there's better Free software out there
>Pirating whole discographies of artists who think theyre too good for Spotify (Taylor Swift, King Crimson, etc.)
>Pirating ebooks off IRC when I could've legally bought them and stripped off the DRM

You Bastard:
>pirating indie games you could've waited to but on Steam or GOG sales for pennies
>pirating smaller, independent works in general
>pirating The Witcher 3 after CDPR were more than generous to sell their masterpiece DRM-free
>profiting from piracy
>claiming you didn't hurt sales if you could've legally purchased something
>feeling entitled to media because artists should just be happy to make art

No regrets mode:
>anime, fuck the streaming jew, fuck DVD prices
>games I bought in the past that I have lost the discs to
>games I bought in the past for consoles, fuck you I'm not paying $20 to play this ancient game once in a blue moon
>games for systems now entirely on the secondary market wii/360/ps3 and back at this point

Necessarily evil mode:
>see if I actually like a game before I buy it because lol what's a demo? (yes I have bought them on multiple occasions AC4, Skyrim, Metro, a few others) I usually don't finish the game anyway

Shouldn't but do anyway mode:
>movies because I rarely watch them more than once, those I do are normally so old that selling me a copy is just a few more coins in Scrooge McDuck's vault pool
>TV shows because convenience and occasionally pricing restrictions

Really I pirate almost everything but music now just because Spotify is honestly more convenient than pirating. I pirate less when I have money though (mostly on games) so if I'm working I'm more likely to buy a game than pirate it.

I have no pirate code. I will pirate literally anything. I am less likely to pirate indie games, since they are cheap, and the developers could reasonably stand to be able to eat.

I pirate things I don't wanna pay for

>profiting from piracy
I would have no regrets reporting someone directly to the FBI if they were profiting from this shit. Piracy is about sharing. If you're selling cracked shit, you deserve to rot. If I'm going to pay for something, I'm going to pay the artist.

if i need it and i dont have it and it costs money and it's available online i pirate it, there are no exceptions or rules

Basically this except I do buy some anime, manga, and videogames. Some academic books can just fuck off with their retarded prices.

Pirate anything where it's easier to pirate than pay.

pirating movies was the fastest and easiest way to watch stuff. Once Netflix got big with lots of titles I stopped pirating movies for the most part because it's easier to pay for it than take the hassle to pirate.

New TV shows? Pirate, because getting cable, with all the networks I want, a DVR (where I still need to watch or fast forward through ads) and setting all that up is not only expensive but time consuming. RSS feeds and auto downloads with all the ads stripped is much easier.

Music? Fuck that shit is real pain in the ass, digital downloads from a zillion different sites , most not in CD quality, so I might as well buy the CD, fuck now I gotta rip it? Who's got a CD-ROM in 2016? Spotify is okay. Little expensive and spotty selection in some areas

games, once digital downloads became a thing pirating games and dealing with patches and cracks and other garbage just wasn't worth the time. Easier to pay up or wait for prices to drop.

It's a fine balance between price and convenience. Companies need to learn folks will pay when it's easier and not crazy expensive.

Like fuck HBO, I'm not paying a bunch of money to watch 8 episode season on HBO.

Tons of private trackers ask for a fee. Like sure you can get a invite, but when you can pay for ratio and a invite thats slimy as fuck.

Private trackers in general are anti sharing.

Pirate
>Old out-of-print anime that goes for hundreds on eBay
>An old movie that I'd like to see once but don't want to buy
>Music (but if you like them, buy the merch!)
>Abandonware (Need for Speed: Most Wanted '05, DOS games)

I also rip/digitize what I own. Additionally, if I like something, I need a copy. I don't like licenses hopping around Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Don't pirate
>If you're at the concert and CDs aren't sold out
>If the DVD is staring you in the face. If you want to see it and you're at the store, just get it
>If its in a Humble Bundle (it's dirt cheap, and you don't have to pay the devs if you don't want to)
>...very often (every torrent carries risks of malware, and would undo everything)

I really don't pirate any more. I'll grab some very, very old games here and there but I won't download movies or TV (nearly all of it is fucking shit anyway and the few that aren't I want to show support for by buying exactly because there's so much shit I want to say "thank you for not making shit"), I won't download music unless I actually had a copy of some piece of music at one time that I no longer physically have, games aren't worth pirating, generally, since they're mostly shit and the ones that aren't are all on PC and all go on deep sales somewhere or the other, and I use free software so fuck pirating Windows and other malware software garbage.

Most wanted '05. My nigga

I pirate everything except cp. I like to fund struggling industries.

I don't pirate a whole lot, but usually when I do it's because I don't have enough cash to afford the thing I'm looking for.

Music is one I don't usually have many hangups about unless it's a smaller artist who's not the type who already has millions, but I mostly just stream stuff these days since it's just simpler than curating a whole collection of physical media or digital files.

I don't personally run into the situation a lot but in my opinion it's totally fine to pirate if there's no legal/cheap way to get the thing you're pirating in your country, like when people pirate Game of Thrones and other HBO shit for instance.

Another instance (again not one I run into too often) regardless of country is stuff like games or movies/shows where the original creators wouldn't see a dime of the money if you did actually pay for it, or if the game or movie/show isn't available in a cheap format anymore.

>Always pirate college textbooks. All of them. Everything under the sun.
>Never ever pirate indie games and never pirate small musician that I heard on youtube.
> Pirate p2w android apps.
> Pirate EA games. ALWAYS. Even if I am not going to play it.

Probably only things i can't acquire legally.

Pirate everything. Pay for whatever I can and want to.

Anything I can get for free I pirate, otherwise I don't bother unless I really want it. Don't have to justify myself because I just don't care.

anything thats not private documents

Whatever I feel like doing. Tons of free movie streaming out there, bad quality, but fuck dling for 20 minutes. Nothing that can't be downloaded, for example, a bear.

>Nothing that can't be downloaded, for example, a bear

You wouldn't anyway.

you wouldn't torrent a bear.

Is it morally okay to pirate old works like books from the 1800s or silent movies? Everyone involved in their production is dead.

Those are probably public domain by now.

Dude they're all on the public domain anyway.

Right, but I like to read foreign works that have been translated from German, French, Russian, etc. And are high definition transfers of public domain silent films still fair game? Someone went to the effort of scanning quality elements and correcting damage. Also, not all of them are public domain.

There is no "code". There is no "stealing is okay when...". It's either theft, or it's not.

I just don't believe it's theft. If anything, enforcing copyright is theft, extortion, and censorship all done in the name of making moderately profitable hobbies into centralized multibillion dollar industries - possibly doing ill to the economy and the country (a big label that's greedy enough to want profit from every single copy is better at evading taxes than a lone concert band that only wants money for physical goods and services because they're not jews, and the former is more likely to sit on large amounts of funds than the latter).

>claiming you didn't hurt sales if you could've legally purchased something

You hurt humanity when you decided to shitpost on Sup Forums instead of becoming a heart surgeon

You ruined someones life when you decided to be alone instead of their bf

:^)

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Pirate anything

I'll do whatever the easiest option is, which is usually paying for it.

I guess I'm profiting from piracy, then, because I use pirated programs to make software that I sell for money.

>feeling entitled to media because artists should just be happy to make art
They should either
A. Do commissions
B. Do concerts/bars/clubs

I ain't paying for them to sit on their ass.

I'd download a car if could.

I download YT videos so I don't need an account to watch, I pirate TV series if they are not on Netflix... It is not because I don't have money, I just don't have time for their bullshit. If they wanted to make money, they would have found a way to sell their product to me.

I can afford it
>Buy it
I can't afford it
>Pirate it

100% A-OK, and fuck greedy Jews who say otherwise:
>backing up digital goods that you own
>burning your own copies of purchased media for personal, noncommercial use
>ripping optical media (DVD, Blu-Ray) to digitize your home movie collection
>pirating/emulating games you legally purchased
>Adblocking ad-supported websites, as long as you follow Rules 1 and 2 of fight club and don't promote the extension to friends
>"pirating" goods and services you can't obtain legally in your country with VPN/proxies
>region-unlocking smuggled/imported DVDs you bought cheaply abroad
>sharing digital accounts with close friends and family
>grey market Russian Steam keys
>pirating old versions of Windows to test out VMs

Maybe a little shaky, but OK in moderation:
>sticking it to the man when a product has really Draconian DRM that punishes paying customers (think Simcity 2013 or Sony CD Rootkits)

Not okay under any circumstances. Not even mentioning the risks aren't worth it:
>unauthorized digital resale

If I can, I pirate. If I can't, I don't bother. I use free/open software when possible and at least report bugs if don't contribute otherwise.

>pirate code
What is this bullshit.
Just download whatever you want unless you want a collection/need a paying feature.

>>region-unlocking smuggled/imported DVDs you bought cheaply abroad
Honestly this is bullshit. I wish the judgment that happened with books applied here too. Basically the court ruled that publishers can't stop books legally purchased in a cheap country like india being resold by an unauthorized seller back in the US.

I pretty much only do movies because of the crap they put on Blurays before you finally get to the movie and music because there's not much worth paying a cent for. TV is fucking horseshit so I don't watch it except for the footy so I'll watch a pirate stream if it isn't on FTA because fuck paying for Foxtel for maximum 30 hours of use a year.

I have done the odd game or 2 but only because I wanted to see what they were like.

Also fuck paywalls for news articles, I post clean links on Facebook all the time because that shit don't fly with me!

I have a few simple rules really
>Big brand shit is fair game
>Ebooks are fine, i'm going to/have already bought the book in paperback anyway
>Don't even think about pirating from a small little company which is having enough trouble as it is
>Feel free to pirate most music, some you need to give recompense for
>If you see anyone selling pirated movies on the street set their groin on fire
>Emuparadise and coolroms are fine, and will always take the games down if asked to.

This.