Sup Forums and reddit is using ubuntu as their server OS whats your excuse for not using ubuntu?

Sup Forums and reddit is using ubuntu as their server OS whats your excuse for not using ubuntu?

Other urls found in this thread:

jordanhall.co.uk/general-articles/avatar-film-rendered-with-enormous-ubuntu-server-farm-4701468/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm not gay

Im not gay

I'm not gay

CentOS is better as a web server.

Im not poor.

It's shit

Because?

I'm a *BSD server user.

Because i like alpine linux

CentOS is more stable. Canonical is faggots. Also the endorsement of leddit and cuckchan is hardly positive.

You call us Ubuntu users gay, but you're just jealous that we get butt stuff.

All of my servers run freebsd on my own custom architecture hardware. The most wonderful part of FreeBSD is good it is when you want to customize it to fit custom hardware.

AMA. Yes this is a well known commercial product.

I thought Sup Forums ran on a BSD server

Arguing about distros/languages is a sign of a retard.

Some Ubuntu compatibility page says my laptop is not compatible.

Is that gg?

Hw?

I use it for my home server, desktop runs Arch

Why do people have their own servers in house? What are you hosting? Is it expensive to have that?

but i do use ubuntu faggot op

Sup Forums is ran on a Mac Mini cluster faggot

B-but I'm using it desu senpai...

Running your own server in house is generally more secure. You know who comes in and who goes out.

We host or demo servers for bigger companies including Netflix. It's expensive to start off but once you have clients the ball starts to roll and you can expand to other projects too.

Sup Forums and reddit is using ubuntu as their server OS.

muh games

me too, alas no league of legends native client, but steam works just fine with nvidia drivers

>install SteamOS on my 2009 laptop that was actually able to play Crysis at low settings
>Big Picture mode lags and shit on it

Feels bad man

grow up kid, or at least get some fucking taste.

and never reply to me again

everything is too easy and it doesnt break with every update

trips of truth has spoken

B-b-b-but I am using it?!

Not only hosting, ubuntu also super powerfull for other critical tasks.

jordanhall.co.uk/general-articles/avatar-film-rendered-with-enormous-ubuntu-server-farm-4701468/

Lazy QA team. Releasing an LTS in the state it's in is a joke. The Unity right click options are useless by default.

yo mom is useless by default. LOL!

Dota runs like lubed.

I ran it, liked it, was pretty nice. But wanted to try other distros. Arch has been the best by far for me. No reason for me to go back.

What?

Wow great argument fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions

KDE master race

This.

Stable. Sane defaults. Secure OS.

Because I use *BSD for my servers.

Sup Forums doesn't use Ubuntu because it's too mainstream.

I am. Just spent part of the weekend upgrading to 16.04.

And now the Launcher, menu bars, and window controls are missing. I have to open a terminal to launch applications and even shut down the machine. Luckily I can right-click the desktop to open a terminal because ctrl-alt-T doesn't work. I'm keeping the settings panel open so I can adjust volume.

I've been searching around for fixes, but nothing has worked so far. Probably going to reformat and reinstall when I get home ...been wanting to do that for a while anyway... hopefully that'll "fix" it. Though I remember I was having similar issues in the past from fresh installs of Mint 10.

ofc

I use it at work for file recovery.

How do I make kde look gewd?

Because Canonical fucked over everyone with a dedicated GPU by cutting support for closed drivers. Which is pretty fucking suspicious considering that they started cutting deals with Microshit not long after this. Microsoft is at it again with their underhanded shit, and I fear this time they might have actually killed Linux off on the desktop. Not because their products are good, but because of the anti-competitive tactics they use on a regular basis.

because I know how to use gentoo

>not on Mac Minis running Windows Server

Because Unity, Ubuntu Phone and Mir are completely unnecessary, just use Debian desu senpai

>looks shitty even after ricing
>dodgy support for commercial software
>no iTunes (nor iCloud shit I think)
>playing vidya over GPU throughput is fucking complicated and requires very specific hardware
>stability is only slightly better than Winshit

That would be the main stuff from the top of my head, I really want to abandon Windows cancer but Lunix is simply not an alternative (yet?)

EXE files are easier to use

Just grow up mate. :^)
how is summer though?

Spotted the retard

>no productive software
>le grow up meme

Feel free to ignore vidya stuff, the other issues remain.

If I had a server I would run Debian stable on it.
On the desktop I run Arch Linux.

Red Hat > Canonical

>I am a stupid neckbeard
:^)

>Shit could be worse

Wahre Worte

lol
>he uses Windows 7

I'm running Debian on my server.

>buy 4 GB RAM
>only 3.5 GB usable

LOL did you get nvidia RAM?

>Sup Forums servers using ubuntu
Citation needed

>ubuntu

They run a special version of Ubuntu that is optimized for a cluster of Mac Minis, it's common knowledge and moot's even posted about it before

Because I prefer Linux mint

>puts watermarks on his screenshots

No they don't, you dumbass. They run FreeBSD.

Ubuntu is how he fixed the my squirrel errors, FreeBSD was the cause

it runs on ubuntu faggot.

Sure thing kid

>I just got BTFO

I hate Ubuntu. I immediately lose respect for anyone who runs it, and especially those who advocate it. Here’s why:
Name 20 features, release-for-release or year-for-year that have not come from Redhat. Redhat basically runs the show when it comes to Linux. This includes things like NetworkManager, Gnome, Xorg, GCC, glibc, LVM, KVM, kernel, file systems et al. Redhat has developers making significant contributions to the entire FOSS software stack upstream.
Ubuntu on the other hand pulls most of the heavy weight packaging from Debian with each release. They then perform minor patching and testing. It generally lags behind Fedora by a release or two in parts of the software stack. I never see @ubuntu or @cannocial email addresses in upstream changelogs.
So tell me again, how exactly does Ubuntu innovate? They even struggle to release a new theme with each release, and artwork is about the only original thing in Ubuntu.
Yes, Ubuntu is stable because they are standing on the shoulders of giants. Most of the hard work is hashed out before they ever import software into their repositories. This is fine, and what FOSS is all about, but I prefer to be in with the leaders rather than the followers.
What really irks me and what has really brewed my hatred are Ubuntu users. They seem to think Ubuntu is responsible for all that is good in the FOSS world. I have just proven how false this is. In my experience, Ubuntu support mechanisms (IRC, mailing lists, forums) are much less helpful than the alternative.
If you want a nice desktop distro, run Fedora or OpenSUSE. If you like control, run Gentoo. If you need stability, run RHEL/CentOS or Debian. But please, don’t feed the idiot magnet that is Ubuntu!

Nice pasta but what's wrong with Ubuntu GNU/Linux?

>stable
>you mean outdated
Christ, those double dubs wasted

Nothing.

Dear god people.

If any of you (and i know you faggots are) are using linux as your everyday OS, you are fucking stupid. None of you are important enough to warrant needing some super secure thing. One of the reasons it's good for security is because if you want to open a .txt you need to write a whole new fucking program just to open it. If I want to install a god damn internet browser, i dont want to have to spend 4 years learning C## to look at some fucking video on youtube.

It's not compatible with any games, it's nothing special for programming (unless youre looking to practice coding by writing new programs to open your fucking browser). So, what else is there besides the internet? Use something that doesnt take 8 fucking years to learn to use.

If youre using it to run a server, great, I can see that. But you faggots using it as a daily OS are so fucking stupid.

Sure, it looks nice. But even if every time I took a shit, it came out looking like a perfect goddamn sculpture, at the end of the day it's still a pile of shit.

I guess you might be able to impress your friends with your super badass computer knowlege, but you probably dont have any. Thats not a personal thing against any of you, but I really cant imagine having time to socialize when you have to spend 18+ hours a day to learn how to install a fucking program.

But do what you want, if you enjoy having to type SUDO SUDO FUCKMYASS every time you want to check facebook, be my guest.

It's too easy/convenient/boring/automatic/justwerky

I have to tinker or I go insane.

>if you want to open a .txt you need to write a whole new fucking program just to open it.
And you expect us not to laugh at your computer literacy?

Some one post that dumb windows user that couldn't get internet working

Hey Sup Forums. So I just installed Ubuntu on my PC, it's an ancient machine and I needed an easy linux distro to work with, and somebody told me Ubuntu was the simplest one to use. So I installed it, attempted to run the set up for my wireless adapter, and I soon found out that linux can't run .exe files without wine. So this is where I'm stuck. I put Wine on a USB flash drive, and now I'm having a hard time installing it so that I can finally install my Wireless network adapter. I really need your help Sup Forums...

Typical windumb rant #28432

>whats your excuse for not using ubuntu?
Literally won't boot since I upgraded to GTX 1080s.

It's called "Network Manager", retarded windumb. It's on top right :^)

Sorry, Linux takes a higher IQ

I discovered that you'd never get an answer to a problem from Linux Gurus by asking. You have to troll in order for someone to help you with a Linux problem. For example, I didn't know how to find files by contents and the man pages were way too confusing. What did I do? I knew from experience that if I just asked, I'd be told to read the man pages even though it was too hard for me. Instead, I did what works. Trolling. By stating that Linux sucked because it was so hard to find a file compared to Windows, I got every self-described Linux Guru around the world coming to my aid. They gave me examples after examples of different ways to do it. All this in order to prove to everyone that Linux was better. So if you're starting out Linux, I advise you to use the same method as I did to get help. Start the sentence with "Linux is gay because it can't do XXX like Windows can". You will have PhDs running to tell you how to solve your problems.

>I didn't know how to find files by contents and the man pages were way too confusing. What did I do?
Learn how to read :^^)

Again, Linux requires that you have a bit higher than average IQ level

>Fun things you can do on Lunix
Pretend that the difficulty of use and the incomprehensibility of commands inherent in Lunix is actually a badge of honor.
Look at ugly, distorted fonts in your browser and on any other application you might want to run
Reformat and install another distribution. (People have been known to do this continuously for weeks. Hint: they all suck. Stop wasting your time.)
Watch a console display error messages.
Convince yourself that Open Office is "just as good" as Microsoft Office.
Read countless manuals to do the simplest of tasks. And still fail
Say you use Lunix (which will get your ass kicked, even by other Lunix users.)
Think of ways at work to bring up the subject of how you use Lunix, because the penguin thing didn't work.
Fail to realize that, penguin or not, noone gives a fuck about what operating system you use.
Eat KFC chicken around the clock.
Manually edit config files.
Run a virtual instance of Windows so you can play games, while at the same time saying how much you hate Microsoft.
Argue that KDE is better than GNOME.
Argue that GNOME is better than KDE.
Argue that both GNOME and KDE are inferior to your chosen environment.
Develop carpal tunnel from keyboard usage between bouts of excessive self-pleasure borne out of social-retardation.
Depend on easy to use programs like vi.
Try to learn how to do simple tasks in emacs, eventually using notepad to complete the same task.
Keep your virginity.
Be a badass non-conformist.
Never get viruses,ever,like how a virgin never gets STDs.
Graphically chart the shrinkage of your penis over time with bundled, GPL'd software. This is a highly requested feature among lunix users.
Discussing the awesome non-ntfs filesystems you can use with lunix, for example one written by a convicted murderer.
Spend hours of your life compiling bits of code, just to find out it was EPIC FAIL!

>Experienced windows user

>Sup Forums and reddit are using it

For a web/SQL and Mail server, especially on a VPS its lighter weight and more stable that Ubuntu IMO.

>what are release cycles
>what are support cycles
>what is a sane amount of updates

is this the new desktop thread ;

What is even the point of using linux as a good server OS when it can't even run anything? The best stack is Razor + MSSQL/LINQ + jQuery.
>inb4 PHP or node.js

What does any of that mean?

That's why Sup Forums is slow as shit and Reddit crashes everyday?

I'm not Gay Tony.

But, does it run Crysis?

>jquery
>2010 + 6

Testing Debian, Linux Mint and Ubuntu.
Trying to find the one for me. As far as I can tell, Mint is pretty comfy and windows like. Debian is neat but you don't get any luxury for the lazy people. Ubuntu is just a different themed Mint for me, comfy but don't like how that desktop theme looks and works.

Anybody uses Fedora, what's that like?

Manjaro is the new meme

Yeah, at low settings.
5450 master race