Cheap 2nd hand Workstations - cheap Linux Workstations in 2016?

The pic related workstation, the HP XW6600 Workstation, has the following
2 x Intel Quad Core L5420 2.5GHz CPU's ( 8 cores total)
32GB RAM

All for €260 in Yuropoorland, throw in a cheapo SSD and run Linux, is that a decent workstation for the money?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.co.uk/itm/222114060499?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
ebay.co.uk/itm/121902311042?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I have a very similar workstation - HP XW-6400. Very similar configuration. You're lucky it's got the max RAM in it already because it was a bitch to get that part right.

It's a great workstation if you don't care about efficiency.

>LGA771
>DDR2 RAM

I'll try to search at least a HP z900 with dual socket LGA1366, but if that's enough for you, it's not bad

How much did you pay for it, senpai?

>It's a great workstation if you don't care about efficiency.

Is anything 45mm or newer that inefficient?

I paid about $60 to get the max RAM and CPUs in it; I found the case, PSU, and HDDs for free.

In my rig each of my CPUs runs at something like 80-120W, I can't remember. Together, all eight cores firing away as fast as they can probably match about half of the IPC an FX-8320E at 95W, which is based on a design from 2012.

TL;DR - yeah old CPUs are inefficient as fuck compared to stuff from even four years ago.

> $60.

Everyone sells old workstations in Yuropoorland for mad prices, thinking they can swindle as much money for their antiquated software.

The XW6x00 series gets really fucking hot, they can easily double as a heater in winter.
Z600 type B is quite cool too. Type A can use UDIMMS tho.

i am mad lads? i wanted to buy a workstation something along the lines of this:

ebay.co.uk/itm/222114060499?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

stick it with a 750ti our an 950 and use it as a gaming machine

Do i get better results with a AMD Phenom II x4 B95 for gaming instead?

No. Got for Z600 AT LEAST.

That's exactly the same workstation I was looking at, you Eternal Anglo.

>Z600 type B
What CPU is the best with the Z600?

sucks being a yuropoor, a z600 in the states is like 200 shekels.

I am probably gonna take the advice of user and buy a z600 for 300 something euros, much better than an old XW6600

our on the cheap a:

ebay.co.uk/itm/121902311042?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

put another 4gb and a 750ti and enjoy my 30fps

> AMD CPU

I know it was the last generation of AMD CPUs that were good, but I still remain skeptic, especially with even Phenom II hex core CPUs not being useful at all even now, despite the introduction of Vulcan and other software that utilises that many cores/threads.

my main pc is a z600, dual x5670s, 12c/24t 24GB ram. it's pretty cute dess~

forgot to add I can run most games on max with a 6950, it also stays pretty "cool" for a system with dual hex core processors

What was the total cost of the PC, senpai?

had 2
just replaced them both with raspberry pi 3s
far faster

. . . really? That broadcom school project PC?

like £650
z600 was 600 and I got the gpu from a local second hand shop

well I replaced two power sucking behemoths with matchboxes -- and I also get HD playback
the processor is faster
sure they are not as ram replete -- they are built to be compact .. running as server only , & for media, what they are designed for. Those hp workstations are end of the road now, I think, ran the x6400, xw6600 .. had 16gb ram .. wasn't seeing any benefit, really

they suck a great deal of power .. the pi3s run 1.5w max (if over-loaded)

Ah, if you only using them to stream media, then Raspberrys would be way better, mind you, they would be better than any desktop for the job.

Though for me a Raspberry would just be a slight upgrade OS wise than my 6 years old Logitech Squeezebox Touch.

Yeesh, really better to build a new PC really with that money.

got 2 now, for diff workstation setups
= samsung syncmaster 24" .. watching a 65mm epic movie currently on 1 (heavens gate) .. full HD .. beautiful .. running mate. made nother headless .. these things = always on @ minimal cost -- have stopped losing files .. it's xcellent for development .. driving (what I type on) = xubuntu on dell laptop .. lil ssd .. using x2x to drift mouse cursor across to control mate desktop. .. NFS. those hp workstations massivly heavy & power hungry .. bark ur shins. pi3s sweet little units 'PC has become a bump on the HDMI cable'. In messing around with software, often would be swapping PCS around .. hauling them round .. unlatching side off them .. cutting fingers on metal etc. pi3 headless server (for instance), has just the power cable going into it , lil cool black box (no fan req.) .. they auto detect the onboard wireless. on install (mate), they're asking for the wep key "hi". have given them names :)

just in here, chatting, having been a long term user of the HP XW series. needed perm on resources cheaply. As said, part from laptop PCs end of line for me .. pi3s zippy, dual core.

My main PC is just an i5 3570, 8GB based desktop, I use a dual screen setup, for thesis typing (one screen portrait for documents, files, other landscape for Scrivener/Microsoft Office.

How could a Raspberry Pi 3 help in any way? Could it be useful as a server/cloud?

how loud is it?

Is this the cheapest way to get a 32gb ram pc? nice find btw op from another brit

server? I just use NFS .. got usb powerd disk off it now .. had been using a usb 2.5" laptop drive, which a pi3 will power, no problem. they will manage a linux word processor, fine. NFS gives reliable always on server. automount (fstab etc) .. not a great fan of word here -- wasn't a great word processor from the start -- any major m$ packages werent' the greatest on launch, the m$ game was killing off anything decent. @ Uni I was disgusted to find out that documents were not consistant between word versions .. never liked the "stylesheets". Also word (that I remember), was extremely flaky, buggy. Where you end up in a monopoly situation the behemoth killed off all competition. There should have been a healthy competitive market for word processors, but microsoft sealed off the formats; still won't talk to anything else. Rite now, If I need to word process, (letter writing), I use what is avail on linux. Recent study, where I was disgusted to find out that the OU (UK), would only accept "word", found a 100% word compatible processor. openoffice, etc can replace -- its just the formats. Would expect that most students are happy using the google docs web service - that which I was using on occasion. As with everything , their OS, products, m$ made it a lock-in and also a huge issue. Can take things for granted with linux. no defragging (etc) .. no virusi.

they're loud. huge big fans

> nice find

It's alright, problem is that I live in potatoland everything is shipped here. I couldn't find anything local.

>260€ for a 8 core C2D

enjoy low performance and literal house fire

I use Libreoffice on my Linux Mint laptop, on my PC I got MS Office 2016 chucked in for free, I'm using it alright at the moment, surprised how unshitty it is compared to 2010 and 2014.

I still prefer Libreoffice.