What kind of home server hardware does Sup Forums's poorfags run?

What kind of home server hardware does Sup Forums's poorfags run?

For a while, I've always just used whatever old laptop is still kicking. Currently on an Acer netbook from 2009 running Debian. It's been shutting down due to heat though so I'm thinking of grabbing a second hand i5 or Xeon.

I don't know what use home server for

I've inherited an old HP server (2010-ish) from work

It's a pretty massive 4u dual Xeon system that makes a fuckton of noise so I can't really use it until I buy a decent rack and clean out my cupboard

Can list specs if anyone is interested. Going to use it as a test bed for my RHCSA/RHCE certs and when I'm done with that, as a media server.

Cheapest orange pi. It runs pihole, openvpn over shadowsocks and tor.

Homeserverfag = Fat weeaboo pedophile hoarder

Then you're not Sup Forums enough for this thread.

rPi3 for VPN server

go back to

I use an old core2duo based system as an sftp server. It is old, but my needs don't require much computing power so it's alright.

i don't really get why people see the need to build a separate machine, or use some ancient old shit machine, simply to put their media on. I'm guessing everyone here has a desktop PC, why not just grab a couple TB HDD's, stick them in your rig and just SMB that shit around your house ?? Why would you bother with some crappy little Pi or prehistoric optiplex to do what your "good PC" can already do ??

so they can claim to have a "home server"

True

there are so many ideas to upgrade my "homeserver system" but I need more HW.
Pic related.

Where do you think you are?

For me, I run a game server that needs to be online 24/7 and if I ran it on my main PC my bedroom gets so fucking hot. So thats my reason.

yeah thats totally valid. i am specifically calling out people who build a PC to literally just put all their stolen films on and then LAN it over to other machines that have enough storage to hold those films locally anyway.

Fuck home servers
I use the new Pied Piper Black Box for my hosting

I agree that using a server to store movies that could have already been stored on your PC, which is used to watch said movies, is redundant. However using a low power device that stores files to access your files from phones or laptops ,where storage space might be a problem, is probably more logical than your pc staying on and wasting power for some people.

Power usage. My Pi3 with USB HDD saves me a lot of money across the year than running a normal desktop PC 24/7

>not using actual server hardware which uses far more power than all of your client devices combined

because I have 12 HDD's and they can't fit inside my case.

Cause I don't have a tower, only a laptop

So Sup Forums, I'm new to home servers.

I don't exactly want to build a server, but just an enclosure for storing my RAID.

I have a cheap little box at the moment, but I feel I need to upgrade to something more proper.

Would I just put something like pic-related inside a 15U+ server cabinet?

I built a machine dedicated to storage so that my other servers can more easily access it. I also built it with powersaving in mind, using a 35W CPU and a gold-rated PSU, so I can safely shut down my main computer and save money on electricity.

Other servers include storage for gameserver, and a dedicated machine for Plex that I share with my parents and closest friends.

>some crappy little Pi or prehistoric optiplex

Pleb-tier. I assembled one from scratch on an amd apu with a high-end sound card, a passive-cooled nvidia and a blue ray drive. uHD 3D movies all day.

Whatever work was throwing out. But that's not really fair, because they'd chuck SAN's and LGA 1366/2011 servers.

If I could have lifted them, there were a few HP MDS600's w/ 1TB drives. But them is fucking heavy.

Fanless case with moderately powerful CPU, 32GB RAM and 512GB EVO SSD. Areca HBA with 2xSPF8088 ports. Sans Digital 8x case connected to the Areca. 8x4TB drives in a Linux software RAID5. It runs SabNZBd => Plex. Roku on TV in living room does Plex really well. Tablet with Plex for toilet and such.

>not providing a file hosting to your family with automatic regular virus scanning and backups to your NAS
>not providing a dns caching/forwarder service to your family
>not providing a transparent http(s) caching proxy to your family
>not providing an always on performant minecraft server for your kids and their friends
what is it like to be alone?

>>not providing a transparent http(s) caching proxy to your family
The most pointless thing you could do for a small environment.

Two T320s, a Juniper EX-2200-c, and a R210ii for the gateway.

X5675
24GB ECC
SAS 9211
Mellanox ConnectX-2
850 EVO, 6 random 1TB drives for ZFS, shitty SSD for L2ARC. 2TB drive for backups.
Runs almost silent.

>no airflow directly over that northbridge heatsink
Enjoy your early motherboard death

Dual E5-2660vs
160GB DDR3
Areca 1883ix-24 28 port 12g SAS RAID controller
Intel X520 dual 10g NIC
8x 480GB Seagate enterprise SATA SSDs in a RAID 0
8x 4TB HGST enterprise SATA HDDs in a RAID 6
2x EVGA GTX 980 SuperClocked
Samsung 6950 40" 4k TV

Cisco Catalyst 3750E switch, ASA 5510 firewall, 3x Aironet 1140 access points