Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums,

Between an ASUS GeForce GTX 960 Strix 4GB and an ASUS Radeon R9 380 Strix 4GB which would you choose and why?

(Asking about these models specifically for reasons of preference for the brand and budget restrictions).

Bamp?

An opinion please

dont buy asus
sapphire for amd
evga for nvidia
msi is ok for both

>budget restrictions

When you are so poor, you should get a model with 3 years warranty.

And I would ditch everything and went for GTX980 because prices are going down.

Shouldn't you just buy RX 480?

Problem is that I don't live in the US, so most of these GPUs are way more expensive than over there.

GTX980, for instance, costs more than twice the price of GTX960 over here.

Do you mean the Radeon R9 480X? It's way more expensive than the R9 480, out of my budget.

>ASUS
no.
Buuuuuut in all seriousness get the r9 380(x) or the rx 480. At least in my country the 380s were quite a bit cheaper even when gtx900/r9300 series were still the latest, and the 380 beats the 960 in every bench i found with google. And the mantra Sup Forums likes to repeat is sapphire for amd, evga for nvidia. Gigabyte and msi and such seem to be good too with both teams. Personally had experience with msi and sapphire and sapphire is a no brainer if you go with amd (which you should in your supposed budget).

Those are both obselete trash. Unless you can get the 960 dirt cheap refurbished, don't bother.

Just checked the prices. In my currency, the GTX 960 I was interested in costs $900. Meanwhile, the Sapphire R9 380 costs $1333, and the Sapphire RX 480 costs $1444, so it's a pretty sharp difference there.

>900 fucking burger monies for a 960
Do you live in fucking north korea or something?
Oh and you should know that the 960 cant properly utilize 4gb of vram so you can save more money by going with a 2gb version. And remember, no asus. But do keep in mind that the rx480 will propably destroy it and the increase from a 380 is not too bad so if i were you i'd go for the rx480 or maybe even the gtx1060.

>asus
Fuck off with your shit bait.

>you can save more money by going with a 2gb version
depends what you're doing. For me I use my GTX 960 for my HTPC on my 4k TV. To playback UHD content the video can actually use a surprising amount of vRAM. I see 2.2GB+ sometimes. Usually it's a bit under 2GB, but still I think it would potentially give choppy playback if I had a 2GB GTX 960.

You do realize half of this board is just people from other boards looking for advice.

>asus strix
It's bait.

The model I was looking at of the GTX 960 that's going for $900 is the 2GB one. Oh, just checked and the 2GB version of the R9 380 is a little less expensive than what I said before, $1100 (which is the same price as the EVGA 4GB version of the GTX 960). Is it worth it, or if I decide for the 380 should I absolutely get the 4GB version?
GTX 1060 is completely over my budget (~$2000)

Mostly I'm interested in old or strategy games, so it really isn't an issue. I won't be playing in any higher resolution than 1080p, and the only new game I can see myself playing is Civilization VI. I'm a casual gamer at best (the only FPS or something like that that I play is fucking Skyrim).

Indeed, I never posted here before today. But really, it isn't bait. It's just that my mobo is from ASUS, and I don't know... I just like them.

Also, seeing now that the picture you posted is from Tom's Hardware, I was actually reading a few threads there about all this before I posted here. And from what I could see people there don't tend to diss ASUS all that much.

One comment there I particularly remember was: "EVGA has the best warranty (or so they say, it was not so great in my case), MSI overclocks the best, ASUS has great quality, Gigabyte overclocks nicely and is mostly cheaper, just go with whatever you like, all will work and provide equal performance."

But anyway, I have to allege ignorance and admit that I don't even understand this graph you shared. Is it bad?

Where the fuck do you live op?
Those prices are insane.
Anyway the r9 380 is better than the gtx 960. Considering your needs I think the r9 380 would be overkill, also, it's really power hungry. I used to play skyrim with a ton of mods, HD textures and enb in a HD 7870 and did just fine.

Asus is just overpriced and nothing special really. They like to pretend their products are premium.

Third-world, mate. Brazil. BRL is way devalued these days. 1 dollar = 3.26 BRL. We also have around 60% import tax, so it's impracticable to buy something from the US or somewhere else that has non-insane prices online.

I'm making a new build now, which even 'tho it's a low-to-mid range is way fucking better than my current video card (an Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT). I've been playin Skyrim in 1024x768 and in the lowest settings, and having a few stutters playing Crusader Kings 2. Any of these cards will be a stellar improvement.

But anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll see if the prices on the R9 380 eventually drop a little and make it a little more competitive. I have a Corsair RM750 PSU, so even 'tho it's power hungry, I don't see it as a real problem.

There's a "PowerColor" version of the R9 480 for $980 (cheaper than the ASUS GTX 960 Strix...). But since I never heard of that brand I'm assuming it's crap.

You sound autistic as fuck, powercolor makes some of the best ATI cards and is usually the cheapest.

Try to get an Intel processor. Those perform better in grand strategy games and skyrim Also lurk for used parts. That psu is overkill. The r9 380 consumes a lot of power compared to the gtx 960. But not enough to guarantee the use of a 750w psu.
Care too share a list of what you are buying?

Sure.
Mobo: ASUS H110M-A.
CPU: I was originally going to buy an i3 6100, but I think I'll spend some more bucks in this and get a i5 6600K.
RAM: 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz (even 'tho I know it'll only go as far as 2133MHz).

I already had the PSU, so no cost there, but I know it's overkill. I originally bought it when I was conceiving a way better PC.

Powercolor is very good, the only problem is that they really fucked up the aesthetics of the design.
That Red Devil shit design looks chuuni as fuck. Pic related is all I can think of when I see it.

Don't get a K processor with a locked mb

Really? I honestly never heard of them. If this is true, I'm guessing I should pick up a PowerColor R9 380X that's in the same price range as a GTX 960.

The mobo is the cheapest thing in this build (BRL 300). I was considering the unlocked version of the CPU 'cause it isn't that much more expensive (BRL 1090 v. BRL 1160), and if I ever want to upgrade this build, I could get a better mobo and OC.

Op. Don't build something that you aren't going to use.
I fell for the gayman pc meme and barely use it. I play mostly older games and non graphically challenging stuff.
It's nice having a powerful pc but I don't know, I don't really use its power and I feel like I wasted money.

This really.

I sold my desktop for a thinkpad, and with the expresscard you could do an eGPU setup with an used card from your local craigslist (since your import fees are fucking inflated) if you want games.

Fair enough. I won't overreach, nor extend my budget.

Originally I actually had my eye on a far less expensive GPU: a GeForce GT 740, that costs half the price of the GTX 960 I'm currently interested in. Perhaps even that could be enough for me.

>Powercolor
>never heard of it

nigga they were producing quality shit before you were soiling diapers.

Having an unlocked on an H board is just a waste really.

And if you do some OEM windows install it'll probably tie it to the mobo anyway.

Imo an i3 6100, a cheap motherboard of your choice, and ssd and either the gtx 960 or the r9 380 would be a good pc for 1080 gaming.

I might actually go down that route indeed. I failed to mention that before, but I already own a 250GB SSD that will be my main drive.

I'm now just choosing between either the Nvidia GTX 960 2GB and the Power Color R9 380 4GB.

I meant EVGA GTX 960.

maybe a 750ti fills your requirements while being cheaper

I'd get the r9 380