Linux

I decidet to start using linux. my new pc is comming in 2 days so i have to decide witch linux distro i want to use till then. i am a beginer. give me some suggestions or tips

i was looking in arch or mint, i want to learn to code so keep that im mind when giving me ideas

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Y0w-vnNpL2U
zorinos.com/
systaksolutions.com/projects.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

install gentoo and fuck off, this isn't tech support

PC specs?

Mint or Ubuntu are easy ones to start, arch is difficult to set up for a begginer, I prefer Manjaro instead of arch for the easiness of setup

If you have never used Linux before I would suggest Ubuntu. The installation process is pretty straight forward but you still get a full Linux environment.

However if you have a little bit of experience you should install Arch. You'll learn a lot during the installation process and you can customize it to your liking

Ubuntu Mate , Xubuntu or Linux Mint

Use Xubuntu

>I prefer Manjaro

>people still claim, that you learn something while installing arch
It's literally like every installation of every distribution, just more time consuming and autistic.

Learning code has absolutely no bearing on which distro you pick. Linux is better than OSX by a little for that, and better than Windows by a lot, but between distros there's no difference.

Go with Ubuntu GNOME, KDE, LXDE, or some other spin. You can do Unity too if you want. Huge standard repo, quality packages, and lets you use the command line a little if you want but not too much.

Not that user but I believe you do gain a greater understanding. The Ubuntu installation is almost autonomous. The arch is not.

Thanks King Fedora

this. xubuntu has a interface similar to the windows one, and it keeps all the good things of the ubuntu family.

surprisingly 16.04 has good enough divers even if you picked a radeon graphic card.

>The Ubuntu installation is almost autonomous
I always use the minimal net installer. Please tell me more about how much I learn about computers using that.

Why is Linux better than OS X for learning programming?

but can i install nvidia drivers on all distros or some dont have them

>but can i install nvidia drivers on all distros
Yes

>or some dont have them
The free as in freedom distros wont have them in their repos, but you can always download them directly from Nvidias web site.

Ghostbsd - best Linux distro there is

>implying bsd is linux

okay, ty

Its like a free upgrade.

M$ said this too, now I'm stuck with a completely different OS.

I'd recommend mint. Cinnamon is a very easy DE for people coming over from Windows. It also has a very easy way to install NVIDIA drivers. Since it uses Ubuntu as it's base, it has the same advantages of large repos and the ppa system.

I switch from M$ to PCBSD. Couldn't be happier.

Ubuntu is the general recommendation for beginners.
That was my first too.

Do not use Mint, bloated POS with M$ spyware. This could be said to Ubuntu as well.

Fedora is very userfriendly too, it is backed by an actual non jewish company. Bless RedHat.
Lingus Tornanus(and his senpai)uses that too, cause it is dev friendly.

Does any other distro have their name on a drink?

My distro is named after my tophat.

Debian/Fedora/Xubuntu if you want a pre-configured distro. Arch if you want to configure everything manually. Gentoo is pretty much the same as Arch except you also compile everything from source.

>Gentoo is pretty much the same as Arch except
Gentoo values elegance over simplicity, has more space for customisation without manually rebuilding half the system (USE flags), has smaller community and is less documented and less maintained because of it (but still pretty well-maintained), much more stable, generally has older versions of programs available (unless you use masked versions/overlays, in which case you should say goodbye to stability as well). And if you're paranoid, it's easier to have OpenRC (Gentoo uses that by default). Compilation from sources is completely automated, but may be time-consuming if you have weak hardware.

I personally love Gentoo, but Arch works better as a babby's first DIY distribution due to tons of guides and comparative simplicity. Though Gentoo have an installation handbook as well, and it will guide you through the process without too much trouble.

Linux Mint Cinnamon

I'm quite the beginner with Linux (been using it for about a year) and I prefer Ubuntu MATE and vanilla Ubuntu with Unity. Both are easy to install and easy to use (MATE even more so).

>transparent terminal
Why.

Zorin OS because... it just works.
Zorin OS review: youtube.com/watch?v=Y0w-vnNpL2U

Official site here: zorinos.com/
If you want the ultimate version for free go here: systaksolutions.com/projects.html

Ubuntu is shit and botnet, Mint is botnet, install gentoo

maybe learn English first before a programming language

I like it

try openSUSE Tumbleweed. Pretty fast and good support from guides