Want to hold out for AMD Zen

>want to hold out for AMD Zen
>computer hardware is slowly breaking day by day and I keep having to replace or deal with crashes in the meantime
>Zen delayed till Q1 2017

I don't know if I managed to hold out for Zen much longer. I really wanted to upgrade to a Zen octocore, but my hardware is telling me otherwise.

Imagine if AMD goes bankrupt and sells off their CPU division and then Zen never happens.

Zen will deliver dissapointing performance, just like Bulldozer.

Enjoy waiting, OP.

Just buy i7 6700k you retard

Zen will only be as good as Haswell, a skymeme will beat it any day.

The only redeeming point of upgrading to Zen over Skylake is longer upgrade path assuming Intel changes their socket again soon.

you can do it froggy

Stop lying. Zen will deliver haswell level 4c8t for under 200.

>source: my ass

It is simple, user.

>I want new hardware, but my current hardware works and I can wait
>Wait

>I want new hardware, but my current hardware is broken and/or I cannot wait
>Do not wait

yeah okay.

Remember when Bulldozer was all of AMD's answers to the 2500k?

And how Piledriver would finally get AMD back on track?

And even before that, the X4 955 could not compete with an i5.

AMD has not had a competitor for a relevant market for a

>tfw got a 4770k for $130 three years ago with my company discount

I dunno about you, but I don't trust AMD. Bulldozer was supposed to deliver IPC improvements. It didn't.

tfw the past 2 weeks ive seen 3 deals for 6700k under $250

I don't even know why anyone would place any trust on AMD at this point.

Is there any chance you'll ever unbias your guide or is NVIDIA and Intel paying you too much?

Guide is based on community feedback. I am always happy to hear any suggestions, comments, or criticism, and will implement it if it is good, or tell you why if it is bad.

Summit Ridge wasn't delayed. AMD is holding the same time table they've been sticking by since the Zen core arch was first detailed.
Initial volume at the end of 2016, first full year of revenue being 2017.

AMD fired more than enough middle management to make up for their little forum visiting employees spreading misinfo prior to the Zambezi launch. Though they still have enough assholes in the company making non PR sanitized statements publicly.
Remember people talking about Fury being an "overclocker's dream?" That statement was made by one guy specifically referring to the board's VRM, and the water cooler. He wasn't talking about the ASIC specifically. Didn't stop that from media taking it out of context and spreading it like wild fire, only to have your average Fiji die be able to OC 50-70mhz max.

So your guide is based off paid shills telling you what they want to put on it?

Are you calling all of Sup Forums shills?

Most of Sup Forums sports Intel and shills Intel, so yeah.

Fuck! I'm in the same goddamned boat user.

errrr... both my 390s OC to 1115Mhz
my 390X OCs to 1117MHz

what guide are we talking about?

>That statement was made by one guy specifically
kek

Their entire PR team seems really disorganized and chaotic. It also seems like a lot of design moves they take are marketing buzz and not design choices -- high clock speeds and lots of cores to appeal to idiots. Guess advertisement is cheaper than R&D.

Their GPUs are, at the very least, competitive to NVIDIA. Some perform better, some perform worse. NVIDIA's not at the point they can write AMD off and do whatever the fuck they want. Intel's at that point already.

Nice 100% irrelevant post.

kill yourself

You don't read much do you?

>Didn't stop that from media taking it out of context and spreading it like wild fire, only to have your average Fiji die be able to OC 50-70mhz max.

Just saying, "average" with completely 0 sources or any of the such doesn't mean shit.

Test samples of Zen are already out there. The main catch is being super low power when idle. It's going to only have around Haswell performance tho. Intel still wins as usual.

The R9 390/X is not Fiji.
So yet again, nice 100% irrelevant posts.

I'm in the same boat.

I recently had by desktop's motherboard die (and replaced it), but I need to upgrade the video card if I wan to use it for anything new. I'm hoping to do a new build centred around Zen and AMDs next performance oriented graphics chips, but I don't know how long I can wait. (I'll need to wait for release, Linux support, and probably need to upgrade to Win10 on my Win7 drive).

I'm probably going to buy an 8pin 480X once they're available to bridge the gap.

When's Pascal coming out? Yes, I'm an Nvidia noob. It's all I know.

The whole Bulldozer design goal was too achieve high serial performance through high clocks and high parallel performance through lots of cores, the first was supposed be accomplished by a big pipeline and a efficient lithography, which GloFo failed spectacularly with a really leaky node, the second was supposed to be possible thanks to CMT, which somewhat failed in the first 'dozer due to really bad design ideas
GCN has always been a low clocked arch, so their entire PR team doesn't do the Intel GHz myth

Do you have any recommendations for the guide? Any criticisms that I can use to improve it?

RX 480 support was available on launch on Linux (I got one about two days after launch), it was just a little bit annoying to install.

Basically it involved sticking a bunch of hardware binaries into a directory, compiling and installing the git versions of xf86-video-amdgpu, libdrm, mesa, lib32-mesa and a test build of the kernel.

The one that tells you how not to be new as fuck

source:

multiple generations behind
interstellary lower research and development funding than Intel
No own fabs anymore
All the top talent is working at Intel.

And tards think that Zen can be better than Intel?

Zen will be shit deal with it.

I don't think Amd problems stem from middle management.

>goal was too achieve high serial performance through high clocks

>hey guize netburst turned really well for intel
>lets do the same but make it even shittier
Bulldozer was a design failure. Even if they used the best intel fabs, it still would be shit.

>Wanting haswell performance in 2016
I do get that cpu performance isn't that important to most people these days but fuck.

I'd rather have an 8350 on a gaming board, 32 gigs of ram and a mid to high to end GPU, then get a 6700k, the shit is cash, even if it is an old ass 32nm.

The fx gets its ass destroyed by the i3 in most tasks while using less power and generating less heat...

Haswell performance is fine. It is 5%-10% lower than Skylake. Big whoop. If AMD can do Haswell performance for cheap, that is a win.

>while using less power and generating less heat...

You act like these are an isssue.

>i3 beats it
sure, in shit game benchmarks

Skylake is just 10% better than Haswell anyway, so Zen won't be that bad.

>It is 5%-10% lower than Skylake
So that means it can be 20% lower than kaby lake in extreme cases. No thanks.

It may also be more than 20% cheaper, making it the better value buy. Until it is launched, benched, and priced, we do not know.

>tfw my sandy bridge mobo died so i had to throw it and my 2500k into the trash while replacing it with 6700k

feelsbadman

Still running my i7-920 @ 4ghz.

Can't wait for zen to finally go back to AMD.