/bsd/ thread

Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, etc

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.

If you want to try BSD, PC-BSD is best for beginners. Not sure about GhostBSD, never tried it.

Other urls found in this thread:

cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/bin/dd/
gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html
firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/
wiki.freebsd.org/Myths
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

BSD cucks BTFO
>pkg
- no flexibility with what options things are built with
- must wait on the project to rebuild/update things
>ports
- it can take a long time to compile things, especially web browsers
- multiple unrelated tools involved (portsnap/svn, portmaster/portupgrade)

Both the ports system and pkg will do a lot of things as root where it's not
needed at all. I brought this up to a member of the ports security team and
he just shrugged it off. Simply because portsnap checks the snapshots it
fetches against a public key, he figured there was nothing to worry about.
I have to question their credibility sometimes. It's true that verifying
the files it fetches would indeed be a good countermeasure... if that was
done before the more dangerous operations. But it's not. The data integrity
check is done very late in the process, giving plenty of opportunity for
exploits against the other tools, all running as root and taking untrusted
input from the internet. Both portsnap and freebsd-update have a serious
design flaw here that could be easily fixed. Perhaps they have the utmost
confidence in the tools being bug-free. I try to be a bit more realistic.

But there's a lot more risk involved than just letting root go out to the
internet to download files. Perhaps a short summary of how building ports
works is needed for clarification here. The steps involved can be condensed
into the following:

- Fetching and updating the ports tree (a collection of makefiles and patches)
- Fetching the software's source code
- Verifying the checksum of the file(s)
- Extracting the source tarball
- Configuring, patching and building the application
- Creating a package from the built files
- Installing the package to your system (if desired)

So how many of these actually need to be done as root? Only the last one.
And how many of these are done as root by default in FreeBSD? All of them.

>BSD cucks BTFO
>And how many of these are done as root by default in FreeBSD? All of them.
>FreeBSD

That pasta applies to FreeBSD only.

FreeBSD has a good sound system as a default, but OSS4 has been licensed under GPL since 2008, so why should i use it instead of genylinux distro like Gintee?

well it's not like linux distros ship OSS by default

sndio in openbsd is actually pretty rad

I'd rather use GNU

then get out of the thread

Does OpenBSD have binary blobs in it? I might consider running it as a server OS

Would user suggest any other BSD flavour (besides OpenBSD)?

Having ZFS would be nice.

The only kind of blobs it pulls in is for your firmware.

Don't use hardware that requires them and you should be fine. They used to let people turn that off, but their mailing lists probably kept getting flooded by retards going "i turned off firmware blobs and my computer doesn't work!"

Without GNU BSD's like FreeBSD have to use shitty slow clang/llvm leaving people to install GCC and rebuild their whole system so it doesn't run like shit and install thinks like gnu coreutils and gmake in ports to even be able to build software.

BSD losers are cucked so hard by GNU it's not even funny. Stallman has you guys tied up naked with ball-gags keeping you quiet.

I'm pretty sure the entire point of ports is to avoid stuff like gmake.

If you know anything about how that actually worked, you'd know this. And GCC IS a turd.

GCC is great, Clang needs more progress for it to catch up to GCC, GNU is a good OS don't get me wrong but BSD is much better for the licensing and servers, and it slowly is behind GNU usually

Thats exactly what i meant, only thing going for FreeBSD is the fact that its default (and only) sound system is their oss3 fork. But if one uses Gentoo, then default doesnt mean anything.

Can't this linux shitposter fuck off and resume using his special snowflake distro? Funny how they come to bother us but we don't bother them.

Is your reality shattering?

I've never understood why bsd users are so butthurt, all the time, everywhere.

Only butthurt person is the linux shitposter scared his special snowflake distro isn't getting all the attention.

you're such an epic trolle

also is english your first language? what the fuck does the first part even mean

I really wanna use FreeBSD on this desktop. However, when downloading packages it always just freezes, and sits until it times out. It's kind of gross, but hitting ctrl-c a few times until it downloads without stopping works.

Any ideas on diagnosing this?

press Ctrl-T while it's doing it, maybe you'll get some info out of it

What packages?

I haven't posted ITT yet if you know what I mean

>2016
>Not using Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
Are you a retard?

I am interested in switching to FreeBSD and I have been posting here for a while
1. How can I select/rank mirrors on FreeBSD? Installing takes a log of time.
2. While compiling GNOME, how do I know what options to use that'll give give me a vanilla "justworks" DE?
3. Does Behyve have a complete hardware compatibility list for GPU pass through?

t. Arch user

you're asking about two different things here

the mirror is for binary packages, the ports actually fetch the stuff from the developer's web site (so for example the source to XFCE is fetched from the XFCE site)

but for the 2nd question, if you type BATCH=YES before make install clean it'll just assume the defaults

>BSD cucks BTFO
>le ebin cuck maymay
>using BSD when you're referring to specifically FreeBSD
off yourself.

>installing GNU coreutils on a BSD
Full fucking retard

>he doesn't use dd

what? dd is a part of openbsd

Who maintains BSD? I'm doubtful that Linux will become full of retarded SJW devs after RMS and Linus is gone.

Use google

cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/bin/dd/
tip: if dd in openbsd was GNU there would be a gnu/ folder in this url

>Who maintains BSD?
The developers for their respective operating systems. *BSD's not like Linux where 90% of the OS is the same programs with the same kernel, each BSD has its own kernel and its own userland.

which is why i laugh when GNUtards absolutely need a --version switch if something goes wrong and they need to report a problem

if i run into a bug with cat i can just go "i'm using openbsd 5.9 and i ran into X bug with cat"

gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/coreutils.html
Don't embarrass yourself any further

GNU did not invent dd, you literal retard

Which BSD is more developed and has more backings? Open or Free?

i guess you could say freebsd has more corporate backing

They're equal more or less. It depends on what you want from BSD.

FreeBSD's the bigger one but you should really choose based on use case.

FreeBSD is by far the most developed and has corporate backings. The OpenBSD community is to FreeBSD what FreeBSD is to Linux

That analogy doesn't make any sense. Besides, OpenBSD projects like OpenSSH and LibreSSL are used heavily in corporate and non corporate alike.

see

Hey, anyone running FreeBSD on RaspberryPi? Is it usable?

bsd users are the same as the guys who say minidisc was killed too soon

yes, and?

i never claimed it was secure, i said it had more corporate backing, stop attentionwhoring in these threads, fag

Fuck off.

it is, but i'd say just stick with raspbian

>That analogy doesn't make any sense.
It does, stop projecting you flaming mongoloid

>Besides, OpenBSD projects like OpenSSH and LibreSSL are used heavily in corporate and non corporate alike.
And that's pretty much it

You have to admit, FreeBSD did make since questionable decisions.

I never said otherwise, but you don't need to remind us of the first fucking post itt every time it's mentioned.

What can you do with 3GB/month?

Kompile KDE

Learn what projecting even means. Also, just because FreeBSD gets more jewgold than other BSDs doesn't mean that NetBSD or OpenBSD aren't good.

Don't forget sudo and pf

I wasn't even that other guy you paranoid moron.

Don't forget CWM, a god tier windows manager.

Learn how to read, I never said they weren't good. I said they were SMALL compared to FreeBSD, in the same sense FreeBSD is small compared to GNU and Linux.

I'm not paranoid you dumbass, this thread's normally plagued with one guy who does nothing but shit on the BSDs, I figured you were him.

Okay, thank you for explaining your analogy. I now understand what you were trying to say.

Bump
You told me this before but I was looking for help

>epic gold face man
hi, Sup Forums

its even funnier when you use it in the completely wrong context

Yes and yes

Just switch to Linux already you fucking cucks

I already switched from Linux
>le epik cuck meme
xDDD

Getting desperate there shitposter, I suggest you give it up.

>Don't use hardware that requires them and you should be fine.
How are you even supposed to tell? When I went to buy a new laptop earlier this year, I couldn't even turn on the machines at the store, much less put a CD or USB flash into it and boot OpenBSD to see what exactly is in the machine.
So now I have an HP craptop with non-functional GPU (it's all SOC shit on the Celeron N3050), sound that's all fucked up, and you can't switch back to text mode console after starting X (and for that matter, the text console has some weird glitch where a random line flickers). Oh, and the wireless doesn't work, and of course suspend/resume don't either (but I'm pretty much used to that by now, didn't even work on half of my IBM Thinkpad laptops anyway).
So I guess it's all bad luck, but frankly modern hardware sucks ass, and more likely anything you buy isn't going to work right unless you buy exacly the modem some developer is using (and double check the damn revision on those wireless chipset).
I knew this shit was going to happen, so I only spent like $300, just so I can limp along until I build some desktop thing from parts.

>How are you even supposed to tell?
Research hardware before you purchase it? You should be doing this anyway.

this firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/
here are the firmwares, by the way

So since iOS and OS X are BSD, we can talk about them here, right?

I'd rather use the Tiny C compiler desu senpai.
Even Terry Davis made a better compiler, and OS for that matter Tannenbaum should have failed Linus so hard he ends up back in kindergarden, just so he can learn instead of unleashing his kernel bloatware on the world.

I'd get a different board, like the odroid c2. Raspberry pis really only work properly with raspbian, and even with that, they still don't work well because broadcom are massive faggots.

tfw the only reason GCC exists is because tannenbaum didn't want to release his compiler to the public

imagine how different the world would be

I couldn't research anything when my computer died. Had to buy one by guessing, and I guessed wrong.
(the irony is probably all the possible guesses were wrong)

i would've just went to the local library and did my research there

or even my aunt's house

I don't know if library here has anything like that. Mabye some Internet cafe, but you gotta pay for that. My closest relative is 200 km away also.
Anyway even saying research doesn't mean you'll find anything that actually works. All it takes is for the manufacturer to slighly change on revision of a chipset and you're fucked. Happens all the time with wireless devices.
In the past I managed halfway alright simply by always buying on very old hardware (like 10+ years old), except when hardware wasn't so bad during the 90's and then I could just buy a random thing and it usually worked.

Yes.

What macbook are you running, /bsd/?

wiki.freebsd.org/Myths

12" PowerBook G4

>PPC
rad, how useful is that today?

It's my daily driver, as useful as my newer laptops are. I'd still be using a PowerMac G5 as my desktop if I wasn't such an Opera 12 fanboy

Why does bsd get so much hate on Sup Forums? Not trolling I'm just curious.

Freetards can't handle the superior license

BSD gets hate other places too where there's big Linux fanbase. Slashdot is prime example. That's where all the "BSD is dying, Netcraft confirms it!" meme started.

this

literally every time there's an article about theo de raadt the first thing people bring up is "UH WOW I'LL NEVER USE OPENBSD" even though they never would've in the first place

>using a dead operating system

is there a way to run pfctl in openbsd without being root? im asking because i'm trying to build some kind of basic web interface for it

oh, and forgot to mention the web server will be running in a chroot, so i'll have to find a way to somehow do it outside of the chroot

Should be possible to setup a doas.conf entry so the web user can run pfctl with the specific arguments that are needed.
As for the chroot, well you might have to copy some other files in there. To test that part you can try to manually run chroot and see if you get an errors, and even run the whole thing via ktrace.

well that's the thing, the web user can't run pfctl as it's not part of the chroot

i thought of actually making a cronjob that loads the rules every minute but i don't know how viable that actually is

>find a way to somehow do it outside of the chroot
Oh nvm I didn't read that part right. Well then you have to setup some kind of message queue or a daemon that listens on localhost for pfctl commands, and then runs it through doas.
But at least here you have the benefit of sanity checking the command in the daemon (in addition to the command/argument restrictions in doas.conf).

Yeah cron could work too, if you have it run a script that reads a file of commands inside the chroot.

yeah im thinking of just doing that, waiting a minute after a rule change isn't TOO bad

Don't forget to use file locking though, and delete the file too once it's processed. I think the Perl Cookbook has a recipe for "netlock" or something that's safe to use on NFS, and it should work ok in this situaation too (in case a regular flock() doesn't work in/out of chroot).

huh? why?

all my script does is append rules to a file which is included in pf.conf

of course, i'll try to make it smarter eventually but that's all it does

Anyone had trouble booting the stable release of DragonFly in a VM?

It takes about 5-10 minutes to load kernel and get to login. I reinstalled 3 times and then thought maybe it was because I was using Hyper-V but the same shit happens when I installed it in VirtualBox.

you mean it actually takes 5-10 minutes to get to init?

that's really weird

Yeah, I think it was stuck on "syms" section generating whatever it generates. Literally took 10 minutes.

huh, i literally just installed it in virtualbox and it takes like 30 seconds to boot here

did you use HAMMER or UFS? maybe HAMMER on a VM sucks