What's your excuse for not running your own openvpn server? I have one running on rPi 3...

What's your excuse for not running your own openvpn server? I have one running on rPi 3. Feels good to pipe all my phone traffic through it.

Where should the VPN end / where should I host the VPN? I don't really trust any hosting companies any more/less than my ISP.

does openvpn change you public ip address when using it on your home network?

No, you get the public IP of whatever the public IP of the server is. If you host a VPN at a server in your home you get your home IP.

What's the point?

Pointless unless you go hide a device running the VPN on some other network I would think?

>$curent_year
>it's still single threaded
>it's still cant go over 1gbit
>it do not support PAKE
>it do not support fast ciphers like salsa20
>it do not support proper passphrase only auth
>it's still easily blocked by dpi
>it's still do not hide packet sizes and timestamps

I don't know how

I have the rpi3 but im amazed I even managed to get Raspbian running. I feel like a retard having to google every little terminal command every time I want do do something, making my own VPN seems out of my capabilities

Becyase mixing your traffic with 100s of other people on the same IP is wayyyyy more anonymous, and if you are worried about security - your real home IP will be the only OP connecting to it and makes it very easy to trace you if someone gains access to your poorly configured openVPN server.

thanks famalam

>making my own VPN seems out of my capabilities

>being too retarded to run one command for install
>and lose couple hours into configuring

Look up hak5 on YouTube and watch the openvpn one script setup video. Literally one fucking command, you useless faggot.

But I do, it's pretty comfy

Cuz it's setup is fucking shit

Running openvpn in my vps.
Also have have openvpn running in my nas because I can only host openvpn and ssh from home network.

Running a vpn from a Pi at your home IP is retarded.
Get a low end VPS for 22usd a year and run a Vpn from your vps.
Some good offerings on lowendbox.com.

>Running openvpn in my vps.
What provider? Looking to change. I want to stay out of US and EU's all seeing eye. BTC or other shitcoin preferred.

ultravpn.eu paying 18€ for 6 months.
It's in germany which I find very fucking concerning and it's really cheap which makes me doubt what info are they selling about me forward.
Not keeping anything private or that I would mind losing there and only using it to host my shitty personal site and torrenting.
I ques it's better to torrent there so I can't be directly traced to my home.

Max Planck Institute has published research proving a German or French national is more likely to be under mass surveillance than a US American. I am in Belgium myself and things are getting really bad.

I might try nested vpns with off shore vps services.

>things are getting really bad.
Are you guys irrelevant yet, or do we need to keep pumping refugees into you?

What's the point then? It will just slow down everything.

If you host vpn in your home and you are travelling and using public wifi you could have secure connection to your home vpn. It will slightly slower but more secure.

Otherwise have vpn hosted somewhere else and do your things and you can't be traced back to your doorstep at least not that easily.

>hosted in your name
>one user
what's the fucking point? i don't need to get around internet filters.

using a massive VPN like PIA that isn't hosted in my name and I can pay with bitcoins is MUCH more anonymous.

>PIA, US-based
>privacy

Pick one and only one.

i run a vpn server in my home to access local devices without forwarding ports

can i chain on another vpn (mullvad/privateinternetaccess) so that my traffic to the internet is encrypted, but in a way so that i can still access all my local shit?

thanks

>muh botnet claims with no source
considering last month they sent out an email to all their customers that they were closing their russian servers because of the new law that was passed, and that NO ONE has ever been busted for ANYTHING because of PIA giving up logs they don't keep, i think i'm going to see some serious fucking evidence for PIA lying before i believe some retard on the internet claiming they do simply because they are based in the US.

protip: there is no law mandating they have to keep logs for users any longer than it takes for the automatic deletion system to delete them.

Living in a shithole with 20mbit down/1mbit up ADSL, I'd be better off kill myself before tunneling all my traffic through that.

Since rpis are small as fuck I'm about to start placing them in inconspicuous locations in public places. Plus a wireless dongle this is great for your own privacy.

it doesn't work for me when I try to run it on TCP 443

You can run 2 simultaneous vpn connections. One with default route (eg internet access) and second one with route to your home network. But it is not possible on mobile devices.
Or you could run p2p vpn like tinc.