Freetards can only dream of having a professional filesystem such as NTFS...

freetards can only dream of having a professional filesystem such as NTFS, which supports instant search without the need of frequently building up databases with all files on your disk.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Journaling
linuxfoundation.org/publications/linux-foundation/who-writes-linux-2015
github.com/DoTheEvo/ANGRYsearch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>which supports instant search without the need of frequently building up databases with all files on your disk.
Except Windows 7 search has to do exactly that. Without indexing enabled, it's utterly useless for actually finding files.

I didn't say that Windows doesn't index files for some reason (maybe to index its contents too).

But you can install a third-party tool like UltraSearch or Everywhere and have REAL TIME RESULTS without a database/indexing. It just works.

ext4 and other Loonix file systems will never have that because of their archaic "journaling" system.

NTFS is a journaling file system too

no, its not. ultrasearch/everywhere read straight from its TABLE, which journaling aka hobbyist systems lack

> he does not remember where he puts his files

#lel

>no, its not
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Journaling

Whatever, it just makes hobbyist systems like ext4 even inferior not supporting instant search

You're really bad at this whole trolling thing. Go get more practice on By the way, that's the only board trolling's actually allowed in.

Are you anti free software?

Pointing out that NTFS is superior than the hobbyist shit on your computer makes me a troll?

I'm sorry for not keeping you inside your "Linux is great!!!!!1111!" bubble.

I'm for quality software. The day Linux filesystems have instant search without indexing, I'll praise them too.

Off my board!

>Pointing out that NTFS is superior than the hobbyist shit on your computer makes me a troll?
Yes, because the only thing NTFS is superior to is HFS+.

Too bad it gets fragmented really easy.

>wincucks will actually PAY for an "operating system" that doesn't have a working search function

There's no excuse for using HDDs for your operating system when SSDs are cheap as fuck today.

It works as good as the Linux search (i.e. only if you turn indexing on), with the extreme benefit of allowing you to use Ultrasearch or Everywhere. BTW Windows 10 was free :)

Yeah but this is a search function, so you'd be searching files on your storage drive, which is clearly an HDD unless you're retarded

it's only true if you want to seach files by filenames

>It works as good as the Linux search (i.e. only if you turn indexing on), with the extreme benefit of allowing you to use Ultrasearch or Everywhere.
Except indexing uses a lot of CPU and battery at inopportune times, and it doesn't work on removable media. Whereas Windows XP search worked much better than Windows 7 search and didn't require indexing.

Jesus Christ what is this? Why are Windows and Apple retards still allowed here?

>muh non-free software
>it just werks
>muh libraries

Are you one of the dinosaurs who think that SSDs still can't be used for storage? We aren't in 2009 anymore, gramps. My modern SSDs will outlive you.
Exactly, Linux does just that. On Windows you can disable it and use instant search instead with Ultrasearch or Everywhere.

>Windows
>Non-free

Ahahah. PC is freedom as in freedom to pirate everything I fucking want.

Linux only exists because it's endorsed and programmed by the same kind of "evil capitalist corporations" that you seem to hate, idiot: linuxfoundation.org/publications/linux-foundation/who-writes-linux-2015

What?

Yes, but being free, open-source software, it means individual users have control of the software. If you don't like something about your Linux distro, you can change it. Whereas Windows is closed source, meaning you can't even KNOW what it's doing behind the scenes, and it's all or nothing; the only way to escape the botnet is to avoid Windows completely.

Firstly it is GNU/Linux. The whole point of free software is that any one can work on it. If you think this link serves as evidence for anything, you are the true idiot here.

At least people can work together on something, in comparison to Microsoft, which holds a complete jeopardy over the entirety of its non free OS

The control you have is limited by the thousands of inconsistencies and incompatibilities among all dozens of distributions, releases, desktop environments etc. Also, on Windows any advanced user or professional can take advantage of easy-to-use GUI tools to monitor everything that is going on under the hood. It also has application firewalls that let you easily block connections from/to specific programs, which is something that Linux can't do either despite being frequently sold as a network management system.

And they work together because of ponies and flowers? No, they just work on things that benefit their revenue just like any other private enterprise, and improving the user experience of idiots who use Linux at home, by allowing instant search or anything like that, isn't part of their plans. So keep sucking their dick while using a limited system meant to be used on servers (and still suck even at it per above post ).

>instantly fragments disk

See

>Firstly it is GNU/Linux
Fuck off, you piece of shit.

Just do a fucking side by side comparison and end this

Of course there are people working on GNU/Linux for profit, it is a powerful kernel, and anyone can work on it. They mostly use GNU/Linux to run the servers which they gain profit from, and this is no issue, they can use GNU/Linux for anything they want and it can be customized any way they want because it is free software and comes with no copyrighting

>The control you have is limited by the thousands of inconsistencies and incompatibilities among all dozens of distributions, releases, desktop environments etc.
You still have a variety of distros, and any SPECIFIC part of the OS you don't like can be changed.

>Also, on Windows any advanced user or professional can take advantage of easy-to-use GUI tools to monitor everything that is going on under the hood.
You still can't stop Windows 10 from spying on you though.

It is GNU/Linux.

It's just Linux, you fucking autist.

Why can't OP just be honest and say he wants an angrysearch thread?
github.com/DoTheEvo/ANGRYsearch

>professional filesystem
Let me know how that whole "has to force constant defragmentation to slow down your whole OS because it can't even manage its own filesystem" works out for you.

And protip: Windows just does a linear search and is slow as fuck at doing it. It's the same as using find on GNU.

Read a book dumbass, the FSF had alot to do with the development of GNU/Linux

P sure its GNU/Linux tho

Either way, ext4 is not the only filesystem that can be used. Windows is very limited with its filesystem options. Can NTFS even snapshot?

So have others. Why does this arbitrary line get drawn at GNU? What about X11, systemd, etc.?

P sure you're a goddamned moron.

You seem to have a misunderstanding of our criticism. We don't hate "evil, capitalist corporations" because they're capitalist or that they want revenue from their software. We hate them because they look at their users like cattle to be profited from. We hate them because they insist on having a monopoly on software and use that monopoly to gain revenue *at the user's expense*, whether by resorting to data mining or by inserting harmful software that nobody can see because of their refusal to be transparent and build a community of programmers to improve and customize software. We hate them not because of their profit margin but because they don't value us: they *only* value their profit margin.

>$100 OS
>being able to download a third party search tool to replace the shitty default one is marked as a pro

Wincucks are THIS desperate to justify being spied on.

Where does that "I pay for Windows" meme come from? Only absolutely casual normies who buy pre-builds do it and they don't browse Sup Forums.

Apparently they do

>what is find

The troll is strong with this one.

>But you can install a third-party tool like UltraSearch or Everywhere and have REAL TIME RESULTS
>without a database/indexing
No, you can't.

WinFS was abandoned during the Longhorn development death march. The prototype developed on top of NTFS had dreadful performance, and there was no-one left on the Windows kernel team who really knew how the NTFS code actually worked.

For a case study in efficiently providing this across traditional filesystems like NTFS or FAT, please see Kobold II.

For a case study in database-structures filesystems with addressable indexes which incidentally happen to murder your wife, Reiser4 did it first. That last bullet point, if you'll excuse the pun, proved something of a barrier to adoption, along with the rampant layering violations of the huge kernel patch and questionable POSIX compliance of files behaving like directories.

>UltraSearch

Freetards btfo

>professional filesystem such as NTFS
my sides are in the orbit

i like NTFS but holy shit, OP go fucking educate yourself

I really have limited choices for my home PC for my wife. She uses Photoshop, likes Word and Outlook, and loves our Logitech Squeeze (now a defunct product), so I have a Windows PC.

This weekend our Squeeze box started to skip songs. I had an eerie feeling that it was broken, but figured it was time for a bit of debugging. I, of course, powered it on and off, powered off the routers and checked router performance to make sure the router was not dying—all to no avail.

I was then getting really worried that we would need a new music system. So I tried the Logitech boom box we had, and it had the same problem, which meant it was the PC. I looked at the error logs and found nothing. So I powered everything off and on, thinking it might be the WiFi card.

I then remembered that the last time this happened I needed to upgrade memory as the song and album database had gotten too big for the system. So I checked the memory size and paging performance. That was not the problem, but the disk performance was slow.

Was the disk going bad? It had no errors. It had always cleanly shutdown and booted, so I decided to scan the disk for file system and disk errors, using an MS tool. It took over two hours to run this check, and it found nothing. But when I booted up everything was working properly again.

Clearly there was a file system or disk problem that had been fixed, but the logs showed that nothing was found. Why? This never happens on a Linux system nor on any other file system I have worked on. Windows reported nothing even after the file system check, and the system has been working properly for now three days.

I have complained publicly about NTFS design for years in terms of performance and reliability, but after wasting three hours of my time, I ask the question: Is NTFS the world’s worst file system

You do realise MS is dumping SHITFS for a good reason. ReFS is coming soon, meanwhile enjoy your file corruption and data fragmantation

HFS+ was faster than NTFS in almost every test i made