Thinkpad as main laptop

Who here uses his Thinkpad laptop as his main machine ?

Are you able to do all you need (software development, etc.) ?

Where in the house are you working on your Thinkpad mainly ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BHvdnCpOuRk
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

here
Latex, notepad.
laying on the couch

Here, T420.

With 16gb ram, 3 drives and eGPU yeah, upgrading to a quad core soon for housefire temps.

Docked most of the time.

Ayo b0ss. T460.

Can't run Photoshop as well as I'd like but that's my fault for being a cheap fuck with high expectations. I mostly use GIMP anyways.

Usually outside of the house, either on my deck or somewhere else entirely. I guess if I am in the house it'd be my bedroom when I'm doing research for this scientific paper I've been working on since I turned 13. It's top secret though.

I have a P70 with i7-6829HQ and 32gb ram. Now ask me again if a thinkpad is usable as a main machine. Go ahead ask me.

is a thinkpad usable as main machine?

Since I got my T420 the only thing I've used my main rig for is to in-house stream to my living room. For all my other needs I have Krita, LibreOffice, Synfig, and a few editing softwares I haven't tried yet. If I can get Ableton to work through Wine then Steam will be the only reason for my desktop.

Me, x201 running xubuntu
Yes (everything but gaming and video editing)
Desk or bed

Do you guys developed some kind of back / neck pain for using a laptop for hours at a time ?

Also, when developing, is a 14 / 15 inch screen big enough for 1920x1080 resolution ?

>everything but gaming
just realized that I am actually using it for videogames in that picture. wow.

Comfy af bro

hey man, I just posted in a different thread, and I wanted to know this too but didn't want to as it to fglt

is controller support good for linux? as many of you gaming isn't as magical as it was when I was a kid, we aren't 14 anymore - I don't mind having to lose most of my games by switching from windows.

I would still like to emulate though, and was confused as to whether I should buy 360 controller, a knockoff 360, a logitech, or a ps3 controller.
How would the wireless work on Linux, does a ps3 controller connect through bluetooth?

pls respond, really pretty please

Ps3 has native controller support if you plug it in. Getting the Bluetooth to work takes some tweaking but it's possible.

>is controller support good for linux?
Yes, in some cases better than on Windows
>I would still like to emulate though, and was confused as to whether I should buy 360 controller, a knockoff 360, a logitech, or a ps3 controller.
Xbox 360 is your best bet, although ps3 works well too.
>How would the wireless work on Linux, does a ps3 controller connect through bluetooth?
Yes, even better than on Windows because you don't need to install Chinese bloatware. It just works out of the box.

Also install lubuntu, it's currently the best ubuntu derivative.

Bluetooth for Sixaxis works almost out of the box on *buntu 16.04. There are like 1-2 packages you need to install and then just pair the device.

Would those packages would work on Mint? What I was reading for 17.3 you would have to get a few packages and run in a script or two and even then it isn't 100% reliable.

What egpu are you using? What cpu will you upgrade to?

thanks a lot guys, really mean it
totally serious btw

then, do I go buy a 360 controller, or a ps3?
sounds like ps3 controller is the better one?

then, which of these discs do I put into my thinkpad? I like Lubuntu interface more, does it have the same compatibility with ubuntu's repositories? I realize that is a retarded question, what I am trying to ask is that would there be any incompatibilities with something installed from official ubuntu repos due to the different DE?

I am a linux noobie and need my laptop working like asap, just been trying to decide which one to install. all ubuntu derivatives get rid of the amazon problem right?

GTX 950, my requirements aren't higher than maxed CS:GO so it's enough.

Gonna upgrade from an i5 2520m to an i7 2720qm, waiting for FedEx to deliver it.

forgot pic

Thinkpad T460p
i7 6820HQ, Geforce 940MX, 32gb RAM, 1 TB SSD, 1440p screen.

It does everything great for me. For basic productivity work, it gets 8 hours of battery life at 30% brightness, which I find is more than enough. Runs the occasional vidya just fine, I've played BF4 on it at 768p, medium settings, around 50fps.

That's a niggerrigged eGPU, right?

exp gdc + psu

>Would those packages would work on Mint?
If I knew them off the top of my head, I'd post them. But I don't, so I can't. Sorry. In any event, I'm sure they are available in the Mint repositories and it should be no problem even if they weren't. Sixaxis has been working on Ubuntu for quite some time now and there are a million tutorials on youtube.

>optical media
Wow lad, you indian? If you are going oversees and have no clue about linux, maybe it's not so good to switch systems now. Better stick to Windows, otherwise you might be in trouble at an inconvenient time.

my w7 install went kaput, refuse to use windows 10 for obvious reasons

not a total linux noobie just been couple of years since I touched it, and also I have 3 usbs but not of them are expendable that I can rewrite them to make a bootable device with it

X230 (i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD) with a dock, 27" monitor and external thinkpad keyboard. Don't really need more power for 2D CAD and software development.

I have a quad core ITX desktop, but I only use it for gaymen once in a while, or when I have lots of vacation photos to process.

Thanks user, I'm off to the repositories. Will post results if I get it working.

I'd be interested to know how the cpu upgrade goes, I've been considering it for a while.

I could post about it in /tpg/ if you want, they should deliver it tomorrow if everything goes right.

T420
Yes
Yes
Docked to dual 1680x1050 monitors, a SSK2, and a logitech G600 for browser macros. I use my x61t while in bed because its comfy and it has a new battery.

As a former RetroArch dev, I'm pleased with your setup.

I was about to write an insulting comment regarding the poor usability of Retroarch but now that I've spent some time fiddling about with the menus, it's actually quite powerful. I just wish it wasn't so inconsistent and fragmented.

Anyways, thanks for your work.

That'd be grand mate. I'll keep an eye out.

I have a T420 (2540m, 8GB RAM, 120GB 850 EVO + 250GB HDD, Windows 7 & Fedora 24) I use to bed browse mostly or when I'm lounging in the living room.
I mostly just use it to browse the internet and listen to music, but sometimes I'll use Steam In-Home Streaming to stream games from my desktop.

I really don't see why people think thinkpads can't encode video.

Thinking about picking one up, can you use an eGPU with it?

Me, T420s
Web dev and some entertainment
In my desk

Connected to a monitor or as is ?

I appreciate your taste in vidya

Duel monitors

> ?
> ?
> ?
Stop with your crimes against typography ASAP.

youtube.com/watch?v=BHvdnCpOuRk

You know nothing of toughness.

He could be french

and of course nothing went right

>his
Check privilege, CIS scum

Old thinkpads probably make good improvised weapons too.

I will say, after a while(months) the clitmouse is making my fingers ache.
Switching to a vim-like browser has helped a lot for my general usability.

>search x201 on ebay
>around $200

what the fuck, that is the same cost of a T430?

People don't like the T430.

why, isn't the only difference between the t430 and the t420 the keyboard?

x201 has a 1st gen i-series cpu, wouldn't it be around 100-120 by now?

first gen i-series performs very admirably, with the downside being heat. The keyboard is a huge killer for the newer thinkpad market, at least if yo ulisten to /tpg/.

I would guess that the X201 holds onto its value a bit better than later models due to being one of the last 16:10 Thinkpads, but $200 is still a retarded price. They shouldn't be more than $150 unless they come with a ton of extras.

is a thinkpad usable as a main machine?

I could get by with my T420 with discrete graphics very happily if it wasn't for one gaym I'm addicted to as of recent (Rust)

is that a pic inside your house?

that's fucking gigantic

>filename

Not them but no. It only has USB 3.0 and the dock is no better.

Libraries make the best comfy spots. Especially if the have an area in the back for quiet shit with a ton of power outlets.

P70 with Xeon+32GB RAM

Hi I'm poor. If that turns you off ignore my post.

I use a x201 as my primary workstation. 8 gb of rams + ssd. It's connected to two external monitors via dock. It works fine for programming.

I installed windows on it once because I wanted to play league. However even with the lowest performance it was unable to handle. I also have a x220 that I tested this on, and using very low settings you are able to play league.

My current x220 is pretty beat up, and so I'm using the x201. When school is in session I take it with me. I would like to switch to a x220, but I need about ~$75 to purchase a x220.

>Who here uses his Thinkpad laptop as his main machine ?
X220T and T420
>Are you able to do all you need (software development, etc.) ?
Yes, t420 can _play_ games, X220T is nice for doodling
>Where in the house are you working on your Thinkpad mainly ?
my bed and the patio

I do weird ambient/noise/sound collage/spoken word music/performance shit on a thinkpad running windows 10 and audiomulch. I use Sonar X2 as my main recording/mixing DAW, maschine for beats, and Audiomulch for performances

>walking back to my car after class
>basketball american comes up and tries to culturally enrich me
>quickly grab T400 out of bag and start flailing it around wildly
>start yelling gibberish
>basketball american fucks off
>continue on my way home

DUDE

T450s here. Not really my main machine, but is my only machine when I'm at uni.
>Emulates consoles well enough with gc adapter
>Plays the popular PC games well enough on low
>Comfy development
>Photoshop in a windows vm for whenever I get a graphic design commission/feel artsy

Can do all I need but i've gotten too used to desktops to give it up

This is my main machine

I don't frequently ask much of it but it runs Photoshop, Android Studio, Gamemaker, etc without issues

I use it at this desk mainly but it gets around

Does a t420 support egpus?

third reply

What monitor?

Yes. T450s.
Yes. I didn't get a meme machine.
Usually on the couch, otherwise on my desk in the sunroom hooked up to a second monitor. I'll be using it all over campus in a month from now.

yes, search up PE4L 2.1b
going to get one for myself soon

I do for work, and it runs Fedora

Yes luckily

>Where in the house are you working on your Thinkpad mainly ?

Home office and work office when I go there

kek

Me and many others.
Yes.
Where in the house are you working on your Thinkpad mainly ?
>At my desk.

T420, mainly browsing and making VNs with renpy, watching anime.
My room like pic related.
Thinking of getting dock, what do you recommend?

Mini Dock Series 3.