Good free software

ITT: we post good free (gratis or libre) software

I'll start
Dolphin is a file browser from KDE. It's built on top of the Qt windowing library. It's very customizable and intuitive
It's part of KDE, so it targets GNU/Linux, but it runs on Mac OS X and MS Windows

whoops, forgot pic
look at those nice thumbnails :D

Windows 10... oh wait you missed it AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Libreoffice is pretty good, it's kinda like Microsoft Office. But be careful, it saves files with .odt instead of .docx

Here's another piece of good free software
This is Konsole, it's a highly customizable, simple, terminal emulator
In Konsole I've run neofetch, another piece of good software, with more active development than the popular screenfetch

The Linux Lite easy configuration package should be ported to other distros. Imagine Having this on Gentoo, even with less options would still be a nice thing to have.

This is Kate! Kate is a good, simple, graphical text editor from KDE. It's really simple to use, and offers nice integration with programs like GCC and Make, making software development a painless process

Linux Lite looks really nice! I'll definitely be recommending this to some of my less Linux savvy friends

This is the KDE file picker. It has a preview out of the box, and a mode with thumbnails (I prefer a list view)
Can you imagine if your software didn't have these simple features???

>yfw you will never EVER be this autistic

Here's a nice piece of software. This is Muon, the graphical package manager from KDE. It makes searching and installing software very easy, without having to open up a terminal emulator! Isn't that neato?

I don't understand user, do you not like good software?

Fuck off microcuck.

youtube-dl

Fedora + gnome

>good software
>linux

>it's a KuckDE posting all the default programs episodes

Except for the KDE file picker and Linux Lite, every piece of software in this thread is available for Windows and Mac

File System Visualizer for fancy file system navigation.

There's no a good reason to call them names so the autistic one here is you dude.

>good software

I'm confused, which of the programs in this thread aren't good?

That's really cool user. I'm not sure I'd use that for normal browsing, but it's definitely cool!

OP did specify GOOD free software

Hey, here's another nice program
KTorrent is a graphical torrent client. There's not a lot to say about it other than it's completely free and open source, so you don't need to worry about it spying on you, and it works. Torrent clients shouldn't do much more than that imo

You can see it on two ways: for me, multi-platform software has always an advantage because it doesn't lock you to one platform, on the other side if you consider that the existence of that software makes the platform bad then as the guy said by definition all platforms that runs that software is bad, including windows and osx. is an idiot of course.

gThumb is an image organizer which can also play videos. All your media at one click.

>on the other side if you consider that the existence of that software makes the platform bad then as the guy said by definition all platforms that runs that software is bad, including windows and osx
I don't understand this perspective, could you please explain what you mean by this? Software running on multiple platforms can only be good, unless of course this results in the development of the software being fragmented, but that's a separate issue altogether

>mfw almost all of the software I used on Windows is on ganoo slash leenoox
I kind of miss Honeyview, but Mcomix is fine. I really miss foobar, however. Its search was pretty clean. Clementine works, but I wish it had better search. Also, thank god for rsync.

all of them dirty kuck

Easytag is a music tagger to edit the metadata, can also add image covers.

That is a good piece of software! If I hadn't already gotten comfortable with Dolphin and Gwenview I'd definitely look into gThumb.

Would you mind elaborating? Why were they bad, and what software (free or proprietary) is better? Does the cost of the non-free software make sense given the free alternatives?

Clementine is nice, you might try out Amarok, it's got a very nice search feature.
Also, I've seen some user's use foobar under wine, have you tried that?

no such thing exists

Can someone recommend me a good email client that runs on Windows and Linux? Outlook is piss, the new mail app is shit. I just want to be able to easily view my work shit and my school shit and my personal shit.

thunderbird

RawTherapee is an image editing program for fast and easy editing. Everything you struggle to do in other programs you can do it in this with a few clicks, like cropping images.

It has advances feature too but the easy editing is the my favorite part.

I heard Firefox and Mozilla were in the shitter. Has the quality of thunderbird declined at all?

>Amarok
>KDE
>mfw apt After this operation, 245 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Fuck. I'll try it soon.

>Also, I've seen some user's use foobar under wine, have you tried that?
I did try it, but it wasn't the same thing. I had problems using multimonitors and early audio issues. Besides, I'd like to lower the amount of closed software. I would like to think that the point isn't to use the familiar software I had, but try to look for alternatives when needed.

That looks really good. Software like Photoshop or GIMP or Krita are nice, but a simple image editor that does a few basic tasks your typical user would need are good

>mfw apt After this operation, 245 MB of additional disk space will be used.
As a KDE user I'll admit this is a problem. Installing a single KDE application brings with it a lot of Qt and the KDE frameworks, but these are shared among the KDE applications. It is definitely irritating if you only want one KDE application though

I am more of a CLI guy although Clementine is great I use moc. Another GUI music player is Audacious with the Winamp skin, can't beat the retro feeling with format support.

Thunderbird is good.

Thunderbird feels like abandonware at this point.

>CLI guy
are there any tasks/areas where the CLI is not sufficient? I'd imagine viewing or editing images or videos to be one such area
I can think of a few areas where CLI applications seem to thrive
>Music: A lot of people like mpd
>IRC: Irssi is really popular from what I've seen
>programming: obviously programs like emacs or vim, and tools like make or gradle

Cinelerra-cv (community version) is a professional video editing software rivaling Avidemux. Really powerful, this is ideal for power users or dedicated work.

>Thunderbird feels like abandonware at this point.
>Thunderbird is good.
lol Sup Forums consensus at it's finest
I guess I'll give it a try though, any other recommendations?

I never really understand why some people do **argv. What is the benefit of a pointer to pointer to char?

It's sometimes written as *argv[], but to the compiler there's no difference.
From what I've seen, people tend to use var[] when it's an array on the stack, or *var when it's an array on the heap

I could never go a CLI for viewing images, videos or music. I'd just have a file manager at hand and navigate with the keyboard. For instance, take fapping. I don't have thumbnails for the cover on non animated chinese cartoon pron comics, so doing stuff like find and grep would be ideal on finding works, but then I'd have to type the program I want to run plus the filename at hand. That's inconvenient for me. I'd rather use catfish and open the file from there. Limiting yourself to one or the other seems silly to me, they both have their advantages.

>KDE file picker
>posts pic of GTK file picker

Pic is from 4.2, but other than the theme, the dialog's still essentially like this.

Scribus is a desktop publishing application for creating magazines and journals. Given the training, you get professional level publications.

Video editing and viewing is the area CLI kind of lack. CAD actually not although I don't use it, but FreeCAD has scripting capabilities.

If you don't fear the command line, Mutt + notmuch is used by security experts for their mail.

>I like a thing, but sometimes things I don't like as much work too
:*

I'm a little confused on your reply. I'd rather have an open window that is easily accessible with a click while the other hand is handling my dick. What's not to understand?

What happens when you cross a todo program with spreadsheets? TreeSheets is an outliner and organizer for wide variety of task, from creating the science fiction novels to time management.

I'm saying that I'm surprised (and pleased) to see a person on Sup Forums who, while enjoying something, can still see the benefits of other systems
I want to give you a kiss user :*

Ah, ok user. After reading your last reply ten times, it finally clicked. I'm retarded.

No, I'm autistic :3

Rawtherapee is pretty cool yeah, the lab sliders look very good and you can do some pretty whack hsv mappings.

Anki is a flashcards program with a nice repetition algorithm and a lot of community made content.

It is actually the same ;^)

Poor Bruce.

LyX is the best and easiest document processor to create academic documents you see everywhere. Creating tables and adding symbols is easy, with the output directly to pdf closing the deal.

That looks really comfy, going to try it for my next paper

GraphMonkey, Lybniz, and KAlgebra are graphing calculators to visualize those equations you struggle on class.

Celestia and Stellarium are two programs for the astronomy in us. With Stellarium you get to know and learn constellations and orbits, with Celestia you can dive into the stars.

Look at the treeview, it can double as an outliner too.

Follow your expenses closely with GnuCash, this accounting program lets you keep multiple sources of income and expense separate and ordered.

What wm is that?

Of course, I don't understand why I didn't find it earlier

It's a program so good, there aren't any competitors that I know of, people just contribute to it and development chugs along

Qtstalker (and QtTrader) lets you monitor the financial market in real time.

I believe is motif based. The mwm or the vtwm can do that, and vtwm is configurable through simple files.

JDownloader is a powerful donwload manager, is so powerful it can scrape webpages to find downloadable content. Youtube, mediafire, mega, etc.

I wish other downloaders were as convenient. Aria2c is great in that it can accept multiple downloads at the same time, but I have to feed it the links first.

Keep in contact with the news with this program. Liferea can accept not only RSS and atom, but also podcasts. You can even order your youtube channels, download the list and watch the videos from your favorite channels.

I have yet to see an easier downloader than jd.

It's convenient, yes; but I'd like to not use shady software if there is an alternative.

Nuvola Player is the direct connection to online radio from the desktop. Just connect to your favorite stream and relax.

Why should i use it over nautilus?

That looks like utter shit. Why would you even show this when LaTeX exists which is the undoubted standard in academia?

There is a clean installer if ou mean the ads. The developers openly admit to fund themselves but for the people that knows how to find the installer that is no issue.

I have plenty more suggestion but ran out of time. The pic is the list I am putting together, although this version needs some ordering I trust you might find a lot of interesting stuff.

Anyone who likes to hoard shit needs to look at Dupe-Guru. It quickly finds duplicate files and deletes whatever you want to get rid of. Works on all platforms, but I think Wangdows may have been dropped after 7.

That is a LaTeX editor you dingus.

What are your thoughts on Gummi?

That's a lot of shit. Why not pastebin?

Does that work with the AUR?

Even simpler for the experienced. Try GNU TeXmacs.

I know.

Now I'm gone.

i prefer KMyMoney

Does anyone know a decent calculator for Gnu/Linux?

Doesn't have to be command line

python

>Does that work with the AUR?
I don't use Archlinux, but from what I can see no, it doesn't :(

Python is actually a really comfy calculator, but as far as graphical calculators go, kcalc is pretty nice

>mfw using Firefox, Thunderbird, Sunbird, and LibreOffice on Windows 7
I could probably switch to Linux without losing much of anything except Foobar2000, which probably runs just fine in Wine.

Should I just use the python repl? or Jupyters notebook?

From what I can read foobar2000 works find under wine
If you're comfortable with it, sure. Personally I don't know any calculator that allows you to easily define functions or save data, which is nice when you're doing long calculations

Kingsoft is better