AMD ZEN

It's august already and still no Zen leaks. Is it safe to assume that AMD is dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

digitimes.com/news/a20160607PD202.html
breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/10/intel-cuts-300m-in-jobs-research-education-and-talent-to-fund-feminist-frequency/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Its just going to be "like a Haswell i7" but then have serious performance issues in certain tasks, have shitty chink tier motherboards, and set your house on fire all at the same time.

Only purpose of it is to trick Poo in Loos into thinking they got better price/performance when Intel's offerings destroy AMD in price, performance, and efficiency.

>Is it safe to assume that AMD is dead?
AMD is doing better than it's been for a long time.

Zen was pushed back to 2017 though sadly.

>no Zen leaks

Like there's something to be leaked.

See
>Zen was pushed back to 2017

>Zen was pushed back to 2017 though sadly.
Sauce? I'm sure it has been at this point, but is this just an assumption or is there proof?

>Is it safe to assume that AMD is dead?
They're more alive than ever. Intel is already sweating bullets at the thought of Zen. Not because Zen will be better than Skylake (it won't) but because their 8-core flagship will be priced around i5 prices and have 2X the performance.

I can see an 8-core 3.5 - 3.9 GHz Zen chip go for ~$300 and still make AMD profit.

It is going to be cheaper for sure but what I'm curious about is how good it is going to be in comparison with a 5820k.

are they going to release any cpus for poorfags?

>Market watchers originally expected Intel and AMD to launch their new CPU platforms in the third and fourth quarter, respectively, to help boost PC demand in the second half, but both CPU makers have recently postponed their launch schedules to January 2017 at CES 2017 since the upstream supply chain still has serious inventory issues, and market demand has been slow.

>Intel's Kaby Lake platform was originally scheduled to launch at the end of the third quarter and AMD's Zen architecture in the fourth. Related brand vendors have been aggressively clearing their inventory of older-generation models and preparing for the new products since May, but will need to delay the plans as both CPU makers have postponed their launches.

[...]

>AMD's Zen architecture is produced by Globalfoundries' 14nm process and chipsets are designed by Taiwan-based players. However, the platform is also expected to be delayed until January 2017

digitimes.com/news/a20160607PD202.html

>are they going to release any cpus for poorfags?
I guess. Seeing as how ~80% of people on earth are poorfags then it would be a sound decision.

>Tfw holding off i7 upgrade just to see Zen
I've been dissappointed by AMD before, but maybe not this time...

Its amd, their market is made up of nothing but poorfags

AMD's HotChips presentation on the Zen core arch is August 23rd, right after IBM's presentation of the POWER9 arch.

Summit Ridge was never pushed back. Stop spreading FUD.

It has *always* been slated as end of 2016 for initial silicon, with full retail volume in 2017. This has been AMD's consistent statement for well over a year now.

There is no source apart from a clickbait article which contorts the facts.

This is the clickbait in question.

AMD clarified their position numerous times. Su explicitly stated at their Computex presentation. Zen core parts and Summit Ridge are still on track.
They have never change the timetable for anything.

Every single analyst day, investor call, keynote, and presentation AMD has stated that the first full year of revenue for Zen parts was 2017.

>their 8-core flagship will be priced around i5 prices and have 2x the performance.

I'm a dedicated AMD fag and I don't even believe that.

As you shouldn't.
Summit Ridge will have an MSPR around $500. It isn't a mainstream desktop chip.

He obviously means 2x the performance in multithreaded applications that use more than 4 cores(almost none of them), and the single core performance of a Haswell i3.

Lmao. If anything amd will finally be able to compete against the i3 6100

As long as they make a budget oriented CPU with 4 cores and hyper threading that holds up with a 4670k or 4690k for like $150 that'll be enough for me and probably a great move for them. Does that seem likely?

We are not going to get a HT capable wide-design 3.5-3.9Ghz stock 8 core part from AMD for a couple years, at the very least until Zen+.
Intel has a better fabrication process, a hell of a lot more refined design, and their brand new consumer 8-core 6900K is only 3.2-3.7, at 140w rated TDP to boot.
AMD's position on Zen has always been 65/95w and unless they've pulled some kind of miracle from their ass (they haven't) their full 8-core is going to be 3-3.5Ghz at best much like the 5960X was

The only chips they have below Summit Ridge are Bristol Ridge APUs for

You and me both. I'm hoping that Zen drops before black friday, so if it turns out shit I can snag a 6700k from Microcenter with a good deal.

Their mainstream chips are the coming Raven Ridge APUs. They'll likely start out $250 on the top end, with binned chips filling lower end SKUs.

Summit Ridge is a Haswell-E and mid range Broadwell-E competitor.

i just want a nice zen apu with ps4 like graphics capabilities (7850-7870), hevc video decoding, on the latest gcn arch and some sweet 16gb of hbm2 ram. just imagine, this could led to a new motherboard form factor, or maybe to a mini pc which doesn't sucks ass like the intel nucs

Well zens been pushed back to 2017...guess imma just settle for something already out then.

So what's AMD best processor that doesn't need water cooling?

You're going to have to wait quite a while for that.
Still not a single word about Raven Ridge including HBM on package. They probably won't have that until their 2018 platform.

why did they go so up? their situation isn't any better than a year ago. if anything, it's just worse. and apart for getting to manufacture the new consoles apus, i miss any major semi-custom deal for them

FX 8350 is like 125W.

An AMD roadmap from last year speculatively pegged HBM for APUs being here by 2018 at the earliest, but I would hedge my bets on only the highest end units getting something like that at that time.

They are dead, get an i3

It wasn't "pushed back."
Stop regurgitating this nonsense.

They secured a few huge enterprise contracts.
They have new GPUs on the market selling like hotcakes.
They have a new line of workstation cards with no parallel on the market.
Zen based parts will begin shipping end of this year.
They're designing a semi-custom HPC APU
They only have $2 billion~ in long term debt, and on track for $10 billion~ in revenue for 2017 with lower operating costs than ever before

> their situation isn't any better than a year ago. if anything, it's just worse

How do you get through life with an IQ of 50?

They've gotten all major console designs back to back, revamped their product stack, shown things to investors that we can't see (concerning Zen), have successfully released a new GPU line where production can't meet demand (stay out fanboys I know Nvidia is selling out too), and had a cash injection from some chinese investment firm which is what kicked off the stock hike to begin with.

AMD doesn't technically owe anything on their debt until 2019

We will have HBM APUs and Zen+ before they ever have to pay anyone anything. We will be well into the 6xx series before they ever have to pay anything. The new PS Neo And Xbox Scorpio will have saturated their market sales well before AMD ever has to pay anything back.

$6 a share is just the beginning, though you shouldnt expect it to get too crazy yet. Maintaining $8-10 is a solid goal from the constant 4 years of suffering, it now relies on unreleased products panning out in the market.

>and on track for $10 billion~ in revenue for 2017
That's quite a jumps since they've been hovering around ~$1 billion per quarter for the past few years. How do you reckon they'll increase their revenue by 150% in a little under a year and a half? Even if Zen is a god killer, it won't be that good.

Blow me. Its not coming out this year and I need a new build. If you have nothing to say Fuck off.
I guess they haven't done much in the last few years huh? Well it'll have to do...is rather take barbed wire up the ass than buy from racist Intel.

Intel supports Feminist Frequency.

>intel is sweating bullets
Over a CPU that's comparable to stuff from 2013?

>5% improvements every other year since 2011
top kek

Well technically speaking what Intel has is also comparable to stuff from 2013. They haven't actually made any jumps in performance since 2011.

Maybe in 2020.

Oh so a CPU thats 10% slower than a year old one?
Skylake may have only been a slight improvement, but it was still a (very) slight improvement.

>Skylake may have only been a slight improvement, but it was still a (very) slight improvement.
And it's still comparable to sandy bridge. Th main performance increase has come in the form of higher clocks the past few iterations, a distinction that vanishes as soon as you're comparing K series chips.

They've been averaging around $5 billion per year in revenue with virtually no enterprise CPU sales.
$10-$12 billion per year is what AMD was pulling when they had decent Opterons before the Bulldozer era. Pulling that revenue again really isn't that much of a leap.

There is limited availability end of this year. First full year of revenue from Zen based parts is 2017.
This is what they have always said. Nothing was pushed back.

>get an i3

that's a downgrad

Only if you're looking at general integer performance. Haswell can be up to 70% faster than Sandy Bridge in certain FPU ops. Again in certain specific FPU ops Skylake can be 25% faster than Haswell.

Its not useful in most things, but a lot of video rendering software can make use of it.

I stand corrected.

Does "full retail volume in 2017" mean they'll be permanently out of stock until the holiday season (assuming they're good)? Or am I just being pessimistic?

>mfw still using a phenom II and don't know if I can wait for raven ridge

Thats great and all but Haswells 70% boost (in certain ops) only ever translated to 11-12% real world increase at best in FPU heavy programs

we already know it'll be nothing like bulldozer design wise but nice try pajeet

>They have new GPUs on the market selling like hotcakes.

is this really "real" or they are selling so much simply because they made few of them like with the fury? to be fair, the 480 die is small, so they should have a fair amount of them, but it seems they got pretty trashed on tech reviews

From an AMD, its a huge upgrade

if Zen is 10% slower than Intel's latest offering it will be a success thanks to all of its advantages

>unlocked multiplier on all chips
>cheaper mobos with longer lifespans thanks to AM4
>HBM support for APUs

Its still going to have debilitating issues just to "match" Intel performance, no way some small Poo in Loo company like AMD can compete with Intel

They could support Cheeto Hitler for all I care. I don't give a shit about politics.

>>HBM support for APUs
I wouldn't be too sure of that one quite yet. Summit Ridge is just going to be Carizzo with DDR4 on the desktop. I doubt their first Zen APU will use HBM. Maybe at some nebulous point in the future.

The volume of functional Ellesmere/Polaris 10 dies being shipped out is massive. Some shops got 10k cards in stock, and are now back ordered another 10k.

The reason why the voltages for the pstates are set so high is because AMD set the window for "good" dies extremely wide. There is about a 50% difference in ASIC quality rating among reference cards out in the wild. They did that just to push out more chips. The RX 480 only uses 100% functional dies, there are no binned off CU. They're just shitting out hundred of thousands of them.

This was reflected in their recently published quarterly financials.
"In the second quarter we accomplished a significant milestone as we returned to non-GAAP operating profitability based on solid execution and strong demand for our semi-custom and graphics products"

Summit Ridge is an 8 core Zen part.
Bristol Ridge is repackaged Carrizo with a few tweaks.
Raven Ridge is the first Zen based APU, and its unlikely it will feature HBM.

last I checked it was the highest selling GPU on Amazon but that could mean dick all. somebody who works in retail would better answer that question.

they're clearly fabbing and selling more of them than nvidia is with its 100 series.

also, switching from globalfoundries to samsung might improve yields and perf/watt but that's a conjecture.

>but it seems they got pretty trashed on tech reviews
most of the tech reviews were shady as fuck. guru3d and hardocp gave it the most favorable figures in comparison to the 1060 and you should check those out.

it's by no means a bad GPU. right now though 480 vs 1060 mostly boils down to the games you play.

there's a single mention of it in the wikipedia article marked with "better source needed" so it could be bullshit.

no it's not. i3s are for retarded gamers.

AMD isn't switching from Global Foundries to Samsung.
GloFo and Samsung are running the exact same process between Samsung's 3 facilities and GloFo's Fab8 in NY.

Samsung will step in and carry the extra capacity GloFo requires *if* they reach that point. That was the agreement between them when GloFo licensing Samsung's 14nm FinFET process as they dropped their own internally developed 14XM.

i did the mistake of buying an ivy bridge i3 and a netbook with a cedar trail atom. intel never again for me

>Summit Ridge is an 8 core Zen part.
>Bristol Ridge is repackaged Carrizo with a few tweaks.
>Raven Ridge is the first Zen based APU, and its unlikely it will feature HBM.
Exactly what I meant. Sorry user, I'm getting all these code names mixed up in my head, it's not easy getting old. I meant Bristol Ridge of course.

AMD supports communism. 2 sides of the same coin.

I am glad there are people here to correct me

Push back delayed or not it's not gonna be here this year. So make do with what we have right man?

Willing to sell out himself and everyone around him for a slightly faster processor...stay classy.

>it's not gonna be here this year
Limited availability this year user. You should be able to get your hands on it within the first week of release.

>Pulling that revenue again really isn't that much of a leap.

Doubling your revenue is a huge leap, what are you talking about? That is literally twice the revenue. That is a really hard thing to do in a short amount of time.

Do you think there is any small chance Samsung could end up buying out AMD? It just seems like Samsung is going out of their way to make sure things are successful.

>Hi, my name is anonymous and I suffer from selective reading.

AMD with less than 1% data center market share and virtually no Opteron sales = roughly $5 billion in revenue per year
AMD with Zen based Opterons regaining data center/enterprise/HPC market share = expected $10 billion in revenue.
They have pulled those revenue figures before when they had parts that competed somewhat well. They'll have no problem doing it again.

I don't sell myself to anyone. Like I said, not into the games the high lords play.

AMD isn't on the market to be bought out, that isn't going to happen.

The deal between Samsung and GloFo stems from them both being members of the now dead Common Platform Alliance. They had a pretty friendly relationship before, and have shared IP in the past, and it goes pretty deep. Both of them have heavily licenses FD-SOI IP from STMicro. Samsung has toyed around with SOI extensively, and GloFo recently announced their 22FDX node as being production ready. GloFo's acquisition of IBM's foundry business and associated IP also makes for an incredibly alluring bargaining chip. Buttering up to the company who owns all of IBM's process IP is a no brainer. But the single largest driving force behind this partnership is very likely a huge OEM like Apple.

Samsung and Global Foundries don't just have several facilities between them running the same process. They're using the exact same tooling, they have embedded staff at each others' fabs, and they run test wafers periodically to ensure that yields are exactly the same at each location. They in effect have one giant 14nm line that can ship wafers to any one spot in the world faster than everyone else out there, and when it comes down to it they can deliver more volume than even intel for 14nm parts.
If Samsung has a immense demand for a certain part GloFo's Fab8 will also produce it.
If GloFo has immense demand for a certain part Samsung will also produce it.

For a long time people have been speculating that there will be a big industry shake up coming involving the two. Like Apple releasing a Mac Pro with Zen or K12 based CPUs.

>at first I was annoyed that user would say shit without a citation
>then I looked it up: breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/10/intel-cuts-300m-in-jobs-research-education-and-talent-to-fund-feminist-frequency/
Alright. Fuck Intel.

>Intel's sweating

Go ahead and post Intel's/Nvidia's stock. I'll wait.

making things successful for AMD would only increase the acquisition price for them. if Samsung really wanted to buy AMD they would have done it few years ago.

My 955be @4.0 is still kicking ass, whats the deal?

This is because most of 2016 has already happened. Hence, 2017 will be the first full year. Does not mean that the 2016 launch won't happen. It just means AMD doesn't have a time machine.

It's an x2 550.
Also can't unlock to a quadcore because defective cores.

When is Zen meant to launch again?

October, I think.

Shit, it is odd there's been no leaks then.

Same happened with Fury.

We didn't know anything about it, past the fact that it would use HBM. Hell, we didn't even know it's name until a week before it launched.

Lisa runs a tight ship.

There are ofcourse 2 sides of this:

The users know nothing, and speculate on performance or changes. Building hype amongst themselves. This hype can ofcourse backfire quite heavily in that the community 'calculated' the performance to be much more than it turns out. Like with Fury.
Now, had AMD put out specs here or there on Fury, people would not nearly have hyped it as much, and it would have been seen as better because of this in the eyes of the customers.
AMD need to say something on Zen before the hype gets out of hand, while there isn't much about now, the more tech events we go through near the end of this year without a Zen launch, the more the hype escalates.

>numerous linux kernel patches
>compiler optimizations
>AMD outright showed the Summit Ridge die during a live webcast
>fully detailing the core arch on the 23rd
>"no leaks"

Right

That's mostly because AMD doesn't want anyone to know its absolute shit. Just look at what happened with the RX480

If AMD gets acquired, it looses its x86 cross-licensing agreement with Intel, which will have to be re-negotiated by the new owner. So an acquisition seems very unlikely at this point.

You're making the massive assumption that they'll regain enough data center/enterprise market share to double their revenue.

Other user is right, that's a massive leap and it won't happen.

Retarded little kid, I'm not making any assumption whatsoever. That is what speculators are expecting for AMD in 2017, it isn't my own guesswork.

You mean how the RX 480 turned out to be one of the highest perf/dollar GPUs ever?
How it on average outperforms the GTX 970, R9 390, and R9 290X?
How a die designed to be as cheap as possible hit all of its performance targets?

Yeah, that sure is shitty.

They've gone from 6.4 billion in total revenue in 2010 to 3.9 billion in 2015. Nobody is speculating 10 billion in revenue for AMD in 2016, lmfao. A jump like that has almost never occurred without some sort of acquisition.

AMD have made some really interesting enterprise products, there's no reason not to expect activity.

The FirePro S7100X, Hardware Visualised.
SSG, I can only assume everyone has seen the performance of it at the moment. (96fps @ 8k in video playback and cleanup. if you're unaware)
There we also some leaks a few months back regarding an Enterprise grade APU.

The potential is there. It just needs to be timed right. Though the SSG is going to be massive for AMD, consider for a second the fact that Pixar's Render Farm runs on AMD. Then add the SSG to that. That's a massive customer right there. Not only that, but should they downscale the SSG, give the customer some variety in SSD capacity, they could open it up to a bunch more businesses.

I'm not saying we shouldn't expect activity. This shitstain thinks that they're going to hit 10 billion in revenue in 2017. They won't.

Once again, you retarded little kid, that isn't my own guesswork.
Not that I expect a child to understand something so simple.

chill with the whole calling me a child thing, you sound like a virgin.

find me an article from any relatively reputable analyst or research firm saying that they're going to gain that much market share and i'll shut up.

>inb4 you cant find any

It's hard to say really.

Should Zen turn out to be semi-competitive, all of the businesses still running on Opteron would probably upgrade.

Then you have those running on Older Xeons, and weighing the cost of upgrading to new ones vs Opterons.

Again, if Zen is semi competitive, then the low power potential could mean we see some stronger GPUs in Zen based APUs, and a nice bump from the laptop market because of this.

$10b does seem a tough target, but if that's what analysts are estimating, then it must be achievable.
All things considered, AMD are sitting at near as makes no difference, $6.9/share..That's the highest they've been in nearly 4 years.

2017 relies on Zen being semi-competitive with Haswell/Devil's Canyon. Should that happen, I think $10b will be a walk in the park for AMD.

Self correction.

>AMD are sitting at near as makes no difference, $6.6/share
Hadn't bothered to check for a day or two.

I hope it's the real deal, that's all I'm saying.

We all benefit when AMD and Intel are taking lumps out of each other. If they show up with some shite that is bested by last years i5's then fuck everything.

>I'll just sit here and talk out of my ass and call everyone wrong
>then I'll beg to be spoonfed which shows I haven't even bothered researching the topic at all
>b-but if you don'tspoon feed me I win!

Your behavior is that of a child, you are most definitely a retarded little kid. Guarantee you're not over the age of 18.

Good argument. I still don't think 10 billion is even plausible. Intel has AMD on a leash at 15% market share (AMD at 1%), they won't let them steal that much share.

sad part is, through repetition they actually get kids to believe it

nvidia consistently shows that the quality of your product is meaningless

>waiting for Zen
>waiting for tech that Intel had years ago
OP why are you such a fag? Just buy, Intel. No matter what AMD does with Zen it will continue to be trash and years behind Intel.

Marketing really is everything. Sponsor the right things to plaster your logo everywhere, pay for banner ads on the top of tech sites all over, pay youtube e-celebs to talk about your product.
You could release garbage and it will sell in droves.

lmao im saying that no reputable analysts have even implied that AMD is going to more than double their revenue by 2017. instead of showing me that they have, you've called me a child for like 3 posts in a row. you're irrelevant at this point lol