/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ashinkarov/i3-extras
ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/61432/why-wont-fedora-install-on-my-laptop/
fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bspwm
github.com/baskerville/bspwm
github.com/windelicato/dotfiles/wiki/bspwm-for-dummies
manjaro.github.io/Manjaro-BspWM-15.12-released/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software#Game_console_emulators
gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
occupyflash.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU FAGGOTS USING??

FreeBSD has less autism than Gentoo and has ports
Arch has less autism than Gentoo hand has ABS

No reason to run Gentoo these days

My question from the previous thread

Do Ubuntu derivatives run the same under the hood?

Would there be any sort of incompatibilities with software on a derivative versus the main distro?
Also, are .deb packages compatible with Ubuntu and *buntu?

Don't select the UEFI one, does some random shit

How can I spoof bittorrent upload data on Gnu/Linux?

All the ways I've seen use windows shit

How do I patch a package? github.com/ashinkarov/i3-extras

Favorite DE?

The one I'm using.

Alright, this screen is kind of confusing

There seem to be repeats of the same option?

I just want to install it

How hard is it going full freetard? I've got no gaymen or proprietary software holding me back anymore. Thinking about taking the plunge, but I can't lose youtube and Sup Forums. What say you Sup Forumsentoomen?

Hit enter. "Default" is fine.

To what extend do you require a website to be free? Do they have to publish their entire server-side source? How could you verify that that is what their server is actually running?

When I do that, a flashing cursor appears in the left corner and nothing happens.

Does this process take a long time, normally?

No, it does not. Not in my experience, anyway.

Scratch that

One step closer. :^)

Try to exit the shell.

git apply foo.diff

ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/61432/why-wont-fedora-install-on-my-laptop/
Seems to have the same problem.

live-rw does not exist, which is probably a problem with the USB creator.

fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
provides some useful USB write tools that should work.

I will check this out in the morning, thank you for the tip

Does anybody actually use Linux as their main operating system, especially on your PC and not memepad?

It was interesting to scroll through the BST thread and notice that literally nobody in them is running Linux. What gives?

what do u anons think of manjaro... seems to be a lot of arch cucks around Sup Forums so im curious to why its rarely mentioned here

mostly its all gentoo/arch/debian/ubuntu/mint

Mint (cinnamon) is the only Linux distro worth using on a daily basis. When you see people pushing Gentoo or Arch it is just trolling.

battlestation threads (aka desktop threads) are for Sup Forums transplants

see/bst/ != Sup Forums

People who want to show off their Linux systems do it in the desktop-threads.

Both are shit and you should have realized that on your own.

XFCE

I unironically like CDE

MATE is objectively the best DE at the current time, it has the most active development and strongest stability compared to the alternatives

>tfw not cool or clever enough to come up with a good host name

KDE.

Debian is on all my machines, windows on one. I only boot into windows every ~2 months.

Yes.
No, except if the software was made for Unity (e.g. Unity Tweak Tool)
Yes.

Default.

I do. Full time Linux only since 2011.

Can everyone please stop recommending unetbootin forever? Thanks

4 months Linux only, no Wine, no Windows.
Going to reinstall Win7 just for occasional video games because I've played nothing but Mines and Supertuxkart since then.

I don't think anyone here has ever recommended unetbootin.

>4 months Linux only, no Wine, no Windows.
>Going to reinstall Win7 just for occasional video games because I've played nothing but Mines and Supertuxkart since then.
There are quite a few decent GNU/Linux games on GOG.

I know, but none of my favorites are.

Clarification: most of my favorites are on GOG, but only for Windows.

Happens, you can slowly make it better by not buying games without native ports in the future.

Try to stop me.
If we're lucky we'll get more games using an open API in the future so chances are ports for Linux become more common. Until then, I don't want to miss my favorites that I already bought.

I have Manjaro installed on the testing branch, but I noticed that screenfetch never updates the OS version even though I'm updating to new release versions of Manjaro. Is it just a bug with screenfetch or what?

I'm using gentoo as my main op, comfy as fuck

I know it exists because I've heard people talk about it, but is there a specific name for a program where you serve music from your computer and stream them onto your device over your network? This isn't MPD, is it? Would MPD's documentation tell me how to do this?

KDE but only because >muh thumbnails
Aside from that Xfce

the one I'm using.

i like GNOME as an DE but prefer to use dwm

new here

vulkan going to happen or nah?

photoshop port ever happening in your opinion?

approx how many simple windows programs work with wine?

thanks in advance

What is it about networking that makes it so exhausting? How else would I learn why I can't access my Apache server from my phone? What's your favorite Linux networking book?

>vulkan going to happen or nah?
Yes
>photoshop port ever happening in your opinion?
No
>approx how many simple windows programs work with wine?
What do you mean with how many? If they're simple then they would probably work but I've never used wine so I'm not sure.

>vulkan going to happen or nah?
already happening big time, read about how many engines already implemented it or are working on it.
>photoshop port ever happening in your opinion?
hopefully not
>approx how many simple windows programs work with wine?
a metric fuckton, but why would you use them if you have well maintained native programs?

Learn generic application names and you won't need to practice brand worship. Now answer my question.

why is my virtualbox so slow?

>?
bacause you use the wrong settings or a shitty virtualbox?
what are you trying to do, on what, how and what do you expect?

The answer to your question is the fact that you have to ask it.

Ok guys, I've dabbled in Linux before, I use it a work and I'm not scared at all by CLI, I own a dedicaded server\seedbox, etc.

I never installed on my home destkop though and I want to change that.
The reason I stuck with Windows is basically photo editing and (not now, but possibly in the future) video editing.
Now I've got a couple of days to set it all up and I want to use it at home basically to have better integration with my seedbox (for example running rsync scripts, sshfs).

What would you do? Dual boot or install W7 in a virtual machine?
My sistem is extremely low power (AMD A8, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB 840 PRO + a couple of HDD) so I'm not sure a virtual machine will work smoothly.

cinnamon mint current version
oracle VM virtualbox
i expected 80-90% speed of my current dekstop, what i got was around 30%. also firefox wouldn't open.

friendly linux thread
friendly

>oracle VM virtualbox
try quemu-kvm, 90% in a VM is unrealistic if you have nothing to pass through.

Your hardware is shit but virtual machines are also not that great. Try dual booting.

Don't install Windows in a VM for photo and video editing, the performance would be too bad. Dual booting would be a better option.

Use different programs for editing. Blender, GIMP, inkscape, krita, cinelarra. This way you can just ditch windows. There is a high chance you will adjust to them sometime anyway so why not do it now?

none

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bspwm
github.com/baskerville/bspwm
github.com/windelicato/dotfiles/wiki/bspwm-for-dummies
manjaro.github.io/Manjaro-BspWM-15.12-released/

My wifi completely dies at random roughly very 6 hours or so.

Running Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial

nmcli says no networks are available

sudo iwlist scanning throws up a "resource temporarily unavailable"

journalctl shows the following right before the drop

wpa_supplicant[3398]: wlp7s0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx reason=0

Whats going on? Please help me fglt, you are my only hope.

Does this happen in Windows? If so, you probably have a hardware problem in either your wifi card or the access point.

The access point is fine (none of my other devices disconnect)

>Windows
I don't own a copy of Windows.

Can you tell us what chip that is? Maybe there is some info about it somewhere.

lshw says it's a BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter

>It was interesting to scroll through the BST thread and notice that literally nobody in them is running Linux. What gives?
Welcome to neo Sup Forums, aka Sup Forums's toilet, and because Sup Forums doesn't know anything about tech in general, they buy hardware and circlejerk about GPUs, speccy and battlestations, create nothing to hide threads and post frogs.

/desktop thread/ actually got 99% GNU/Linux users

What's a good music player that is similar to musicbee?

In particular I'm looking for something that can import all my playlists and also keep them in their corresponding folders.

I've just been using foobar in wine. Kill me.

toss-up whether to ask this in /sqt/ or /flgt/

I have a flash drive that I've used for years to install various Linux images as well as everyday file transfer. Every now and then it gets fucked up because I've messed with the boot record or the partitions and the easiest way to make it Windows-readable again is just to completely format it from Windows.

This time though, Windows isn't recognizing it at all - doesn't show up in explorer, or in the Disk Management graphic tool, or the diskpart command line utility. BUT Linux recognizes it, mounts it, and reads and writes it just fine - so I'm fairly sure the drive isn't dead.

What I have to work with: a little bit fucked up default install of Ubuntu 16.04 (installed it on old computer and then immediately started bootstrapping Arch from it, computer froze, force restarted, it said something about an emergency and dropped me into the Ubuntu root shell and X and the the network appear to be broken but everything else works) and Windows 10.

What I'm trying to do: get the flash drive recognizable by Windows so I can use Windows to install a Linux rescue image on it that has network connectivity so I can keep going with the arch bootstrap.

What I've tried:

$ sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdf # destroy the GPT and MBR data structures and exit.

result: "Found invalid GPT and valid MBR; converting MBR to GPT format in memory... GPT data structures destroyed! You may now partition the disk using fdisk or other utilities."

$ parted /dev/sdf mklabel msdos # create a new MBR/msdos partition table for BIOS systems
$ parted /dev/sdf mkpart primary fat32 1MiB 100% # create a fat32 primary partition that fills the disk

didn't result in a readable drive in windows though. I also tried again using the --zap flag for sgdisk (delete only GPT, not MBR structures) but no go. I know my windows machine boots with MBR/BIOS, not GPT/UEFI, but idk if that matters on removable media.

Any suggestions?

Xfce

Can someone help me find a LUKS cryptsetup tutorial to encrypt my Linux install

when does the new BLAG drop? ive been waiting for awhile despite it saying "coming soon", and the forum is a ghost town. worth the wait or try something else?

bump

Why i cant use ssh user@server on Arch
why anons, tell me, why

I wouldn't count on it, shit's dead

How about actually saying what the error is

it was not installed
he he he he he he

but you can tell me how to mount server folder on my hdd, i forgot how that was done

haHAA! xD

try checking in /dpt/ instead, because you would need to be retarded to program on windows

BST is closeted Sup Forums

What is Sup Forums's opinion on Pepper Flash Player (PPAPI) for a Chromium based browser, and the freshplayer plugin for Firefox. Are they safe alternatives or should they be avoided altogether?

purge all traces of flash

So, I wanted to play some all the Pokemon games.
Could you guys suggest me a good Game Boy emulator that work on Ubuntu?

What's a good Linux OS for a beginner trying to learn the OS for Linux+?

Ubuntu.

I still don't get it, why won't keepassx2 work on my system. I've literally made dummy databases with one character passwords and it always claims that I have the wrong key or that it is corrupt. Repairing them never works. I don't want to be stuck on version 0.4.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software#Game_console_emulators

Just used to this last week, took me 2 seconds to find it senpai. Step your google game up.

gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Being friendly:

- remove chromium. realize that all current browsers are trash and install the lesser evil: firefox nightly, tweak your about:config to make it secure

- don't use flash, you don't need it since 90% of the web switched to html5 and opening security holes on your pc for 10% of retarded webdevs isn't worth the hassle

- use mpv to stream your shit, it's the most comfy way to enjoy streams without useless flash cpu cycles and related garbage

tl;dr occupyflash.org/

Schmubuntu is the best babby OS, run it till you feel secure enough, if so, install Debian, since Ubuntu is lying and spying corporate garbage.

Passwords belong into your brain or a gpg secured txt file.

time to move to pass pham

but i guess if you want to figure it out, how are you installing it? did you try keepass2?